Skypool

Harry Potter Book Discussion

The Goblet of Fire and the Half Blood Prince are a tie for me.

wait wait wait...like...harry and ginny? What's unexpected for you?

Lavender and Ron was kind of sudden for me, but I could see it build up just starting IN the sixth book...

There was plenty of buildup for each pairing IN the sixth book itself, just not much before.

I always knew that Hermione would find feelings for was Ron but was Lavender's love just built off of what happened in the Ministry? It's not like he saved Harry from dying!

Well, who knows what goes on the mad brain of Lavender Brown? laugh.gif

Hey, did she die in Deathly Hallows? Or was she just bitten by Greyback?

I can't remember...

Well, who knows what goes on the mad brain of Lavender Brown? laugh.gif

Hey, did she die in Deathly Hallows? Or was she just bitten by Greyback?

I can't remember...

From the Harry Potter wiki. "Lavender joined the reconstituted D.A. to oppose Death Eater control of Hogwarts, and fought in the Battle of Hogwarts, during which she was attacked by Fenrir Greyback, but saved by Hermione Granger and Sybill Trelawney. It is possible that she survived the Second Wizarding War, although her later life is unknown."

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Lavender_Brown

From the Harry Potter wiki. "Lavender joined the reconstituted D.A. to oppose Death Eater control of Hogwarts, and fought in the Battle of Hogwarts, during which she was attacked by Fenrir Greyback, but saved by Hermione Granger and Sybill Trelawney. It is possible that she survived the Second Wizarding War, although her later life is unknown."

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Lavender_Brown

I know it would be infeasible and kind of silly for an author to do this, but I secretly hope JK Rowling would release somethign letting us know a bit about what happened to all the fun non-main characters. Although, this might kill some good fanfiction. tongue.gif

I kind of have to disagree with this.

The Gryffindor's were the cool, popular students.

I have to disagree with this too. Harry Potter and his friends were not meant to seem popular or cool.

Harry has unruly hair, glasses, and is constantly berated and made fun of.

Hermoine is a nerdy know it all with frizzy hair.

Ron is a lanky clumsy red head.

When you think of who these kids are in school they are not the cool popular people.

I would agree with the fact that the sorting hat creates stereotypes. The whole purpose of the hat is to fit people into the house that best matches their personality. So of course the Ravenclaws are smart and the Gryffindors are war heros. But Narcissa's act was most certainly heroic and brave. Do you think that lying to Voldemort doesn't require an immense amount of courage? If things had turned out differently there is no way that her or her family would have survived.

Ah, I didn't say Harry, Hermoine, and Harry. I said Gryffindor's.

Slytherin's got very little to no applause from other houses when they won stuff, whether it be quidditch or the house cup or whatnot. Gryffindor's got huge amounts of applause, even after the first time they beat Slytherin.

Of course, there are exceptions to some students, but for the most part they all fit into that.

Harry wasn't constantly berated and made fun of, especially not once he got to Hogwarts. Yes, he and Draco were always at each other's throats and there were times when it was especially bad, but he was the quidditch seeker hero and the one who got into the Triwizard Tournament young, which did make him popular with others of his house, at least, at times.

While Narcissa's act was heroic and brave, it wasn't really written as such. It was more that of a defeated woman just wanting her son back.

* Neither

* I love all of them D:

* uhh.. Idk, Ravenclaw?

* Lol no

* Harry + Chang = Fail

* No

* Both

* Trelawny

* No

* Sad deaths, but no

* SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE OMG

* I would make him suffer, not kill.

* Epic fail

* tremendous fail

* AVRA CABRADA

* Defense against the dark arts

* a few times

* no

* kill yourself, I'm not going to be in jail for murder.

Narcissa's act wasn't at all heroic. I'm pretty sure that Rowling neither meant it that way or wanted it taken that way. it was just, as Socky said, a defeated woman wanting her son back.

Though with Draco's whininess, it's hard to imagine WHY she would want him back xd.png

Well, my mother loves me and I'm a whiney little b*tch... laugh.gif

Narcissa's act wasn't at all heroic.

Standing up to the greatest dark wizard in over a century, I believe, as he's bat censorkip.gif insane and at practically the height of his power, who has already forsaken your husband and son, proven himself capable of murder at the slightest provocation, and lying to his face about someone who is most certainly not dead that's really lying just feet from him when it's very possible he's obsessed enough to parade the corpse around and possibly check for himself.

Sure, not heroic/brave in any way, shape, or form.

I'm not saying she's great like Harry, I'm not saying she did it for non-selfish reasons, but I am saying it took some guts (maybe even of the stupid-brave kind) to pull that on him. Yes, she wanted her son, but what does that matter.

What difference would her answer have made? If he's not dead, she could easily have outed him to Voldy, Voldy would have killed him again, and they still would have gone to the castle in victory. She could have done everything just the same.

But she didn't. She lied to Voldemort and got away with it. I see it as spiting him and a big Mama Bear moment.

Well....I guess. I see what you're saying.

But she could have known he wouldn't have checked.

How would she have known that?

Voldemort didn't seem very trusting in the Malfoy family to me. The way he treated them in showed absolute disrespect and no regard for the family so I don't see why he would automatically trust them. More like, Voldemort wouldn't think that they would disobey him in any way or he would make them suffer. I don't see anyway that Narcissa could "know" he wouldn't check. I can see her hoping he wouldn't but not knowing.

Edited by rubyshoes

He's also completely obsessed with killing Harry, I'm surprised he didn't check for himself. He made one wrong move, trusting Narcissa to be completely cowed and tell the truth, and that pretty much sealed his fate.

Maybe two, actually. Making Hagrid carry Harry. Rubbing salt in the wound, "hey ur hero be dead hahaha" instead of being much more dramatic and Voldy presenting the body himself. But then, he never did like doing the dirty work.

What do you expect? He has whimpy little arms- he would probably drop him... wink.gif

Voldy shouldn't have been so caught up in his moment of euphoria and started thinking about possibilities. He was so incredibly dumb to overlook alot.png of things.

So, Deathly Hallows movie one. Any impressions, guys?

/probably won't see it for a while, still

I'm going to see it tomorrow, actually smile.gif I hope it's better than what the little clips I've seen suggests

As this is book discussion and there's a thread in Visual media for just the movies, go there for the rest of this convo. xd.png