Skypool

Harry Potter Book Discussion

Severus is a classical latin name (yesh, I am a latin geek and yesh, Rowling gets a lot of inspiration for names/spells from latin) so it will probably not be recognized...

Anyways, I agree, Albus Severus was a terrible name. Hugo isn't a very good name either though...and Scorpius? really? Isn't that, like, a constellation?

Isn't severus lating for snake or something? Or to sever.../is too lazy to look it up

Albus Severus is an AWFUL name. neither of those names fit together and saying the name, even in my, doesn't sound right. T_T

@SockPuppet: I didn't know all of those were constellations. xd.png

I suppose that Rowling wanted to tie the names with things in Harry's history, but honestly, that's a bad name.

I didn't realize that Narcissa was a constellation either xd.png

I see where you are going with this.

I thought it was a sweet pairing based on the emotion they show for each other while they are actually together, but I DO understand why you say that you have a problem with the Harry side of this.

I still like the pairing, I just have to agree with you on the fact that Harry's romantic interests towards Ginny seemed slightly sudden.

Exactly. The feelings they shared while together were sweet and I do think that they did do a brilliant job showing the emotion between the two of them in the movie version (despite the fact that things went down a little differently book wise). However, for Harry's side of it, it just felt very abrupt in both verses and one-sided to me. Thus, I have problems really feeling anything strongly for the pair.

At least with Cho/Harry there was build up.

Ron/Hermione... uber build up.

Heck Harry/Hermione had more build up than Harry/Ginny and they've always been just friends.

It seems sad to me that a pairing that like, given who they were... they would have at least gotten their real time together instead of just springing it and saying, "oh here they are btw".

Honestly I thought the movie version was overdone and just awkward. Yes, that's realistic, but the way it was presented came across as pathetic. For what it's worth I would have rather had the fairy tale fill-in with the Harry/Ginny romance over the movie. :\

Also you know how the movies skirted over mentioning Phineas N.

well,

how are they going to introduce him in the seventh movie?

But I still liek Ron and Hermione more than Harry and hermione, for reasons I explained before

Harry and Hermione almost never had a falling out-- this is a good sign for those who just wnated them to be simply platonic friends.T hat's all they were. Friends.

Hermione and Ron, however, had arguments every couple of weeks and light bickering whenever they had the chance. This means that they care about one another's feelings towards each other-- they get upset when the other doesn't do what they want, thus creating the arguing.

In some cases that's not the case, but for then, seeing as they weren't sworn enemies, it was probable.

So yeah, that's why I think that I liked it better tongue.gif

The movie version of it was just...no. I mean, I enjoyed the movies because, well, they wer emovies of HARRY POTTER and I'm such a fanatic like that, but I was more than irritated when they had that whole uneccessary scene in the room of requirement.

Whats wrong with when they kissed after the quidditch game? dry.gif

There was too much Won Won and Lav Lav (lol) in the movie. Not enough Harry/ginny for it to be realistic.

But Rowling does a good job of conveying the emotion DURING the relationship, and she's still an epic writer beyond the epic proportions of epicness.

If you follow what I mean tongue.gif

EDIT:

Also you know how the movies skirted over mentioning Phineas N.

well,

how are they going to introduce him in the seventh movie?

This annoyed me as well... ugh. I hate how the movies think they're so great in skipping over the stuff until they realize that the little things that were in the otehr books really matter later in the movie series.

Maybe they'll use another portrait, I don't know. Either that or they'll skip over it entirely and have another way of finding out the punishment of Ginny when she tried to steal the sword, and also find out what Gryffindor's sword does.

Edited by darkangel787

Tis true that they left out Phineas, which sucks. They also left out the locket while cleaning Grimmauld Place and the mirror that Sirius gave Harry in the fifth book which is going to play a pretty big part come Deathly Hallows. They left out Bill sad.gifsad.gif I luffs Bill. Charlie was barely mentioned in the fourth movie. Shall we continue on?

They've left so many things out of the book and granted, you can't always fit everything... but hitting on major things that will play into the final book, kinda important.

Oh, and Peeves sad.gif Can we just say that leaving him out was no.

Edited by cariad_winter

Okay... So some of you know Cariad and I are partners and here is where we disagree. The Ginny/Harry thing... I think it was well done. Yes it was very sudden on Harry's part but that (IMHO) was the way it should have been. Ginny was pining for Harry since she first met him. Harry ; just saw her as Ron's little sister for a long time. And yes suddenly... she's maturing... she's seeing other people... she's really the type of young lady he is attracted to. It was one of those things that suddenly his eyes were opened. And when you do that there is no build up, it's just there. Now granted... I prefer Harry/Draco and I love the Ginny/Blaise ship, but as far as the books go I liked the way it played out with Ginny and Harry.

But that is pretty much our only disagreement in the HP-verse.

I totally agree with everything that she mentioned about what was left out of the movies and things that were very very important. I want to know how the mirror is going to be introduced or what they are going to do to replace it.

Bill and Charlie... Dude they were so not mentioned near enough. Peeves... blink.gif Where was he? He was brilliant.

Also... what the heck happened to the DA/Deatheater fight in the tower? Does that mean that Bill wasn't attacked? How do we explain Fleur and Bill's marriage? There has been absolutely no lead up to that! I think they will have to do some serious manipulating of the sequence of events in the 7th book for this script.

I have a bunch of favorite charaters.

If i listed my cast of favorite minor characters it wolud go as follows (like, not Dumbledore, Snape, Harry, Hermione, Ron, et cetera. Members of the Order are not included in this except for fred and george)

Fred and George and Lee Jordan xd.png

PEEVES <3

Dobby

I'm kind of apprehensive now about watching HP7 on movie. They've taken out so much! Peeves! where is he! Where is the fight at the tower! Where is the wedding going to be now that the burrow's burned down? Maybe they'll skip that ENTIRELY! O.O What will we DO! *is completelybreaking down xd.png*

EDIT: Yeah, I said I liked Harry/Ginny during the tiem theyw ere together, btu before I just thoguht that Harry could have some buildup. tongue.gif

Edited by darkangel787

Agreed that I'll be very interested to see how they play the movie out.

But honestly? I can't blame them. There is just so much stuff packed into the books that putting it all into the movie would be insanity. As it is, they already split up the 7th movie into two parts. |D

They did? Man, I'm so behind on HP stuff. After I finished the last book I think I just kinda burnt out... haven't seen any of the recent movies (well, "recent")...

Agreed that I'll be very interested to see how they play the movie out.

But honestly? I can't blame them. There is just so much stuff packed into the books that putting it all into the movie would be insanity. As it is, they already split up the 7th movie into two parts. |D

I think they should have split the 6th, as well.

Most of the stuff that needs explaining for the 7th movies will either get handwaved and assume the fans know everything or give it 5 seconds for someone to say "Oh, X happened off screen!"

The sixth movie just disappointed me.

Between the addition of the never happened in the book burning down of the Burrow, the annoying focus on comedy, and the lack of the 30 PAGED battle scene at the end of the book, I wanted to just leave the movie theater, but after waiting in the theater for 5 hours to see it (Midnight premiere), I figured I should stay.

That is all.

Edit: As I read some earlier posts, this is a review of the movie screening in Chicago that happened about a month ago. Be careful, 'tis has spoilers, if you have not read the seventh book.

LOOKIE AT ME! I IZ A REVIEWW

Edited by eggy

The sixth movie just disappointed me.

Between the addition of the never happened in the book burning down of the Burrow, the annoying focus on comedy, and the lack of the 30 PAGED battle scene at the end of the book, I wanted to just leave the movie theater, but after waiting in the theater for 5 hours to see it (Midnight premiere), I figured I should stay.

That is all.

Edit: As I read some earlier posts, this is a review of the movie screening in Chicago that happened about a month ago. Be careful, 'tis has spoilers, if you have not read the seventh book.

LOOKIE AT ME! I IZ A REVIEWW

I haven't seen the sixth movie yet but I heard it was bad. o_e

I can't wait to see the 7th one...the 7th book was one of the best ones (except for horrible epilogue...).

This eases my worry a good bit. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Exactly. I was so scared for what was going to come until I read that.

biggrin.gif

And Hermione's torture scene is going to be amazing.

I can just feel it.

For once, I actually think the character of Bellatrix Lestrange was played better in the movie than the book :/ Idk, that's jsut my take on things.

For once, I actually think the character of Bellatrix Lestrange was played better in the movie than the book :/ Idk, that's jsut my take on things.

I have to agree on that point. The descriptions in the book just weren't as effective as seeing it too I suppose.

I'm not going to see the seventh movie. I hated the book so much, and I'm not paying twice to see the same movie, because it has to be split in two. Gone with the Wind is a 4 hour movie. There is no reason other than draining your hard earned money, to split a movie that could nicely fit in 4 hours, in 2 parts.

Not to mention, I hated that book for so many reasons. Only thing I'd save would be Snape's chapter. As for the rest, I'd rip if off and rewrite it from scratch.

D: but HP was so flippin' awesome...

You mean in the seventh book? Or along the series? I think I started disliking him by book 4, and hating him directly around book 5. I didn't read the series because of Harry. I read it because the story was good, and the secondaries were awesome.

Harry should have died in book 7.

Harry had his odd moments, especially in the later books, and you're right the secondaries are total win, but the series overall is my favorite set of books.

I may not like the couples JKR came up with but this is still one of my favorite series. I loved the story line (I just didn't like Ginny or Ron). smile.gif

There was something I didn't get in Book 7.

"Charlie Weasley was overtaking Horace Slughorn"

Did that mean Slughorn chickened and joined forces with Voldemort