American Politics

Screenshot_20210105-201025.jpg.0ed80c55f27958336ac1d684125db5fb.jpg

So far, so blue...

(I love the 644,444 number! XD )

*crosses fingers it stays that way*

2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

(I love the 644,444 number! XD )

heh.

now there's about 38% of the vote in  - 924,267 for Ossoff, and almost 758,298 for Purdue.  the results keep coming in, so it's probably more now.

44% in now.

Kornaki will be up all night.

we have CNN on.  it's kinda cool how Warnock and Ossoff have almost the same percentage as each other.

More 4s...

Screenshot_20210105-203231.thumb.jpg.5ec9b43df3e496ed03da5ff565fda44a.jpg

I have MSNBC on. I don't plan to stay up much past 9.

LOL!

i have a show on at 9.

so here's the question - if the votes are still coming in, and the votes aren't all tallied by tomorrow's Congressional proceedings of confirming the electoral college votes - who's in the senate for Georgia?  these two races could still be in process of being decided!

Good question.

Anywhere media-related you can ask it? Or legal- related?

1 minute ago, trystan said:

the only other place i could think to ask might be on facebook.....

Yup. Same thought here. So I found posts that related and copy/pasted your question to two different pages.

oh that's funny, cause i just posted it on my facebook as well! :) 

and thanks!

We'll see if anyone replies!

Creeping to red now... :(

ouch!

i got an answer - "Dosen't actually matter, tomorrow's vote is basically ceremonial, the electoral votes have already been certified."

Hmm. Good answer, I guess.

Amy Klobuchar was very upbeat and keeps spelling out that, no matter what stunts anyone pulls tomorrow, at 12:01 p.m. on January 20th, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will become President and Vice-President of the United States. It was very encouraging to hear her.

yeah, i thought it was a good answer.  

and i'm expecting shenanigans tomorrow, but i agree that Amy Klobuchar is right.... is it Jan 20 at 12:01 p.m. yet? :D 

1 confirmed so far!

1 very slightly blue ahead.

* keeps fingers crossed*

I have the impression, the Republicans are going completely insane now:

The Pennsylvania Senate's swearing-in ceremony devolved into a chaotic scene on Tuesday when state GOP senators refused to seat a Democratic member who had won reelection and seized control of the proceedings from the Democratic lieutenant governor after his objections.

Republicans in the chamber made a motion to not seat state Democratic Sen. Jim Brewster, whose narrow win in November is being challenged by his GOP opponent. The Pennsylvania Department of State has confirmed his win. The effort mirrors an ongoing push from some congressional Republicans to object to President-elect Joe Biden's presidential victory even as his win has been confirmed by the Electoral College and lawsuits seeking to overturn the results have been widely dismissed.

Source:  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/05/politics/pennsylvania-state-senate-gop/index.html

I shall keep my fingers crossed that both Democrats in Georgia will be confirmed to have won soon!

@Astreya - going insane? they've been there.  this year hasn't helped.  also the PA rethuglicans had removed the lieutenant governor from the proceeding too! (same article).  this is my state, and i didn't vote for any of these rethuglicans either. ugh.

(these are the same state rethuglicans who decided to keep it a secret when one of them tested positive for covid and just didn't tell the dems in the state house until a week later. ugh. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/pennsylvania-state-house-andrew-lewis/index.html.  i also googled "pa republicans test positive for covid" and got results from november & december as well. wtf?)

and Ossoff is getting there! *woot*

My opinion, just my opinion. Not intending to speak for anyone else.

I am 70 years old and have been little interested in politics. As a child the only thing I was told about politics by my parents was their opinion that Republicans were for big business and Democrats were for wage earners. As a voter, I voted for my favorite candidate whether Democrat or Republican. In several elections I saw allegations of wrongdoing, but they never affected the outcome. I never really understood the basic ideologic differences between the parties, except that when I heard an idea denounced as being "Liberal, bleeding heart" it always seemed to be something with which I agreed.. Suddenly things seem to really be going to pot.

Now I find myself trying to understand events that seem totally out of control and outside anything I can understand - starting with the candidacy and eventual win of Trump who seemed to be openly declaring beliefs that I would not have expected to be broadcast in public speeches and then declaring he had not said what he had been seen on camera saying. Now, I find myself trying to understand things I didn't even think Americans believed. I started by reading American Nations by Colin Woodard. In this book, he describes the various colonizers and the beliefs they held that governed the way they set up their various governments. It was really eye-opening, though I can't say I "understand" some of these beliefs.

I hadn't realized (or may have forgotten) that there was negotiating going on to allow the peaceful secession of states from the union, Woodard says that if Fort Sumpter hadn't been attacked the negotiations might have culminated in 4 new nations. At this point, I begin to wonder if such a split might be imminent or even inevitable. Every day, every move of this president is more frightening than the last.

Many of my most cherished beliefs are threatened by these events.

Edited by RainDear
correction

What the [all the censored words] is going on, America?

(Edit: the question is more or less rhetorical. I'm sure I can read a summary somewhere tomorrow. I hope nobody dies.)

Edited by Confused Cat

@Confused Cat I know right! Its chaos.

What do you guys think of this? Trump supporters just broke into the Capitol building in Washington, placing it onto lockdown.

BBC timeline: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-55558355

Guardian link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/jan/06/georgia-election-latest-news-senate-ossoff-warnock-democrats-republicans-trump-biden?page=with:block-5ff612a68f08de1e3e744705#block-5ff612a68f08de1e3e744705

Twitter timeline of a couple photos: https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1346906369232920576

I presume this is pretty big news. :) Unless this happens everytime a big shift in power happens in America.

Edited by lovecats99

my opinion

OMG!!! This CANNOT be happening! Not here! Please God no! Please, please let sanity prevail.

Edited by RainDear
correction

56 minutes ago, lovecats99 said:

@Confused Cat I know right! Its chaos.

What do you guys think of this? Trump supporters just broke into the Capitol building in Washington, placing it onto lockdown.

BBC timeline: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-55558355

Guardian link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/jan/06/georgia-election-latest-news-senate-ossoff-warnock-democrats-republicans-trump-biden?page=with:block-5ff612a68f08de1e3e744705#block-5ff612a68f08de1e3e744705

Twitter timeline of a couple photos: https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1346906369232920576

I presume this is pretty big news. :) Unless this happens everytime a big shift in power happens in America.

Ummm, I wasn't super invested in politics til 2016 (guess whyyyyyy). My peers and I - I believe we all cried out of despair that night.

This is not normal, I think?? As a child, what did I follow of Bush and Obama's election?

As a normal person just trying to live a better life, it's very scary. But it's not unexpected. A lot of us has been shouting "coup, coup" for months. But seeing what's happening at the Capital Building puts a lot of dread in me.

Counterpoint: the United States is a country founded on the genocide of its indigenous people, the United States has always been bathed in blood and has always continued to bathe in the blood of others (Vietnam War, see other wars the U.S. started/were in). So, maybe this is normal. I think this violence has been normal for the most marginalized groups in America...

My point is... this might be normal, but nonetheless I am scared. Here's to starting 2021 with despair!  I honestly don't even feel like joking about this. 

Edited by Kiyoura

Oh god - my thoughts are with you all. Says it ALL about what Trump has meant for your country. And HIS defence secretary refuses to call in the National Guard when the cops asked ? -  he actually had to override that !.... What kind of people are these (please don't answer that - I shall go watch TV; I can't stand it.)

Hang in there.

I hope that the people who got injured will recover fully soon. And hopefully, law enforcement will get this under control ASAP!

I am totally appalled and speechless. This is not the America I have known and loved. I have never been a particularly political person, but I do know that this is NOT normal.

I can not really say that I am surprised at what happened today, though. We could have all seen it coming. Trump has been inciting his followers to this since months before the election and has stepped up his efforts to a fever pitch recently. Sadly they believe him that the election was rigged. I think he has convinced himself as well, in his deluded, insane mind.

Stop the world. I want to get off!

Edited by purplehaze