Completely Different

Doctor Who

Bow ties are cool.

A case of fandom/reality crossover: according to wikipedia the Bowtie Nebula (aka boomerang nebula) is the coolest place in the known universe. wink.gif

Another thing I disliked about 11th was that Matt Smith's face looks like it was molded out of playdoh or wax. xd.png I mean none of the actors who've played the Doctor have been attractive by American standards, but his face looks all... lumpy and stuff. I dunno, there's not many attractive British actors in general after a quick google search so I guess the emphasis is more on acting ability(of male actors anyway, females still need to be more attractive to be popular) in contrast to America where looks are more important, but... eh.

I don't hate 11, but he's definitely not my favorite. He was just too immature for my tastes. I don't mind some comedy, don't get me wrong, but with him it felt overdone. And any deeper, darker emotion was so contrasting with his normal behavior that it seemed… fake is the wrong word... I guess out of place? Maybe I just didn't like Matt Smith, but I thought 10 explored the extremes a lot better without becoming so ridiculous.

I really didn't like 11 and River Song, either. I loved River as a character but their relationship seemed so forced ehhhhh. D:

Agreed - it was never that I hated him, more that 11 just... didn't feel quite right to me. The severe dislike tended to come more when my friends would obsess over him. So people who like Matt Smith as the Doctor: I promise you're not alone. I have a couple friends who were/are absolutely obsessed with the 11th Doctor to a point where it drove me crazy. xd.png

Hawktalon may have hit on something, though: a lot of the writing for the 11th Doctor (and the recurring characters that were largely tied to him) felt rather forced. I think it may have been something to do with the writers trying to force Doctor Who to fit into conventional (sometimes overly linear) storytelling/storylines. And I think some of that forced-ness also came from this sense that they were still trying to write for a David Tennant-esque Doctor, even though Matt Smith was no David Tennant. (At least, that's how it felt to me.)

(To those who liked the 11th Doctor: sorry for harping on this so much.)

Edited by m_overdone

You're definitely not the only one who likes the 11th Doctor, most people I know think he's brilliant...the 6th Doctor (and Peri) on the other hand, I feel like I'm the only person who really loves them, which is unfair because both Colin and Nicola did a fantastic job with what they were given.

I love Doctor Who. smile.gif

I have only watched with the new doctors, though. From 9 til 11.

11 is my favourite. I can't really explain why. I just like him, hahaha.

I watched one with Peter Capaldi a while ago, and I didn't like it, but I rewatched it today and thought it was alright, so hopefully I will have time to watch some more. smile.gif

I disapprove of all of this. I don't want to wait a whole year for series 10, I don't want Moffat to leave *multiple pouty sad faces*

In seriousness while I am sad to see that Moffat will go and we won't have quite as much Doctor-Doctor as I would like, I am glad to see that the new forerunner is a fan and also an award-winner in his own right, so I'm sure the show will continue to be epic. I just wonder if they will do like they did for Moffat - new Doctor, new companion, new everything. Which would also be sad as I would like to see Capaldi stick around for a few more years. Much as I am a massive fan of Matt Smith I cannot deny that Capaldi's age and experience means he can pull of some very heavy plots that Matt would have struggled with (for example, 'Heaven Sent').

Steven Moffat is leaving after season 10:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/...-chris-chibnall

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/...-chris-chibnall

Honestly, I think I will miss Moffat. As aggravating as his showrunning could be sometimes, when he got it right he could be utterly amazing.

Season 10 isn't coming out till 2017???!??!?! WHAT NO. Well now I'm upset. Having to wait a year in between seasons is bad enough but this is going to be torture LOL.

I don't honestly have an opinion other than that LOL. I haven't enjoyed Moffat's stories as much as RTD's (ohhh the plot holes), but he did do a lot of things I liked. Two of my favorite characters, River and Missy, were his. But I am excited to see a new, fresh writing style to the show.

Honestly, while the year wait till the next Christmas special feels like a long time, it's peanuts compared to the wait between old Who and new Who! xd.png

Honestly, while the year wait till the next Christmas special feels like a long time, it's peanuts compared to the wait between old Who and new Who! xd.png

Hahaha. I may have been alive when oldWho was still going(Barely) but I certainly don't remember it since I wasn't a fan yet(or old enough to watch, or in the right country anyway), and I daresay a lot of fans these days haven't experienced that pain either.

I do see where they're coming with it though. I mean, the Olympics are a pretty big deal. In 2012 they only had 5 Doctor Who episodes(plus a Christmas Special) because the Olympics were IN London, and they only aired after the Olympics finished, which made it really crunched for time. Basically, bad setup there, probably made them say 'screw it' for this year and just skip 2016.

2008, they showed it in late spring and finished before the Olympics started, the last episode was in July, Olympics were in August. They actually scheduled it appropriately, unlike 2012.

This year they dragged their feet too much on getting work started on the next season that it became too late. They need to shift the schedule back to the spring anyway, it's a lot more convenient for everyone involved.

Edited by zaverxi

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I'm really glad Moffat is leaving.. I am forever and always a big fan of RTD; 9 and 10 were my favorite doctors, Rose was my favorite companion (...and one of my favorite fictional characters of all time...) and Moffat kind of ruined everything I loved about DW. Also, he is directly associated with my least favorite characters on the entire show: 11, Amy Pond, and River Song. I do like 12 and Clara, though!

Will Capaldi be leaving, then, since Moffat is going? It would be exciting finding out who the next Doctor is - I was so overjoyed the day Capaldi was announced because I could already tell I was going to like him a million times more than Matt Smith (nothing against Matt Smith himself but god, I just really don't like 11). But then there's the chance that they'll replace Capaldi with someone sub-par. Mixed emotionsss

In defense of 11: everyone else I know irl (those who watch DW, anyway) all love him. They can't comprehend why I don't. So he's certainly a popular one. But he's no 10th doctor D:

Has anyone else heard that there will be no new episodes of DW until next year? My brother read that somewhere and I am unsure if it's true. The only new episode this year will be for Christams dry.gif

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I'm really glad Moffat is leaving.. I am forever and always a big fan of RTD; 9 and 10 were my favorite doctors, Rose was my favorite companion (...and one of my favorite fictional characters of all time...) and Moffat kind of ruined everything I loved about DW. Also, he is directly associated with my least favorite characters on the entire show: 11, Amy Pond, and River Song. I do like 12 and Clara, though!

Will Capaldi be leaving, then, since Moffat is going? It would be exciting finding out who the next Doctor is - I was so overjoyed the day Capaldi was announced because I could already tell I was going to like him a million times more than Matt Smith (nothing against Matt Smith himself but god, I just really don't like 11). But then there's the chance that they'll replace Capaldi with someone sub-par. Mixed emotionsss

In defense of 11: everyone else I know irl (those who watch DW, anyway) all love him. They can't comprehend why I don't. So he's certainly a popular one. But he's no 10th doctor D:

Actually, I'm in the same boat as you, for the most part. (Although I actually did like River Song a lot - I just felt like Moffat kinda ruined how she was written. Way too heavy-handed on the whole romance-with-the-Doctor thing, etc.)

My one major disagreement is that I'm actually not a huge fan of Capaldi - or rather, not a huge fan of the way they've written his Doctor. I agree that Matt Smith's seasons were very "meh" - it felt at times like the writers were trying too hard to make him Tennant 2.0, while also simultaneously making his storylines too conventional. (Though, like you said, I think that's more because of the writing than because of Matt Smith. And, like you, I also have a lot of friends who absolutely love Matt Smith's Doctor. In fact, some of them were obsessed with his Doctor to a point where it kinda ruined my ability to really appreciate much of anything about the 11th Doctor.) So I was really looking forward to a new, super different personality for the Doctor, but I felt like with Capaldi, the writers kinda swung to the other end of the spectrum - i.e. instead of trying too hard to make the actor feel like the previous Doctor, they tried too hard to make the new Doctor feel like the current actor. Which is to say that Capaldi has a reputation for looking kinda surly and playing super surly characters, and the writers seemed to just make "surly" the single, most overpowering trait of the 12th doctor, which... let's just say, despite the fact that Clara seemed to have potential as a great companion, the way they wrote for Capaldi's Doctor turned me off to the point where I kinda stopped watching Doctor Who. (So I am fairly behind right now.) I might re-start watching and try to catch up now that I know Moffat is leaving soon, though.

^^

@m_overdone: Give season 9 a try if you haven't already. IMHO Capaldi's Doctor is way better written in s9 than s8; the plots are better too.

Whenever Rory and Amy entered the show, everything seemed fine at first, but then I just got so bloody confused after the whole 'Silence' episode where they kill those strange creatures. It got way too confusing after that point. Like when did Amy get kidnapped and they have a doppelganger stand in? Like wut? unsure.gif And they did kind of ruin the way River Song was written.

Such a shame because River happened to be one of my characters of the show and it was way too confusing with what was going on with the 11th Doctor.

Also, Clara was like my second favorite character and they kind of ruined how she was written too. She wanted to be with the Doctor to spend time with Danny, then she wanted to be with the Doctor, then she didn't, then she did. And then Danny died and then Clara decided to go back traveling with the Doctor. To me that killed Clara for me.

9 was fantastic - CE gave the show new life and gave birth to a whole new generation of whovians.

10 was ... brilliant, just brilliant. DT is by far the best of the newer doctors, but I am in love with him so I may be slightly bias in that opinion lol.

11... I didn't think I'd like MS, but OMG that man can act. He really made me believe he was a very old man in a very young body.

12... I've gotta say i'm still not keen. there has been some good moments, but I don't think the casting was quite right. His first episode was very good but it all went a bit downhill after that.

I'm very interested to see who will replace him after next season. I think it should be another older man, but someone with a younger heart.

9 was fantastic - CE gave the show new life and gave birth to a whole new generation of whovians.

10 was ... brilliant, just brilliant. DT is by far the best of the newer doctors, but I am in love with him so I may be slightly bias in that opinion lol.

11... I didn't think I'd like MS, but OMG that man can act. He really made me believe he was a very old man in a very young body.

12... I've gotta say i'm still not keen. there has been some good moments, but I don't think the casting was quite right. His first episode was very good but it all went a bit downhill after that. 

I'm very interested to see who will replace him after next season. I think it should be another older man, but someone with a younger heart.

Agreed! (Well... I wasn't particularly keen on Matt Smith, either, though I do think he did his best with what he got.)

Also - Peter Capaldi's definitely leaving???

Edited by m_overdone

^^

@m_overdone: Give season 9 a try if you haven't already. IMHO Capaldi's Doctor is way better written in s9 than s8; the plots are better too.

Thanks for the pro-tip!

Recent update: Peter Capaldi was asked to stay on after Moffat leaves, and he's said yes! cool.gifbiggrin.gif

BBC.co.uk - Peter Capaldi: "I will be around as Doctor Who for as long as it's right for me to be around"

*Flails and fangirls*

to be completely honest, Peter Capaldi is one of my favorite doctors! biggrin.gif

He's hilarious, and can play off so many aspects of the Doctor so well, he can be ridiculous and hilarious (I mean seriously, Sonic Sunglasses? xd.png ) But he can also play the dark side of the doctor perfectly too. I mean look at those intimidating eyebrows, too.