Completely Different

Doctor Who

Anyone know any good sites where you can watch for free? I've been watching a few, but now I can't seem to find anymore.

]Join us, lightbird. Joiiinnnn ussssssssss.

Hm, I started watching the first episode of the newer series. I don't know, does it get better? My first impression was of it being very daft. And with very annoying music, judging from further episodes in the first season (sampled some bits). I didn't even finish the episode. :| But OK, this might not be everyone's cup of tea. Like, I know there are some shows that I like that start out... not so good, but I'm able to rewatch them from the beginning because I know how good they eventually get. /coughthexfilescough

Edited by lightbird

Yeah I was off-put by the first episode somewhat. You have to get used to it. Try flipping through some different episodes.

Hm, I started watching the first episode of the newer series. I don't know, does it get better? My first impression was of it being very daft. And with very annoying music, judging from further episodes in the first season (sampled some bits). I didn't even finish the episode. :| But OK, this might not be everyone's cup of tea. Like, I know there are some shows that I like that start out... not so good, but I'm able to rewatch them from the beginning because I know how good they eventually get. /coughthexfilescough

I never particuarly liked that episode, to be honest. I feel it was trying to fit too much into one episode, and it came off as campy. I almost got turned off it myself.

If you want some good episodes, I would recommend 'Blink', 'Smith and Jones' and maybe the 'Eleventh Hour'. The latter two are beginning of seasons as well, but I found they were better beginnings. And 'Blink' is simply epic.

@Rhea: I don't think you're going to find the Time-War in any of the old series. It happened completely off screen. sad.gif

Also, I want to ask whether the acting is so hyper further on, because that first episode was really... dunno, badly made, and I'm a picky watcher, ;v

Seriously? That sucks.

"The Empty Child" is also an excellent episode, as is its other half "The Doctor Dances".

It's always fairly hyper (lots of running), but it gets better.

Edited by RheaZen

I don't know, maybe when it comes to fantasy/sci-fi, I just generally prefer more srsface franchises (granted, they have to have SOME humor), so there's a possibility that I won't look much further into this... at least until I finish watching some sci-fi anime series that I started not long ago.

OK, last annoying question, is there a bigger story ark at some point in the series, or are those mostly separate stories?

Edited by lightbird

I don't know, maybe when it comes to fantasy/sci-fi, I just generally prefer more srsface franchises (with some humour granted), so there's a possibility that I won't look much further into this... at least until I finish watching some series that I started not long ago.

OK, last annoying question, is there a bigger story ark at some point in the series, or are those mostly separate stories?

There is a bigger story arch. For season five/season six especially, but there is an over-arching theme for each series.

If you like srsface stuff, yeah, this might not be for you- although it did get rather angsty at the end of Ten's run.

If it's Series one... my personal favorite was The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, absolutely beautiful. Loved the first episode, too, but it just got better as it went. Hell, the next one (The End of the World) was even better...

If it's Series one... my personal favorite was The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, absolutely beautiful. Loved the first episode, too, but it just got better as it went. Hell, the next one (The End of the World) was even better...

Really? I didn't like the End of the World that (Of course, I know most of the fandom doesn't agree with me on that point.) Loved 'The Unquiet Dead', though, and 'Dalek' is probably my most favourite use of that particular villain ever.

Really? I didn't like the End of the World that (Of course, I know most of the fandom doesn't agree with me on that point.) Loved 'The Unquiet Dead', though, and 'Dalek' is probably my most favourite use of that particular villain ever.

I loved Dalek... x3 Never seen a better instance of 'oh crap' than LEV-I-TATE...

And you're forgiven for disliking End of the World, I didn't much care for The Unquiet Dead xd.png

Edited by Dr. Paine

There is a bigger story arch. For season five/season six especially, but there is an over-arching theme for each series.

If you like srsface stuff, yeah, this might not be for you- although it did get rather angsty at the end of Ten's run.

Well, like I've mentioned before and elsewhere, I'm a longtime/hardcore fan of The X-Files where the interwoven story ark is very dark/angsty, pretty much grew up with that series :,D, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is an apocalypse story with Freudian undertones, so that might have shaped my general preferences. I *might* check into this later and/or in small doses, we'll see. x3

Edited by lightbird

Well, like I've mentioned before and elsewhere, I'm a longtime/hardcore fan of The X-Files{/i] where the interwoven story ark is very dark/angsty, pretty much grew up with that series :,D, and Neon Genesis Evangelion[/i], which is an apocalypse story with Freudian undertones, so that might have shaped my general preferences. I *might* check into this later and/or in small doses, we'll see. x3

Well- I've never watched the X-Files, its before my time. However, I am following the blog of a guy called Mark, who basically read/watches chapters/episodes a TV shows at a time, predicting what's going to happen and basically telling his opinion.

He's doing Doctor Who right now (currently end of Season 3) and has slowly descending down into Fan-boy-status. He is also a giant X-Phile and almost every other review mentions how it reminds him of a particular X-File episode, and loves how it reminds him of his old joy. It might just be his opinion, and I can't judge, but hey. My dad also loves the show 'cause it reminds him of old Star Trek.

I tried getting into X-Files... never really could xd.png Not a bad show, just not my cup of tea.

I'm honestly surprised by how much I've grown to love Doctor Who, especially since my first viewing, due to a few factors, failed to leave much of an impression (While interesting and worth following up on, an inconsistent schedule, being in the middle of a VERY confusing storyline- the Chameleon Arch is not something a new viewer should begin with-, and a general disinterest in sci-fi). But hey, it works.

Speaking of Human Nature, has anyone ever seen

I tried getting into X-Files... never really could xd.png Not a bad show, just not my cup of tea.

I'm honestly surprised by how much I've grown to love Doctor Who, especially since my first viewing, due to a few factors, failed to leave much of an impression (While interesting and worth following up on, an inconsistent schedule, being in the middle of a VERY confusing storyline- the Chameleon Arch is not something a new viewer should begin with-, and a general disinterest in sci-fi). But hey, it works.

Speaking of Human Nature, has anyone ever seen

"I HATE PEARS!" Love that semi-deleted scene. xd.png

I agree, the Human Nature Story Arch is not a good one to begin on, although its brilliant. Surprisingly that was the very first episode my mom every watched, and it got her hooked, even though she didn't know why she should want this dude's memory back.

"I HATE PEARS!" Love that semi-deleted scene. xd.png

I agree, the Human Nature Story Arch is not a good one to begin on, although its brilliant. Surprisingly that was the very first episode my mom every watched, and it got her hooked, even though she didn't know why she should want this dude's memory back.

Nice xd.png

And whoooo, my cheesy but fitting reserved Doctor Who related name might actually work on one of my Valentine dragons.

... maybe I can use the second one for Daleks. Or something. EXTERMINATOR OF LOVE?

... Dalek valentine cards. There's a thought for you.

They exterminate receivers upon being opened...

That could be... interesting.

Also, the image of pink Daleks with little hearts where the bumps are is kind of scary.

ETA: Oh god. I am horribly sleep deprived. And it's too late to really get more than a nap.

I might give myself nightmares biggrin.gif

Edited by Dr. Paine

Light, if you prefer something a little more serious I'd go with the new series with Matt Smith. There's still light-heartedness and silliness and humour, but on the whole it is a darker take on Dr Who, with a definitive over-arching story arc. With Tennant there is a story arc as such, but it's more hints for the viewers than an actual story arc.

Those would be seasons 5-6? I might look in to those a bit later.

When it comes to sci-fi/fantasy, a franchise must have an interesting overall plot (but interesting off-topic episodes in-between are liked, too), serious drama yet with some humor and memorable, well-developed characters for me to like it.

Edited by lightbird

Those would be seasons 5-6? I might look in to those a bit later.

When it comes to sci-fi/fantasy, a franchise must have an interesting overall plot (but interesting off-topic episodes in-between are liked, too), serious drama yet with some humor and memorable, well-developed characters for me to like it.

'Overall plot' might be a little thin... but otherwise, that's Doctor Who in a nutshell.

The word 'Dalek' got added to the Oxford English Dictionary for a reason...

Edited by Dr. Paine

How about this?: You know you are a Doctor Who fan if when you get a pair of reading glasses you refer to them as your "brainy specs". xd.png