darkangel787

Eragon vs Twilight?

Which is better: Eragon or Twilight?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It isn't just the sentence, read the whole thing, the whole section is incredibly similar. And the fact that that part isn't the only one where I have seen such similarities adds to the suspicion that it wasn't an accident.

I'm sorry but ripping off so many things and mixing them like that, while horrid and not adviseable, is not plagiarism. As long as it is not the EXACT wording and not all from the same book it is not plagirasim. Still horrid and not adviseable, also rather stupid, though. Eragon rips-off so many things it is original in itself. Which is probably why it wasn't sued.

Basically, it's like writing an informative essay and using one article that's exactly about the subject you're supposed to write and just paraphrasing the whole thing.

The teacher can't ding you for plagiarizing, it's still just terrible and unoriginal.

Gave an internet to CrazyWarGod for this :3 and for his trouble.

Basically, it's like writing an informative essay and using one article that's exactly about the subject you're supposed to write and just paraphrasing the whole thing.

The teacher can't ding you for plagiarizing, it's still just terrible and unoriginal.

Gave an internet to CrazyWarGod for this :3 and for his trouble.

Exactly. NEVER do it. Especially not professional writing. It is just, well, un-professional. Not plagirasim or illegal but highly idiotic.

I give it to eragon though. SO much ripped-off censorkip.gif that it became original in it's own way.

I think Eragon is way better than Twilight. Though, I guess I can't say that for sure since I haven't even opened Twilight once (some has tried to make me read it, but none has succeeded this far). Still, I think Twilight isn't worth my time to read, since I don't think the vampires and werewolves isn't "real"/"normal"/"as they should be".

I've read both and while I'm aware that Twilight is poor writing it has its entertaining moments.

Eragon is so much better than the Twilight series. I'll have to look into it ripping off star wars, I'd never heard about that before. Although I think it's hard to create a completely original fantasy series because so much has been done already.

I was horribly disappointed with the Eragon movie. I didn't even finish it I was so mad about it. At least the Twilight movies are what is to be expected from the series.

I've read both series' and I must say I enjoyed Eragon much more. Although by 'enjoyed' I mean didn't hate almost every single minute of it.

Eragon is just a bit of light fantasy reading, a good way to kill a few afternoons. It doesn't have a very complicated plot, but there are things going on in the book besides Eragon's OVERWHELMING LOVE for that elf chick. I like the series, and am looking forward to the next book. As to Eragon being a total rip off of Star Wars... yeah so? Star Wars themes are universal, cause guess what they are borrowed directly from ancient Greek and Roman stories. I can pick a half dozen books from my library published before Eragon's author was even born that could be called 'copies of Star Wars.'

I didn't even know about Twilight until my Junior year in HS, which would have put it a year in circulation. My friend was reading it, and thought I should TOTALLY read it too 'cause OMG it's so awesome. Meh, I thought it was ridiculous and didn't even finish it.

I remember the exact moment I realized Twilight was turning into something big: I was eating lunch and it was about a month before I graduated HS, I was staring down at my copy of Brave New World willing it to read itself. I overheard some excited freshmen, twittering(like birds, not Tweeting online) about reading Twilight in their English class.

I had to think for a second, 'What's Twilight?' when I remembered what it was, I was suddenly glad I got to read Animal Farm and Heart of Darkness as a freshman. What the hell kind of literary analysis could you make about Twilight? What do they even do? Write essays about why they are Team Edward or Team Jacob?

I've read both series' and I must say I enjoyed Eragon much more. Although by 'enjoyed' I mean didn't hate almost every single minute of it.

Eragon is just a bit of light fantasy reading, a good way to kill a few afternoons. It doesn't have a very complicated plot, but there are things going on in the book besides Eragon's OVERWHELMING LOVE for that elf chick. I like the series, and am looking forward to the next book. As to Eragon being a total rip off of Star Wars... yeah so? Star Wars themes are universal, cause guess what they are borrowed directly from ancient Greek and Roman stories. I can pick a half dozen books from my library published before Eragon's author was even born that could be called 'copies of Star Wars.'

I didn't even know about Twilight until my Junior year in HS, which would have put it a year in circulation. My friend was reading it, and thought I should TOTALLY read it too 'cause OMG it's so awesome. Meh, I thought it was ridiculous and didn't even finish it.

I remember the exact moment I realized Twilight was turning into something big: I was eating lunch and it was about a month before I graduated HS, I was staring down at my copy of Brave New World willing it to read itself. I overheard some excited freshmen, twittering(like birds, not Tweeting online) about reading Twilight in their English class.

I had to think for a second, 'What's Twilight?' when I remembered what it was, I was suddenly glad I got to read Animal Farm and Heart of Darkness as a freshman. What the hell kind of literary analysis could you make about Twilight? What do they even do? Write essays about why they are Team Edward or Team Jacob?

I have to agree with everything in this post.

I hated animal farm but reading twilight? I would rather start studying the holochast again. If I went to that school I would ask WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!

I love the Inheritance Cycle!

Screw Twilight. It kills Braincells.

That ^^

Even if I did like Animal Farm.

Why do allthe characters talk the same? Either a farm boy talks like a king, or a king talks like a farm boy? :/

Twilight was just too...clingy? Over dramatic. Eragon just felt like it was practically repeating others but at least it I could read it without feeling the need to demolish the book.

Like I've said before in a different topic, I had a span of time when I was addicted to the Twilight series... NEVAR. AGAIN. Not to hate on Meyers or anything, I don't think she's undeserving of her fame. Just noooot the book for me, especially being a person who doesn't like romance media. Not sure how this book got my attention before. xd.png

But yeah, definitely Eragon. Although would someone PLEASE explain to me how this series relates to the Star Wars and LOTR series? I've never read Star Wars, but I read LOTR, I just don't understand what the big rip-off is. The writing style? blink.gif

Nevertheless, the Inheritance Cycle is one of my favorite book series. :3 I prefer my fantasy novels to be generally easy to read, thank you. Like this series and Harry Potter and such. X3

Eragon is ten times better then twilight. There is no denying that Eragon has some rough spots, but thats ok, it is the authors first books series. Twilight on the other hand is just a book where women can put themselves into the plot. There is a reason the main character is not well described. It is terribly written, with so many mistakes. The plot sucks, and there are shiny vamps enough said.

Eragon is ten times better then twilight. There is no denying that Eragon has some rough spots, but thats ok, it is the authors first books series. Twilight on the other hand is just a book where women can put themselves into the plot. There is a reason the main character is not well described. It is terribly written, with so many mistakes. The plot sucks, and there are shiny vamps enough said.

Twilight was also Meyer's first series. If you're going to give Paolini a pass on the 'Its his first try' excuse, you gotta give Meyer the same credit.

I'm not terribly impressed with Meyer's choice to create a character designed to have the reader insert themselves into her place, but she did achieve what she was going for. That's evidenced by the countless fans that find Bella Swan so easy to relate to.

They've both got the compulsion to use big scholarly words at inappropriate times though. It's a lot easier to see that Meyer's writing leaves a lot to be desired because it's got some pretty ridiculous elements (like sparkling vampires), but Paolini's not that great either...

Alpha Gryph - I'll look up one of the breakdowns of Star Wars's plot v. Eragon's plot for you. It's kind of funny, actually. Not quite as bad as Avatar v. Pocahontas, but pretty close.

ETA: Okay. Here's the Eragon/Star Wars Breakdown.

Story opens with a princess (Arya/Leia) smuggling something valuable (dragon egg/Death Star plans) that was stolen from the Empire. Arya/Leia transports the egg/plans away (magic/escape pod) before being captured by the evil Emperor's right hand man (Durza/Darth Vader).

Enter the unassuming farm-boy who will eventually save the world: Eragon/Luke, abandoned/orphaned as an infant and raised on his uncle's farm. Eragon/Luke happen upon the egg/plans by accident. He eventually goes to the strange old man (Brom/Obi-wan) who is secretly a member of an ancient order (Riders/Jedi) for advice/information about the valuable thing.

Soon agents of the Empire ransack Eragon's/Luke's farm, kill his uncle and burn the place to the ground. Eragon/Luke flees with Brom/Obi-wan before the Empire can capture them. Brom/Obi-wan reveals that Eragon's/Luke's father was also a member of the Riders/Jedi, and bequeaths his sword/light-saber upon him. Brom/Obi-wan then begins to educate Eragon/Luke in the ways of the Riders/Jedi, teaching him swordplay and magic/the Force.

Eragon/Luke meets an outlaw of sorts, (Murtagh/Han Solo) who helps him to rescue Princess Arya/Leia. The Empire kills Brom/Obi-wan. Eragon/Luke, Murtagh/Han and Arya/Leia flee to the Varden/Rebel base. Eragon/Luke decides to take up arms with the Varden/Rebels against the Empire in the coming battle. During the course of the battle, it falls to Eragon/Luke to finish Durza/the Death Star. It seems that Eragon/Luke is going to fail, when suddenly Arya and Saphira/Han in the Millennium Falcon provides a distraction allowing Eragon/Luke to get in the killing blow.

Next installment!

Eragon/Luke leaves the Varden/Rebels in order to complete his Rider/Jedi training. He travels to the hidden elf city/remote swamp planet to find the master of the Riders/Jedi, who has been in hiding since the fall of the Riders/Jedi, to train him. Eragon/Luke locates the ancient and dying master, Oromis/Yoda, and begins his training in earnest. While only part of the way through his training, Eragon/Luke learns that his Varden/Rebel friends are in trouble. He leaves Oromis/Yoda, promising to return and complete his training some day.

Eragon/Luke runs off to help his friends, and is met with another Rider/Jedi. The Rider/Jedi pretty well owns Eragon/Luke in swordplay and use of magic/the Force, before going on a rant about how the dark side is so much more powerful, and how Eragon/Luke should join the Empire. Oh, btw, this Rider/Jedi also happens to be Eragon's/Luke's brother/father. And so it is revealed that Eragon's/Luke's father was the Rider/Jedi responsible for betraying their order to its downfall.

Yeah. Some people say that it's just both stories working through the Hero's Journey, but with them being this similar, it doesn't surprise me that Eragon's been called "Star Wars by way of Lord of the Rings."

Edited by Stromboli

Stromboli that was so funny! I always knew Star Wars and Eragon were similar, but was never told HOW similar.

I have never read the Twilight or the Eragon books, they just don't sound like something I would want to read. Dragons are more to my liking then vampires, so I would have to say Eragon. It is interesting reading what others have to say about the books.

Voted for the third option...

The only thing I liked about Eragon was the prologue. Because Arya turned out to be my least favourite character later, and Durza to be the most. Speaking of which, I wanted to burn the book when that <>$ß>> killed him. And started to hate Arya even more. dry.gif But that's just personal tendency to love the evil characters who are most likely going to die, ignore me. The thing I hated the most, besides the dramatic final fight obvious-win-for-the-good-guy scene, was the plot (Stromboli's summary covers it up), and the writing style. The age he wrote it at... really shows. Yeah, it's pretty unusual to write such a famous book in 15; but I prefer reading books by older, more experienced authors, rather than appreciate the fact the author wrote it at such a young age. *pretends that her age isn't in the profile at all*

This was just commenting at the first book, for I just didn't want to read the others. Reason?

Me: "Oh hell, there's this third part of Eragon. Maybe I'll take a look." *opens at a random page*

Book: "... ...Eragon Shadeslayer..."

Me: "And maybe not." *puts it back*

Just explaining. biggrin.gif

Also, there was something about the book getting you into the story and holding you in there until you finish reading. Well... Maybe it's just us, but I was at my friend's. We were talking about random things and so we got to books and her bookcase. She took out Eldest and said, "Hey, why do I have that bookmark here? Guess I've been reading it... Weird." Lol'd hard.

I shouldn't comment on the Eragon movie since I didn't have the courage to watch it, but really... According to what I heard, they left out the Twins, Solembum, Orik (not sure, but I think I heard it somewhere) and pretty much all the characters whom I liked at least a bit. And according to the images I saw, Arya was blonde there (lol, did they skip the descriptions? I did, but only after reading the first one), and Saphira had feathered wings (seriously? xd.png).

</rant> Just had to write it down. Sorry. biggrin.gif

About Twilight, I won't comment because I wasn't brave enough to read, just like with the Eragon movie. But I saw these fangirls and I heard of the weird sparkling creatures they call vampires. I think that if these fangirls met Dracula for real, they'd have a trauma for life. xd.png Also, I remember Twilight being called a romantic horror. WHAT? That exists? This was the first thing to keep me from the books and movies.

So, again, third option, for I didn't like either.

Edited by Orlageddon

I have never read Eragon, but I read Twilight.

Let's just say that I really wish Edward would at least get sunburn from being out in sunlight. And then die.

That'll teach him to be a sparkling EXTREMELY tsundere being.

Wait, was that description that the same for Bella, replacing 'he'?

Eh. Probably is.

However, as much of a copy as it may be, I'd still prefer Eragon.

Edited by Kandycat

meh about equal

twilight: every single book: bella or edward tries to get themselves killed, they end up saved, and they kiss.

Eragon: dododo travel, dododo death, dododo galbatorix, dododo magic lessons, dododo tragedy, dododo let's kill galbatorix

i liked eragon slightly better though, cause it had a lot of funny parts

Eragon! Though I still have to read the last book.

Anyone seen the movie?

I did, it was the funniest thing I've ever seen xd.png I did get a rather pretty pin from it though, wish I still had it...

the eragon movie kinda made me go "WATTTT???"

cause really, who has time in the midst of a battle to go yell at their friend "now we're even" cause i just saved you from being kicked like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx miles. secondly, they missed so much of the good stuff, and some things happened that i was like............ really........ i watched this a few years ago, so i don't really rememebr

the eragon movie kinda made me go "WATTTT???"

cause really, who has time in the midst of a battle to go yell at their friend "now we're even" cause i just saved you from being kicked like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx miles. secondly, they missed so much of the good stuff, and some things happened that i was like............ really........ i watched this a few years ago, so i don't really rememebr

Eh, it was better than the book.

Considerably. At least the movie fell soundly into 'so bad it's good', the book was just 'so bad it's horrible'.