Crisis

American Politics

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

And apparently he was "surprised" at criticism from his advisors about his "performance". He thought he did a great job. But doesn't he always? He's done a great job on coronavirus, too!

Remember he thinks he's the greatest President we've ever had.  He's deluded.  

His level of delusion frightens me, but I'm afraid a lot of it is more sinister than delusion. His actions have been very deliberate, including his debate performance.

He thinks that people love his actions.  He is a spoiled billionaire and has always (until his presidency) heard "Yes, sir, that's right sir."  Now he is getting pushback and he doesn't know how to handle it.  Thank goodness not all billionaires are like that.  One good thing I can say about him though is that he's only taking a dollar a year for his salary.  

27 minutes ago, Classycal said:

One good thing I can say about him though is that he's only taking a dollar a year for his salary.  

Perhaps, but if what I read is true his businesses have profited enormously from his presidency. He is not giving away rooms at Mar-a-Lago for all the secret service people and staff that travel with him every time he goes there. The US gov't is footing the bill for that.

Yes, I've heard that, too, but wouldn't they have to pay anywhere else except Camp David?

I think they became aware that people trusted the CDC more than the White House, so they had to take action to "remedy" that...

(this belongs to the Corona thread, sorry - will repost it there)

Edited by Astreya

56 minutes ago, Astreya said:

I think they became aware that people trusted the CDC more than the White House, so they had to take action to "remedy" that...

(this belongs to the Corona thread, sorry - will repost it there)

there's quite a bit of crossover between these two threads, actually.

although the virus shouldn't be politicized....

36 minutes ago, trystan said:

although the virus shouldn't be politicized....

Again - Just my opinion: I totally agree Covid shouldn't be politicized, if only the politicos didn't insist on doing so.

1 hour ago, RainDear said:

Again - Just my opinion: I totally agree Covid shouldn't be politicized, if only the politicos didn't insist on doing so.

and i also agree with your opinion.

I wish i was better at transfering images. There is this awesome post. Trumpkin. Orange on the outside. Hollow on the inside and should be thrown out in November! 😻 

Edited by AngelsSin

You mean like this?

trumpkin.jpg

By the way, I just heard on the news that Mr.Trump and his wife were tested positive for Covid-19 today.

@AngelsSin

Oh, your pic is much better than the one I found!

Edited by Astreya

1 minute ago, Astreya said:

@AngelsSin

Oh, your pic is much better than the one I found!

It's perfect right!? Anyone feel free to post the pic if you can so noone has to click the link i dont know how 😵

Edited by AngelsSin

Absolutely!

By the way, out of curiosity - what would happen with the US election if Mr.Trump would be out of commission for longer?

I think as long as he doesn't die from it or is incapacitated it should go on maybe the other debates will be postponed or rescheduled maybe they will have him video chat in or something. Although I'm guessing he won't want to answer questions like does he now wish he took a different stance on masks and such now that he caught it himself? If he dies i have no clue what would happen we i don't believe ever had something like this happen during a presidential election.

It possible Pence could take over as the VP is supposed to take over running the country in such a case but there is no presidence for something like this literally during the election. 

Edited by AngelsSin

Thanks. I think the GOP made a mistake not to set up further candidates in primaries in that case. The Democrats could just pick one of the other people from their primaries, I guess. (And I meant Mr.Trump would just have to get long covid that could simply put him out of commission, nothing worse.)

Here you go - direct pic:

trumpkin.jpg

Lol i was just trying to cover every eventuality as he is quite old.

I think just picking a different candidate would be problematic as the people feel very strongly for their candidate. Its possible we would for the first time in our history postpone the election and hold new primaries and a new election. But VP's are supposed to take over if something happens to the president and since the election is ongoing. They could just let it play out and the VP of the elected party would become President.

In the end what they do about everything depends on how bad he gets symptoms.

Thanks for posting the pic for me!!

Edited by AngelsSin

Normally one would think there should be provisions what they need to do if a candidate is incapacitated just before an election.

In Germany things are easier as we only elect parties, and the winning parties then choose the chancellor, so in a way it is less an election of a person. (Although one could argue that the "Kanzlerkandidat" ("chancellor candidate") is who is elected, but technically German elections are about the parties, not so much the heads.)

There might be provisions but if so I'm not aware of what they are. I,  given the Republican party wouldn't want them to have the power to decide who they want as President. I have more faith in the Democratic party, but still wouldn't want them to have the final say in who is president.  we would have ended up with Burnie Sanders and while good intentioned i think he would be problematic.

Edited by AngelsSin

I assume the difference is as the US president has much more power than the Bundeskanzler here. In Germany we were burnt when Hitler grabbed the power and then became a dictator by abusing the original democratic mechanisms, and so there are precautions that the head of state (Germany has a Bundespräsident as head of state - the chancellor is only the head of the government) nowadays has much less power, and the setup is a bit different from what you have in the US.

He probably won't have any symptoms. He was only tested because that other person tested positive, so chances are he could remain totally asymptomatic, and with his undeserved luck, he will.

So now he'll be able to say "see, just a little flu" forever. (Even if he does get mild symptoms.)

If he gets more severe symptoms and survives: oh cool, he's invincible, the perfect president!

If he dies: congrats, President Pence. (And hello, future conspiracy theories about "what really killed Trump".)

And if Pence dies before the election (or inauguration) too - you get Pelosi....

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And if Pence dies before the election (or inauguration) too - you get Pelosi....

Wouldn't it be McConnell?

I just hope they had him far enough away from Joe Biden at the debate that all his hate-spewing didn't spew corona virus aerosols, too!