darkangel787

Eragon vs Twilight?

Which is better: Eragon or Twilight?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would have especially enjoyed the book more had it actually be done from the viewpoint of someone who's life is at stake, rather than a faux-hero who does what he wants out of revenge. For example one of the Varden. Now that would have been interesting. Why would he/she have joined the Varden? Why did the dwarves let the Varden reside in the mountain? What are the tactics of the Varden? How did the different people in the Varden get along(I'm assuming that people are recruited from all over the land)? How does Eragon change the dynamics within the Varden? What was the Varden like before Eragon came? These are all questions that could have been asked and enrich the novel instead of writing it off as a piece of dialogue, patiently explaining away and frustrating the reader. I find that sometimes novels are more enjoyable if you read it from the viewpoint of someone who's not making decisions per se but who participates in the action-possibly because they're the ones who are facing real danger, unlike commanders or nobles who usually only make decisions. Captain Kirk, for example, was a very fun character because he precisely did not act like a normal captain would-a normal captain would just have made decisions and that would have been it.

I actually think that would have made for a nice read.

Actually, I usually write from that POV. I like normal people in my stories.

Never bothered with Twilight. Probably never will. Eragon (and the three other books) were awesome; I can't wait for the next book to come out.

(Just a side note: I don't understand why people fight over the Edward-Jacob thing. tongue.gif

(Just a side note: I don't understand why people fight over the Edward-Jacob thing. tongue.gif

It's basically about the choice which one you would like to bone more. At least that's what I've observed.

I would have especially enjoyed the book more had it actually be done from the viewpoint of someone who's life is at stake, rather than a faux-hero who does what he wants out of revenge. For example one of the Varden. Now that would have been interesting. Why would he/she have joined the Varden? Why did the dwarves let the Varden reside in the mountain? What are the tactics of the Varden? How did the different people in the Varden get along(I'm assuming that people are recruited from all over the land)? How does Eragon change the dynamics within the Varden? What was the Varden like before Eragon came? These are all questions that could have been asked and enrich the novel instead of writing it off as a piece of dialogue, patiently explaining away and frustrating the reader. I find that sometimes novels are more enjoyable if you read it from the viewpoint of someone who's not making decisions per se but who participates in the action-possibly because they're the ones who are facing real danger, unlike commanders or nobles who usually only make decisions. Captain Kirk, for example, was a very fun character because he precisely did not act like a normal captain would-a normal captain would just have made decisions and that would have been it.

I would have liked this book.

Just a quick question, is it ever okay to use purple prose? I plan to have a character in my planned book who talks like that, mainly because he thinks he's a poet and an "arteest", meaning that barely anyone can actually understand what in Hades' name he's going on about. I just thought it would be funny... Or would it just be annoying?

I actually think that would have made for a nice read.

Actually, I usually write from that POV. I like normal people in my stories.

Thanks! I just wrote down all the questions I had while reading Eragon and some of them were those.

Me too. Normal people are so much more fun to write about, as they experience the direct consequences and often have no means to save themselves-thus more creativity is needed to overcome their hardships. "Highborn" characters, or characters with "special powers" can save themselves so easily.

Maybe that's why my characters, if they have too much of a good thing, have an equal hard thing going for them in return. For example, in my story, one of the greatest wizards ever is racially discriminated, and was the offspring of slaves. Another character who has the power to turn back time (but they can't participate at all-meaning they can just watch) is a beggar living in what resembles Victorian England, living next to a factory and getting all the diseases as well (typhus, tuberculosis-you name it).

I think hardships build character-for example, why would the beggar wizard use his powers at all? Using magic in my story takes a chunk out of your health, so unless it was really important, he wouldn't risk his already-fragile health to do so. That makes him one very selfish wizard-and I think that's more likely to happen in real life than some wishy-washy hero who does it for the common good. Just because you don't want to sacrifice your character, or because you identify with the character aren't good excuses for not developing the character into a real person. Look at the difference between Robinson Crusoe and the Swiss family Robinson- one's a telling tale of suffering and accomplishment that in the end shows all the human side of a person, whereas the other one gets a complete boost in everything. Seriously, every time they need something, some other animal or fruit (bears and kangaroos in one island? Reeeeeallly?) comes up to solve the problem. Thus it makes it for a one very long boring read.

It's basically about the choice which one you would like to bone more. At least that's what I've observed.

So true.

Edited by ylangylang

Just a quick question, is it ever okay to use purple prose? I plan to have a character in my planned book who talks like that, mainly because he thinks he's a poet and an "arteest", meaning that barely anyone can actually understand what in Hades' name he's going on about. I just thought it would be funny... Or would it just be annoying?

First of all, thanks! *blush*

I think that if it's done correctly, it would be very funny. Plenty of characters in Shakespeare do that, and I've always found their pretentiousness to be hilarious. Let's face it, making fun of someone who thinks they're so high-and-mighty has always been fun. Why else would comedians make fun of politicians? wink.gif

Edited by ylangylang

Well, I think that if it's done correctly, it would be very funny. Plenty of characters in Shakespeare do that, and I've always found their pretentiousness to be hilarious. Let's face it, making fun of someone who thinks they're so high-and-mighty has always been fun. Why else would comedians make fun of politicians? wink.gif

Funnily enough, he is a politician- one who thinks he's very close to the leader of the city and has sooo much influence, but is too egotistically stupid to realise that his 'friend' is just subtly insulting him and thinks of him as a massive joke.

Funnily enough, he is a politician- one who thinks he's very close to the leader of the city and has sooo much influence, but is too egotistically stupid to realise that his 'friend' is just subtly insulting him and thinks of him as a massive joke.

Now what would actually be funny is if you based a real-life politician off it- for example, G.W Bush.

That would be fine. Actually, it would be a character worth reading. xd.png

Actually, when I refer to the usage of purple prose, I mean as in going through endless flowery descriptions for pages to no end, and certain dialogue options that would seem unthinkable considering time and social status. I saw one in Amazon reviews about Saphira asking Eragon who was eating an apple;

"Is it good? Is it scruptuous (whatever the heck that means)?"

I was; O_O WTF????

Ylang, I so happen to be working right now (only have the sketches so far) on a trilogy about a mage in a world where mages are executed. I won't reveal further on the story but it's all about survival of the fittest and how pressure and persecution can bring a man to do truly evil things.

Character creation is a wonderful thing. I spend most of my time before working on a book creating, first the characters, then the plot, then everything else. I have loadfull of pages on characters only. I try to make them as 3D as possible. People have passions, jealousy, love, hathred, vengeance, and I try to portray that in my books.

I saw one in Amazon reviews about Saphira asking Eragon who was eating an apple;

I was; O_O WTF????

Really? Now I'm wondering why Paolini didn't say that they were actuating the endless firmament every time they were flying.

Ylang, I so happen to be working right now (only have the sketches so far) on a trilogy about a mage in a world where mages are executed. I won't reveal further on the story but it's all about survival of the fittest and how pressure and persecution can bring a man to do truly evil things.

Character creation is a wonderful thing. I spend most of my time before working on a book creating, first the characters, then the plot, then everything else. I have loadfull of pages on characters only. I try to make them as 3D as possible. People have passions, jealousy, love, hathred, vengeance, and I try to portray that in my books.

That sounds lovely, too many books focus on how magic is AWESOME and solve every other problems or people are basically idiots who don't understand me the magic user wank wank.

Yes, it's like living in a whole other universe, isn't it- which is why I think we both try to make our stories and characters as real as possible. I personally hate it when I create a world and a part of that feels fake smile.gif As the saying goes, people are people, and I believe no one's perfect enough to display only lovely/heroic emotions all the time. Hell, even nuns can be pretty scary at times smile.gif same with Buddhist monks smile.gif

BTW: Mary Sue test. I shudder to put Bella into this. http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html

Edited by ylangylang

Really? Now I'm wondering why Paolini didn't say that they were actuating the endless firmament every time they were flying.

Have not read the last book yet. I'm on Dresden Files book 10 and want to get through with it before I buy Song of Ice and Fire, and since I usually buy books in Amazon because they are SO much cheaper than getting them in my country (because of some stupid special tax), I'll get it in that batch and see what the fuss is about. Amazon readers are pretty unhappy with the book xd.png.

That sounds lovely, too many books focus on how magic is AWESOME and solve every other problems or people are basically idiots who don't understand me the magic user wank wank.

Yes, it's like living in a whole other universe, isn't it- which is why I think we both try to make our stories and characters as real as possible. I personally hate it when I create a world and a part of that feels fake smile.gif As the saying goes, people are people, and I believe no one's perfect enough to display only lovely/heroic emotions all the time. Hell, even nuns can be pretty scary at times smile.gif same with Buddhist monks smile.gif

Yes, that's how I view it. I try to have everything making sense, and giving the characters flaws along with their experiences.

Edit; Done the test for all my character. I think the one who got highest got an 18 xd.png.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Yes, that's how I view it. I try to have everything making sense, and giving the characters flaws along with their experiences.

Edit; Done the test for all my character. I think the one who got highest got an 18 xd.png.

Great! I think it's good took take those kinds of tests once in a while, to see if you aren't falling into stereotypical patterns and such.

Yes I did. *evil* Oh, yes I did put Bella though this. *evil* AND GOT 90!! Hrhrhr. xd.png (I tried to be as honest as possible)

Sorry, I'm in a kinda weird mood. But that was fun!

Now all we need is to put Edward into this...and I got...97! Wow.

I must now leave and cleanse myself.

Wonder how much would Eragon get?

Quite a lot, I think. I saw many options that fit him in that test. Not to mention Arya...she's a cardboard character.

I saw one in Amazon reviews about Saphira asking Eragon who was eating an apple;

I was; O_O WTF????

I remember this part, it wasn't an apple, it was some kind of meat, (I forget what) It's reference to Saphira's occasionally needling Eragon about not wanting to eat meat. Idk where they got an apple from that...

((Did I post before?))

Twilight is all about romance, and i'm the kind of person who wants action and more action. They filmed twilight well and the book was okay.

Eragon....the book was awesome! But the movie kind of spoiled it >_< the movie was so bad that they couldn't make another one.

Some people say Eragon isn't well-written, but I haven't really had the time or motivation to actually go back and analyze xd.png. At least in Eragon there are battle scenes and some form of suspense. Also, some of the good guy characters were actually killed in said battle scenes, which is something Stephenie Meyer hasn't managed to do yet.

Twilight=ew. The plot is nothing but "Edward, I love you!" and "Bella, I love you too!", and the fight scenes only come after hundreds and hundreds of pages of that crap. There isn't even that much suspense before the big battles at the end of each book, because we all know that Bella's side won't lose, no one important is going to die, and all that.

I would have voted for Eragon, but I was stupid and assumed the poll asked which one you thought was WORSE, so I accidentally clicked Twilight D: Oh, well. It doesn't matter. Eragon's already way ahead, lol.

Eh, I wasn't really overly fond of either of them.

Some of the main characters in both books really got on my nerves.

Made it til mid-way of the second book for both Twilight and Eragon. >>;;

Eragon failed to draw me in ultimately. The story had promise but the execution of the prose was just not my cup of style tea. The ideas are there but the quality of writing isn't up to par.

Twilight, on the other hand, was like a train rushing towards derailment from the beginning -__- I stopped once that train wrecked itself. I.e. I couldn't take it anymore.

I voted Eragon because, compared to Twilight, it definitely wins out, hands flat down, with regard to plot, cast of characters and world building. However, if you are a-wanting a fantasy read, I feel that there are much better books out there to spend time on instead of Eragon.

Edited by sparkdragon

Made it til mid-way of the second book for both Twilight and Eragon. >>;;

Eragon failed to draw me in ultimately. The story had promise but the execution of the prose was just not my cup of style tea. The ideas are there but the quality of writing isn't up to par.

Twilight, on the other hand, was like a train rushing towards derailment from the beginning -__- I stopped once that train wrecked itself. I.e. I couldn't take it anymore.

I voted Eragon because, compared to Twilight, it definitely wins out, hands flat down, with regard to plot, cast of characters and world building. However, if you are a-wanting a fantasy read, I feel that there are much better books out there to spend time on instead of Eragon.

^This.

Which is why I voted for both are bad. Not equally bad, but from my point of view, they're both bad enough.

Ive read both the Eragon series (but have not gotten my hands on the last one, Inheritance) and the Twilight Series. And i have to say that i liked Eragon wayyyyyyy better than Twilight, although Twilight was okay... i cant await to finish the ERagon series!! biggrin.gif

I actually haven't read Twilight, but that's because Eragon caught my attention, and Twilight didn't.