Completely Different

Doctor Who

I have to confess, the wobbly camera and dark lighting detracted so much I ended up not really paying any attention so I have no clue what happened or why or even how it all ended.

There's a good review here (spoiler alert!).

I didn't like the wobbly camera either. I find it very distracting, especially when I'm watching the show on a small screen. Also, I didn't like the complete lack of ending. I don't mind open endings or intentionally unexplained situations, but I don't think it worked that well this time. I suppose that the idea might have been that the monsters won. However, the Doctor says that they're going to Triton to fix the problem, so the creepiness of the last video is lost.

I've loved the rest of this series so far though.

Edited by Raistlin24

I haven't watched it yet but I might just give this episode a miss - I hate "found footage/wobbly cam" shows (they tend to make me ill if I try to watch them).

I didn't like the complete lack of ending. I don't mind open endings or intentionally unexplained situations, but I don't think it worked that well this time. I suppose that the idea might have been that the monsters won. However, the Doctor says that they're going to Triton to fix the problem, so the creepiness of the last video is lost.

This. I really, really did get pre-episode scares from this one. I have sleeping problems, night terrors and an over-active imagination, so an episode about how a lack of sleep can raise monsters at night? This had all the elements of an episode that would scare on a par with 'Blink.'

Eh. Every season has a weak episode. This reminded me of 'Kill the Moon' from last season.

I say it was a good idea, but since the introduction of the Weeping Angels, the terror factor has gone down a bit. I think they could have achieved more by going further with it.

I also didn't like the changing perspective so much, gave me a headache dry.gif

Overall I don't like how this season is turning out, and I'm not too fond of the new doctor in the first place, or maybe I'm not too fond of how Clara's character has developed. (Although the Zygon episodes were great!!!)

Edited by Clya

Now that's a cliffhanger!

I'm really intrigued about where the alien hybrid concept is leading to as well. But I'm liking that this season's long arc isn't nearly as overt or obvious as the last few.

Also, I'm enjoying the heck out of the Doctor's guitar solos. Crazy awesome how good of a player Capaldi is! cool.gif

Ah, good times. wink.gif

You know Capaldi was in a band right? Dream Boys, I believe is the name.

Edited, I need to watch this weeks, but so far its been interesting

Edited by KuroYukia

I did finally watch this week's episode. The wobbly cam wasn't as bad as I feared (but I still didn't care much for the episode).

You know Capaldi was in a band right? Dream Boys,  I believe is the name.

Yah, I found one of thier albums on youtube. wink.gif Pretty dang good. cool.gif

I say it was a good idea, but since the introduction of the Overall I don't like how this season is turning out, and I'm not too fond of the new doctor in the first place, or maybe I'm not too fond of how Clara's character has developed.  (Although the Zygon episodes were great!!!)

I kind of agree, this season has been a bit too subtle and laid back, not enough funny moments. BUT I've realized I much prefer this over last season. (Deep Breath excluded, 'cause that was just a masterpiece) Season 8 was full of great moments and scenes, but there was nearly an equal amount of stuff they messed up in major ways. I think the showrunners are in uncharted territory style-wise, trying a new direction for the show. It has at least been steadily improving, IMHO.

I'm really ready for a new companion as well. Clara has actually grown on me quite a bit (I think she has a way better dynamic with 12 than 11) but still, not a huge fan. (although... they've been foreshadowing the heck out of the fact that the Doctor's going to be nothing short of devastated when she leaves. sad.gif )

Edited by AlexisV

I'm not too fond of Clara, myself, although there have been worse companions, for sure. I think the Doctor needs someone new. I'm still holding out on the fact that it'll eventually be Jenny, it wouldn't be the first time he's traveled with another Timelord/lady, after all. Jenny IS still out there, and even if the actress that played her first isn't available anymore, well, Timelords regenerate. ;p

Perhaps as a story plot they could have that actress show up in a brief cameo where Jenny is dying, and the Doctor has to help her regenerate for the first time kinda like how 3rd Doctor needed a little push by another Timelord to regenerate into the 4th. Boom, new actress playing Jenny 2.0! The Doctor seems to have plenty of spare regeneration energy to use as proven by the first two episodes of this season. Regeneration energy for the Daleks, why not for Jenny?

It would be beyond awesome to have Jenny back. cool.gif

I do wonder what the long-term consequences of the Daleks using the Doctor's regeneration energy will be, though, esp given what happened to River when she used up all her regenerations at once. The Doctor said in kill the moon that he might just keep regenerating forever, so I think he suspects the Timelords gave him Rassilon's infinite regeneration cycle.

It would be beyond awesome to have Jenny back. cool.gif

I do wonder what the long-term consequences of the Daleks using the Doctor's regeneration energy will be, though, esp given what happened to River when she used up all her regenerations at once. The Doctor said in kill the moon that he might just keep regenerating forever, so I think he suspects the Timelords gave him Rassilon's infinite regeneration cycle.

Of course he'll keep regenerating forever, Doctor Who is too much of a cash cow for BBC otherwise. wink.gif

In one of the ads I saw it showed a clip of Clara on a table. She's also both pretended to be/been a Dalek before so I wonder if she might wind up being converted at some point. On another note, am I the only one that would like to see Strax, Madame Vastra, and Jenny as companions?

I'm not too fond of Clara, myself, although there have been worse companions, for sure. I think the Doctor needs someone new. I'm still holding out on the fact that it'll eventually be Jenny, it wouldn't be the first time he's traveled with another Timelord/lady, after all. Jenny IS still out there, and even if the actress that played her first isn't available anymore, well, Timelords regenerate. ;p

Or is she...?

WELP.

Goodbye Clara! The first new series Companion has died! (Amy doesn't count, she lived a full life and was just basically put on a bus) Now let's see who'll be next!

OOOOOH next week's episode is the one with just Capaldi in it and it looks pretty great. biggrin.gif

So from this low-budget episode(lol) we're gonna go straight into the 2-part finale for the season, hmm.... so obviously he escapes, and then we got Moffat saying the ending is a doozy so let's see!

....Doctor Who season is ending in 3 weeks, waaaah!

Well, plus a Christmas episode, but still.

Just watched the newest episode: I thought it was kind of underwhelming, considering how "devastated" everyone was acting. I perused tumblr for people's reactions before I watched it myself and didn't feel quite as heartbroken as I expected to. I liked Clara - I skipped all of Matt Smith's seasons because I didn't like him or the Ponds, but Clara and Capaldi were possibly my favorite dynamic duo since my heart and soul Rose Tyler left the show. Idk, I thought the episode overall was meh, but I will miss Clara.

I was not prepared for that at all. I guessed halfway through the episode what the punch-line would be, but still.

I really, really want to know who Ashielda made the deal with to catch the Doctor. (If you already know through previews tho please don't spoil it for me)

Edited by AlexisV

I fell asleep partway through. Guess I'll have to watch the repeat next week to see what of it I missed. (I don't care for Ashielda...)

Just watched the newest episode: I thought it was kind of underwhelming, considering how "devastated" everyone was acting. I perused tumblr for people's reactions before I watched it myself and didn't feel quite as heartbroken as I expected to. I liked Clara - I skipped all of Matt Smith's seasons because I didn't like him or the Ponds, but Clara and Capaldi were possibly my favorite dynamic duo since my heart and soul Rose Tyler left the show. Idk, I thought the episode overall was meh, but I will miss Clara.

The worst part is, it was completely pointless. If she hadn't switched with Rigsy, Yshilda would've been able to fix it. But nope, because she did that, she died with no real meaning behind it. But no, Clara decided to try and be CLEVER and use her words against her. Fail.

The worst part is, it was completely pointless. If she hadn't switched with Rigsy, Yshilda would've been able to fix it. But nope, because she did that, she died with no real meaning behind it. But no, Clara decided to try and be CLEVER and use her words against her. Fail.

Yeah, it was kind of stupid on her part. The Doctor did keep pointing out that Clara was reckless and enjoyed taking risks too much. He could get away with it because, as he said, he's less breakable, and I think able to put a hell of a lot more thought into his actions beforehand.

It was really never going end any other way for her, imo. Even if the Doctor had left Clara behind for her own safety like he tried to with Amy and Rory, she'd have gotten into this kind of trouble without him.

Edited by AlexisV

I don't know if any Doctor Who fans will see this and be able to help but I'll ask any way

my grandfather's girlfriend has asked for my help in ordering a gift for her grandson

he is 13 and a Doctor Who fan, that's all the info she gave me or knows and her limit is $50

I never got in to Doctor Who so I don't know what would be a good gift, I'm looking around eBay right now and have no clue

I say a Tardis Tea Pot would be cool, but mum keeps saying No, not for a boy

don't worry we settled on a Tardis Desktop Lamp

Edited by InugamiZERO