Zeekaice

Meat

Also, I know that humans were evolved to be omnivores, but if it's possible to not eat meat, then why not be a vegetarian?

This is an interesting statement but it's not one that I really agree with. Basically what is being said here is, "We have the capability to obtain food from many different resources, but it is possible for us to survive on only a few resources, so why not do that?" This effectively puts the unused resources - meat - to waste. Cows are going to be killed whether you eat them or not.

I know a number of people who are vegetarians because they like knowing where their food comes from or for various health reasons, which I can understand. I do not understand the "save the animals" vegetarianism and think it stems from misinformation and an overblown sense of significance. To quote Futurama (of all things): "You're vegetarians, who cares what you do?"

Going back to this statement, I have a friend who was a vegetarian for several years but was forced to quit because he needed to eat meat in order to be a competitive track runner. For a human body to function at maximum potential, it needs various nutrients that supplements can mirror but meat can authentically provide.

I personally have no problem with meat. In fact, I think that (properly cooked) it tastes very good.

Well, I eat meat all the time-I love it. But a good amount of characters in my books are vegetarians, so I allow myself to think like a vegetarian.

I agree, TLOS and Dragonwing, meat is GOO-O-D!!!...

I used to raise chickens, rabbits and ducks and turkeys when I was a kid. I butchered them, dressed them and sold or ate them. They were there for me to eat and I did and yes some had names but when they got older, chop!

I am an avid member of PETA... (People Eating Tasty Animals) and I have the bumper sticker to prove it... laugh.gif

Edited by Husky51

"the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out... " old childs song...

Just think of it this way. If no one ate meat and every one was a vegetarian wouldn't there be too many animals? I think the human population would be overrun! That's just my opinion though.

Just think of it this way. If no one ate meat and every one was a vegetarian wouldn't there be too many animals? I think the human population would be overrun! That's just my opinion though.

You have to remember that the reason there are so many cows, pigs, chickens, etc., is because we bred them to meet the demand.

I personally want to cut meat out of my diet (I only eat poultry and fish now.) for the simple reason that thinking of it being a once living animal makes me feel a bit ill (and guilty). I understand that the animals will die either way, but mentally getting past the fact that I'm putting that animal into my mouth and chewing it (etc etc) makes me feel icky and sad and stuff.

I've cut out milk (for some superficial reason that had ties back to 7th grade lunchtime... not milk products, just milk itself), pork, and red meats ENTIRELY, so it feels right to stop eating poultry and fish as well. I have no problem with eggs as long as they are from properly treated chickens (free range tastes better, imho), and I've seen too many trout prepared fresh right in front of me to feel comfortable eating them any longer.

Still, we were made to eat both flesh and plant material. I think that we are smart enough to make our own decisions, so we should be in our rights to choose whether we want to eat one or the other, or both. There are ways to be healthy with each choice, just as there was ways to be unhealthy with each choice.

Aside: PETA is crazy. Sure, they gave me the first idea to stop eating meat, but that was a long time ago. Now, I've found my own reasons that have nothing to do with PETA why I don't want to eat animals. Whereas I don't do it more for my own personal feelings, those people are extremists who resort to fear mongering and shock to get their points across. If you're gonna be a vegetarian just to save the animals from horrible treatment you saw on the PETA website, please consider getting your info from more trustworthy sources.

I commend you Mints. Sane vegetarians/vegans can be hard to come by.

/had a recent run-in with some crazies

Edited by RheaZen

I commend you Mints. Sane vegetarians/vegans can be hard to come by.

Agreed.

I'm not a vegetarian/vegan but I respect people who are (unless they're absolute nutballs, of course, but thankfully none of my vegetarian friends are). I can see reason behind wanting to cut meat out of one's diet - I, however, probably never will.

Tasty, tasty meat. Oh how I love thee.

I'm practically a carnivore.

I don't get vegetarians (I respect their opinion, of course, but I just don't understand it). We humans are omnivores. We were meant to eat meat. It's not wrong or evil, it's just natural for us.

Edited by SPQR

"the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out... " old childs song...

"The worms play pinichole-" oh dear heaven, I'm going to have nightmares x.x I forgot about those damn books...

I love fish, I like chicken, I don't mind meat, but I don't eat pork very often.

Still, they're not my main diet. I eat a variety of things like vegetables, grains and fruits too.

I have no problem with eating meat or not eating meat and such,I love meat.(Especially ribs!*Drools*)But I do have a problem about how meat is raised,like how pigs are raised.I mean,how would you like it if you lived your entire life in a metal cage that you can't even turn around in.Not much I bet.

You have to remember that the reason there are so many cows, pigs, chickens, etc., is because we bred them to meet the demand.

It depends on the animal. Pigs breed plenty well on their own, we already have a really bad feral pig problem, with them breeding faster than people can get rid of them. Pigs go feral incredibly quickly, showing wild traits within the lifetime of an escaped/released pig.

Edited by Nectaris

I don't like the idea of specifically growing animals to later kill them for meat, especially if they are kept in conditions where they aren't free, but I love the meat, and it's still, for many species, the natural way of ensuring survival.

I don't like the idea of specifically growing animals to later kill them for meat, especially if they are kept in conditions where they aren't free, but I love the meat, and it's still, for many species, the natural way of ensuring survival.

Also this. I may love meat, but I hate the way animals are kept in poor conditions, only to be turned into hamburgers.

[checks the time left on her St. Louis ribs]

…Sorry, what?

wink.gif

To be fair, I'm doing roast corn and sauteed squash as well. And I just nommed an orange.

I forever can never resist sushi and steamed/roasted chicken with rice/pasta/noodles/etc...

I just love fish a lot, especially the fish head (eyes and brains are delicious :3).

=====

But seriously, I think animals that are given a lot of freedom is much better than those inside factories because of the living condition and whatever those animals have been feeding on... loads of hormones and some other chemicals... ._.

I cant live without meat. I just cant.

I love animals, i wont eat anything i know is endagered or i love. But ile eat cow's, pigs ect.

I wanna try squid. xd.png

-Ra

I cant live without meat. I just cant.

I love animals, i wont eat anything i know is endagered or i love. But ile eat cow's, pigs ect.

I wanna try squid. XD

-Ra

Squid is quite nice! Calamari is fantastic! :D

Oh man, now I have this huge craving for squid. Gah...

Unflavored squid + hoisin(sp?) sauce = yum.