Crisis

American Politics

Yes, pretty much "oops". I think the only way to stop Trump for good is with a bullet between the eyes or something similar. (Please note that I don't advocate this. I'm not asking for anyone to actually commit murder.)

Well, the reason for the often quoted Second Amendment is to be able to overthrow a bad government, isn't it? The problem is that the guys with the guns actually support Mr.Trump...

5 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Capt Sully's opinion

wow.  some powerful tweets there.

Yeah.... and no doubt Da Dom is thinking the same thing about Johnson....

From a man who admires dictators from other countries, I'm really not surprised. Nervous, but not surprised.

5 hours ago, olympe said:

oof.

one of the things i'm scared about (and there's a few of them) is that when (let's be optimistic here) Biden wins, trump is a lame duck between election day (nov 3) and inauguration day (jan 20) - 2 and a half months - who knows WHAT trump will try to ram through and sign as executive orders. 

it's also been a thing since George Washington first passed his presidency to John Adams that's it's a PEACEFUL transfer/transition of power.  this? this is ... like being nibbled to death by cats .... totally not normal, like everything has been since trump was inaugurated in 2017.

(points if anyone understands my small print?)

22 minutes ago, trystan said:

it's also been a thing since George Washington first passed his presidency to John Adams that's it's a PEACEFUL transfer/transition of power.  this? this is ... like being nibbled to death by cats .... totally not normal, like everything has been since trump was inaugurated in 2017.

I would rather your B5 fine print than another four years of the scary orange dude.

Edited by Lagie

19 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I would rather your B5 fine print than another four years of the scary orange dude.

oh me too! cats are adorable. 

and that orange dude IS scary.

Well. We lost Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

America's ~censor evasion removed~

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Edited out for censor evasion

3 hours ago, TacticianLyra said:

Well. We lost Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

America's ~censor evasion removed~

Sadly, agreed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-dies-87-n670701?fbclid=IwAR1tvOaO-6LDocpd-tgw-6zAiZ9yAMHmnySR3shMctXc2jk9rOxySYKJaXo

Edited by purpledragonclaw

her last wishes were to wait until there's a new President to have her seat filled then.

McConnell's going to shove someone else through, we know this.  maybe enough (4) repubs in the senate will vote with the dems to not confirm? (mitt romney...)

This is a national tragedy. I hope all Dems and enough Republicans do what the Republicans did to Obama, in other words delay, delay, delay! Trump has already stacked the deck in the Supreme Court. Our whole legal system is in jeopardy if they manage to get another nominee through. I'm not sure I would still be willing to live in the U.S.  if they do, women and women's rights watch out! Among other issues.

That's grievous news indeed. RIP Ruth Joan Bader Ginsburg.

Out of curiosity - I read somewhere that it would be possible to expand the Supreme Court to more than 9 Judges? Is that really possible or do I remember wrongly? If it is possible, then why not simply decide to appoint more judges later on to neutralise the Trumpist ijits?

17 minutes ago, Astreya said:

That's grievous news indeed. RIP Ruth Joan Bader Ginsburg.

Out of curiosity - I read somewhere that it would be possible to expand the Supreme Court to more than 9 Judges? Is that really possible or do I remember wrongly? If it is possible, then why not simply decide to appoint more judges later on to neutralise the Trumpist ijits?

Yes, it's true.  That isn't a set number. And hopefully Biden get elected so if they (Republicans) push their nominee through he can add seats to the Supreme Court to balance it out, also assuming he gets the support in Congress for this. But in the event Trump gets elected for an 4 yrs it could take a really long time before that happens. That's also assuming the President after that is a Democrat. And who knows what damages could be done in that time.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:27 PM, trystan said:

oof.

one of the things i'm scared about (and there's a few of them) is that when (let's be optimistic here) Biden wins, trump is a lame duck between election day (nov 3) and inauguration day (jan 20) - 2 and a half months - who knows WHAT trump will try to ram through and sign as executive orders. 

Yeah I understood it... :(

4 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

This is a national tragedy. I hope all Dems and enough Republicans do what the Republicans did to Obama, in other words delay, delay, delay! Trump has already stacked the deck in the Supreme Court. Our whole legal system is in jeopardy if they manage to get another nominee through. I'm not sure I would still be willing to live in the U.S.  if they do, women and women's rights watch out! Among other issues.

It is indeed. A rare voice of sanity up there.

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

Frankly, I think the US really needs some serious overhaul of both election system and Supreme Court.

Personally, I think the German Federal Constitutional Court world be a good model for the latter as it is a comparatively modern institution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Constitutional_Court

Just as long as they get rid of the Electoral College. That's the REAL crime.

13 hours ago, trystan said:

her last wishes were to wait until there's a new President to have her seat filled then.

McConnell's going to shove someone else through, we know this.  maybe enough (4) repubs in the senate will vote with the dems to not confirm? (mitt romney...)

Sadly it seems that most Republicans are in lock-step with Trump and McConnell. I doubt there is enough sanity there to do the right thing. :( Romney is not enough by himself.

You obviously need term limits for judges in the Supreme Court, too.

Out of curiosity - what would be needed to achieve that? Who sets this stuff? The Supreme Court itself?

Edited by Astreya