Completely Different

Doctor Who

Hey look, fellow Whovians! :3

I always feel awkward coming into topics this large, for some reason haha.

But yeah. I finally got into DW last Christmas and caught up on 6 1/2 seasons in less than two weeks, because I'm insane |D

Loved Day of the Doctor; can't wait for the Christmas special. But... redfsjlxz I can't deal with the fact that just when I start to legitimately love Matt Smith he's going to be gone now >n<

I admittedly disliked him for a while because Tennant was my favorite, even though I disliked Tennant in his first episode too because I liked Eccleston. But seeing as how Tennant became my favorite, I think I was more bitter towards Smith (I certainly disliked him for more than just his first episode, unlike Ten, that's for sure haha), but now that I've come to love him it's just... sdjkzxcl ;A;

Edited by MokiHunter

One last cameo...that made my day.

Goodbye Eleven. Bow-ties will forever be cool.

Whoop! For Christmas I got a t-shirt with the new Doctor and the 10th's sonic screwdriver biggrin.gif

Currently watching Day of the Doctor again (love the rabbit) and looking forward to the Holiday special.

Edited by rubyshoes

The rabbit was cute! xd.png

Surely I can't be the only person to be relieved about the regeneration? I do hope Peter Capaldi's Doctor is a little less frenetic. (Or maybe it's Moffatt's writing...? I haven't enjoyed many of Matt Smith's episodes at all.)

I received a TARDIS travel mug for Christmas. smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to the new regeneration. I've never really liked Matt Smirth's doctor. I was watching the Matt Smith goodbye special and the things they said "everyone" loved were the things that really put me off of his doctor from the very beginning. I'm sorry but the whole fish fingers and custard and the scenes leading up to that just really seemed forced and it put me off from liking him from the start.

I usually always watch Doctor Who reruns but I didn't watch any of them over the last two days that BBCAmerica was running them as they were all Matt Smith's episodes and I just don't really like rewatching those (Day of the Doctor is an exception).

I like the episodes with Clara a bit more than the with the Ponds so some of those I might rewatch.

But I'm really looking forward to a new doctor which is a first for me as far as Doctor Who is concerned.

edit: Yeah Lagie I do wonder if it is Moffat's writing that I don't like as well.

Edited by rubyshoes

I found most of my dislike of the show came from Amy Pond. I was a big fan of Doctor Who when Ten was around. Then Eleven came and I liked the first episode, but after that it fell apart. I didn't even realize WHAT bothered me until Amy was gone. I found myself enjoying the show (and the doctor's performance) SO much more with Clara. Overall, though, I prefer the old head writer of Doctor Who. He just seemed to understand the material and heart of the show more. Moffat doesn't capture that. AT ALL. I feel like he tries too hard to be "smart" and it comes off as just pretentious. I mean, honestly, we don't need these big convoluted plot lines. Just stick with exploring the universe and character progression. That's plot enough.

I have not seen the Time Of The Doctor but when I do... I am very very sad that 11 is going sad.gif. I have heard rumors that Matt Smith is actually the 13 doctor due to John Hurt and The 10th other half in the parallel world, and that Timelords can only regenerate 12 times. I think River Song's regenoration power she gave the Doctor gave him enough juice to regenorate. What is your hypothosis?

Throwing my opinion into the mix: I'm pretty neutral on the Moffat/RTD thing, as I have things that I like about each and really dislike about each. In general though, I don't particularly like most girl companions at all... though I do like more Classic-era female companions than in NuWho.

But I'm really looking forward to a new doctor which is a first for me as far as Doctor Who is concerned.

Same for me, on both parts. I'm super excited for Capaldi; I was really hoping for an older Doctor.

I have not seen the Time Of The Doctor but when I do... I am very very sad that 11 is going sad.gif. I have heard rumors that Matt Smith is actually the 13 doctor due to John Hurt and The 10th other half in the parallel world, and that Timelords can only regenerate 12 times. I think River Song's regenoration power she gave the Doctor gave him enough juice to regenorate. What is your hypothosis?

Well, those of us who have already seen it know how Smith was able to change into Capaldi. So I won't give my answer as it'd be a spoiler. happy.gif As for any future regenerations after Capaldi though... I have no idea. :3

I found most of my dislike of the show came from Amy Pond. I was a big fan of Doctor Who when Ten was around. Then Eleven came and I liked the first episode, but after that it fell apart. I didn't even realize WHAT bothered me until Amy was gone. I found myself enjoying the show (and the doctor's performance) SO much more with Clara. Overall, though, I prefer the old head writer of Doctor Who. He just seemed to understand the material and heart of the show more. Moffat doesn't capture that. AT ALL. I feel like he tries too hard to be "smart" and it comes off as just pretentious. I mean, honestly, we don't need these big convoluted plot lines. Just stick with exploring the universe and character progression. That's plot enough.

Yeah. I think a lot of my dislike is also due to Amy Pond. I've always felt that Moffat seems a lot like a bad fan fiction writer who makes his original characters (i.e . the Ponds ) more important than the "real" main character of the story.

I'm also tired of the long convoluted plots. The Doctor and his companion exploring the universe is much more interesting to me.

I also don't really like when the doctor is constantly returning and picking up the companion who he had "returned home" to their job/family what ever and then they go off explore etc. I like when the companion and doctor stay together like in the "old" episodes.

Edited by rubyshoes

Yeah. I think a lot of my dislike is also due to Amy Pond. I've always felt that Moffat seems a lot like a bad fan fiction writer who makes his original characters (i.e . the Ponds ) more important than the "real" main character of the story.

EXACTLY. It wasn't Doctor Who, it was the Amy Pony show. At least before, when there were companion-centric plots, they were relegated to one or two episodes tops. But, the entirety of the Eleven and Amy episodes were Amy-Centric. I didn't mind Rory, but he was basically degraded into this comedic relief "nerdy" character and only served as a ploy in Amy plots.

Not to mention, I really didn't feel like Matt Smith had ANY chemistry with Karen Gillan, yet they kept showing Amy as some great love that the Doctor had (the end of this last episode, anyone?) and I just didn't feel it. I thought Jenna Coleman and Matt Smith had WAY more chemistry. They FELT like two characters who legitimately enjoyed each other's company. Amy's companionship always felt shoehorned in, like Moffat was trying to do his version of Rose and failing miserably. But, that could also be a little biased talking because, like I said, I never liked her.

I also don't really like when the doctor is constantly returning and picking up the companion who he had "returned home" to their job/family what ever and then they go off explore etc. I like when the companion and doctor stay together like in the "old" episodes.

I also don't like that either. I mean, why would he do that in the first place? He could just go back in time and drop them off whenever. It seems a waste of time to continue to do that over and over and over. HE HAS A TIME MACHINE. His companions don't have a real life schedule when he has a time machine.

Edited by MysticTiger

does anyone know anywhere I can watch the Christmas special online for free?

I'm also tired of the long convoluted plots. The Doctor and his companion exploring the universe is much more interesting to me.

Arc plots, urgh. When they're good, they can really help carry a show, but when they're too twisted on themselves, it completely detracts and makes episodes less enjoyable if you haven't seen the ones that went before. Hopefully Capaldi's Doctor will be given more stand-alone episodes.

BBCAmerica has been showing David Tennant episodes today. I've been enjoying watching those.

As have I! smile.gif I specifically planned my visit to the cat out west so I could sit down and quietly watch Blink out there.

Well, those of us who have already seen it know how Smith was able to change into Capaldi. So I won't give my answer as it'd be a spoiler. happy.gif As for any future regenerations after Capaldi though... I have no idea. :3

I finally saw it! Sad... but funny I shall miss the raggady old man! I can't believe that Amy was there for 30 some seconds at the end tho!

Just saw the latest episode: so many mixed feelings!

my favourite doctor so far would definitely be Tennant, and my favourite character would actually be the tardis in human form, i absolutely loved her character! I think Rose would be my favourite companion so far.

Favourite episode was definitely Blink, and the silence episodes.

Edited by missyjayne

Arc plots, urgh. When they're good, they can really help carry a show, but when they're too twisted on themselves, it completely detracts and makes episodes less enjoyable if you haven't seen the ones that went before. Hopefully Capaldi's Doctor will be given more stand-alone episodes.

Or at least a more straight-forward plot i.e. the search for Gallifrey.

I do love my plot arcs but I also appreciate it's been the biggest criticism of Eleven's reign, so hopefully we can have a happy medium where the point is Twelve is looking for Gallifrey, but it becomes little moments in episodes and much less in-depth so that we're all happy.

Honestly, Matt Smith was my favourite Doctor. I loved Ten as well, he was fantastic, but something about Smith as Eleven...I can't put my finger on it but needless to say, I was incredibly sad to see him go:/ BUT, while I was a little nervous about the new actor when they announced Capaldi as Twelve, from what little I've seen of him so far I already love him:) Haha that last scene in Time of the Doctor was great.

On a related note, has anyone else here come to the realization that he played in another episode of Doctor Who during Tennant's time, The Fires of Pompeii, as the dad from that one family? So that's cool:)

I also got a Doctor Who Christmas present, a large glass TARDIS ornament:D best gift ever!

On a related note, has anyone else here come to the realization that he played in another episode of Doctor Who during Tennant's time, The Fires of Pompeii, as the dad from that one family? So that's cool:)

That's the one reason why I didn't think they'd pick him originally.

As you have to with Dr.Who these days, I remain open-minded...

The Christmas special was meh (in my opinion, of course). I can't believe that Moffat could write such brilliant episodes as Silence in the library/Forest of the Dead, and then come up with a terrible 7th season/Christmas special.

About the special... I think the loose ends he tried to fix were done in a hurried way, to say the least. I was almost terrified of the Silence.... and it turns out they are only priests? Sheesh. I expected something more meaty biggrin.gif

I am glad to see Capaldi as the Doctor. Now I hope Clara does not last long xd.png

Capaldi was also in Torchwood: Children of Earth. Supposedly his previous appearances will be addressed once he's regenerated.

Capaldi was also in Torchwood: Children of Earth. Supposedly his previous appearances will be addressed once he's regenerated.

Just like how Amy appeared in another episode in 10's era- only it wasn't Amy? Or how Wilfred appeared in another episode and their excuse was "Well, it COULD have been him".

It's a little silly, honestly.

Doctor Who: The continuing adventures of one alien as he time-travels through the universe, saving planets, defeating evil, and running for his life. There's an outrageous amount of running involved.

user posted image

For those who don't know, those are the 11 Doctors. And yes, they're all the same character. (Handy little trick, changing your form. wink.gif )

So....favourite episodes? Favourite companion? Favourite Doctors?

(Note- this is slightly different to Rhea's topic, since it discusses the show as a whole, not just Matt Smith and his new series).

technically there are 13 doctors, john hurt was featured as the doctor that was around during the time war. and peter capaldi will be the final doctor. (unless the doctor can regenerate more than 13 times and didn't bother to tell anyone).