Zeekaice

Meat

Let's see... have different meats and cuts of meat been discussed/listed yet?

Lamb, pork, beef, chicken, duck, alligator, ostrich, and frog are a few that come to mind. I don't know anything about cuts.

Steak and bacon are the only kinds of meat. The others are just pretenders to the throne.

Edited by Kestra15

I have eaten God.

I have eaten god

and god tastes good.

My grandpa can't cook. He tries, but it turns out ewww.

That's how my grandma is. She can "cook," in that she has recipes and can prepare them, but apparently she's terrible at it.

I have eaten God.

So Rhea is the new god? Some kind of Cthullu monster? Especially if she ate kalamari...

Edited by Dr. Paine

I have eaten God.

And yet, I made God.

So Rhea is the new god? Some kind of Cthullu monster?

RHEA IS DEVOURER OF WORLDSSSSSS

I've not made God, but now that I remember I actually have eaten two Gods. From the same place. Mmmm... *drools*

Damn I'm hungry.

RHEA IS DEVOURER OF WORLDSSSSSS

I've not made God, but now that I remember I actually have eaten two Gods. From the same place. Mmmm... *drools*

Damn I'm hungry.

With Brie?

Guys, please stay on topic.

A great deal of people (typically within the age of 15 to 24) Don't know how to cook. Part of the reason is because families have been dependent on instameals for so long. I mean, I don't really know how to cook a wide range of things, but at least I know the basic rules about handling food. Couldn't get my food handlers card without knowing the basics. And at least I know how to use an electric skillet and a crockpot.

Pretty much what I wanted to say last night (but didn't because I decided sleep was more important than DC... stupid me).

Most families here depend on a mixture between take-home, fast-food, order-in and microwave/frozen meals. My family depends somewhat on those, but we usually have 3 meals during the week where we cook out ourselves (I cook two of the three meals usually), and on weekends, unless we have plans to do something, we cook food for the weekend (roasts, steaks, etc.).

Most of my cooking skills I learned from my mom, however, I took a culinary class during my senior year, and I learned how to cook a lot of different veggies, how to make pasta, bread ("fancy" (not really) bread, that is), egg rolls (can't stand frozen ones anymore), COMPLETELY homemade pizza (including making mozzarella from whey and crushing tomatoes), meatloaf (I ****ing LOVE meatloaf now... too bad mom still hates it... :/) and fish (it was good, but I still don't like fish much... tongue.gif). The list really goes on, but these were the most mundane examples I could thing of. In addition, I learned how to spice food better without needing to resort to over salting or the "old faithful" (butter) to make it taste good. Also, I finally learned to love mustard (having finally found a mustard that WORKS for me).

My favorite spices/herbs now are oregano, cumin, thyme, and cayenne pepper (I put a dash in about everything).

And the only training I got to do all of this is what I would normally receive if working for a restaurant (technically the class WAS a restaurant, we made lunch for the teachers every Friday), which I think is where most people learn how to cook nowadays (though, I don't think working at Pizza Hut will give you knowledge of how to cook a steak).

As for people suggesting that schools teach kids to cook, food is fairly expensive, especially red meat which is the thing that kids need to learn to cook the most (well, that and poultry and eggs). Besides, would you trust half of the kids in public school systems in America with ovens, stoves, pots of boiling water, raw eggs, raw meat, gallons of milk (as in leaving it out... which happened in our culinary class of 8 no less (when they were nationally certified)), and most importantly KNIVES (which is the MAJOR point of contention for schools around here, our teacher had to sign a contract that he'd account for EVERY knife at all times)?

I've tried to bring some of what I learned home, especially to my dad who leaves food out for hours and then decides to eat it (ick) and who thinks that using the same plate that RAW STEAKS were on before should be used to carry the cooked steaks back in. Mom on the other-hand still has yet to grasp that raw meat should be on the bottom of the fridge and freezer, this way if it leaks, it doesn't leak down on the veggies, cheese, breads, drinks, etc.

-K-

meatloaf (I ****ing LOVE meatloaf now... too bad mom still hates it... :/)

ME GUSTA MEATLOAF.

As long as it's not too dry.

That is all. xd.png

Meatloaf is good. I don't see why people hate it.

I hate it cause of a traumatizing experience with it, my dad's girlfriend tried making it and it had a huge white thing in it. : ( freaked me out a bunch! Thats why I try to stay away from it.

All the meatloaf I ever had was made with ground beef and never had white chunk in the middle. Though I suspect it was something edible.

It can easily be ruined, that's why. Meatloaf doesn't usually have a general recipe, it's basically what meat and spices you have on hand (and for some awesome people, veggies). In my family (which is about 1/8th Italian (though Italian cooking dominates)), meatloaf is basically a giant loaf shaped meatball, which means the heaping helping of fennel seeds (the spice that gioves italian sausage its distinct flavor) is always added. I like fennel in moderation, but unfortunately fennel has gone the way of oregano and sugar where "you can never have enough", and the overbearing taste turns me away.

The meatloaf I like is more American, using carrots, green peppers, onions, sliced olives, a mix of ground pork and beef, panko bread crumbs (NOT corn flakes... too much crunch if done wrong (and it often is)), Parmesan cheese, and the ketchup/tomato sauce used is a blend of ketchup and balsamic vinegar, which gives it a nice bitter bite. The entire thing is awesome, and rather than being a homogenized tube of meat (like SPAM), the flavor and texture is varied.

gotta love meatloaf...

I'm already missing making stews and white chili... They're so time-intensive that I usually can only make them during the summer... but after they cook all day in the crockpot... Ugh... I want them so badly...

-K-

The meatloaf I like is more American, using carrots, green peppers, onions, sliced olives, a mix of ground pork and beef, panko bread crumbs (NOT corn flakes... too much crunch if done wrong (and it often is)), Parmesan cheese, and the ketchup/tomato sauce used is a blend of ketchup and balsamic vinegar, which gives it a nice bitter bite.

You broke my brain. D:< That's way complicated. I'm used to just seeing ground beef mixed with some celery and onions and topped with ketchup.

I hate onions in any way, but I'll tolerate them in meatloaf.

I hate it cause of a traumatizing experience with it, my dad's girlfriend tried making it and it had a huge white thing in it.  : ( freaked me out a bunch! Thats why I try to stay away from it.

It might have been egg white that hadn't been incorporated into the meat well... I've seen people do that and it's basically like having a fried egg in between burgers...

It's not terrible, but it's not meatloaf.

And Nix, it's way delicious though... It's better than how most restaurants make it...

plus, the way we got to check and make sure it was seasoned and flavored correctly (you can't take a piece and eat it, since it's raw meat and eggs, and you can't hope for the best when you have a 30 lb. blob of meatloaf in a container (that we eventually made into about 12 loaves)) was that we took pieces off of it and made burgers... best burger I've EVER had.

The only raw onions I like are red onions in salads, and that's only if the dressing compliments them well (Caesar, Italian, balsamic honey mustard, and blueberry (oh yeah) all of which I know how to make (Caesar's a pain though)). Cooked onions I like only when paired with meat, rice, or in a sauce. I've had onionbread before... not a big fan...

Also, I can't stand Funyuns... but they don't really taste like onions, so... *shrugs*

-K-

Edited by Kamak