Crisis

American Politics

i was posting text posts that said similar sentiments in 2017.  while it's nice to see people "waking up," they really should have done it either in 2017, or summer of 2016, and not let trump even win the nomination. the republicons in congress only care about their wallets, and they're not saying anything against the orange idjit.

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

I know how people laughed at me when I said four years ago that I now expect that soon no one will ask anymore how Hitler and the Nazis could manage to grab power in Weimar Germany to turn it into the horrific dictatorship of the Third Reich.

I know I didn't say this as early as 4 years ago, but I eventually figured it out, too. Let's just hope that the people of the US get rid of this dictator before he has another 4 years to sink in his claws and teeth and appointed judges and the Reps and gun-slinging "good citizens" and... and... and...

@olympe

I told it to my parents, brother and in-laws and some of my brother's friends shortly before Trump was even elected, and they made fun of me then. By now they don't, although one of my brother's friends stated that he supports Trump and other autocrats (and the AfD in Germany) because they "show people the way". When I asked him "and which way exactly would that be?", he had some problems to articulate a sensible answer, though.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

I told it to my parents, brother and in-laws and some of my brother's friends shortly before Trump was even elected, and they made fun of me then. By now they don't, although one of my brother's friends stated that he supports Trump and other autocrats (and the AfD in Germany) because they "show people the way". When I asked him "and which way exactly would that be?", he had some problems to articulate a sensible answer, though.

Isn't it always like this, though?

"They show the way." - "Which way?" - "Uhm, ahm..."

"They do something." - "What would that be?" - "Uhm..."

"They're against the establishment." - "And that's a good thing how?" - "They're against government control and for law and order." An paradox in and of itself. 

"They're against immigrants." - "And that's a good thing because...?" - "You just don't get it." Definitely.

"You're the first person who disagrees with this." No, buddy, I'm the first person in your right-wing social bubble who ever disagreed with it. And I'm PROUD of it.

"You've been misinformed by fake news / government-controlled media." And you think that some blogs, tweets, forums and facebook groups are more reliable because nobody can call out all of them because there are too many of them? You really should look into the Flat Earth Society. Or Young Earth Creationism. Also, wear a foil hat just in case aliens and mind control are real...

@olympe

I'm always particularly taken aback with the "They're against the establishment." part. I like to reply then "You really think they aren't the establishment themselves? *smh*

Oh and "They drain the swamp" when they actually swamp the drain with their own nepotism and cronyism. (This pun works best in English, though - so no use for German ijits)

Edited by Astreya

20 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Oh and "They drain the swamp" when they actually swamp the drain with their own nepotism and cronyism. (This pun works best in English, though - so no use for German ijits)

another trump lie.  he doesn't know the meaning of "drain."

there's a few weasels (as hubby calls them) in the senate that also need to go - Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham are the two biggest ones that must get voted out.  one of my own senators (Pat Toomey) has to go too, but he's not up for re-election until 2022.

Dan Rather Facebook post (hidden for length):

Spoiler

There is no more time for silence. There is no more time for choosing party over country. There is no more time for weighing the lesser of two evils. All women and men of conscience must speak or they are complicit in America lurching towards a dangerous cliff of autocracy and chaos.

This is a moment of reckoning unlike any I have seen in my lifetime. I have seen this country in deep peril, as the hungry begged for sustenance during the Great Depression, as the Nazis marched across Europe and the Japanese across Asia, as missiles were moved into Cuba, as our political leaders were murdered, as a president ran a criminal conspiracy from the Oval Office, as planes were hijacked into skyscrapers. All of these were scary times, but through it all I never worried about a president actively undermining American democracy and inciting violence to do so - even Nixon, for all of his criminal activity.

What Donald Trump said today are the words of a dictator. To telegraph that he would consider becoming the first president in American history not to accept the peaceful transfer of power is not a throw-away line. It's not a joke. He doesn't joke. And it is not prospective. The words are already seeding a threat of violence and illegitimacy into our electoral process.

I suspect he is doing this because he feels he needs to. It is the same reason he sought dirt on Joe Biden, because he is deeply afraid of losing. Losing an election could mean losing in a court of law. It could mean prison time and ruin. But I suspect Trump's motives are more instinctual. He needs to hold on to power for the sake of power. He cannot lose, even if he has to cheat to win. Even if he has to blow up American democracy. He considers little if any about 200,000 plus deaths from COVID. Why would he care about our Constitution or Bill of Rights?

There is no sugarcoating the dangers and darkness we live in. But I remain heartened that the majority of Americans do not want this. Trump is in danger of losing states that he should be winning handily. Yes, his base is energized and numerous. But so is the opposition. I have seen opposition parties in foreign countries channel the morality of their causes to bring great change. And most of those opposition movements didn't have the strength, power, and resources of those who stand against Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has himself defined the stakes of the election. This is a battle for American democracy as we've known it. We are well past warning shots. Allies across the political spectrum are ringing alarm bells. Right now, all those seeking to defeat Donald Trump know winning a close election may not be enough. The size of a victory will likely matter. Failing that, what happens? I don't know. But I would say we all should try to remain steady. Try to conserve our energy for the battles ahead. Be committed to your community, your country, and your conscience. If enough Americans of decency and courage come together, the future of this nation can be better, fairer, and more just.

37 minutes ago, Lagie said:

All women and men of conscience must speak or they are complicit in America lurching towards a dangerous cliff of autocracy and chaos.

this, right there.

i completely agree with Mr. Rather.

i'd repost that tweet that Lagie shared, but it's already been shared.

DisgustingUntimelyApe.gif.e996883e23028837da59889ee59a8eb9.gif

pretty sure i'll be voting in person.

Well, if Joe Biden should win, plus as there are about 25 (IIRC) senators that are up for re-election, where maybe some of the Republicans could be replaced by Democrats, the most elegant way to solve the problem would be to expand the Supreme Court with 4 new judges from the liberal side. And then they should start to overhaul the Supreme Court by setting up a term limit for the judges (which should be a little longer than two Presidential terms, but decidedly shorter than "life-long".

yes yes yes yes yes.

this is the key phrase to all of this though:

20 minutes ago, Astreya said:

if Joe Biden should win

so much this.

40 minutes ago, trystan said:

yes yes yes yes yes.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

Well, if Joe Biden should win

this is the key phrase to all of this though:

so much this.

No, this is not exactly the key phrase. The key phrase is "if Joe biden should become president". Because Joe biden winning =/= him being president, if Trump has anything to say about it.

12 minutes ago, olympe said:

The key phrase is "if Joe biden should become president". Because Joe biden winning =/= him being president, if Trump has anything to say about it.

*sigh*  you're right.

they'd be synonymous if it was anyone other than trump.

Hypothetically, what would happen if either of the candidates were to die before the election? Would Pence carry out the term and there would be no election? Would the democrats have to pick a new candidate? I've been worried about this possibility given the ages of them both. I don't want a continuation of the nightmare.

Pence would only carry on until the election; if between election and inauguration - he would carry on for those few months - as I understand it. I believe there is no way to change the election date in ANY circumstances - Trump already floated that idea and was shot down by BOTH sides.

Sadly I know some very good people who are in Trump's camp and will hear no criticism of him.

7 minutes ago, wonton55912 said:

It's hidden behind a paywall for me, tldr?

Not surprised. I can only access one or two a month without paying. :(