Zeekaice

Meat

We've since evolved from eating plants and shrubs to eating meat and vegetables. I think it's perfectly fine to eat meat but reasonable meat. O__o Like cows, chickens, fish, stuff like that. Eating other things like cats, dogs, and the like really freak me out.

We've since evolved from eating plants and shrubs to eating meat and vegetables. I think it's perfectly fine to eat meat but reasonable meat. O__o Like cows, chickens, fish, stuff like that. Eating other things like cats, dogs, and the like really freak me out.

Why (aside from the whole association of them usually being pets)? Meat is meat. Dogs and cats that are used for meat are specifically raised for that, you're not taking away some little kid's puppy or anything.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Why (aside from the whole association of them usually being pets)? Meat is meat. Dogs and cats that are used for meat are specifically raised for that, you're not taking away some little kid's puppy or anything.

Meat is meat, but not all meat is the same. Isn't it true that carnivore meat is nutritionally different than herbivore meat? (Different is not bad, please understand.)

Meat is meat, but not all meat is the same. Isn't it true that carnivore meat is nutritionally different than herbivore meat? (Different is not bad, please understand.)

Meat is different from plants in nutrition. The body was not made to not eat meat and only eat plants. You get nutrients from meat that you cannot get anywhere else in proper amounts (even from substitutions). For example, protein.

Now, the processed meat that you get nowadays isn't really the kind of meat we were meant to be eating. McDonald's meat is not the same. It contains a lot of artificial things that the body wasn't meant to have either.

No.

You stole the words from my mouth. /disturbed

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. >_<

Meat is different from plants in nutrition. The body was not made to not eat meat and only eat plants. You get nutrients from meat that you cannot get anywhere else in proper amounts (even from substitutions). For example, protein.

Er...yes, this is all true. I was referring to the nutritional differences I had heard about between the meat of herbivores (i.e. cows) and the meat of carnivores (i.e. dogs). So if I, an omnivore, were to eat the meat of a well-fed cow, it would have different nutrition than the meat of a well-fed dog. At least, this is what I have heard. Ergo, meat is meat, but not all meat is the same.

I'll have Springbok sometime this week. Awesome.

I'm going to ignore the link that was posted above because, ew. I don't want to think about it anymore.

My thoughts on eating meat? OMNOMNOM, BRING IT!

Steak is one of my favorite things in the world. Also, hotdogs, but I'm not sure that counts as meat. Chicken is a staple in my diet...I'd probably have died a long time ago without it because of my picky eating habits.

So, yes, OMNOMNOM.

I wouldn't eat dog/cat, but less because I think anything about the actual food product and more because it would haunt me. THOSE POOR PUPPIES sad.gif I mean, I'm not inclined to cuddle cows, pigs, and chickens. (Actually, chickens sort of freak me out)

Edited by FireAngel73

I love animals, and I used to love meat. Until one day I realized that that juicy hamburger I was craving was a cow. I realized it used to be a living, breathing, thinking animal. I realized it had a family, a mother, a father, maybe children. I realized how much pain it was caused when it was slaughtered. All that thought caused me to be a vegetarian, it's up to people what they eat, but I think most people don't take time to think that that hot dog was once a pig.

Also, I know that humans were evolved to be omnivores, but if it's possible to not eat meat, then why not be a vegetarian?

Another thing, I have only been a vegetarian for 11 months, and people tell me it's just a "teenage girl phase", but I don't think they realize how serious I am about being a vegetarian, and saving many animals lives.

Also some facts, 80% of agricultural land in america is used to feed animals used for slaughter and 50% of water in America is used to water that food that feeds the animals used for slaughter.

Okay that's my rant about being a vegetarian.

Another thing, I have only been a vegetarian for 11 months, and people tell me it's just a "teenage girl phase", but I don't think they realize how serious I am about being a vegetarian, and saving many animals lives.

This is something I've never understood. I think it's great that you can give up meat because you don't want to be a part of the process, but giving up meat isn't going to save the animals. That cow is still dead, but now either the meat goes to waste and the cow died for nothing, or someone else buys it and eats it. No lives saved there.

I understand the theory that if enough people give up meat, demand will be so low that it will no longer be profitable to kill/process animals...but honestly? That isn't going to happen. I will never give up meat, and many (if not most) people agree.

I understand the theory that if enough people give up meat, demand will be so low that it will no longer be profitable to kill/process animals...but honestly? That isn't going to happen.

Here's the thing, I think that it's entirely possible for that to happen, so yes I may not be currently saving animal's lives, but I believe that in the long run, I am helping.

All that thought caused me to be a vegetarian, it's up to people what they eat, but I think most people don't take time to think that that hot dog was once a pig.

Also, I know that humans were evolved to be omnivores, but if it's possible to not eat meat, then why not be a vegetarian?

I find that I do not like the taste/texture of many vegetables. Sometimes my gag reflex gets set off just trying to eat them. I am personally having to find ways to sneak them into my diet because I know that they are important to a balanced diet. I just don't see how I would enjoy a vegetarian lifestyle (and I cannot even imagine myself as a vegan).

I have nothing against vegetarians or vegans as long as they do not try to shove their diet down my throat (so to speak). For those that don't eat meat, I do not think they should be harassed about that. If they enjoy their (I hope balanced) diets, then I applaud them. I just don't want to be harassed about being a "murderer" and told that I must force myself to eat what I do not generally like. They can worry about their diets and I will work on mine. I recently found out that fruit smoothies are great with spinach or a little broccoli, but that chicken sandwich I had today was very tasty too.

Here's the thing, I think that it's entirely possible for that to happen, so yes I may not be currently saving animal's lives, but I believe that in the long run, I am helping.

Even if people stopped eating meat, which is highly unlikely(I know I sure won't), there will still be the pet food industry. I know some have had success with dogs, but cats cannot be vegetarian, so there will always be a meat industry for them.

I love animals, and I used to love meat. Until one day I realized that that juicy hamburger I was craving was a cow. I realized it used to be a living, breathing, thinking animal. I realized it had a family, a mother, a father, maybe children. I realized how much pain it was caused when it was slaughtered. All that thought caused me to be a vegetarian, it's up to people what they eat, but I think most people don't take time to think that that hot dog was once a pig.

Also some facts, 80% of agricultural land in america is used to feed animals used for slaughter and 50% of water in America is used to water that food that feeds the animals used for slaughter.

Okay that's my rant about being a vegetarian.

Do you have milk or cheese?

^or eggs

I know some have had success with dogs, but cats cannot be vegetarian, so there will always be a meat industry for them.

That could be true, but cats are natural hunters, if people just let their cats outside to hunt and eat they would be most likely be fine, and they wouldn't need any factory made pet food.

Edited by willapigfly

Ahahaha, nooooo. I am not letting my cats out to "hunt". Do you see how scrawny the stray cats are? Outdoor cats die at very young ages. I am not risking my pet's life in order to stop feeding them food specifically manufactured for them.

Ahahaha, nooooo. I am not letting my cats out to "hunt". Do you see how scrawny the stray cats are? Outdoor cats die at very young ages. I am not risking my pet's life in order to stop feeding them food specifically manufactured for them.

You can do that, but my neighbors have a cat that is perfectly healthy and lives, hunts, and eats outside. Just saying. Maybe it's just a special ninja cat or something...

I totally understand that you care for your cats, and I respect that. I also wanted to say that cats are natural meat eaters so I find it okay that they eat meat, although I wish it wasn't that way. Humans have a choice, and cats don't.

Well, I love meat. But I try not to eat Pork. It just goes against my morals. Pigs are too intelligent to factory farm.

Other than that, I try and to limit my intake of Beef. I see nothing wrong with eating chicken, game, other fowls, or GRASS FED BEEF. Grain fed beef is just too unhealthy.