Crisis

American Politics

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

And he hasn't had several mini-strokes, days the orange buffoon, but since no one says he did, why is he denying it?

from the Hill:

trump "was responding to a new book that reported Vice President Pence was on standby in the event Trump was incapacitated during an unscheduled visit to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center last November."

(https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/514637-white-house-physician-says-trump-healthy-no-mini-strokes)

he was the one that mentioned it first XD 

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

Trump says you'd feel safe if he were President. HE is President but he doesn't seem to know that.

(And ya'll certainly aren't safe as things stand...)

you're right.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

There are already riots going on, as well as suppression of certain minorities (looks at people of color).. Which pretty much catapults Trump beyond or around Hitler's year 1938. WWII started in 1939... Just saying.

double yikes.

I guess one of the really big problems of the US is rooted in this here (mind you, this was set in motion in 2012):

Texas GOP rejects ‘critical thinking’ skills. Really.

By Valerie Strauss

July 9, 2012

In the you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff department, here’s what the Republican Party of Texas wrote into its 2012 platform as part of the section on education:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Yes, you read that right. The party opposes the teaching of “higher order thinking skills” because it believes the purpose is to challenge a student’s “fixed beliefs” and undermine “parental authority.”

It opposes, among other things, early childhood education, sex education, and multicultural education, but supports “school subjects with emphasis on the Judeo-Christian principles upon which America was founded.”

When taken with the other parts of the education platform(see below), it seems a fair conclusion that the GOP Party in Texas doesn’t think much of public education. Unfortunately, this notion isn’t limited to the GOP in Texas but is more commonly being seen across the country by some of the most strident of “school reformers.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

O

M

G

Even I am surprised.... and when it comes to the GOP combined with Texas - that takes a LOT.

So Biden will be in Kenosha tomorrow he will meet with the Blame family, as well as, holding a community meeting and making at least one local stop. Not sure if he intends to talk with local law enforcement.

Hopefully this will calm some people's fear that he isn't taking this seriously. I think he wanted to wait till after his press briefing to help setting up the conversation and tone for this trip. That's just my take on things. I think it will be a good contrast against Trump's visit there.

Source:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democratic-nominee-joe-biden-plans-kenosha-trip-on-thursday-countering-president-donald-trump-e2-80-99s-law-and-order-message/ar-BB18DZBb?ocid=uxbndlbing

On another note, Trump has actually been encouraging people to mail in ballots and then going in person to vote, claiming that if the system is as good as they say they won't be able to vote, which would be voters fraud if they successfully vote twice and a crime if their mail in ballot has already been counted. He is encouraging people to commit a crime. Not surprising really. For me Florida has done mail in ballots for quite a while and I refuse to let Trump and his cronies scare me into not using that system. I will trust in the system in place here. I know in some places like Florida you can still vote in person if your mail in ballot has not yet been counted, only one vote would be counted and is not a crime to go in person to vote despite having mailed in a ballot, the mail in ballot would simply be discounted. But that likely would not be true in every state.

@AngelsSin

In Germany, when you do a postal vote, your name gets a huge stamp over your name in the election roll of your constituency that you already voted by absentee ballot. Don't you have something like that, too?

(I already voted for our local elections (Kommunalwahlen in NRW, scheduled for Sep 13, 2020) last week by something that is called "direct voting" - there you can go to the city hall any work day during the 4 weeks before the election proper with your election voting card and get the postal voting ballots and an envelope right into your hand. Then you can vote in a kind of cubicle they set up there and put the ballots into the unmarked envelope (which is then put into another special envelope you are given by the polling clerk -after you sealed the first envelope- that legitimises the vote) into the ballot box and thus your postal vote is as safe as a normal vote on the election day. Do you happen to have something practical like this in the US, too?)

Edited by Astreya

13 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

On another note, Trump has actually been encouraging people to mail in ballots and then going in person to vote, claiming that if the system is as good as they say they won't be able to vote, which would be voters fraud if they successfully vote twice and a crime if their mail in ballot has already been counted. He is encouraging people to commit a crime.

I guess he wants to make sure there really is voter fraud. There seems to be no end to this man's lawlessness.

At best his comment was irresponsible, at worst it was pure evil!

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I guess he wants to make sure there really is voter fraud. There seems to be no end to this man's lawlessness.

At best his comment was irresponsible, at worst it was pure evil!

saw in one of my emails (or maybe it was on twitter?) it was illegal too.

My opinion.

I assume this will only apply to cities having BLM protests. Those are lawless terrorism. Even if the protesters are unarmed, peaceful, and the only violence is introduced by his federal agents.

The anti-mask, anti-lockdown protests are fine by him, even when protesters bring and brandish, and threaten with their guns.

"double standard" anyone??

3 minutes ago, RainDear said:

I assume this will only apply to cities having BLM protests. Those are lawless terrorism. Even if the protesters are unarmed, peaceful, and the only violence is introduced by his federal agents.

i believe, in trump's mind, it's because the mayors are Democrats.  if they're republicans, i'm sure there's no problem in those cities.....

4 minutes ago, RainDear said:

"double standard" anyone??

he's very much "do as i say what gives me money.  everyone else, go F yourself"

20 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

On another note, Trump has actually been encouraging people to mail in ballots and then going in person to vote, claiming that if the system is as good as they say they won't be able to vote, which would be voters fraud if they successfully vote twice and a crime if their mail in ballot has already been counted. He is encouraging people to commit a crime. Not surprising really. For me Florida has done mail in ballots for quite a while and I refuse to let Trump and his cronies scare me into not using that system. I will trust in the system in place here. I know in some places like Florida you can still vote in person if your mail in ballot has not yet been counted, only one vote would be counted and is not a crime to go in person to vote despite having mailed in a ballot, the mail in ballot would simply be discounted. But that likely would not be true in every state.

I heard about that, too. On my local radio channel, no less. I also heard that this fraud can cost you around 10,000$, so don't follow this advice.

4 hours ago, trystan said:

saw in one of my emails (or maybe it was on twitter?) it was illegal too.

And you think that means anything to him ?

38 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And you think that means anything to him ?

oh, of course not!

1 hour ago, olympe said:

I heard about that, too. On my local radio channel, no less. I also heard that this fraud can cost you around 10,000$, so don't follow this advice.

I don't intend to, I intend to trust in the system and not let his fear mongering affect me. I have no intention to go vote in person. All those people and COVID circulating possibly among them. Much rather not. 🤯

Hubby & I will be voting by mail (again) - between his health issues & the virus there really isn't any choice. Won't be a problem, since we are both in the age group that even Texas lets us do so.

I hope to goodness your votes - and others - arrive and actually get counted....

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

I hope to goodness your votes - and others - arrive and actually get counted....

Since we're in a heavily Democratic county ... I'm pretty sure they will be B). I actually prefer voting in person, but under current circumstances, that isn't a good idea.

It amazes me how he continually denies things that are prooved on tape, video, or Twitter!

10 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It amazes me how he continually denies things that are prooved on tape, video, or Twitter!

honestly, it's kinda getting old and tired that he pulls that kind of cr@p.  and that his base believes him. *sigh*

i'm so TIRED of him.  is Biden president yet? XD 

NO and - he isn't going to be. The GOP base believes the cheeto and he will get back in, however he achieves this. The only upside is that he is clearly so ill that he can't last a full term - and that alone will save us from Ivanka....

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

NO and - he isn't going to be. The GOP base believes the cheeto and he will get back in, however he achieves this. The only upside is that he is clearly so ill that he can't last a full term - and that alone will save us from Ivanka....

Yes, but then we'll have to deal with Mike Pence. He's not so blatantly whackdoodle as Trump, but he's one that would like to see society back in the 1950s or earlier, with those "conservative Christian values" of his.* I mean, he's spent plenty of time as VP and before speaking at anti-abortion rallies and as governor of Indiana, signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which was designed to protect business owners who didn't want to "participate" in same-sex weddings, although he had to modify the bill when several large corporations threatened to leave the state.

And if I remember correctly, the way the system is set up, while no one can be elected to more than two terms as President anymore, a former VP who ascends to the Presidency with two years or less remaining in his predecessor's term, is still eligible to serve for two full terms in addition to serving out his predecessor's term - giving the real possibility of up to 10 years of Pence. An unlikely scenario, perhaps, but possible all the same.

Indeed - but at least Pence has a functioning brain. Not functioning the way we would like, but still.