darkangel787

Eragon vs Twilight?

Which is better: Eragon or Twilight?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd have to go with Eragon. Because I liked that book and I don't usually criticize the books that I read for fun. Usually.

I made an exception for twilight. Seriously, I don't usually hate any books, but really? A (love story?) with sparkly vampires? Really?

Edited by Shellijellifish

VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE!!!!!!

Well until they drink blood but that is only light reflecting off the wet surface.

they SITLL shouldn't sparkle either way, wargod

I hate HATE hate HATe hate HATE twilight.

SERIOUSLY.

I mean come ON

so thats why my vote goes to Eragon.

but I love dragons, so that's also why tongue.gif

I voted for Eragon. Twilight is devoid of any meaning and poorly written. Eragon's better than that.

Another vote for Eragon, man I wish the last book would come out already (anyone else think the Eragon move sucks)

I'd have to agree on a lot of counts that the Eragon movie was a complete failure when compared to the book. Not comparing it to the book/ignoring all its problems, it's okay....probably good for kids just getting into dragons and stuff.

they SITLL shouldn't sparkle either way, wargod

I hate HATE hate HATe hate HATE twilight.

SERIOUSLY.

I mean come ON

so thats why my vote goes to Eragon.

but I love dragons, so that's also why tongue.gif

Well it isn't even the vampire sparkling it is the wet blood dripping down their mouth sparkling its crimson in the moonlight as they take a gasp of air. Elated by the feeling of a fresh kill and a soon to be new comrade. It lays the head gently on the pavement and waits for the transformation.

I read the first Twilight book, and it left me with absolutely no desire to read any of the sequels. It bored me to no end. And after reading the summaries for the other books, I get the feeling that I dodged a very poorly written bullet.

I'm rather fond of the Inheritance series. I have read the reasons for why it is not good and I admit that they are legitimate, well-thought out reasons. However, I first read Eragon when I was starving for a good dragon story, and (for me) Eragon fit the bill.

Edited by NightingaleSwiftwing

I've always loved Eragon. I love the way Paolini writes and his story is interesting. The first book was kind of boring to me, but was still interesting the first time I read it nonetheless, and the new books picked up the slack. But then the movie sort of made me angsty with the series. ._." Twilight... Meh, I like Twilight, despite it's amatuer writing, cheesiness, and the first book mostly consisting of how Edward is a sexbomb with sparkles or something (and then the second book consisting of "THERE'S A HOLE IN MY CHEST!" nonstop).

Blah, though, I guess in the end I prefer Eragon. At least it hasn't lowered my IQ with terrible attempts at lemon scenes.

Eragon- Copy of Star Wars.

Twilight- Pathetic attempt at a romance. Or a crime drama. I couldn't tell which.

Both are equal.

Qwackie, how in ANY WAY is Eragon a copy of Star wars? I must admit, it has a slightly similar general plot-line. Boy in surpressed town, happens to be ____, and old dude trains him to be good, the old dude dies, then he finds an even better person to train him, they die. Oh, and there is a small rebel force.

But it does have some originality. The dragon-rider thing is sort of original, considering it hasn't *really* been done before. The magic and such is also very original.

*on topic mode*

I personally say Eragon. Eragon wasn't... written very well, but you have to give credit to Paolini, for he was only 17. It was at least entertaining even if it was badly written.

Twilight (*huge sigh*), is just Twilight. Very boring and un-entertaining plot, very dragged out, very stupid, puts a pansy original twist on vampires/werewolves. My main reason why I despise Twilight: Fan girls.

Qwackie, how in ANY WAY is Eragon a copy of Star wars? I must admit, it has a slightly similar general plot-line. Boy in surpressed town, happens to be ____, and old dude trains him to be good, the old dude dies, then he finds an even better person to train him, they die. Oh, and there is a small rebel force.

But it does have some originality. The dragon-rider thing is sort of original, considering it hasn't *really* been done before. The magic and such is also very original.

*on topic mode*

I personally say Eragon. Eragon wasn't... written very well, but you have to give credit to Paolini, for he was only 17. It was at least entertaining even if it was badly written.

Twilight (*huge sigh*), is just Twilight. Very boring and un-entertaining plot, very dragged out, very stupid, puts a pansy original twist on vampires/werewolves. My main reason why I despise Twilight: Fan girls.

... 'dragon rider thing had never really been done before'? Right, and I'm a monkey's uncle.

The magic is basic at best, the system of a 'one true language' that can change things has been around for ages. Paolini's 'originality' only comes in how many ways he can use it for a Deus ex Machina; as well as how many ways he can pull new loopholes out of his backside, not even caring about how if it contradicts anything that's come before.

As for dragon riders? Does the title 'Dragonriders of Pern' mean anything to you? There have been many books and shows involving dragon riding, long before Paolini was even born.

Eragon is NOT original. It is insanely cliche, and not in a good way (like, say, Mass Effect- it's got almost every space cliche out there, but it WORKS). The few potentially interesting, original spins that might exist are drowned in a sea of pure, utter... ... well, I got a warn for saying it since it was 'bypassing the censors', but I think you can guess some words to fill in the blank.

Even for 17, it's bad. I've seen so much better from even younger authors. To quote a friend who actually managed to sit through this god-awful waste of trees: "Eragon is good because it's easy to sink into it and forget you even exist. The only thing it REALLY has going for it is that Eragon is a Gary Stu enough that he might as well be you. Eragon is like, the antichrist of originality."

It's only good for escapism, just like Twilight.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Eragon is a copy of other things, and somewhat cliche, but at least it's actually exciting and not s censorkip.gif like Twilight. There. That's my opinion and you're not gonna change it.

The eragon books are pretty epic. The twilight books are eh.

Obviously I vote for eragon.

Eragon got boring after the first book, whereas Twilight got boring after the first few sentences.

Eragon is better. Which isn't saying much.

lol xd.png I guess you're right about the twilight part

ooh search on youtube "Alex reads twilight ch 1" (CAUTION: STRONG LANGUAGE) it's HILARIOUS, he takes twilight apart and criticizes it...and to top it off, in a british accent.

But back on topic now...

I didn't think Eragon was boring....I thought the first book was the best one though.

I would definitely say Eragon is, by far, the better of the two.

Originality: Eragon all the way. A whole new world with new creatures no one's ever heard of, plus its own languages. Twilight has nonviolent vampires. Which wins? Eragon.

Character: Eragon has flaws. He has good points. Roran has good points and flaws. Arya can be a jerk, but she can be sweet too. Bella has no personality at all and Edward is 100% Stu. Eragon wins.

Literary: While the first Eragon book was a little light for my reading ability, later books became deeper and more vivid. Twilight is about a 4th grade reading level, no matter what. +1 for Eragon.

Length: I like long books. Eragon is as long as a freaking Bible. Book one: 509 pages. Book two: 668 pages. Book three: 748 pages! Twilight is a bit shorter. Eragon wins again.

Combat: Any guy that can write swordplay so vividly I can almost see it deserves a point. It's much more complicated and beautiful than two random demon beasts just tearing into each other. Eragon takes a point.

Eragon: 5

Twilight: 0

Eragon was a better book but the Twilight movies were truer to the books. If we're talking franchise Twilight wins because of the movies and Eragon loses because of the movie. The director for Eragon butchered the plot. Eregon is a better book by far.

Eragon was a better book but the Twilight movies were truer to the books. If we're talking franchise Twilight wins because of the movies and Eragon loses because of the movie. The director for Eragon butchered the plot. Eregon is a better book by far.

Even a drunk could have made twilight and stay true to the books. All you need is sparkling vampires and a dunce who puts the M in S&M.

By the way, for the originality thing, @dragon_mando, Eragon IS StarWars.

farm boy gets to go on the big adventure!

Wise old sage (Brom) teaches him all if not most of what he knows

Gets to rescue princess (Arya)

Im just saying Eragon isnt that hard to mess up. Just cut out some of the filler time in the desert and a few non major events but no. The director totally screwed himself if he wanted Paolini to trust him with anything ever again.

I enjoyed Twilight, but it isn't my most favorite book. ;p I'll read anything. However, I have to say that Bella is very annoying. She's smart, pretty, and has absolutely no flaws that make people hate her; same as Edward. Jacob is an example of a quality character, as are Jasper and Rosalie. They all have their flaws and their good parts, unlike Bella and Edward. ;p

But I have to say, Eragon's been my hero ever since fourth grade. 8D The beginning is kinda shaky, sure, but later on it really straightens out and turns into an epic plot. Don't watch the movie until you've read the book; the movie was corny and did the entire plot wrong. ;p

So yeah, Eragon. 8D