Completely Different

Doctor Who

About the breaking news, there's a name that is ranking as favourite in the bets. How do you see Rose Leslie aka Ygritte from Game of Thrones as the new companion for the Doctor?

Just in case the news are considered spoilers biggrin.gif

Don't know her, so I have no opinion on that!

22 more minutes... Is everyone ready?

*leaves coffee*

Edited by Lagie

So what did everybody think?

I personally liked Capaldi, Strax, Vestra and Jenny and I STILL can't warm up to Clara.

The plot was so-so, but I loved the focus on the whole regeneration problems.

Best part had to be Strax "blog" about regeneration that played in the cinemas beforehand <3<3<3

It's still on here.

The fact that I'm also online does not bode well...

I loved it smile.gif Much better introduction to a "new" Doctor than that horrible first episode of Matt Smith's doctor.

I recently started watching Doctor Who. I have no clue what's going on, but I love it!

I liked it, It had some really funny parts, and I love the new intro.

Although I think there was no need to see Matt¿s ugly face again, just the voice would have sufficed. tongue.gif

It's a decent show, but it's fan base can really get out of hand.

I've actually found it quite entertaining to bash the show in front of them just to see how they'll react. More often then not, it's with namecalling, capsing and sometimes even threats of violence.

It's still on here.

The fact that I'm also online does not bode well...

Oh dear, sorry you weren't impressed, Lagie. sad.gif

I too kept my laptop on, and put it on the coffee table 'just in case' but I didn't need it. I was on tenterhooks because I didn't know how Capaldi would play him but he didn't disappoint me. The plot might have been a bit shallow (why didn't an upset dinosaur crush buildings and eat every human it saw?) and I felt oh so sorry for the dinosaur, but on the whole I enjoyed it. Mind you, at one point I did turn round and ask hubby "when did Dr.Who become a comedy"? He reminded me that Strax gets really excellent lines.

Hmm...not so sure about problems with the regeneration - that's never happened before, why should it start now?

I'm not particularly a Clara fan, and whatever flirting she denies, it was there (if only through her eyes) so I think she had just as much adjusting to do as the Dr.

I did like the ending with Matt, though. We've all (some of us unhappily!) got used to young and at times quite mad doctors and now a much more mature one has taken his place. That probably won't go down well with the younger audience and although it was addressed to Clara, we've all been asked to give him a chance.

I'm ready to! smile.gif

Hmm...not so sure about problems with the regeneration - that's never happened before, why should it start now?

There have *always* been problems with regenerations, with the Doctor being confused, lashing out, etc. New Who has played it down a bit, whereas this new episode seemed more in line with the older idea.

I loved that episode. I really, really did. I am very excited to see how this Doctor matures and grows, I loved the call-backs, but I also liked that the Doctor still has his darkness. Capaldi does bring a lot of gravitas to the role, has toned down the mania but is still that mad, disjointed genius. The plot may be a bit shallow, but the aim of the episode is to introduce us to a new Doctor so you want an easy plot (much like 'The Beast Below').

Matt Smith will always be 'my' Doctor. But that doesn't mean Peter Capaldi isn't 'the' Doctor. In fact, I think I have a second favourite already.

Geronimo!

There have *always* been problems with regenerations, with the Doctor being confused, lashing out, etc. New Who has played it down a bit, whereas this new episode seemed more in line with the older idea.

Must be my age then. All I can remember about regeneration is the doctors giving themselves the 'once over' and can remember David Tennant not being happy with his teeth.

Hubby just told me that Tennant had more problems and recuperated at Rose's mum's house and Matt Smith had a food fetish with his.

Seems I was wrong with the newer ones but I can't remember this happening with the earlier ones, they just seemed to wake up, say 'hello' and get on with it!

I'll just wait for someone to list all the problems they all had now...!

I have high hopes for Capaldi.

I haven't seen Two's fist ep, but lesse:

Three spent some time in the hospital unconcious without anyone knowing him being the Doctor, waking up and stealing the clothes from one of the doctors who had tickets for the opera that evening (which combined with 8 and 11 brings hospital changing rooms up to place no1 for new costumes).

4 was in the UNIT hospital at first and was very maniacally hyperactive after waking up but overall smooth regeneration.

Five had to go into the zero room to cut himself of from the universe for a while to get over regeneration trauma. He called Nyssa, Tegan, and Adric various older companions and UNRAVELLED Four's scarf. He wasn't on his best during the whole Castrovavlva mess.

Six tried to KILL Peri.

Seven DIDIN'T recognize the Rani and thought her to be Mel because of a wig and costume change.

Eight - more or less smooth for waking up in the morgue.

Nine/War Doctor - we can't really tell

Ten spent about 2/3rds of his first ep unconcious in bed until Jackie gave him tea. Dethroned the prime minister he had told us earlier would rule a golden age for Britain - not exactly a sane decision in my book (especially considering who replaced Harriet Jones).

Eleven - relatively smooth regen but he had a lot of time to "die" that time, with him saying good bye to ALL companions, so I guess it wouldn't be as traumatic.

So Twelve (1a) after a pretty traumatic "death" with a whole bunch of new regenerations shoved down his throat (which I guess IS a bit of shock on the system) reacting a lot more messed up was actually exactly what I expected.

Happy to comply your expectations with the list wink.gif

Edited by herk

Oh dear, sorry you weren't impressed, Lagie. sad.gif

I'll get over it, thanks, quinney! smile.gif

I like most of what I saw of Capaldi, and hope he settles in soon.

Why hasn't Strax yet learned a male from a female? (That bit's grown really old for me.)

I liked who the 'villains' turned out to be (and I'm pleased to have figured it out before the Doctor did), though I didn't understand the ending bit with them.

So, hope for the future. I'll have to keep going elsewhere to see it for the next three or four weeks, though, as the houses I'm in won't have the right channel. rolleyes.gif

[snip]

I did like the ending with Matt, though.  We've all (some of us unhappily!) got used to young and at times quite mad doctors and now a much more mature one has taken his place. That probably won't go down well with the younger audience and although it was addressed to Clara, we've all been asked to give him a chance.

I'm ready to! smile.gif

This is pretty much how I looked at it, and I'm glad they kind of pointed out and made people question their prejudices here.

I'm liking Peter Capaldi so far. He reminds me of a lot of the early Doctors (not as much 3 as I was hoping, but oh well) and quite a bit of 9, dark and a little scary. (and I have to say at the end of the episode he was kind of adorable)

I like the new TARDIS console room. And I really, really want that blue and red jacket.

Edited by AlexisV

This is pretty much how I looked at it, and I'm glad they kind of pointed out and made people question their prejudices here.

I do feel that the scene with Vastra and Clara was very much Moffat speaking to the fans, saying they need to stop being idiots about Capaldi being 'too old.' John Hurt is a fantastic Doctor in his one screen appearance, and Capaldi has already done a similarly-brilliant job in one screening.

I finally watched Capaldi's episode: unfortunately I didn't get to see it when it first aired (unexpected surgery made me reschedule birthday weekend stuff and therefore I was gone when BBCA showed it), so I'm a bit late. At least BBCA showed a marathon of Eleventy episodes so I was able to watch some I had forgotten about while recuperating.

Anyway, I did enjoy it! It takes me a while to really get a definite opinion, but I liked Capaldi a lot so I'm excited for the rest of the series. I'm just so happy to have an older Doctor again. <3

I liked what I saw with Capaldi in this first episode. In some ways, he's a combination of Nine and Ten, with bits of Eleven tossed in. The only real difference is his age, but that adds a maturity to him that I like. He has the darkness of Nine, the sense that he's seen so much and is almost like a soldier. He has the manic manner of Ten combined with the gentle kindness of Ten and also Eleven, something that came out spectacularly in the final scene with Clara and the phone.

I like Strax, Lagie - he's such a stalwart!

Thank you herk - I knew someone would do a list! laugh.gif

The comments at the end of this are almost more interesting than the article! (Serious spoilers, so don't read if you haven't seen the episode.)

The comments at the end of this are almost more interesting than the article! (Serious spoilers, so don't read if you haven't seen the episode.)

Very interesting! It's good to see so many people watching and commenting, even if some were bad!