Crisis

American Politics

What is so sad is that a lot of the orange ones followers are ready to fight and even hurt (I won't say kill, but it isn't far from that) those they consider opponents...  These people think that the orange one is god-like and everything he says is the truth, regardless of whether there is any truth in his 'proofs' and 'everyone knows that I am right and this was a steal' rhetoric...   And as we know, he is still planning and scheming...  I am starting to get wound up and he isn't worth the stress...  I'm 74 and when ever I heard any of his 'stuff' on the TV screen, I would literally  scream out at him...  sigh, hopefully that part is over... 

Anyway, Everyone have a Great Christmas, regardless of your faith, please take how I am meaning this in a happy, joyful way....  And a Healthy, Hopeful and Happy New Year... 

See you at this years end activities...😊

On one hand, another relief bill was finally signed.

On the other, the CASE act got signed into law along with it. That is Not Good for a lot of fanartists and streamers.

so the bill was actually signed? i just did a search, and none of the hits indicate that it's been signed.

yeah i heard something about that act as well..... but wiki says something about it being commercial streaming? i don't completely understand everything about it.

also, is it january 20th yet??

It's very muddled right now, but there's some word that it might've gotten enough votes from both sides to override a veto.

And there's two Bad Acts in there. One is the Felony Streaming one, which...basically makes streaming a felony that can land you in prison for 3 years.

The CASE act would let a copyright troll slam a $30,000 fine onto someone just for sharing a meme. Or any "copyrighted material".

And both are bundled into the COVID relief bill.

Edited by TacticianLyra

oh that's not good.

i think i did see something about that.... but it was streaming for commercial reasons.  (or can i not watch my shows on my sketchy websites anymore? 😮)

39 minutes ago, trystan said:

oh that's not good.

i think i did see something about that.... but it was streaming for commercial reasons.  (or can i not watch my shows on my sketchy websites anymore? 😮)

Sketchy website streaming is a felony now. And it's unclear whether it's for the user, or the website owner.

6 minutes ago, TacticianLyra said:

Sketchy website streaming is a felony now. And it's unclear whether it's for the user, or the website owner.

oh dang.

guess i'll have to figure out another way to watch some of my shows then!

hubby also said there's a bit in there that restaurant servers have to share their tips with the kitchen workers now too.

wonder if the new congress can rework and overturn some of these things....

Edited by trystan

not america - Big Tech and Big Content, as the article says.  

from our convo above - a friend of mine told me that i personally wouldn't get dinged with the felony for illegal streaming.  the copyright holders need to go after who's doing the distribution - in this case it would be the website owners of the site that i have the link for.  so what would happen on my end is that the website would go down.... and i wouldn't be able to find a new link anymore.

most likely, they're a trumpist.  they're all about the big business and big tech.

after following some links, the both acts/bills were introduced by Thom Tillis, who's a trumpist from North Carolina. 

what's interesting is that five of the names are Dems - that's half of them.

(Mr. TILLIS (R-NC) (for himself, Mr. LEAHY (D-VT), Mrs. BLACKBURN (R-NC), Ms. HIRONO (D-HI), Ms. CORTEZ MASTO (D-NV), Mr. CORNYN (R-TX), Mr. BLUMENTHAL (D-CT), Mr. COONS (D-DE), Mrs. LOEFFLER (R-GA), and Mr. PERDUE(R-GA))

and three of the retrumplicans are also old white dudes, so....

On 12/28/2020 at 5:56 PM, TacticianLyra said:

The proposal came from an American senator.

My opinion, just my opinion - not intending to speak for anyone else.

The actions or statements of any one individual member of a group are not necessarily shared by the entire group. I believe that this type of piggy backing/hiding of an act onto a popular/necessary law is intended to "sneak" something through the process. Not an indication of general acceptance.

Many of the expressed beliefs/opinions of our president while they may be shared by some Americans are not held by all Americans or  (I hope) any appreciable numbers of us.

10 minutes ago, RainDear said:

My opinion, just my opinion - not intending to speak for anyone else.

The actions or statements of any one individual member of a group are not necessarily shared by the entire group. I believe that this type of piggy backing/hiding of an act onto a popular/necessary law is intended to "sneak" something through the process. Not an indication of general acceptance.

Many of the expressed beliefs/opinions of our president while they may be shared by some Americans are not held by all Americans or  (I hope) any appreciable numbers of us.

i agree with this opinion

reps and senators have always done this kind of sneaky piggy backing and hiding of acts within other pieces of legislation.  and i'm sure many other reps and senators have said it has to stop.  as shown by this example, it hasn't stopped.

*sigh*

And Trump's attempts to steal an election he couldn't win go on! Now there is at least one Retrumplican Senator who plans to object when Congress meets next week to certify the electoral votes. Since there were already House members planning to do that it will force both bodies into debate and then a roll-call vote. It stands no chance of succeeding (I hope!), because both House and Senate would have to agree, but it provides yet another litmus test of Trumpian loyalty that many of the Republicans won't have enough backbone to oppose.

What a sad state of affairs. :(

as i told a friend of mine, we should have seen trump crying foul with the election back in 2017 (or whenever it was) that he called the media "Fake News" and all that BS.  i really hope Pence just does his job and reads the real, submitted votes from the electoral college on jan 6th.  and i also hope that the GA elections are both for Ossoff and Warnock.

i'm tired of all this cr@p.  really.

2 hours ago, trystan said:

i'm tired of all this cr@p.  really.

Aren't we all? Someone should have slapped Trump upside the head hard with the real facts long ago instead of encouraging him. If no one had gone along with him it would have been over by now. Now he has nearly half the country convinced that the election was rigged and it will take a long time for things to settle, if they ever really do. He is hell bent on making sure it stays in chaos.

My opinion, just that.

This is not the first election that has had claims of misbehavior. People tested for eligibility, people detoured around polling places, people called with misinformation, and on and on. Sometimes the Electoral College vote does not reflect the popular vote. No matter such claims, the results have always been accepted, the transfer of power is always done gracefully and peacefully. Since the 1960's when I first paid attention, these things have happened and things just go on. This is the first time that the peaceful transfer of power has been threatened, but by no means the first time claims were made.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Now he has nearly half the country convinced that the election was rigged and it will take a long time for things to settle, if they ever really do. He is hell bent on making sure it stays in chaos.

agreed.

but i'm not sure he would have recognized the truth even if he got whacked upside the head with it.

48 minutes ago, RainDear said:

No matter such claims, the results have always been accepted, the transfer of power is always done gracefully and peacefully. Since the 1960's when I first paid attention, these things have happened and things just go on.

agreed.

trump is the main one who doesn't seem to have accepted the results this time round.

i kinda remember the 2000 election and the hanging chads in florida, but there was a much bigger kerfluffle than i knew about.  but in the end, Gore conceded, and he was the one who read the votes for Bush for president on that day in january 2001.

1 hour ago, trystan said:

but i'm not sure he would have recognized the truth even if he got whacked upside the head with it.

Maybe not, but if enough people in the party had had enough backbone to say "Enough, already!" I don't think we would be where we are now.

Instead they have dodged taking any real position on it for fear of displeasing someone somewhere and interfering with their next election hopes. They are constantly thinking about the next election, even before the current one is over. Term limits, anyone? It seems the only Republicans who have openly denied his claims are ones who had already decided not to serve another term.

19 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It seems the only Republicans who have openly denied his claims are ones who had already decided not to serve another term.

unfortunately, you're correct there.

and from back a post from you, that's why those in lock-step with trump are Retrumplicans. ugh. :angry:

Edited by trystan
clarification

Representative Adam Kinzinger has a video on Youtube that is worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8LtmYEQpuk

"In this moment in time, we have a choice as leaders: 1) take the easy path for reelection and embrace conspiracy, or 2) lead, tell the truth, no matter the cost."

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Representative Adam Kinzinger has a video on Youtube that is worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8LtmYEQpuk

"In this moment in time, we have a choice as leaders: 1) take the easy path for reelection and embrace conspiracy, or 2) lead, tell the truth, no matter the cost."

very well put, Rep Kinzinger!

now we need the rest of his party to sound like that too!

Your outgoing president is deranged. That phone call should be cause for criminal proceedings.

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Your outgoing president is deranged. That phone call should be cause for criminal proceedings.

yes and yes.

hubby says trump is still pandering to his base, to say "see? i'm still fighting!" 

there's over 100 reps and a dozen senators who are planning on challenging the electoral college vote on the 6th. this is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Lagie said:

Yeah, I ... yeah. Day by day I continue to say 'how is anyone letting this go on???'