Skypool

Harry Potter Book Discussion

Well, JKR is definitely not the first author changing historical facts to match their books.

I don't find this dramatic in any way.

Quiz thing. :3

1.Who is your favorite Weasley twin?

Fred. I prefer the name. xd.png

2.Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?

No. ;-;

3.What house would you be in?

Probably Ravenclaw.

4.Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY?

YES.

5.What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle?

I thought it interesting. :3 And Harry didn't go absolutely mad over Cho, like another series' main character.

6.Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope?

It'd be funny. So, yeah. xd.png

7.Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with?

No. ._.

8.Who was your least like teacher?

Slughorn. He assisted Voldemort/Tom Riddle. :L

9.When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him?

Yes. :'(

10.When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry?

Nope.

11.Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie?

Yesh. Best movie and book. <3

12.If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?

Naww.

13.RonxLavender,,, Good or bad

Bad.

14.RonxFleur...Good or Bad

Funny, therefore good! laugh.gif

15.What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse?

The animagus spell. :3

16.What is your favorite magical subject?

Transfiguration.

17.How many times have you read the HP series?

I honestly don't know. xd.png Lots of times, though. I got the 4th/5th books when I was 8, as the year is noted in those two. So I must've got the first one when I was 7? o.o Jeez.

18.Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying?

No. ;-; I couldn't kill someone!

So I finally got around to reading the HP series. The first book wasn't all that good, but I just finished the third book and it /was/ all that good. wink.gif

Hogwarts castle dates later, much later, than 990, which is when Rowling put the founders. Surnames became sort of common in the 11th century, so, if wizarding society is behind, family names would start in about 1160 well over 100 years after the founders. And what does wizarding society have to do with a muggle orphanage?

I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm saying it's incorrect.

You could think of it as up to a point the wizarding world was ahead of the muggle world, but because of the dependence on magic, the muggle world developed technology much faster and eventually outpaced them.

The name thing could have come about as a way of identifying purebloods, an idea which was prevalent in the founder's time apparently. Keeping track of who was magic and who came from families of good blood would have been something Slytherin wanted. Maybe muggles got the idea of surnames from wizards lul.

The orphanage had nothing to do with Hogwarts. Tom's mother was abandoned by her muggle ah, baby daddy, while pregnant and dying and she probably had no place to go. I got the impression the wizarding world generally hated Salazar's line and that's why they kept to themselves, which is why she didn't seek magic help. (Though that could be a self-inflicting cycle.) Maybe she didn't know how, with how her father raised her. Maybe she had abandoned magic by then to stay with the man she loved and the muggle orphanage was the only place she knew to go.

As to the earlier question about sorting: Crabbe and Goyle also came from very Slytherin families. If the Hat could see Harry doing well in Slytherin, who's to say it also couldn't see that C+G would be needed in Slytherin? Possibly a flimsy excuse. I do agree that the houses aren't what first glance would lead one to think, possibly because we get most of the book through Harry's POV basically, and it's pretty much necessitated that someone is going to be the "bad guy" and "good guy" with the way JK wrote the plot. If we could more extensively dive into the students and houses and see it from their side, things would look different.

ETA: A friend and I got into a discussion the other day on Draco Malfoy. How do YOU all read his character? Is he a pathetic excuse for a villain, a coward; or is he someone who had no choice, a victim of circumstance?

Or other?

Edited by NixAyum

I think Draco is actually a lot more well-developed than some people give him credit for. He starts off as a spoiled little child of a wealthy and noble family, easily influenced by what he heard his parents and the people they worked with say. He thought that by going along with his father's wishes and ideals, that he would prove himself to be a better wizard than his rivals. When Voldemort came back and Draco got a chance to see how the man his father had glorified really was, he began to doubt and fear a lot of things. Voldemort ordered him to kill Dumbledore. Malfoy was afraid of killing him when it came the time to do it, despite having obvious contempt for the man. He didn't want to become some cold-blooded killer.

Not to mention that in the seventh book, when Harry was captured and Draco was brought to identify him--the big chance to get rid of his rival once and for all!--he balked. He might have hated Harry, but he didn't want to see him die. He showed actual compassion, even if he was always too scared to actively try to defend Harry or anyone else.

I don't know, that's just how I see him.

[*]Who is your favorite Weasley twin?

Both.

[*]Did you want Fred, Tonks, Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?

I had a feeling Mad-Eye would, but I wasn't expecting the others to, no.

[*]What house would you be in?

Gryffindor probably.

[*]Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY?

He DID stay on permanently.

[*]What did you think of the Potter, Diggory, and Chang love triangle?

Typical teen romance.

[*]Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope?

As cliche` as it is, yes, I'd have loved them to.

[*]Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with?

No. :/

[*]Who was your least like teacher?

Its a tie between Quirrel, Umbridge and Lockheart.

[*]When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him?

Not in the slightest.

[*]When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry?

No, I was sad though.

[*]Did you like how they portrayed  the fifth movie?

No.

[*]If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?

Who wouldn't want to?

[*]RonxLavender, Good or bad

Absolutely fail.

[*]RonxFleur... Good or Bad

Bad. They would've never worked out.

[*]What is your favorite spell, charm, jinx, or curse?

Fiendfyre Curse.

[*]What is your favorite magical subject?

Herbology.

[*]How many times have you read the HP series?

Too many to count.

[*]Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying?

I wouldn't put myself in that position in the first place, but say I was, then no.

Edited by skinst

Everyone loves the magical Harry Potter. Here discuss it. Rant and Rave about it!

Questions:

• Who is your favorite Weasley twin?
  • Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?
  • What house would you be in?
  • Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY?
  • What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle?
  • Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope?
  • Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with?
  • Who was your least like teacher?
  • When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him?
  • When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry?
  • Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie?
  • If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?
  • RonxLavender,,, Good or bad
  • RonxFleur...Good or Bad
  • What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse?
  • What is your favorite magical subject?
  • How many times have you read the HP series?
  • Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying?
  • If so what would you make it out of?

1. Fred.

2. OMG Tonks dies!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Hufflepuff.

4. Nah.

5. HORRIBLE!

6. YEAH, BABY!!

7. Duh! Assisted with! :3

8. Herm... probly Quirrel. tongue.gif

9. I HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD ABOUT IT YET!!!!!! D:

10. Both made me flood with tears.... -sniff sniff-

11. YES!!! FAVE HP MOVIE!!!

12. Sort of...

13. SO BAD ITS GOOD! poor Hermione... I always feel bad for her at that part...

14. Hmm... Ok

15. SECTUMSEMPRA!! -Blood starts squirting violently out of your chest-

16. DAD!!!

17. YESH!

18. Hmm... DRAWER!!! tongue.gif

Sorry, I haven't finished the seventh book yet... spoilers spoilers spoilers.... tongue.gif

Who is your favorite Weasley twin?

Both.

Did you want Fred, Tonks, Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?

No! D: Especially Lupin and Tonks ... Poor Teddy ... T_T

What house would you be in?

I'd probably end up in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, though I'd want to be in Gryffindor or Slytherin.

What did you think of the Potter, Diggory, and Chang love triangle?

Not a fan. I didn't like Cho much.

Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope?

Yush!

Who was your least like teacher?

Umbridge and Lockheart.

When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him?

Yes. I liked him more after that.

When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry?

Almost, but not quite.

Did you like how they portrayed  the fifth movie?

Not at all. It was bad enough that they didn't make all the movies long enough, but what I remember of the fifth one was nothing like the book.

If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?

Yes.

Ron x Lavender,,, Good or bad

Horrible.

Ron x Fleur...Good or Bad

Bad.

What is your favorite spell, charm, jinx, or curse?

Expecto Patronum

What is your favorite magical subject?

Care of Magical Creatures

How many times have you read the HP series?

Lots and lots ... and lots.

Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying?

No.

Edited by Raikielia

(I know it's a double post, but this gets us back to an earlier conversation.) The sorting hat creates stereotypes by definition. My issue is how Rowling did the sorting.

Rowling just made it:

Gryffindors = Good

Ravenclaws = Smart

Slytherins = Evil

Hufflepuffs = Wimps, Useless, "why do they even exist again?"

Most people fall into multiple houses, if you go by the strictly canon version of the sorting. And quite a few characters are in the wrong house. Or can someone tell me how Crabbe and Goyle are cunning and ambitious?

HEY!!

I am Hufflepuff.... D:

HEY!!

I am Hufflepuff.... D:

The point of the posts is that, in the book, the houses are really just stereotypes. They weren't trying to insult people. o.o

~

The stereotyping of people into houses has always bothered me. I enjoy a lot of fanfics where people push the boundaries of this and explore it. o3o

Tumblr's already exploding over it, but apparently JK "regrets" pairing Ron and Hermione.

Personally, I don't really care if she regrets it or not or if she'd have paired them different ways in retrospect... the books are published and done, no takesie-backsies at this point.

I'm hardcore seriously rolling my eyes. Harry/Hermione are a terrible pairing. It's always been Hermione/Ron to and Ginny/Harry (although I did quite like Dean/Ginny) for me (although I wouldn't mind it if pairings had been less... heteronormative).

But! I definitely agree. No tackesie-backsies - what does it even matter at this point, really? And if she's going to regret something, why not regret that horrid epilogue given to us? rolleyes.gif

=P

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

*makes weird squeaky sounds* I like the way they paired off! I liked Ginny, and by marrying her Harry became part of the Weasleys which was a heartwarming touch. And I'm glad Hermione was with Ron because it's nice when the leading man doesn't get together with the leading woman. Plus they just seemed to fit better.

Oh well, I'm not going to get too worked up. It's already been published, lol.

(although I wouldn't mind it if pairings had been less... heteronormative).

I wouldn't mind that either, really. Though like I said, I do like who they ended up with.

Edit because autocorrect.

Edited by Dimar

Everyone loves the magical Harry Potter. Here discuss it. Rant and Rave about it!

Questions:

Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?

Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY?

What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle?

Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with?

Did you like how they portrayed  the fifth movie?

If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?

RonxLavender,,, Good or bad

RonxFleur...Good or Bad

What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse?

Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying?

If so what would you make it out of?

• 1. Fred
  • 2. NO! At least let Tonks and/or Lupin live so that their son would have a parent.
  • 3. Gryffindor
  • 4. Nah, got to have a change of pace sometimes.
  • 5. Horrid.
  • 6. Definitely!
  • 7. They weren't bogus. Like any true hero, he didn't do everything on his own. He had friends for support.
  • 8. Umbridge. Or does she not count? lol
  • 9. Very much so.
  • 10. I balled like a little baby!
  • 11. They did a decent job.
  • 12. Metaphorically speaking, yes.
  • 13. EVIL!
  • 14. Bad.
  • 15. Accio.
  • 16. Transfiguration.
  • 17. Once so far.
  • 18. Probably not. It would depend on the person.
  • 19. Either a wolf or a wristband.

Tumblr's already exploding over it, but apparently JK "regrets" pairing Ron and Hermione.

Personally, I don't really care if she regrets it or not or if she'd have paired them different ways in retrospect... the books are published and done, no takesie-backsies at this point.

As much as I don't like Hermione/Ron or Harry/Ginny, Hermione/Harry wouldn't really be any better. IMO, Hermione needs to be paired with someone smarter and more sophisticated.

Questions:

Who is your favorite Weasley twin? Fred

Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die? Killing Fred was pointless, so no it shouldn't have happened. As much as I dislike Lupin/Tonks, killing them wasn't really the answer. And the whole thing of 'they had to die so Teddy would be an orphan like Harry' was ridiculous! Mad-Eye had to go though.

What house would you be in? Slythern ... or possibly Ravenclaw

Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY? No

What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle? Boring

Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope? Yes

Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with? None of his 'triumphs' were bogus, but well this question hits on issues I have with Dumbledore and that's a whole other discussion

Who was your least like teacher? Umbridge & Lockhart

When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him? Yes

When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry? Dumbledor, no. Sirius, yes

Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie? There was too much missing

If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?Kill him, no. Put him in his place, definitely!

RonxLavender,,, Good or bad Ugh!

RonxFleur...Good or Bad Predictable

What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse? Accio

What is your favorite magical subject? Defense or Potions

How many times have you read the HP series? Once

Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying? No

I frankly believe that pairing would have worked. Like it or not, a writer's characters aquire a certain life when being written, and there was a chemistry between those two from book one that was not there between Hermione and Harry.

Although, to be totally honest, I think they would have been in the eternal dynamic of friendzone, Ron would be after her, but she would be too busy with her work and her studies to even aknowledge his tries, not to mention bearing children.

At this point, however, I have grown so sick of love stories in books and movies I don't really mind. It baffles me that, out of 7 books, all she cares about it that little, pointless detail (for the overall of the story), and not the hopeless drivel that became the last book.

But! I definitely agree. No tackesie-backsies - what does it even matter at this point, really? And if she's going to regret something, why not regret that horrid epilogue given to us? rolleyes.gif

Right?

You'd think, if she had to regret something, that it'd be the name "Albus Severus Potter," at the very least.

Right?

You'd think, if she had to regret something, that it'd be the name "Albus Severus Potter," at the very least.

Or not being brave enough to kill one of the Wonder Trio. I was honestly expecting Harry or Ron (or both), to die a brave death.

Instead we're presented to off-screen deaths and several melodramatic moments.

I was pretty annoyed by the end of the last book, I admit. My fault for expecting something epic, instead of a cliche'd, fanfiction happy ending. I mean, this is the person who killed Sirius Black.

Not sure whether we are supposed to answer all of the questions in one post or not. So, I'll do what I can with the given questions.

Questions:

Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die? Just Mad-Eye

What house would you be in? Hufflepuff

Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY? Immaterial, really.

What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle? Cheesy, but Somewhat realistic for that age group. Cho and Harry both very immature.

Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope? no, don't think they truly love each other.

Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with? They weren't bogus, but he did have help from his friends all along the way.

Who was your least like teacher? Dolores Umbridge - although HoM Ghost and Gilderoy Lockhart both stunk.

When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him? Yes

When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry? Yes

Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie? Mostly

If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match? Maybe for a bit, but wouldn't have done it

RonxLavender,,, Good or bad Bad match up

RonxFleur...Good or Bad Ron and Fleur, ridiculous /bad

What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse? _____________ reparo or Wingardium Leviosa really like them both.

What is your favorite magical subject? Defense against the Dark Arts

How many times have you read the HP series?2 x all the way through 1 thru 5 at least 5 times.

Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying? No, it is just wrong. (It = making a horcrux.)

Questions:

Did you want Fred, Tonks, Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die? Not Fred

What house would you be in? Ravenclaw

Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY? Eh... don't really care.

What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle? Hated Diggory, but otherwise, it was quite realistic.

Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope? No, but they should be friends.

Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with? Absolute bogus.

Who was your least like teacher? Prof. Binns. Lessons there were always too boring.

When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him? Yes. Snape is one of the best HP characters,

When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry? No. Sirius' made me sad though.

Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie? A bit.

If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match? Heck yeah.

RonxLavender,,, Good or bad Bad match up

RonxFleur...Good or Bad Ron and Fleur, Both are dumb

What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse? The stunning one.

What is your favorite magical subject? transfiguration

How many times have you read the HP series? about four all the way through.

Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying? No.

Plus, they're pure-bloods, and Salazar Slytherin specified that all of his students must be pure-blooded wizards.

You are correct in saying Salazaar said pure bloods only, but Riddle wasn't one and Snape had a muggle dad just like Riddle.

Edited by DustyBelle

neither, they were both awesome

Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?

no!!! who would??

IDK. Griffindor because I don't want to be ravenclaw, I'm definately not Slitherin, and nobody knows anything that would put into Hufflepuff.

Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY?

yes! he was waaaay better than everyone else!

What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle?

Potter should've never gone for Chang. all that did was create awkward disappointment. For him when he finds out about Diggory, for Ginny when she knows Harry likes Chang, etc

no!!! they are such a creepy couple, at least in the movie. But also yes, because I want poor, sweet Hagrid to be happy, and it's not like either of them would ever get any one other than eachother in their WHOLE lives...

Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with?

yes. someone else always came in and saved him.

Professor Trelawny. She was cool, I liked when she got all weird and stuff in the third book.

yes. He had no chance. ever

yes! they were the best characters!!!

Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie?

no. they did everything wrong with it that it says in this.

yes.

RonxLavender,,, Good or bad

bad. let me refrase that: very bad. mad.gif

RonxFleur...Good or Bad

good. she was cool, but a bit of an airhead.

What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse?

the puking up slugs one, although that would've been waaaay better if it had actually made it to Mouth-by

Herbology. I wish that, or at least gardening or something for the likes of muggles like me, was a real subject!

once, and that took me like 6 years. I used to be a really slow reader smile.gif

?? what do you mean? how would a Horcrux help them?

A hamburger. definately xd.png

Who is your favorite Weasley twin? George was slightly hotter, but the two were my favourite characters wub.gif

Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die? Fred - absolutely not! Tonks and Lupin - I was fond of the two + they had a baby, so no. Moody - I'm sorry for him, but if someone had to die then I don't mind.

What house would you be in? GRYFFINDOR!!!

Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY? Better him than Fudge anyway xd.png

What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle? Meh. I don't even see it as a triangle at all. Back when Cedric Diggory was alive Cho didn't even look at Harry once, and after his death the two only shared a kiss, nothing else. So, nah. tongue.gif

Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope? Yes, why not? smile.gif

Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with? I like his triumphs smile.gif But yes, he'd never be able to do all that on his own, NO ONE would.

Who was your least like teacher? Umbridge and Lockhart, but ESPECIALLY DOLORES! I hated that woman. dry.gif

When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him? You ask? Of course! That's the truest love I heard of.

When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry?Not so much for Dumbledore, but I was heartbroken for Sirius. sad.gif AND WHY DOES NOBODY MENTION DOBBY? I was devastated when he died!

Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie? Better than movie n0 6 that's for sure.

If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?Haha yes, but figuratively. xd.png

RonxLavender,,, Good or bad The only Lavender that I like is the plant, so absolutely not!

RonxFleur...Good or Bad They're way too different.

What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse? EXPECTO PATRONUM wub.gif

What is your favorite magical subject? Defense against the dark arts or Transfiguration

How many times have you read the HP series? Some books more than the others, but each at least once

Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying? No use

If so what would you make it out of? Something least likely to be one, that's for sure, but meh, no ideas laugh.gif

Edited by *Silver Fox*

Questions:

• Who is your favorite Weasley twin?

Both

• Did you want Fred,Tonks,Lupin, and Mad-Eye to die?

No

• What house would you be in?

Ravenclaw

• Should've Kingsley stayed Minister of Magic PERMANENTLY?

Possibly

• What did you think of the Potter,Diggory,and Chang love triangle?

Not a fan of Cho Chang, so I thought it was lame

• Should Hagrid and Madame Maxime elope?

Why not

• Do you believe all of Harry's triumphs were bogus or assisted with?

I think some of them were assisted with....

• Who was your least like teacher?

Binns

• When you heard about Snape's *love* did you feel sorry for him?

Yes

• When Dumbledore and Sirius died did you cry?

A little bit

• Did you like how they portrayed the fifth movie?

It was okay...

• If you were Harry would you want to kill Cormac McLaggen after that horrific Quidditch match?

Yes.

• RonxLavender,,, Good or bad

Bad...Lavender is annoying

• RonxFleur...Good or Bad

Funny

• What is your favorite spell,charm,jinx,or curse?

Fiendfyre

• What is your favorite magical subject?

Charms

• How many times have you read the HP series?

Way too many

• Would you make a Horcrux if a person asked you to kill them because they were dying?

no.

• If so what would you make it out of?

Nothing

As far as pairings go, I think Ron and Hermione are better than Harry and Hermione...there is more balance there; and I saw a bit of the Han Solo/Princess Leia dynamic going on.

I like Harry/Ginny, but think Ginny/Dean worked pretty well.

I think Ginny was underutilized as a character. There was so much potential there... (Then again, I'm not a big Hermione fan).

Neville was the character that I think had the greatest development.