darkangel787

Eragon vs Twilight?

Which is better: Eragon or Twilight?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I actually really liked the twilight series until the movie came out, i read all of the books.

however, i didn't finish the eragon book :3 lol

i might re-attempt to

Eragon.

I read it 1 year and 3 months ago(when 5th grade was about to end) for easy AR points(AR is the stupidest thing ever) and once I read it I fell in love with it and read the rest of the series because someone that works with my mom has a sister that owns a bookstore and she gave my mom the books to give to me.

Then last year(?)(I don't know summer makes me confused with school years, 6th grade) my friend got it for a book report for school and I told him to make sure to read it, which he did and then my other friend started the series and stopped at some point during summer, and I asked him about it and he told me that and said Brisingr was too boring and I told him to keep reading and that it gets a lot better towards the end.

So my point is that magic isn't only a part of the book but that the book itself gets introduced constantly and so a lot of people read is and it seems magic.

Sorry about the huge post. sad.gif

For any Eragon fan who doesn't know- Nov. 6th or Nov. something.

I see most people have chosen Eragon. *shakes her head*

I was unable to finish Eragon. I tried about 6 times. I even tried listening to it a couple times, could not finish it.

I could actually finish all 4 (well, all 5) of the Twilight books. I've even reread them.

I love Eragon I have the three books which I hope they will make the fourth book soon. I also have the movie I hope they make more.

I simply like Eragon more because there seems to be more thought and complexity to it. A whole new realm was created, and in my opinion the storyline was rather original. (I realize Dragon Riders are not original, but that's not what I was referring to). There's just more to like in Eragon, more to be entertained with. Sure, people might not like it. But I find it to be better than Twilight any day, at least.

I also read through all the Twilight books. They amused me, but they will not come close to Eragon's complexity.

I'd say Twilight is a lot worse. Eragon was pretty good, but it was very easy to lose interest and get lost in about a dozen other series. I finished the first one and never went back to the series.

Twilight.

I've read and liked them both. Chose Twilight, because it was easier to read than Eragon.

Well lets see, Twilight is horribly written with very little plot, a story that reads like a hormonal teenage girl's diary with paranormal beasts thrown in.

Eragon has a plot completely borrowed from Star Wars Episode 4, isn't very well written (the first one at least) but I loved it anyways.

Eragon gets my vote.

what are you talking about? Luke never built an own light saber xd.png

Reposting the Eragon v. Star Wars breakdown:

Story opens with a princess (Arya/Leia) smuggling something valuable (dragon egg/Death Star plans) that was stolen from the Empire. Arya/Leia transports the egg/plans away (magic/escape pod) before being captured by the evil Emperor's right hand man (Durza/Darth Vader).

Enter the unassuming farm-boy who will eventually save the world: Eragon/Luke, abandoned/orphaned as an infant and raised on his uncle's farm. Eragon/Luke happen upon the egg/plans by accident. He eventually goes to the strange old man (Brom/Obi-wan) who is secretly a member of an ancient order (Riders/Jedi) for advice/information about the valuable thing.

Soon agents of the Empire ransack Eragon's/Luke's farm, kill his uncle and burn the place to the ground. Eragon/Luke flees with Brom/Obi-wan before the Empire can capture them. Brom/Obi-wan reveals that Eragon's/Luke's father was also a member of the Riders/Jedi, and bequeaths his sword/light-saber upon him. Brom/Obi-wan then begins to educate Eragon/Luke in the ways of the Riders/Jedi, teaching him swordplay and magic/the Force.

Eragon/Luke meets an outlaw of sorts, (Murtagh/Han Solo) who helps him to rescue Princess Arya/Leia. The Empire kills Brom/Obi-wan. Eragon/Luke, Murtagh/Han and Arya/Leia flee to the Varden/Rebel base. Eragon/Luke decides to take up arms with the Varden/Rebels against the Empire in the coming battle. During the course of the battle, it falls to Eragon/Luke to finish Durza/the Death Star. It seems that Eragon/Luke is going to fail, when suddenly Arya and Saphira/Han in the Millennium Falcon provides a distraction allowing Eragon/Luke to get in the killing blow.

Next installment!

Eragon/Luke leaves the Varden/Rebels in order to complete his Rider/Jedi training. He travels to the hidden elf city/remote swamp planet to find the master of the Riders/Jedi, who has been in hiding since the fall of the Riders/Jedi, to train him. Eragon/Luke locates the ancient and dying master, Oromis/Yoda, and begins his training in earnest. While only part of the way through his training, Eragon/Luke learns that his Varden/Rebel friends are in trouble. He leaves Oromis/Yoda, promising to return and complete his training some day.

Eragon/Luke runs off to help his friends, and is met with another Rider/Jedi. The Rider/Jedi pretty well owns Eragon/Luke in swordplay and use of magic/the Force, before going on a rant about how the dark side is so much more powerful, and how Eragon/Luke should join the Empire. Oh, btw, this Rider/Jedi also happens to be Eragon's/Luke's brother/father. And so it is revealed that Eragon's/Luke's father was the Rider/Jedi responsible for betraying their order to its downfall.

They apparently break from the Star Wars-esque plot in the third book (haven't read it myself, couldn't tell you), but the first half of the series follows pretty closely.

I think that the people who are bagging on Eragon are either referring to the movie, or think that every page that doesn't involve tearing people apart is boring.

The book was great.

I think that the people who are bagging on Eragon are either referring to the movie, or think that every page that doesn't involve tearing people apart is boring.

The book was great.

... no, it's just as badly written and full of holes as Twilight. I actually kind of enjoyed the movie. It was incredibly stupid, but hey, I didn't have to read it, and the dragon (even with the stupid feathered wings) was nicely done.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Eragon is better.

Twilight...it's okay I guess...but Eragon is better.

Twilight is too romantic. :/

i read eragon when i was younger and i enjoyed it. i haven't read it since then so i don't remember anything of it. remember seeing the movie and being disappointed but i did like how saphira looked, despite the...feathery wings, which surprised me.

i dislike twilight. i bought the book before the hype came out and got bored halfway through. and i've seen many examples where the english language has been torn to bits in it...but worst of all is the fanbase. not all...just the crazy ones. i don't understand why it's so popular and to me, it sends out all the wrong messages. especially towards tweens-teenaged girls. you don't need a boyfriend to live, lol.

I chose the "neither" option that does not exist. tongue.gif They're really not my cup of tea.

i agree with whoever said they are badly written because they are. it's horrifying for me to think that people are reading these books and thinking they're good.

twilight is full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes and the sentence structure is laughable. eragon is similiar but the content of the stories are plagiarised.

it's laughable that either of these could be classed as good :/

(which makes the movies just as bad - because they're based on bad literature.)

that said, if i can forget where the movie came from, i enjoyed eragon. it was a feel good movie even i dont like the books.

Edited by CCPhoenix

Personally, I'm on Team Margolotta. laugh.gif

Both are written badly with hardly an original thought between them. I voted the same because of this.

Read the first two books of the Inheritance series and found too much Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/Dragon riders of Pern in it to really enjoy it. Didn't bother trying to read the third book.

Did read all of the twilight Series and was glad I didn't read Breaking Dawn first because everything went to the netherworld in a hand basket. I much prefer reading Anne Rice's Vampire books far more interesting.

Sparkling vampires? blink.gifblink.gif Look I figured that the vampires in Twilight have to be gay - no offense there but, ever watch designer shows with all the sparkling men in them? - I rest my case. biggrin.giflaugh.gif"Oh that chair is just so wonderful and will look great in..."

Yeah, about the same.

Edited by Ramica

I prefer Twilight. When I finish reading a book, I usually don't know how to feel about it right away. I'll spend the next day going over the plot to determine whether I liked it more than it annoyed me. I ended up liking the first three books more than I hated them. (And I seriously dislike vampire/werewolf fiction normally, other than Jim Butcher's.) Breaking Dawn, however, seriously made my brain cramp. I've seen it all before, but never in a book targeted at young teens.

So although I actually agree with most of the negative things said about Twilight, and I find the first movie hard to watch, I still like it. It gets extra points from me for the originality (sparkly vampires are just as historically accurate as vampires that burn in the sun) and the attempt at providing a genetic basis for vampires and werewolves. (I have my issues with how they were explained, but I could tell the author actually put some thought into it.)

Eragon was the purest regurgitation of fantasy tropes I've ever seen. The way I described it to my nephew was, "If you've never read a fantasy novel before, you might like it. If you've read any fantasy at all, you'll feel like this book plagiarized it." I really wanted to like the book, but I value originality more than almost anything else in a book, and that book had none.

(sparkly vampires are just as historically accurate as vampires that burn in the sun)

Please, do prove this. I'm eager to see where this sparkly vampires come from other than her dream.

and the attempt at providing a genetic basis for vampires and werewolves.

You do not throw in science unless you can get away with it. Meyer knows less than nothing about genetis, and she somehow thought she could pull it off. No, it does not work.

Butcher does not explain genetically anything about his world, and makes a feeble, very subtle attempt at explaining Harry's extraordinary full recovery by approaching science very, very slightly. Jim Butcher knew very well what he was doing.

Meyer started throwing science without any research and kicked basic genetics to oblivion. I didn't have an "issue" with her usage of genetics. I had about 10 pages of issues I pointed out, and I'm not even studying anything related to science. I can't imagine what a genetist would have to say about her work.

It's simple, this creatures make no sense according to science. They do not exist.

Do not try to explain them.