Completely Different

Doctor Who

Ah, Sarah Jane. I enjoyed all the old!who companions, but I remember that they all seemed to scream too much, [especially] when it didn't fit their characters. Long story short, I rolled my eyes a lot when some alien would pop up and the companions started screaming.

Ugh yeah, too much screaming. >_<

That's why I hated Susan. Wasn't she supposed to be the Doctor's GRANDDAUGHTER? What kind of Time Lady screams at every little thing and is pretty much completely useless for anything? I mean Romana at least proved useful and didn't scream at everything. A few things, yes, but not everything.

Sarah Jane was the most badass of the old series companions and I also thought it was very out of character for her to scream at things. At least, past the first couple seasons. You tend to get used to things after a while, yes?

I'm an old Tom Baker fan, can't watch them on TV at this point but I do have a few DVDs, even some VHS and machines to play them. I did love Sarah Jane, and Romana, especially Lalla Ward's Romana, also the courageous and savage Leela. Dr. Liz Shaw, Pertwee's first companion was pretty level-headed and very sharp. I liked her, too. Jo Grant really was a "poor girl" screamer, though.

After Tom Baker's period, and before Eccleston and the mighty Rose, I really loved Ace best, and her Nitro 9, and I don't know that she ever screamed without a pretty good reason. I think Ace comes closest to Rose's grit, out of all the old companions. Good hunting, sister!

(And one of these years, I will finally catch up with all the newer, post Rose and Tennant Who.)

I'm an old Tom Baker fan, can't watch them on TV at this point but I do have a few DVDs, even some VHS and machines to play them. I did love Sarah Jane, and Romana, especially Lalla Ward's Romana, also the courageous and savage Leela. Dr. Liz Shaw, Pertwee's first companion was pretty level-headed and very sharp. I liked her, too. Jo Grant really was a "poor girl" screamer, though.

After Tom Baker's period, and before Eccleston and the mighty Rose, I really loved Ace best, and her Nitro 9, and I don't know that she ever screamed without a pretty good reason. I think Ace comes closest to Rose's grit, out of all the old companions. Good hunting, sister!

(And one of these years, I will finally catch up with all the newer, post Rose and Tennant Who.)

Eh. I'm one of the few people that didn't really like Rose much at all. Most of her character was to be the Doctor's love interest, although she didn't suffer for it NEARLY as much as Martha, whose entire character was to be the UNREQUITED love that the Doctor didn't even notice because he was still pining after Rose. I hated Martha, just for the record. Too much drama.

Now DONNA, on the other hand, she was absolutely fantastic. Donna was best Companion, hands down. She wasn't romantically involved, they even outright stated that they didn't want to be romantic, they were best friends, got into all sorts of stuff, fussed at each other, and while they did kiss it was for the most amusing reason ever and shocked the Doctor right out of a pretty dangerous situation. xd.png

And then the blasted writers had to go and ruin it by getting rid of her in one of the worst ways possible. BAH.

Watched The Magician's Apprentice last night. Did you guys know that BBC America released it (full episode!) on YouTube? I can't find it now for some reason, which could have something to do with what Roku gets vs. what browsers are allowed to access. But it was great! Don't wanna spoil anything, but I absolutely loved it.

I sincerely hope that the doctor hasn't traded his sonic screwdriver for a pair of sunglasses!

And I was kinda hoping that Clara would be stuck in the dalek for a couple of episodes...!

Having said that, I don't think I can stand Missy's character much longer.

Whew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers a screwdriver to sunglasses. xd.png

I kept waiting for Clara to say something about souffles.

I told my aunt I'd be late to breakfast this morning - I didn't explain it was because I was watching City of Death! wink.gif

I prefer the screwdriver to sunglasses as well (evn though he does look good in shades).

I'm pretty tired of the Missy character as well but then I was tired of her last season.

I'm pretty tired of the Missy character as well but then I was tired of her last season.

So was I - and why the doctor told her to run when the place came crashing down after proof that she'd tried to get him to kill Clara, I don't know.

Compassionate as he is, he knows he can't trust her.

So was I - and why the doctor told her to run when the place came crashing down after proof that she'd tried to get him to kill Clara, I don't know.

Compassionate as he is, he knows he can't trust her.

I don't think he was protecting her from the place, but from himself, trying to avoid a situation where he might do something that he would regret later.

I liked Missy much more in these two episodes than last season, but I hope that she doesn't appear again until the last few episodes. I would get very tired of her if they made her a big recurring character for the whole season.

I don't think he was protecting her from the place, but from himself, trying to avoid a situation where he might do something that he would regret later.

Good point.

He should have killed her. She was in the right placec and she's as scheming as Davros!

(This is where hubs says "yes, but then there'd be no future stories"...) wink.gif

Whew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers a screwdriver to sunglasses. xd.png

I kept waiting for Clara to say something about souffles.

It was my only quibble about the episode as well; I much, much prefer the screwdriver. But I suppose we can allow the Doctor to have his mid-lives crisis! If it turns out to be unpopular, the worst case is we have it taken away by the end of the series and we have our favourite implement back after Xmas smile.gif

And I am slightly surprised Clara didn't use "impossible girl" or "souffle."

Why is everybody so surprised that Clara hasn't used those words? She doesn't normally use them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember hearing her say either of those things at all through the entire 8th season, at least. Maybe not the 7th either. So why were you all expecting her to say them?

Why is everybody so surprised that Clara hasn't used those words? She doesn't normally use them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember hearing her say either of those things at all through the entire 8th season, at least. Maybe not the 7th either. So why were you all expecting her to say them?

Because that was her whole thing in her introduction before she became a companion. How she was actually a Dalek obsessed with making souffles, and also there were quite a few references to her being the Impossible Girl. The opener of the 8th season had that and it was mentioned quite a few more times. She didn't say anything about souffles though, but it was still the Clara/Dalek link.

Eleven constantly referred to Clara directly as "my impossible girl" or variations of the theme, and she herself made a few references to souffles in her various iterations.

Eleven constantly referred to Clara directly as "my impossible girl" or variations of the theme, and she herself made a few references to souffles in her various iterations.

*nods* She made a soufflé, or tried to, in the Christmas special.

And the ad in Deep Breath was addressed to the Impossible Girl and she told Vastra that's what the Doctor called her.

Hmmm. I guess I never considered the whole Impossible Girl/souffle thing as anything more than some cutesy character 'quirk'. You guys are right, it does have more meaning and significance than that.

I loved the first two episodes of this season, but I realy need to re-watch them a time or two, there was sooo much going on I feel like I missed a lot of the little things. The line that really, really sticks in my head though, is Davros saying "Are you ready to become a god?" Chilling and deep and speaks so much to Davros's viewpoint on the world.

It was my only quibble about the episode as well; I much, much prefer the screwdriver. But I suppose we can allow the Doctor to have his mid-lives crisis! If it turns out to be unpopular, the worst case is we have it taken away by the end of the series and we have our favourite implement back after Xmas smile.gif

I heard somewhere on the 'net that Peter Capaldi wanted his own sonic design as he felt the current one basically 'belongs' to Matt Smith. Maybe a new one's in the works?

I heard somewhere on the 'net that Peter Capaldi wanted his own sonic design as he felt the current one basically 'belongs' to Matt Smith. Maybe a new one's in the works?

That would be cool. And yes, a little part of me was disappointed at the start of the last series when they kept Eleven's screwdriver design for Twelve, but then again they did keep Nine's design for Ten.

And Lagie, I love the souffle set!

Update 04/10: Just saw the third episode, and I love it smile.gif Listen out for a nice little Peter Andre joke, and as for the cliffhanger...ARGH! I think this is shaping up to be a strong season.

In other news: Have you seen that apparently the only actor in the penultimate episode is going to be the Doctor?! I've never looked forward to an episode so much in a long time.

Edited by Kestra15

Oh, interesting. I wonder how well Peter'll carry a one-man episode. He's a great actor, so it should at least be fun to watch. Maybe it'll be somewhat like Listen in s8...but without Clara?

I liked Clara's notecards. D'aaawww.

In other news: Have you seen that apparently the only actor in the penultimate episode is going to be the Doctor?! I've never looked forward to an episode so much in a long time.

Ooohhh... Interesting if that turns out to be true. I really want to see how they'd make that work plot-wise.

Speaking of unique plots, has anyone read the Titan comics doctor who series'? They used the comic-panel medium in some really inventive ways to do reversed plotlines and such. Really fun series, I'd say the writing was nearly on-par with the show itself (though in smaller doses)

Doctor Who has always had a screwdriver!

Crikey, it's being dragged into the 21st century at an alarming rate as it is, can't we keep some sacred thing?

Peter Capaldi could quite easily manage an episode alone, he goes his own way, even with Clara.

I'm grumpy, I don't like all the changes.

On a lighter note, the giggling line for me:

"Who's in charge? I need to know who to ignore."

There is kind of a precedent for the Doctor giving up using a sonic (read: it was taken away because the writers got lazy and were using it to solve everything) IIRC the 5th Doctor never had one because of this.* The 1st Doctor never had one, and the 2nd had a sonic but only ever used it for unscrewing screws I think.

Not super fond of the sonic shades concept, but it's not a bad look. cool.gif

*Which led to Tennant's hilarious line from Timecrash "Oh, look at me, I'm the Doctor! I can save the universe with a kettle and some string!"

Easier to cosplay, at least. cool.gif

And hey, why not let him go hands-free?

But yes I did love the cards, and the various lines, and his insistence that he knew sign language when he actually didn't have a clue.

Dat cliffhanger though hnnnnnngh

I bet It's not actually his ghost but another hologram designed to do... something.

Alright so I just saw the first three episodes of the new season (Am I caught up or is there more?)

All I have to say is that if it wasn't settled before it's definite now: Missy is my favorite character. Ever. In anything. Even beating her previous form.