Completely Different

Doctor Who

I will use the 11th Doctor's theme should I make a video about Everest.

The Eleventh Doctor's theme has a great power; to make anything, anything, sound one thousand times more epic.

...seriously, its gotten to the point where my sister and I hum along with it when it comes up in the episodes.

I will use the 11th Doctor's theme should I make a video about Everest.

I support this.

... and any applications of the 11th Doctor's theme. It's possibly one of the best examples of 'Instant awesome just add x'. Now, my question- if you add it to a scene from, say... Twilight, Eragon, and/or Night of the Lepus, will it make said movie better? Or taint the song?

Taint the song.

Matt Smith is going to reprise his role... already!

Matt Smith is going to reprise his role... already!

Hmm? What do you mean? Can you reprise the role if you haven't left yet?

I just watched Rise of the Cybermen and Age of Steel and I think they're a couple of my favourite episodes so far... It was interesting to see the parallel world and I cried a lot during them, which almost always means I love what I'm watching... I still need to watch the three episodes before those, though, and every one after...

ETA: Where I live, there are sound reverberations of the cars on the nearby highway and I swear, in the early mornings, it sounds like the TARDIS materialising. I often want to run outside to see if The Doctor is there...

Edited by nekoinu525

I was a child when it all first began with William Hartnell - they don't make 'em like that anymore!

Of course, my all-time favourites are the Daleks but if I was to pick from one of the newer series, I'd go for the "Don't blink!" Angels. To say it was Dr. Who, I did find those quite scary.

My youngest daughter is 19 and can't for the life of her understand mine and her dad's fascination with the programme.

I'm also miffed that with Matt they altered the music slightly again and took out the tardis from the opening title, replacing it with DW.

Why can't they leave things alone? mad.gif

I've only been watching Doctor Who for a couple of weeks, but I can already tell I'm going to love it-my bro started watching and he likes it too. My favorite doctor is probably the 11th, after all, the thing with the bowties and fezzes is too funny. (I like 10 and 9 too-they're all awesome!) Also, my favorite episodes were Flesh & Stone, The Big Bang, and School Reunion.

I find myself blinking in rapid sucession because once I tried not to blink it became 10x harder... Please forgive me sad.gif

(my favorite doctor is tennant because he really fits in his own insane but really epic way. I grew up with Rose Tyler and him so they earn the spotlight, fav episode is actually a series of episodes called- The War Games)

Hmm? What do you mean? Can you reprise the role if you haven't left yet?

Fact or fiction? It made its way onto wikipedia and the news. Anyway, there's been a hell load of speculation on Tardis wiki :s

I am in favour of the Toymaker returning xd.png

My brother laughed at the Angels... *sniffle

Let know that they will release new season 6 on April 23th on BBCAmerica after my birthday (21) cool is it huh? would be good episodes this year? unsure.gif Does you guys think of this season. smile.gif

LOL.

*let's all sue BBC wheee~!

According to The Guardian, Douglas Adams, the late author of The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, will have his Dr. Who epic novelization “Shada” published next year. Finally! He wrote the tome back in 1979, while his opus was airing as a radio show.

More good news: the book will also be turned into a project for the BBC by well known Dr. Who scriptwriter, Gareth Roberts.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/dou...ctor_who_story/

Hmm, Shada, wasn't that the one that Adams used as his basis for 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'? I remember reading it and thing "wow, this character sounds exactly like a Time-Lord" which was because in the original script, he was. Either way, I love Adams' work, and Gareth Roberts is a good Who writer- his episodes are always funny, which is what you'll need for this, I suspect.

Didn't Douglas Adams even write the Ten saving the world in his pjs on Christmas as well? xd.png

Didn't Douglas Adams even write the Ten saving the world in his pjs on Christmas as well? xd.png

'Fraid not, I believe he had already passed away by then. (Of course, knowing Douglas Adams, coming back from the grave wouldn't be unfitting). Russel T. Davies is obviously a fan, though, because he made a direct reference to Arthur Dent in that episode. Those references are kind of peppered throughout the show, actually, since I think Adams did a lot of writing and show-running for DW before he became famous for the Guide.

Figured this was a good place to ask C:

I usually give shows about half a dozen episodes before I either give up or watch the whole damn thing. Doctor Who's been on my list of stuff-I-ought-to-have-seen for a while, but I haven't tried yet because I just didn't know how/where to start. Which episodes do you guys think are maybe not the best, but the most representative episodes that show off all the main characters as their usual selves and carry the most "flavor"?

Background: I can read recaps to skip around if needed, I watched most of Torchwood, and I've read a lot of crossover fic of Doctor Who x pretty much everything I've ever watched. >> The Doctors really get around.

Start at tennant for one of my favorite doctors, and make sure to watch the seasons with Rose Tyler so you get the best companion

Figured this was a good place to ask C:

I usually give shows about half a dozen episodes before I either give up or watch the whole damn thing. Doctor Who's been on my list of stuff-I-ought-to-have-seen for a while, but I haven't tried yet because I just didn't know how/where to start. Which episodes do you guys think are maybe not the best, but the most representative episodes that show off all the main characters as their usual selves and carry the most "flavor"?

Background: I can read recaps to skip around if needed, I watched most of Torchwood, and I've read a lot of crossover fic of Doctor Who x pretty much everything I've ever watched. >> The Doctors really get around.

Well, you're going to get seriously conflicting ideas about which episodes, Doctors, companions, etc are the best, so I'll recommend what I think are the best one-offs of the new series (they're easier to find). They are in my opinion, some of the best for varying reason, but have also been chosen because you won't need large amounts of context, won't need to know the characters, and won't find yourself spoiled for major plot threads.

Blink: Tenth Doctor, Season Three:

Normal Sally Sparrow finds a message left to her from 1969, urging her to 'beware the weeping angels'. Then her best friend disappears...

Vincent and the Doctor: Eleventh Doctor, Season 5:

Noticing a strange message in one of Vincent Van Gogh's paintings, the Doctor and his companion Amy travel back in time to defeat a monster living in the painter's village. Its easier said then done, for they find themselves trying to help a man suffering from isolation and depression.

Father's Day: Ninth Doctor, Season 1:

The Doctor's companion Rose asks to go back to the day her father died, if only just to watch. But unable to help herself, she saves his life, and our two heroes watch as time unravels around them.

The Waters of Mars: Tenth Doctor, stand-alone-special:

The Doctor lands on Mars, and finds himself among the first human visitors on the planet- however, the Doctor's knowledge of the future means he knows that something very, very bad is destined to happen to the crew, and the Doctor realises that the laws of time forbid him from preventing it.

Midnight: Tenth Doctor, season 4

At a futuristic space-spa, the Doctor leaves his companion behind as he goes on a tour to the sapphire water-falls. But there's something else on the ship, something that can't move or speak...until it steals your voice.

The Eleventh Hour: Eleventh Doctor, Season 5

A newly regenerated Doctor lands in the back yard of young Amelia Pond, where he investigates a crack in time and space. Still coping with confusion, disorientation, and malfunctioning technology, the Doctor finds himself in a battle of wits to save the Earth.

Edit:

Also, if you've watched Torchwood, you might like to watch the two parter 'The Empty Child'/'The Doctor Dances', from season 1, which is Captain Jack Harkness's first introduction to the show. The Doctor and Rose travel back to the London Blitz where a strange child in a gas mask stalks the streets, only to find another charming time-traveler to be there.

Edited by Completely Different

Yeah the Empty Child/Waters of Mars was intensely High Octane Nightmare fuelish for me. I love Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords (so biased for Harold Saxon! And as a plus, Jack's reaction IS SO AMUSING :3) What really topped of Waters of Mars for me was the Doctor acting like the Master :3

Well, you're going to get seriously conflicting ideas abour whuch episodes, Doctors, companions, etc are the best, so I'll recommend what I think are the best one-offs of the new series (they're easier to find). They are in my opinion, some of the best for varying reason, but have also been chosen because you won't need large amounts of context, won't need to know the characters, and won't find yourself spoiled for major plot threads.

Which is exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much! It looks like you put quite a bit of thought into the recommendations :3