darkangel787

Eragon vs Twilight?

Which is better: Eragon or Twilight?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that Eragon is a wonderful book. I haven't read it in a while, and it's certainly not the best book I've ever read, but it's a good book with a decent plot and some characters that you can love/hate. The movie was good if you hadn't read the book. The animation was actually pretty incredible, and the actors were nice (Murtagh's actor? Definitely hot). But if you considered the book along with the movie, the movie was terrible. Luckily I watched the film first. In fact that's what enchanted me with dragons in the first place.

As for Twilight, there are definitely pros and cons(like in Eragon). Unfortunately, due to the irritation the lovely twihards caused, I do believe it received much, much more ridicule than Eragon, while both do receive criticism. If the fans of the book had treated it like the good book, I'm sure Meyer wouldn't have received nearly as much hate for it. It really depends on the person when it comes to certain selections such as Eragon and Twilight, and honestly neither of the two deserve to become classics.

My personal preference is Eragon, just due to the variety instead of Twilight's 'plot of love'...or something.

Eragon is a cliche. Twilight is a cliche. What a shame I didn't know what the meaning of good literature was four years ago.... ANYWAY. All the fanfic for Eragon to my knowledge is terrible; however to my knowledge I have read one deep fic for Twilight that was written by a talented writer. Obviously it didn't have Bella or Edward in it and the shame that the author wasn't the original writer. -.-

All I've got to say is that at least I could get through the whole Twilight series. I really liked Eragon. I got bored with the next one. Eldest, I think it was. Perhaps it was because it had been so long since I'd read Eragon, but the fact remains that I never got through the second book /shrug

Plus, not to sound like a hipster or anything, but I really did read Twilight before it got big. Before any movies were in the talks, and I think before Eclipse even came out. Definitely before Breaking Dawn, because I remember waiting for it's release.

I know a lot of people hate on Twilight, but I hadn't heard that people hate on Eragon.

I don't understand the concept of "hating on" a book. You can not like a book, and even choose not to finish it, but I think it's all gone way overboard. There's a difference between hating the "Twi-hards" and all the hype, and hating the actual book, and there's no need to be so passionate against a book. It's just a book...it's so very not in-your-face, considering it's inatimate. The problem is that people seem to blur hating the fandom with hating the book, the movies, and anyone who reads/likes the books.

I'm proud to say that I found the book a very compelling story, and that it vastly increased the type of books I read, opening me up to paranormal romance, which is now probably my favorite genre, even if I prefer the less conventional "breeds" of it (necromancer comes to mind, because of "The Summoning").

Edited by FireAngel73

Seriously, being a typical loser and all, I genuinely love both of them. o.o I think the Eragon's concept, as a whole, was intensely epic but Twilight was just so awesome too... so I voted they were both equally as good. biggrin.gif

I get the hating though. The way Twilight was written was very poor in many areas, but the plot gives it substance, I guess. But I've always been a sucker for a good plot anyway so the bad writing is easily forgiven (gosh, I should never be a book critic xd.png). Eragon was a lot better in terms of writing style, but even then there were some areas where parts sounded a bit off. I wouldn't be able to write something anywhere near as good as both Eragon and Twilight so rather than hating, I love them both!

Honestly, Twilight. It wasn't particularly good, but it was entertaining, and I was able to finish the series. I can't say the same about Eragon. The first book was interesting, but a bit overly-detailed. The second book, however, put me to sleep. I haven't touched it in over a year, and I have no desire to.

... there's no need to be so passionate against a book. It's just a book.

Books house ideas. Ideas tend to be things worth getting passionate about. ^-^;

Looking back, I suppose I'm being hypocritical. I can't say "it's just a book" when someone talks against it, while at the same time be like this for Harry Potter:

user posted image

So, I take it back. I still argue that people blur the lines between hating the book and hating the Twi-hards. Even I hate them, and I loved the books.

Edited by FireAngel73

I have to agree with Stromboli. Books are not just books. I don't want to break Godwin's Law, so I'll stick to something more conventional. Would you guys say the Bible is just a book? How about Maquiavelo's Prince? Or Plato's Republic and The Laws? Let's see, what's your opinion on Rousseau's whole work?

They were just books, but books can shape our world.

While I don't believe Twilight, much less Eragon, has the strength to shape our world, they should not be considered just books. Eragon is a fairy tale, interesting to analyze, but little else can be found there. However, Twilight does harbor some very dangerous ideas, and I'm speaking as someone who has suffered through an abusive relationship and I can see a lot of my ex boyfriend in Edward. Too much for my liking, and I shudder to think many girls today might take those dangerous signals as some form of true love.

I'm mature enough as not to take these books seriously, nor anything cinema or TV portrays, but I've also been 12, and I thought my prince charming would swoop me off my feet to a romantic voyage like it's never been seen.

Tasnia; I'm sorry to digress but... plot? What plot?

At least Eragon has a plot, albeit not a very good one. A cliché Hero's Journey.

But Twilight? I don't see any plot in Twilight, much less one that can be called good. It's merely a soap opera with vampires.

LOTR has a plot.

Song of Ice and Fire has a plot (and what a plot!)

Each Dresden Files book has a plot.

Dark Elf has a plot.

I can go on with the list, and Twilight is not in it.

ERAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERAGON ALL THE WAY! I'M SO SIKED 4 DA 5TH BOOK! GO ERAGON! THE INHERITANCE CYCLE IS THE BEST! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oops, sorry, got a little excited... I freakin' LOVE the Inheritance cycle

ERAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERAGON ALL THE WAY! I'M SO SIKED 4 DA 5TH BOOK! GO ERAGON! THE INHERITANCE CYCLE IS THE BEST! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oops, sorry, got a little excited... I freakin' LOVE the Inheritance cycle

You're going to forgive me but... I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say...

You're going to forgive me but... I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say...

I love the Inheritance cycle, thats all I'm sayin. xd.png

... There's going to be a fifth Eragon book?

What happened to it being a trilogy? o.O

My thoughts exactly. I knew the fourth was coming out this year, but a fifth? I don't have news about it, not that I've investigated at all. I'm not planning on continuing reading those bricks full of fillers. I'll be content with reading the summary in Wikipedia.

Arya, as a non native english speaker, I have a load of trouble understanding slang. What that "siked" means?

My thoughts exactly. I knew the fourth was coming out this year, but a fifth? I don't have news about it, not that I've investigated at all. I'm not planning on continuing reading those bricks full of fillers. I'll be content with reading the summary in Wikipedia.

Arya, as a non native english speaker, I have a load of trouble understanding slang. What that "siked" means?

Either an accidental or (god forbid) deliberate misspelling of 'psyched'. Excited.

"Siked" or "psyched" is slang, in this context meaning very excited.

But about the ideas in Twilight... I was honestly more troubled by the idea of imprinting than Edward's psycho-creepiness.

The more Meyer says about it, the worse it gets... The idea of it being some wolf-sense that made them realize the presence of their 'soul mate' was kind of weird to begin with, but then it morphed into this thing about finding the best candidate to pass the wolf-gene on with. Makes more sense than the soul mate thing, particularly when you consider how the shape-shifter's personality could do a complete reversal after imprinting (if they were soul mates, why would he need to change?), but is altogether way creepier. It's no longer some cutesy thing about finding true love, it's about finding the woman who will produce as many wolf-babies as possible.

All the more disturbing when guys start imprinting on children. And when Meyer slipped in that bit about Jacob having a prenatal pre-imprinting attraction to Renesmee. The kid isn't even born yet, and Jacob's already staking her out as his baby-mama. BUH. MEYER WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS.

And then there's the way that they never mention an imprinting relationship *not* becoming sexual eventually. The best defense they can ever give of imprinting on little girls is that he doesn't want her romantically... yet.

"Siked" or "psyched" is slang, in this context meaning very excited.

But about the ideas in Twilight... I was honestly more troubled by the idea of imprinting than Edward's psycho-creepiness.

The more Meyer says about it, the worse it gets... The idea of it being some wolf-sense that made them realize the presence of their 'soul mate' was kind of weird to begin with, but then it morphed into this thing about finding the best candidate to pass the wolf-gene on with. Makes more sense than the soul mate thing, particularly when you consider how the shape-shifter's personality could do a complete reversal after imprinting (if they were soul mates, why would he need to change?), but is altogether way creepier. It's no longer some cutesy thing about finding true love, it's about finding the woman who will produce as many wolf-babies as possible.

All the more disturbing when guys start imprinting on children. And when Meyer slipped in that bit about Jacob having a prenatal pre-imprinting attraction to Renesmee. The kid isn't even born yet, and Jacob's already staking her out as his baby-mama. BUH. MEYER WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS.

And then there's the way that they never mention an imprinting relationship *not* becoming sexual eventually. The best defense they can ever give of imprinting on little girls is that he doesn't want her romantically... yet.

The wolf just becomes everything and whatever the girl wants, so even if there are tiny bits of incompatibility, it'll be all gone! As for the girl, she can refuse if she really wants- but who would refuse that kind of devotion? /headwall.

Yeah, honestly... Meyer and Paolini both just fill their works with unfortunate implication/fridge horror after unfortunate implication/fridge horror. Frankly, they're just equal at this point, though on different levels.

It's disgusting dry.gif

Edited by Dr. Paine

Except... the girl can't refuse either. Emily tried to, and Sam flipped out on her, leaving her scarred for life... more than just physically, I'd assume. o.O

I really don't understand Meyer. She says in interviews how she loves the idea of choice and how choice shapes the story, but at every turn there are no choices. I'm pretty sure Bella says at least a couple times how she 'never had a choice' in loving Edward, and imprinting takes any kind of free will away from both parties...

Except... the girl can't refuse either. Emily tried to, and Sam flipped out on her, leaving her scarred for life... more than just physically, I'd assume. o.O

I really don't understand Meyer. She says in interviews how she loves the idea of choice and how choice shapes the story, but at every turn there are no choices. I'm pretty sure Bella says at least a couple times how she 'never had a choice' in loving Edward, and imprinting takes any kind of free will away from both parties...

Exactly x3 The 'she can refuse' thing were Meyer's words, not mine.

Yup, I know. ^-^ I just kinda wonder how much she thinks when she says things... Like how Edward and Bella are supposed to be a more romantic couple than Romeo and Juliet.

Well no durr, R&J is a tragedy. They were never supposed to be a great romantic couple.

Eragon is too much like Aragon for my liking.

Read both "meh" was my response

They got popular "hate it" is my response now

sorry, it IS the fourth, not fifth book coming out. And siked means excited. (I probably spelled it wrong. And I'm so disappointed w/ myself for giving u wrong Inheritance info. An Inheritance fan like me is just so excited about the release this fall. It's six day after my b-day!)p.s. there is POSSIBILITY of a fifth book.

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!!

Edit button is your friend. No need to double post. :3

And why would the FBI hunt poor Paine down for saying "god forbid?" o.O

So we're on a fourth book with the possibility of a fifth... still, what happened to it being a trilogy? I was kind of expecting some huge deus ex machina that resulted in very quickly tying up or ignoring the million-and-two sub plots that were set up in the second book. Does Paolini actually plan on finishing all of them? o_O

I love the Inhereitance cycle so much that not only have I read the main books ( that are currently out. Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr.) But I've also read the back books ( Eragon's guide to alagaesia, and the Inheritance almanac.)

Edit button is your friend. No need to double post. :3

And why would the FBI hunt poor Paine down for saying "god forbid?" o.O

So we're on a fourth book with the possibility of a fifth... still, what happened to it being a trilogy? I was kind of expecting some huge deus ex machina that resulted in very quickly tying up or ignoring the million-and-two sub plots that were set up in the second book. Does Paolini actually plan on finishing all of them? o_O

Yeah, why would he let is loyal dragon lovin' fans down? Sorry for all da improper grammar. I am a really smart girl, but it IS summer break and I live in a small town in GA.

I'm going to say Eragon, but only reluctantly. Both are plagued with mediocre writing.