Completely Different

Doctor Who

Yes, there is a Dalek serving tea.

And I'm glad to see another person who enjoys Matt Smith FTW.

Matt Smith is brilliant, absolutely wonderful. Dark and subtle, why being mad-capped and random. I love it.

The fandom's just still going through the Doctor-denial phase, especially the rabid Ten fans. Everyone who's just started watching the show seems to love him, so I think its mostly baggage- give it another season and it should all be gone.

Matt Smith is brilliant, absolutely wonderful. Dark and subtle, why being mad-capped and random. I love it.

The fandom's just still going through the Doctor-denial phase, especially the rabid Ten fans. Everyone who's just started watching the show seems to love him, so I think its mostly baggage- give it another season and it should all be gone.

See, I *technically* started the series with Ten, and do find him to be better than Nine (though he had his moments, there were just some bits that never quite sat right), and I still find Eleven to be much more entertaining xd.png And I'm glad for it too, before now, my only knowledge of him was the Christmas special and those aren't exactly the best things to start off on... but nope, he's as insane and funny as he was there biggrin.gif

Also liking Amy (and what little I've seen of Rory so far), though she's turning out a mite... well, I can't quite say the word I'm thinking of. But hopefully she gets better. Also wondering how River will turn out... watched only a bit of Flesh and Stone before I had to sleep, and honestly, I'm not very impressed so far.

See, I *technically* started the series with Ten, and do find him to be better than Nine (though he had his moments, there were just some bits that never quite sat right), and I still find Eleven to be much more entertaining xd.png And I'm glad for it too, before now, my only knowledge of him was the Christmas special and those aren't exactly the best things to start off on... but nope, he's as insane and funny as he was there biggrin.gif

Also liking Amy (and what little I've seen of Rory so far), though she's turning out a mite... well, I can't quite say the word I'm thinking of. But hopefully she gets better. Also wondering how River will turn out... watched only a bit of Flesh and Stone before I had to sleep, and honestly, I'm not very impressed so far.

I don't mean just started in the sense of starting with season five, with Matt Smith as the new Doctor, but getting into the show in general. I only started watching in June, and was already accustomed to the idea of Smith being the Doctor (even though I started with Nine) so I didn't have that judgmental, getting used to phase that older fans must get.

As for the companions; Rory is brilliant, once we get more of him. Amy is awesome, but I think I know what you mean...flirtatious? Selfish? Er, yeah. Not sure the right word.

As for River, she's something of an acquired taste, at least for me.

I don't mean just started in the sense of starting with season five, with Matt Smith as the new Doctor, but getting into the show in general. I only started watching in June, and was already accustomed to the idea of Smith being the Doctor (even though I started with Nine) so I didn't have that judgmental, getting used to phase that older fans must get.

As for the companions; Rory is brilliant, once we get more of him. Amy is awesome, but I think I know what you mean...flirtatious? Selfish? Er, yeah. Not sure the right word.

As for River, she's something of an acquired taste, at least for me.

Mmm... I was thinking more along the lines of what Rose called Cassandra during The End of the World... save for the 'trampoline' bit. And I see xd.png Yeah, I guess it might be a bit hard on newer viewers (especially since Tennant stuck around for three seasons), but I think Smith is a fantastic follow up, really shows the progression from 'broken over the events of the Time War' to... ... bowties and fezzes?

Mmm... I was thinking more along the lines of what Rose called Cassandra during The End of the World... save for the 'trampoline' bit. And I see xd.png Yeah, I guess it might be a bit hard on newer viewers (especially since Tennant stuck around for three seasons), but I think Smith is a fantastic follow up, really shows the progression from 'broken over the events of the Time War' to... ... bowties and fezzes?

Oh, nice dodge. wink.gif

I see where you're coming from, I really do. Leaving your fiance before your wedding night is not cool, even if you have got a time-machine. I do think she gets better though. Yay, character development!

And speaking of character development, you're spot on about the Doctor. I think its a bit of a relief that he's getting over all that angst.

Oh, nice dodge. wink.gif

I see where you're coming from, I really do. Leaving your fiance before your wedding night is not cool, even if you have got a time-machine. I do think she gets better though. Yay, character development!

And speaking of character development, you're spot on about the Doctor. I think its a bit of a relief that he's getting over all that angst.

Yep x3

And all things- 'all things' mainly meaning killing off your own species, trying to kill off another species and continually finding the BBC won't let them die because they're too popular they manage to weasel out of death, and then all the insanity that continues to happen- considered, it was a good natural progression. Ten, while much happier and more outgoing than Nine, seems to come across as someone who has to force themselves to be happy in miserable circumstances, and it manages to fail quite a bit. Eleven is when they really can be happy again. (Also, entirely unrelated, but I'd like to mention that The Parting of the Ways had the best use of a deus ex machina- a literal one, even- I've ever seen, and proved that it can be done pretty well.)

And yeah x3 ... I'd just bring my fiance along, I wouldn't want to let them miss out on it all D: The whole of time and space, who wouldn't want to share it with someone they loved?

Amy just has a life-long fancy on the Doctor, that's all. Just wait until the Angels two-parter.

And Rory is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

/flees for possible spoilers

We watched "Midnight" instead of discussing the Weeping Angels since the supervising teacher was missing the second day and didn't want any spoilers ;p I keep forgetting how many scary episodes there are on Dr. Who.

Just finished 'The Big Bang' again. Brilliant.

I admit it, that I almost refused to accept eleven... mainly because I was being stubborn. I will now freely admit that while Tennent's Ten is still my fave, Matt Smith is doing a fine job as the doctor.

I had to make myself to give the new guy a chance... I ended up deciding he deserved THAT much at least for following such a tough act... wink.gif

I've only watched a couple episodes with him in them, so I can't really say. Part of my dislike is how he looks a bit emo to me. I don't even know, I think it's the hair and his paleness...

Soooo once upon a time (probably this past summer) I was channel flipping, saw an episode of Doctor Who was on, had been hearing so many good things I decided to give it a go. I wasn't impressed and figured it was a taste/genre thing.

I see a friend wearing a DW shirt, she's a huge fan, I tell her about what I saw and she gets srs and shoos me away to look up Blink or Midnight and then I can judge proper.

And I just got done watching Blink.

I am intrigued and might look at some more sometime. o3o

Blink is perhaps my favorite episode of the new series, although Partners in Crime definitely is a strong contender.

I still look suspiciously at statues of angels in the area...

'Blink' is widely regarded to be one of the best and will invariably be classed as a 'classic' Dr Who episode.

Welcome to the Dark Side Nix.

Got through Time of the Angels/Flesh and Stone last night, finished Vampires of Venice today.

Angel Bob creeped me right the hell out, I'm loving Amy (even if she is managing to be worse than Rose when it comes to boyfriend treatment), and Rory is great- hope we'll see more of him in series 6!

Also, I don't really like River. I don't hate her, but... well, it comes off as 'Shilling the Wesley' to me. She's had some good moments, and I probably do need to watch Silence in the Library to understand more, but so far... I just don't care for her too much. I think we'll see she was in prison for killing JFK come series 6, or something related to that, going from what she said, and what I've seen on rumors for series 6.

Also, I don't really like River. I don't hate her, but... well, it comes off as 'Shilling the Wesley' to me. She's had some good moments, and I probably do need to watch Silence in the Library to understand more, but so far... I just don't care for her too much. I think we'll see she was in prison for killing JFK come series 6, or something related to that, going from what she said, and what I've seen on rumors for series 6.

JFK? Why JFK in particular?

Honestly, I like River in Silence in the Library but really don't like her at all in the other shows she was in.

Edited by rubyshoes

JFK? Why JFK in particular?

She's killed 'a great man, one who was a hero to many' (or something like that). Obvious guess: The Doctor, but I'm just not buying that. Seeing rumors of JFK being involved in series 6 just led to that.

... don't ask for logic, it was two or three in the morning and I'd been in a car for about six hours.

Remember though she is supposed to be younger and probably harsher in series 5 - she's not even a professor at this point, so probably still close to whatever bad past she has. I do think she may even have been (at least a half-) bad guy at some point.

But then again

she made a fricking Dalek beg for mercy! That's badass, no matter how much you hate her.
Edited by Kestra15

Remember though she is supposed to be younger and probably harsher in series 5 - she's not even a professor at this point, so probably still close to whatever bad past she has. I do think she may even have been (at least a half-) bad guy at some point.

But then again

she made a fricking Dalek beg for mercy! That's badass, no matter how much you hate her.

Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand- no denying that's freaking awesome. On the other- the hell? Not even the Doctor himself, in eleven lifetimes, has managed to pull that off, and she manages to do it? That's just not fair.

I don't know. She's certainly interesting though, and by no means bad... and maybe the comparison to Ms. Frizzle will help x3.

On another note, I've gotten my best friend watching Doctor Who, she's gotten up to The Unquiet Dead and is loving it biggrin.gif

ETA: Just finished Vincent and the Doctor... it's been a while since I've legitimately cried from an episode, I'm surprised it took this long into the season.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Currently on 'The Pandorica Opens', and... waiting for Space to finish series 4, for some reason I don't want to watch it online. ... yet. Did enjoy what I was able to see of 'The Doctor's Daughter', I might need to re-watch it sometime.

I didn't like the musical montage at the end of 'Vincent.'

And to be fair while the Doctor doesn't make them beg, he does make them poo their metal pants. Bit of a difference there - the Doctor, after all, is merciful with his murder.

I didn't like the musical montage at the end of 'Vincent.'

And to be fair while the Doctor doesn't make them beg, he does make them poo their metal pants. Bit of a difference there - the Doctor, after all, is merciful with his murder.

Fair point. Doomsday made that clear... five million Cybermen are nothing, but a mention of the Doctor makes them flinch.

Speaking of Doomsday, I wonder if I can pile all of series 2 into one day, I want to do a bit of... character study on the Tenth Doctor, don't want to screw up too much this weekend.

(As to the musical montage... I honestly didn't notice, I've trained myself to tune them out unless it's a song I like xd.png)