I thought that was just beef. Sorry if I'm wrong. I'm not very familiar with Hinduism.

Same, and that the higher the kasta of the believer, the stricter the diet. I remember reading a loooong time ago that for the Brahman forbidden foods are all meats, eggs, mushrooms, head-shaped vegetables... I may be wrong, though.

I don't see how anyone can give up bacon and steak. I might would understand if you were brought up a vegetarian, and didn't know what you were missing, but that usually isn't the case.

I hate steak with a passion. It was pure misery when I was younger and had to eat it sometimes because my parents made it. It always took me forever to eat because it was just so dreadful.

I'm just not a meat eater. I don't like the taste, I hate the texture. I can't eat a big chunk of meat without wanting to throw up. Hence why I don't eat meat. I can't think of any meal with meat that I might miss that I can't make just as well or better without meat.

I don't think there's anything wrong with other people eating meat, though. Though I do think responsible consumerism is important.

Same, and that the higher the kasta of the believer, the stricter the diet. I remember reading a loooong time ago that for the Brahman forbidden foods are all meats, eggs, mushrooms, head-shaped vegetables... I may be wrong, though.

exactly , i am a brahman ... and we are not allowed to eat meat , and we dont eat eggs as well ... well , this custom apparantly has no meaning in the real practical world , but we still respect religion and follow it ..its all about believing rather than superstition

exactly , i am a brahman ... and we are not allowed to eat meat , and we dont eat eggs as well ... well , this custom apparantly has no meaning in the real practical world , but we still respect religion and follow it ..its all about believing rather than superstition

By the way, would you be curious to go talk on the Religion thread? I don't think we've had a Hinduist there in a looong time.

'K, I'll have to check on the Brahman diets. /has just started reading a book on Hindu thinking/philosophy

Edited by lightbird

I agree with the majority of people here, I eat meat because I need the protein and other nutrients and it tastes good. I do feel bad for animals that are raised to die to provide for the meat humans eat, though. Still, I understand that everything dies in one way or another, and the way that the animals died are just different from the usual ways that it would have died.

Oh. Uh, now my point seems really irrelevant because I posted it way after I originally began typing it (I kind of got distracted for several hours... so...)

Edited by zephyr_123

I think the deal with Hinduism is because they believe in reincarnation, which can ultimately turn you into an animal. So eating one would be cannibalism or something. I may be wrong.

Like I said, I gave up all red meat, but there is no resisting bacon.

I understand the religious reasons though.

Isn't it with Jewish people you can only eat like... the front quarters of things, and certain animals you don't eat

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

This is not the funny images thread. Cut it out guys.

We are designed to eat meat. It is part of the diet that was intended for us and there are few other things that can give us the proper vitamins

I'll eat meat, but I really prefer to eat free-range stuff. Animals in the wild eat other animals; it's just a way of life. I actually don't like steak very much, and I refuse to eat things like lobster or veal.

I mean, lobsters. You freaking boil them alive and hear them screaming. That's just sick.

I love meat, but don't like the fact that they kill animals.

The way I see it, if i go vegetarian, it won't make any difference at all. There will still be people who eat nothing but meat. Even if everyone stopped eating meat, people would still slaughter cows anyways for their hide. So I might as well get my protein.

I refrain from eating veal, though. That's just cruel.

(on lobsters)

they don't actually scream, it's air escaping through the exoskeleton.

And they die instantly as they are a cold blooded animal, the sudden change in extreme temperature sets their body into instant shock and instantaneous death.

Basically there's no pain as long as you properly cook them right (that is, boil the water first to the temperature that will cook them, and not leave them in the water as you boil it)

It's no different than how people eat clams, oysters, ect. (fresh at least)

Personally it's more humane than what they do to some of the animals in plants...

Oh trust me, I know.

I'd just rather not kill any of them myself...

Except fish, but my gut still churns when i have to clean them...

Mmmmmmnomnom. Meat.

I absolutely LOVE steak. As rare as it can get without poisoning me.

Shrimp is a close second. I absolutely LOVE shrimp, not giving that up.

Bacon's somewhere up there, too, because it can and will clog up your arteries with pure awesome.

And what type of person doesn't like chicken, turkey, and hotdogs?

I don't really like anything else though. :/ All other seafoods smell TERRIBLE and I can't get them near my mouth. Meatloaf is disgusting, along with pork and ribs. Bologna and other lunch meats are too plain. Never tried lamb or venison, or anything else, really.

Mmmmmmnomnom. Meat.

Shrimp is first. I absolutely LOVE shrimp, not giving that up.

Bacon's somewhere up there, too, because it can and will clog up your arteries with pure awesome.

I don't really like anything else though. :/ All other seafoods smell TERRIBLE and I can't get them near my mouth. Meatloaf is disgusting, along with pork and ribs. Bologna and other lunch meats are too plain. Never tried lamb or venison, or anything else, really.

Edited for my likes!

Meat disgusts me, it always has. I don't care how it's made, it's the smell and the taste that make me sick. Even when I was a toddler and didn't know that animals were killed to make it, I still didn't eat it. I love milk and eggs though.

Mmmmmmnomnom. Meat.

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE RIBS!!!!!!!

Ribs are juicy, delicious, tender, delicious, mouth watering, delicious, can't wait to put it in your mouth, oh did I mention DELICIOUS????!!!!

I mean all parts that come from a cow are good, shoot I even like tripe which is cow intestine or stomach linings, but ribs are the best. Specially prime rib *mouth waters and drools*

Meatloaf=Ground beef+Crackers or something of the sort+Various spices

Add ketchup to taste

Pork is good to but after bacon is my second least favorite of meats.

lamb is I would say very greesy tasting but very good nonetheless.

Unless you get the beef dogs or turkey dogs or any specific meat dogs. all hotdogs are just the leftover scraps of meat from all the animals. Same with bologna. So bologna=hotdogs for sandwiches.

I'll eat meat, but I really prefer to eat free-range stuff. Animals in the wild eat other animals; it's just a way of life. I actually don't like steak very much, and I refuse to eat things like lobster or veal.

I mean, lobsters. You freaking boil them alive and hear them screaming. That's just sick.

That's the ONE thing i don't like about seafood restaurants. You can SEE them DISPLAYED in their tanks with their claws rubberbanded shut. I don't like that. not one bit. i also highly dislike the thought of just tossing them in boiling water when they're still alive, even if it kills them instantly. Kill it FIRST, them boil the poor thing.

I love steak and bacon. *is now hungry* But, I like only really good organic steak. The regular, non-organic stuff tastes like c*** and is stringy, too fatty, thin, and rather difficult to chew....

I don't exactly enjoy the idea of destroying a life to sustain my own, but whose do I value more? Yeah, My own life...

I need to eat to live, it's just the way I am, and it's the way you are. No one can change that. I truely wish we could live in a world where no animal needed to die to turn into food, but that reality isn't going to go away any time soon. Animals eat animals, it's a fact of life we cannot change. Countless beings are born each day, and countless more will die because animals need to eat. Non-stop chain of life to death.

I don't see much difference between eating animals and plants, either. Plants are alive, too. No one really looks at it that way, they don't have a face and they don't move the way we do, but they are living things that are killed for food.

I don't like that things have to die so I can live, but I want to live just as much as everything else, so I'll take eating over dying, too.

What difference does it make to kill the lobster first rather than killing it instantaneously by boiling it?

With the shell, you'd have to bash the lobster in with a rock, or leave it to slowly die from lack of water.

Personally I think it's more humane just to kill them by boiling and get it over with.

But I agree, I hate seeing the tanks in seafood restaurants. they aren't meant to live like that.

At least the wild caught ones have regulations and get to do wild lobster things.

Speaking of cruelty of food before you eat it.

Killer whales:

(nat. geo video that contains all non-human animal violence)

there's a lot worse we could be doing (in some ways) to our food before eating it.

Speaking of cruelty of food before you eat it.

Killer whales:

(nat. geo video that contains all non-human animal violence)

there's a lot worse we could be doing (in some ways) to our food before eating it.

And that proves that intelligence brings violence.

Mmmmmmnomnom. Meat.

...I am OBSESSED with ribs. I can't think of life without them xP