Completely Different

Doctor Who

Wheee! *pokes head in*

Yeah, so I've pretty much just started watching Doctor Who. Just finished the Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks two part. I'm really excited for Blink. I heard it's good?

Heard the news about Matt Smith, though. If only Tennant could come back.

Blink is good...especially for a Doctor-light episode. I suggest watching it with the lights off if you like a bit of a fright.

Well Tennant will be in the anniversary episode, so that's something. :3

Blink is really good. Silence in the library is another good one.

The first time you see any of Moffat's ideas used is the best, any subsequent episodes are a bit ehh because he tends to reuse good ideas.

I just found out reading this thread that Matt Smith is leaving!

*off to read the news*

Spoiler free news, since there is much of Doctor Who I have not seen. I will keep it news light. xd.png

I just sort of want Bill Nye to be the Doctor. Heh.

What do you guys think are the worst episodes of the New Who? Just want to see some opinions.

The last episode of season 7 was a let down and just plain weird and confusing for me! Has season 8 started? Well I haven't seen any of it here in Aus!

I haven't finished the past few episodes. xd.png

Though I did finally see "The Crimson Horror" and rather liked that one.

And now that I am caught up on the news, I am fine with Matt Smith leaving. Am not sure if it was the writing (I really need to start watching old Doctor Whos!) or if it was Smith's sort of overly frenzied playing of the role ... he seemed too much like he was acting at times to suit me ...

But I am glad that Clara seems to be staying on.

Edited by missy_

What do you guys think are the worst episodes of the New Who? Just want to see some opinions.

Rings, Bells, Pandorica, Victory, Closing Time was absolutely awful, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe I have never seen an episode as bad as this one and Dinosaurs was just tolerable.

A Town Called Mercy. Hands down.

There are a few episodes that I don't consider strong ones and will probably never crave to re-watch but one that bugged me a lot was The Power of Three.

(Mild spoilers about the pacing of the story.)

It's not like it didn't have potential...it was definitely interesting at first. But the first bit of action relevant to the plot took place 15 minutes into the episode, and we started finding out what was really going on by the time it had reached the half-hour mark. The whole thing was explained and resolved - literally - in the last 5 minutes. And of course it ended with the cheesiest line ever. Sure, there were some fun moments in the episode, but on the whole I was vastly disappointed.

As for some others...Love & Monsters (a bit too silly for my taste), The Unicorn and the Wasp, Victory of the Daleks and The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe were not my cup of tea. The Rings of Akhaten was also quite bland, the only interesting parts were the space shots and the Doctor's speech.

I'm not going to read this thread too closely but I'm to the middle of the episode with LINDA.

This show is so cute and I adore Rose Tyler and ermergerd my inner lisping fangirl is screaming NOW KITH every time I see a tender moment between The Doctor and Rose. *0* Rose is so strong and brave and good and she just represents everything I like about people you know just HUMANITY aaaaaah I know she can't stay the companion forever but I sort of secretly wish she could.

Also I prefer Chris to David is that weird I think everyone prefers David or Matt why am I so odd jeez the tension between Rose and the 9th was just so much more palpable.

;_; Why is this show so wonderful.

I'm not going to read this thread too closely but I'm to the middle of the episode with LINDA.

This show is so cute and I adore Rose Tyler and ermergerd my inner lisping fangirl is screaming NOW KITH every time I see a tender moment between The Doctor and Rose. *0* Rose is so strong and brave and good and she just represents everything I like about people you know just HUMANITY aaaaaah I know she can't stay the companion forever but I sort of secretly wish she could.

Also I prefer Chris to David is that weird I think everyone prefers David or Matt why am I so odd jeez the tension between Rose and the 9th was just so much more palpable.

;_; Why is this show so wonderful.

No I'm totally with you, I think I shipped 9xRose much more than I shipped 10xRose (but I just preferred David Tennant overall.) But ahh I really loved Chris - almost as much as I loved David. I could hardly stand Matt honestly.

And yes, I loved Rose. She was my favorite of the companions. Every moment with her and 9 made me scream inside.

Strangely, I have an irl friend who:

1. Hated Chris

2. Prefers Matt over Chris and David

3. Hated Rose

I can't...even. When I found out she liked DW, I was so excited that we had that in common, but her opinions on DW are so different from mine! She wouldn't even watch the season with Chris in it, and she really despises Rose. -__-

(No you're not weird for preferring Chris I adored him especially because he was the first I ever watched but I guess...David was just my Doctor. He was the one for me /cries because he's gone)

I actually just started watching the show...I'm starting on Season 2 (yay David Tennant!). It's funny how I got involved/interested in it...I had seen some of the Weeping Angels on the internet and thought "Oh, I wonder why all these pictures say 'Don't Blink' on them!". Later that night, I had a freaky nightmare with those darn things. And this is from a girl who NEVER has nightmares. And so, the first episode I watched was Blink. And I'm in love with the Angels AND the series! In fact, I'm actually dressing as one of the Angels for Halloween. And I'm trying for an Angel lineage here. xd.png

Someone help me. The Angels have taken over my life. ;~;

No I'm totally with you, I think I shipped 9xRose much more than I shipped 10xRose (but I just preferred David Tennant overall.) But ahh I really loved Chris - almost as much as I loved David. I could hardly stand Matt honestly.

And yes, I loved Rose. She was my favorite of the companions. Every moment with her and 9 made me scream inside.

Strangely, I have an irl friend who:

1. Hated Chris

2. Prefers Matt over Chris and David

3. Hated Rose

I can't...even. When I found out she liked DW, I was so excited that we had that in common, but her opinions on DW are so different from mine! She wouldn't even watch the season with Chris in it, and she really despises Rose. -__-

(No you're not weird for preferring Chris I adored him especially because he was the first I ever watched but I guess...David was just my Doctor. He was the one for me /cries because he's gone)

I'd put money 10-1 that she only reads slash fiction and is the type of girl who likes to announce to rooms full of girls that she 'gets along better with guys because girls are high drama.'

But seriously, Rose is like the most awesome positive female role model. She's a brave little lion and while flawed grows over time and tries to do good as much as possible. I dig that censorkip.gif.

9xRose for lyfe yo.

I love Doctor Who! I just watched the last episode of season 2. I'm actually crying. It was so sad!

I loved Matt Smith as the Doctor. David Tennant cannot come back. He regenerated.

Someone help me. The Angels have taken over my life. ;~;

Welcome to the club. We should get t-shirts.

Edited by cheese456

Welcome to the club. We should get t-shirts.

Haha yes!!!! I'm the impossible girl and you better run you clever boy!

I have the movie of the 8th Doctor. I was sad that they did not conitnue hims as the Doctor cause he seemed so bubblely! Anyway, I found

on youtube an I thought it was hilarious!

I had some beef with Donna at first but Silence in the Library turned her around for me. Now I have beef with River mostly because of plot holes. Good character personality but the whole plot who she was really ticked me off.

I'll admit I didn't like Chris that much but that was only because I liked Tennant much more. Matt was alright at first but some episodes just really pissed me off.

Since he seems to be under-represented at the moment...Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor by far, and I am very upset to hear he's leaving. I'm sure I will enjoy the next Doctor and continue to be a Doctor Who fan, because the regeneration of the character is a core element of keeping the show fresh and new. But whenever someone says 'the Doctor' I will always think of bow-ties, cute Scottish redheads and a green diode on the screwdriver.

Geronimo.

You know what they should make? The Lost Days of the 8th Doctor. I mean, how did he regenerate into the 9th Doctor? Paul McGann was a great Doctor to me. He seemed so bubblely!

Sighs ok I have lots of feelings right now so here they are

Ok I was really quite glad to hear that Matt Smith was leaving because I don't like him that much and am eager to see a new Doctor...

But now I realize that it wasn't Matt Smith who I disliked (though imo he can never compare to Tennant), and it wasn't Matt who made me stop liking the show. It was Moffat. It was his writing and his weak characters and his abuse of power as a writer.

He's a good writer, no doubt. But he has changed DW so much that I literally could not even watch it anymore.

I was excited that Rose and 10 would be back for the 50th anniversary but now I'm just worried that it will all be a great disappointment. I don't think I trust Moffat with Rose and 10, my favorite characters from the entire show, the two people who made me fall in love with Doctor Who.

Moffat is doing anything he can to bring up the show's ratings/reviews/what have you. Playing with the thought of revealing the Doctor's name, for one thing. And what's going on with John Hurt as "8.5" or the so-called 'real 9'? Moffat is pretty much "rewriting DW history" (not my words but the words of someone with views similar to mine on the subject) and it makes me glad that I decided to stop watching the show after Tennant left.

I tried to like Matt Smith and maybe I could have grown to like him if he'd been given the potential - and I could have tried to like the new companions, or all the changes to DW, but Moffat.

Now I'm kind of sad to see Matt Smith go, because he'll never reach his full potential on the show because of Moffat.

...I just have too many problems with Moffat. He is sexist*, he is overpowered, he is messing everything up.

Overall it boils down to me really really hating what Moffat has done/is doing/will do.

I know that change in a show is inevitable. Especially in a show like Doctor Who.

But Moffat has ruined what Russel T Davies left him with. RTD had strong characters and plots and he made me love the show. I couldn't muster any emotional attachment to 11 or Amy or anyone who came along under Moffat's writing. And that is why I stopped watching.

Arghh

I don't expect anyone to agree with what I'm saying and in fact I expect a lot of people to strongly disagree, but I don't care because this is just how I feel and I wish Moffat was the one leaving, not Matt Smith.

*Moffat being sexist is another issue in itself but let me just say that I hate him and I hope to god there will never be a female doctor as long as Moffat is part of the show.

This article sums up my opinions, for the most part, regarding what I want to see in the next Doctor. http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/change-my-dear-51120.htm

Although I disagree with a few minor points, and I feel like a female Doctor would be awkward, I agree with wanting a regeneration (and companions) that harken back to the Classic series. An older-looking, grandfatherly Doctor instead of a romantic interest, a bigger variety of companions... *sigh* It's unlikely, but it's what I'd like to see. smile.gif

TBH, I'm not really liking what I'm hearing from Moffat (and some from Smith) regarding the 50th Anniv and where the show goes from there. But I know Moffat is trying to generate hype so he's probably rather exaggerating, but still. :/ I really don't like being negative, especially for a show I love as much as DW, but that's the impression I'm getting. Hopefully it all turns out well!