Completely Different

Doctor Who

I am not watching the Dr Who ( I just watched the first season because the Doctor was Malekith from the Thor2 xd.png) But my roomate a really big fan. I think the story of the Dr Who is fantastic and the new Doctor is great. He is looks like an crazy Einstein smile.gif

I do hope the one they name in this article will not be the next Doctor. I don't like him much, and the fact that he is in a relationship with Jenna Coleman IRL worries me... maybe they will find a way to bring her back if he is the Doctor *major puke*

As for the Christmas Special, I LOVE River. And the reverse role playing was great. The way he looked at her... OMG. It was really bittersweet to see how she got the screwdriver...

Dear heavens... I just rewatched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. It tore my heart in a million pieces now.

Dear heavens... I just rewatched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. It tore my heart in a million pieces now.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaame

And wasn't there an episode later on when River talks about how one day she'll meet the Doctor and he wouldn't know who she is and it'd kill her?

Also 2000 posts finally wootwoot!

Also an entire year until we get season 10. sleep.gif; I might pine away and die now kthx

And wasn't there an episode later on when River talks about how one day she'll meet the Doctor and he wouldn't know who she is and it'd kill her?

"The Impossible Astronaut."

Hubs is just watching a Dr. Who film with Peter Cushing as the Dr with his granddaughter Susan, and Bernard Cribbins as one of his assistants.

Those were the days...

The possibility of another doctor on the horizon. Pffft. It seems like actors just want to say they've played him and take off these days.

The good old ones used to hang around for a few years and actually play him properly.

I think I'm getting too old...

Apparently there's a contrast. Some people say he actually wanted to be different from the rest of the doctors by being kind of harsh and stuff. Then the other half says Peter never got to do what he wanted to do as a Doctor. Towards the end of this season, he started to grow on me. I really didn't like what he did with Clara, but hey, that'd make a great spinoff series (if they agree to do it that is >.>)

Hubs is just watching a Dr. Who film with Peter Cushing as the Dr with his granddaughter Susan, and Bernard Cribbins as one of his assistants.

Those were the days...

I enjoyed those films! smile.gif

I have not seen much of the original series. but I am not a fan of the newest doctor. I had to get used to the previous doctor, but he turned out to be ok. I was a huge fan of Tenant as the doctor.

The possibility of another doctor on the horizon. Pffft. It seems like actors just want to say they've played him and take off these days.

The good old ones used to hang around for a few years and actually play him properly.

I think I'm getting too old...

Actually I just looked it up, and only 3rd and 4th Doctor actors stayed around for longer than 3 full seasons.

Hartnell couldn't finish a 4th season due to health, Troughton left after 3 seasons to avoid being typecast, Davison left after 3 seasons because he didn't like the way the series was going(although he also said if they were all more like Caves of Androzani he would've stayed) Colin Baker got FIRED after only two seasons, and McCoy was the last Doctor of the original series because the series got cancelled, also only 3 seasons.

So... yeah, 3 seasons seems to be the norm rather than a trend. It's Pertwee and Tom Baker that were the unusual ones.

I like Capaldi and I'll be sad to see him go. Tennant was still my favorite though. In order of favorite to least favorite, I think it's along the lines of:

David Tennant, Peter Davison, Peter Capaldi, Tom Baker, John Hurt, Christopher Eccleston, Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton(What I was able to see of him anyway... damnit BBC) Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, William Hartnell, Matt Smith, Colin Baker.

I included John Hurt because he totally counts even if he's not a 'numbered' Doctor.

Yesterday at work, a young lady at the reception desk was very startled when I said, "Oh, good! Another Doctor Who fan!" She'd forgotten she had a TARDIS as her phone protector. xd.png Of course we traded favourites, hers being David Tennant in the new series (mine, too). I don't think she had ever watched the old.

Actually I just looked it up, and only 3rd and 4th Doctor actors stayed around for longer than 3 full seasons.

Yeah, three seasons at least, as opposed to one and two.

William Hartnell will always be the Doctor as far as hubby and I are concerned. I never liked Tom Baker anyway, but hubby did take to Patrick Troughton.

I still say it's some actors' childhood dream to play him.

Lagie, Hubby has the Tardis coming and going as his email prompt on his phone!

And for Christmas, he got me to buy him a T-shirt with an interactive Tardis that works with a phone app. Bless!!

Hartnell couldn't finish a 4th season due to health, Troughton left after 3 seasons to avoid being typecast, Davison left after 3 seasons because he didn't like the way the series was going(although he also said if they were all more like Caves of Androzani he would've stayed) Colin Baker got FIRED after only two seasons, and McCoy was the last Doctor of the original series because the series got cancelled, also only 3 seasons.

So... yeah, 3 seasons seems to be the norm rather than a trend. It's Pertwee and Tom Baker that were the unusual ones.

I like Capaldi and I'll be sad to see him go. Tennant was still my favorite though. In order of favorite to least favorite, I think it's along the lines of:

David Tennant, Peter Davison, Peter Capaldi, Tom Baker, John Hurt, Christopher Eccleston, Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton(What I was able to see of him anyway... damnit BBC) Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, William Hartnell, Matt Smith, Colin Baker.

I included John Hurt because he totally counts even if he's not a 'numbered' Doctor.

Length of episodes has changed too, I remember reading in a trivia book somewhere that the new Doctors have each had very nearly as much screentime as any of the classics, Tom Baker still has the most hours but David Tennant and Matt Smith come 2nd and 3rd by a pretty close margin.

Length of episodes has changed too, I remember reading in a trivia book somewhere that the new Doctors have each had very nearly as much screentime as any of the classics, Tom Baker still has the most hours but David Tennant and Matt Smith come 2nd and 3rd by a pretty close margin.

Matt Smith took me forever to get used to

Matt Smith took me forever to get used to

I never did.

I never did.

Neither did I (but I think the "Ponds" had a lot to do with me not liking him).

I disliked 11th greatly. His mannerisms irritated the crap out of me.

Edited by zaverxi

I've finally gotten my hands on the 12th doctor's episodes, looking forward to watching them. <3

I got into Who with the 9th Doctor, loved 10th's run, 11th's was decent, but I really did not take to River Song, her whole arc and 'romance' with the Doctor was weird at best. I hope they've dropped the companion/Doctor romance with the 12th's run, because from Rose onward (her included) it's done nothing but irritate me. tongue.gif

I've seen some classic Who and liked it in general, but a majority of it is still there for me to explore - so I won't be running out of DW to watch for a good, long while. smile.gif

Edited by stagazer_7

This!

I've finally gotten my hands on the 12th doctor's episodes, looking forward to watching them. <3

I got into Who with the 9th Doctor, loved 10th's run, 11th's was decent, but I really did not take to River Song, her whole arc and 'romance' with the Doctor was weird at best. I hope they've dropped the companion/Doctor romance with the 12th's run, because from Rose onward (her included) it's done nothing but irritate me. tongue.gif

I've seen some classic Who and liked it in general, but a majority of it is still there for me to explore - so I won't be running out of DW to watch for a good, long while. smile.gif

Fair warning: season 8 is kind of terrible. (Nearly everyone has a different reason as to why, but it seems to be a universal opinion.) I'd say it's still worth watching because there are some amazing scenes and moments in most of the episodes, but, yeah. It gets better once you reach the Christmas special.

I'd say I like all the new series Doctors equally, for different reasons. 9 was my first Doctor and had this awesome bittersweet light out of pain and darkness vibe. 10 is just all-around awesome, 11 is probably the one I'd most like to travel with. 12 I really like for his strong personality and almost aggressive bravery, I can relate a tiny bit to him being socially inept and kind of damaged, and the bad kid in my likes the way he can mouth off to anyone and get away with it because Clara is/was the only person in the universe he was answerable to.

I'm the same way, though I'm not entirely sure why. Matt Smith is a perfectly capable actor. I think part of what grated me the wrong way is that - especially in Matt Smith's first few episodes - it felt like the writers were trying too hard to make him David Tennant 2.0.

My favorite doctors were probably the tenth, the fourth, and the ninth. David Tennant (10) and Tom Baker (4) brought the perfect kind of quirkiness to the role, and Christopher Eccleston (9) brought in an unusual serious/tough-but-still-whimsical vibe that I really liked.

I don't hate 11, but he's definitely not my favorite. He was just too immature for my tastes. I don't mind some comedy, don't get me wrong, but with him it felt overdone. And any deeper, darker emotion was so contrasting with his normal behavior that it seemed… fake is the wrong word... I guess out of place? Maybe I just didn't like Matt Smith, but I thought 10 explored the extremes a lot better without becoming so ridiculous.

I really didn't like 11 and River Song, either. I loved River as a character but their relationship seemed so forced ehhhhh. D:

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who loved 11 sad.gif

user posted image

Bow ties are cool.

Edited by Kestra15