darkangel787

Eragon vs Twilight?

Which is better: Eragon or Twilight?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TEAM ERAGON!!!!!!!! I have read both but I prefer Eragon over Twilight anyday! Eragon has more to it and a bigger story while Twilight has to much complaining and drama from Bella to me; the plot was good tho I am a team Jacob fan.

...but guys why not read GOOD books?

I totally agree, but the problem is, sometimes books are recommended as being 'good', or everyone is talking about them, so people are curious and want to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm a big fan of vampires, so I'm always looking for a new vampire book to read -- or at least I was before coming across Twilight. I'd heard a lot about it, and they were filming the first movie here in Vancouver. I found the paperback and leafed through it and saw that it was set on the Pacific coast and Vancouver was mentioned. Those things sold me on it, so I got the book and started reading. Halfway through I hurled it across the room and haven't opened it since. I think it's still lying there under my dresser, maybe being eaten by bookworms, if even they can stomach it. :-)

On a funny note, like I said, I came across Twilight in my local library and proptly read it. Each page I read I couldn't stop noticing the heavy use of adjectives. When I finished the book, I called my friend laughing and told her;

- "This book is so bad it's hilarious. You've got to read it!"

She actually loved it. O_O

xd.png

To this day, there is a constant disagreement between us about a certain part on the book. To be more exact, the part where Bella gets pregnat.

She defends it was so unexpected, she loved it, because she wasn't expecting that twist.

I argue that she didn't expect it because there was no such thing as foreshadowing in any of the previous three books, and, in fact, it has been insisted pretty much on the contrary.

To this day, we will never agree.

For me, the pregnancy was so blatantly foreshadowed with that whole "immortal children" tangent at the beginning of the book, the only surprise was that Meyer actually went through with it. That whole plot was just... bleck.

For me, the pregnancy was so blatantly foreshadowed with that whole "immortal children" tangent at the beginning of the book, the only surprise was that Meyer actually went through with it. That whole plot was just... bleck.

Yeah, you've got a point there! xd.png

It was so obvious in the fourth book, I don't know why my friend was surprised at all (I guess she didn't expect Meyer to bend the rules of her own universe in the very last book, I wasn't so hopeful).

I do admit I wasn't expecting the book to be such a trainwreck. Bad, yes, like all the previous books, but not this level of wish-fulfillment-fanfiction bad.

Eragon is a sociopathic elf-human hybrid terrorist. Bella is a girl obsessed with a vampire. They're both poorly written, but at least Eragon has a personality.

Eragon is so much better. My sister watched the Twilight movies, and even though I don't like it, from the few moments I did see the movies, it just seemed boring. I only saw 5 minutes of the first movie and then the very end of the last movie, and I still understood the plot. It's like the movies were all the same. I'd much rather read Eragon. However I don't think the Eragon movie was as good as it could have been, but I've seen worse.

In the Twilight series, it takes three books for the girl to get together with a sparkly vampire. Three books. Utter waste of time. And the characters are all so Mary Sue and Gary Stu. Ugh. Plus, I was expecting some epic awesome fight at the end but nooooo. A diplomatic solution that really isn't all that diplomatic and would probably spell the end for the clan. And seriously? Some of the pairings! IT'S CALLED PEDOPHILA, PEOPLE!!!

At least Eragon has characters with some measure of originality. But I'd take Lord of the Rings any day of the week.

When I was fifteen I friend of me forced me to read Twilight and I have to admit that I kind of enjoyed it back then (bear with me, I was a silly teenager and now I am ashamed of myself). Then I grew older and wiser and realized how badly written, what a horrible person Bella is and I switched from Team Jacob to Team Taylor's Van. The only thing I am proud of is that I disliked Edward right away and I can complain properly about the book since I actually read all four of them. I even read an excerpt from "50 Shades of Grey", the infamous FF of Twilight, and I was surprised that it was even worse than Twilight in every single aspect.

The movies... when I first saw the first one I thought it was a rather brilliant parody and then I was utterly shocked that it was actually the real thing. Never watched more than the first half of the first movie, though, so I can say much about the other movies.

I like Eragon. It is by no way an unique book and it has several flaws but I still think that is an enjoyable read (and it has dragons in it biggrin.gif ).

But on the subject of bad books I can't help myself but mention the "House of Night"- Series. What do we have? A generic plot, a Mary Sue and several hypocritical persons (in case you wonder, the Mary Sue is the biggest of all). The plot also has the little problem that it could have fit in 3-4 books with ease but the authors stretched it so much that there will be eventually 12 books in total, a truly big waste of paper and money.

Edited by Flaviel

Eragon all the way. Granted over the years I have read far better books but I personally still enjoy the Inheritance Cycle, the only issue I had with the series was really the ending of Inheritance which seemed to kind of a poor means of ending the book a bit. I had been hoping for something more climatic.

Also I have seen far worse books then either these two series yet these two series seem to fall into the categories of either you like them or you don't, there never seems to be an inbetween ground for them.

As for Twilight, sorry to those that might like it but I dispise the books along with the movies.

Eragon. I can at least remember enjoying it, and remember some specific scenes and plot events from it. Twilight just left absolutely no impression at all.

I'm going to reread the Inheritance "cycle" pretty soon though, leading up to finally reading Inheritance for the first time, so who knows, maybe I'll realize that it was awful all along or something.

I have to question though... exactly what verdict could be expected considering the userbase of this site? tongue.gif

I can't fairly say. The both of them are in my school library, but I read much of either. Eragon I tried, but got kinda bored and haven't picked it back up since. Twilight is also there, but I was so terrified of what the other kids would say if I ended up liking it that I couldn't bring myself to check it out.

Eragon all the way, and I like most vampires and werewolves.

On that note, this may be a very biased poll - you are asking Dragoncave members to choose between a series on dragons and a series on vampires/werewolves...

Also, Movie-wise...Eragon sucked, but still better than Twilight (IMHO)

Eragon. I was actually able to read all of the books without wanting to put the book down. I tried reading twilight and couldn't get past the 3rd chapter of the first book.. It's still sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust.

Tbh I'm not too impressed with either one. I found Eragon rather boring and filled with cliches, but if I had to pick a favorite between the two I'd still go with Eragon. My biggest problem with Twilight is that it romanticizes controlling relationships.

My biggest problem with Twilight is that it romanticizes controlling relationships.

Exactly. In my opinion, even a very well-written book is a bad book if it romanticizes something evil. Whereas a book may be poorly written, but if its message is good and wise, that counts for something.

People have said to me that Bella is a heroine designed for teenage girls because that's the sort of thing they like. But I just see the book as catering to the worst impulses of teenage girls.

Edited by Jennie

Exactly. In my opinion, even a very well-written book is a bad book if it romanticizes something evil. Whereas a book may be poorly written, but if its message is good and wise, that counts for something.

People have said to me that Bella is a heroine designed for teenage girls because that's the sort of thing they like. But I just see the book as catering to the worst impulses of teenage girls.

And what is exactly something evil? What is a good and wise message?

Good and evil are constructs based purely on subjective opinions and cultural factors.

What I consider a good message, others might consider a terrible message. For example, I believe the life of the hunter-gatherer is the most humane way to treat animals and the ecosystem. Strict vegans believe I'm a monster.

A good, well written book, IMO, that sends a message I don't like, is still a good, well written book. The fact that my own beliefs are against that certain message should not influence the quality of a book.

Good and evil are constructs based purely on subjective opinions and cultural factors.

I see. So I don't get to have an opinion? Or, if I get to have one, I must keep it to myself? If other people think that a book that romanticizes controlling relationships is wonderful, then I can't disagree?

What I consider a good message, others might consider a terrible message.

So what? Other people consider this a terrible message, so anyone who thinks it's a good message has to hide their opinion?

The fact that my own beliefs are against that certain message should not influence the quality of a book.

I disagree.

I see. So I don't get to have an opinion? Or, if I get to have one, I must keep it to myself? If other people think that a book that romanticizes controlling relationships is wonderful, then I can't disagree?

You missed the point entirely. rolleyes.gif

I've read through this conversation and I have absolutely no idea where this came from. I agree with you that the book romanticizes abusive behaviors and I think it's a very scary commentary that so many people fell in love with the dangerous relationships in the book without recognizing the signs of abuse, but pointing out that morals are determined by society and culture isn't saying that you can't have nor share your opinion. o_O

I've read through this conversation and I have absolutely no idea where this came from.

I said that:

In my opinion, even a very well-written book is a bad book if it romanticizes something evil.

I stated it was my opinion. The response was that morals and concepts of evil were constructions of society. I already know that, and already stated that it was my opinion. So, what other reason could there be to tell me that my opinion is a social construct than to suggest my opinion is somehow invalid, or that I had no right to express it because it's a social construct? I'm not saying that other people have to agree with me, or claiming that my opinion is somehow universal truth. That would be something to argue against.

You missed the point entirely. rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, but I don't think so. I understand your point that beliefs about morals and so on are influenced by society. I know that different people have different beliefs. But this point is often used to tell people that their beliefs are invalid. Merely the fact that some people might believe that controlling relationships are wonderful, especially when it's a man controlling a woman, doesn't mean that I have to accept this, and believe it myself. When I read a book, or see a movie, that portrays such relationships as romantic, I see that as evil. What exactly is the point of telling me that other people have different concepts of evil?

By the way, I think I should drop out of this conversation. I didn't intend to offend anyone, and I apologize if I did.

Edited by Jennie

I'm sorry, but I don't think so

Because, for some mysterious reason, I don't know what I meant with what I wrote. laugh.gif

But this point is often used to tell people that their beliefs are invalid

Say what? That's the first time in my 30 years of life I've ever heard stating such a thing is invalidating someone's belief. blink.gif

I was merely stating an opinion as to why I disagreed that the quality of a book was based on subjective opinions and beliefs, nothing more.

Everything else is a totally uncalled for over-reaction.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Eragon. definately. At least it didn't have sparkly vampires. there were a lot of things that I would've fixed, though.

I think Eragon is way better than Twilight. For a start it has dragons! biggrin.gif I understand how its copied of Star Wars and not very original but I still really enjoyed it. Eragon is one of my six favourite books though at the beginning I found the first book quite boring. I only became interested with it at the end of the second book. Now I have read the whole series. smile.gif Twilight however is not one of my favourite books. I never really found the thought of sparkly vampires and a load of kissing very exciting. In my point of view Twilight is an abomination to literature. blink.gif My sister who likes Twilight forced me to watch the films. Since I didn't like the book I didn't enjoy the film though it did have the same plot unlike the film of Eragon. The film of Eragon was a bit of a shock since it hardly followed the story line at all. Its okay if you haven't read the book but since I have it confused me a bit. I can see why they couldn't make any more films.

Eragon FTW!

I prefer Eragon because 1; IT HAS DRAGONS! 2; Its a really good fansty book/film...

I havent really read Twilight, because its about vampires and werewolves... I dont really like vampires and werewolves...