Tango

Update stripe breeding

Currently there are many dragons that prouduce a white stripe during breeding, which I think would suit a coloured stripe more. Many of these are not exactly blue, red or black but there are dragons that are not exactly blue, red or black that do produced coloured stripes. Here's a list:

Dragons that produce black stripes while not being entirely black:

user posted image Storm. (Grey with some black)

user posted image Golden wyvern. (Golden, has black wings)

user posted image Seragamma wyvern (Brown, has small amount of black)

user posted image Swallowtail. (Grey, they also produce blues which makes more sense)

Dragons that produce blue stripes while not being entirley blue:

user posted image Falconiform Wyvern (Produce blacks the majority of the time, have some blue)

user posted image (teal)

Dragons that produce red stripes while not entirely red:

user posted image Cassare (Orange)

user posted image Bright breasted wyvern (Green with some red, talso breed green stripes)

user posted image Brown lunar herald (Brown)

user posted image Winter magi (Mostly white, has some red)

user posted image Brute(Mostly dark purple, has some red)

user posted imageuser posted image Red and brown coppers (Although named red, are brown with tinted red)

user posted image Orange pyralspite (orange, all pyralspite dragons breed red)

user posted image Red finned tidal (Mostly blue, has prominent red)

user posted image Thalassa (Pink)

Dragons that produce green stripes while not being entirley green:

user posted image (Mostly white, some green)

According to the dragons that DO breed these colours; brown, orange, dragons with a large red area and pink dragons should produce red stripes. Very dark dragons, grey dragons and dragons with a large portion of black on their bodies should produce blacks.

Rather than remove these odd dragons I think we should extend what colours breed coloured stripes, and it gives more options for interesting lineages. Note that some dragons produce two coloured stripes, that can be an option. Also, to avoid messy up any lineages with white stripes. All stripe breedings could have the option to breed a white stripe, similar to how arias breed regular pinks.

----------------------------------------------

ALTERNATIVELY, we could have updated stripe colours (A brown stripe, a pink stripe ect) Here's other versions of stripes

And then when we settled on the colour base/gold stripe I whipped up one for every major colour in the cave at the time. I tried to stay relatively close to the original colours in most cases (This was when purple was the only purple) except on Pink. XP

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

(Thanks olympe for finding them!) Edited by Tango

These are the suggested dragons to breed coloured stripes, based on the colours that do breed coloured stripes.

Pink, brown, orange and dragons with a large portion of red now breed RED stripes:

user posted image Black tea (Pink, could also breed black for the same reason golden wyverns breed black)

user posted image Candelabra (Reddish brown, supported by sprite artist! Were not sure what colour they do breed though)

user posted image Flamingo (Pink)

user posted image Sunset (Large portion of red)

user posted image Aria (pink)

user posted image Magi(orange)

user posted image Magma(orange)

user posted image Autumn (Brown, did you know autumns are the only seasonal not to produce a colour?)

user posted image Seregamma (brown)

user posted image Whiptail (brown)

user posted image Mageia (orange)

user posted image Pyro (Brown)

Teal, purple, light blue and dragons with a large portion of blue now breed BLUE stripes:

user posted image Coastal Waverunner (Greyish blue)

user posted imageMoonstone (Light blue)

user posted image Sunset(Blueish purple)

user posted image Thunder (May be purple, I say its blue)

user posted image Soulpeace (Light blue)

user posted image Red finned tidal (Teal)

user posted image Deep sea (Dark greyish blue)

user posted image Electric (Concept art shows it IS blue, just a dark shade)

Grey, very dark dragons and dragons with a large portion of black now breed BLACK stripes:

user posted image Brute (Very dark colour)

user posted image Deep sea (Very dark)

user posted imageSpotted Greenwing (Very dark colour)

user posted image Stone (Grey)

And a separate issue: dragons that are green but don't breed green stripes:

user posted image Gold horned tangar

user posted image Water walker

There are quite a few debatable things to discuss with this topic. Should we add more stripes or widen the colours that breed coloured stripes? If we widen - what colours would purple or yellow create? Are there dragons on this list you think should be removed, or dragons that should be added?

Edited by Tango

The problem is, any changes to this system would mess up any in progress stripe lineages with the dragons in question.

I agree that they don't necessarily make sense, but I think the harm it would cause would outweigh the benefit.

(deep sea makes more sense to breed blue stripes than black. They're blue dragons and don't have any black on them)

If the dragon breeds produce default white striped offspring, I wouldn't mind their colors being changed to start producing the other colors. Something like that happened when black stripes were introduced.

I don't like the idea however of reassigning the breeds that produce non-white stripes.

I'd like to see this, honestly. I've awaited the moment a Thunder produced a Blue Stripe. It would be so beautiful...

But it also hinders the people who are already creating lineages with the White Stripes produced by these breeds--Thunders are so popular with White Stripe checkers!

I guess I'm on the fence. On one hand, I'd love it. On the other, it would make a lot of people angry and upset because they can't continue their lineages.

Perhaps instead of replacing the current White Stripes, they could produce White in addition to a new, more logical color as well?

For example, instead of Flamingos producing only Whites like they currently do, they could produce both Whites and Reds. That wouldn't make current lineages impossible to continue, as people could still get White Stripes from that pairing and it would increase lineage possibilities by adding another Stripe color (Red).

I remember being disappointed when I couldn't breed Red Stripes from Flamingos, actually. xd.png I personally love dragons that produce multiple Stripe colors, like BBWs and Nocturnes. Maybe people like the certainty of only one possible color, though. What do everyone else think?

Perhaps instead of replacing the current White Stripes, they could produce White in addition to a new, more logical color as well?

For example, instead of Flamingos producing only Whites like they currently do, they could produce both Whites and Reds. That wouldn't make current lineages impossible to continue, as people could still get White Stripes from that pairing and it would increase lineage possibilities by adding another Stripe color (Red).

This is one idea that could work, however this kind of change hasn't been unheard of. Blue gemshards used to produce red stripes, and red gemshards would produce blue stripes. This was an unintended glitch but I believe it was fixed, so if by any chance someone was working on that lineage - they can't now.

Added deep sea to blue stripe as well, but I don't think it looks that blue.

I support if it's implemented like this! I would like to see much more variety in coloured stripe offspring, particularly with the breeds in the first post that could very easily produce stripes of the same colour. However, I don't want this to ruin lineages - I think it would be a nice compromise if the "proper" colour was added as a possibility, but white stripes remained an alternate possibility. This lets white stripe lineages continue without getting ruined, but adds a lot of other lineage options that make a bit more sense given a dragons colour scheme.

Wait, how do Candlebras make red stripes? I think the current cofiguration would make more sense in this case. If there were a yellow stripe, then sure, but White is the closest to yellow here.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Wait, how do Candlebras make red stripes? I think the current cofiguration would make more sense in this case. If there were a yellow stripe, then sure, but White is the closest to yellow here.

They're kind of reddish brown. They're not totally red but they're more red than brown lunar heralds. If this were implemented the first choice would have to be to remove the dragons that breed a colour that they aren't (Like brown lunars breeding reds) or to extend what colours can breed red stripes. So in one scenario we remove cassares and brown lunars, and in the other we keep them and add orange and brown dragons to the dragons that can breed reds.

The problem is, any changes to this system would mess up any in progress stripe lineages with the dragons in question.

I agree that they don't necessarily make sense, but I think the harm it would cause would outweigh the benefit.

(deep sea makes more sense to breed blue stripes than black. They're blue dragons and don't have any black on them)

THIS. (We lineage breeders would be VERY upset if things changed at this point sad.gif)

The ONLY way it could work retroactively would be to ADD a colour - so that some dragons might produce either one.

Considering that many stripe breeding results have been changed, I don't really see why not. I sure remember when black stripes were added, and there was hardly any drama at all. I also remember how some default-white-breedings got changed to a colored stripe result. (I still have one white stripe bred from a ribbon dancer to prove that it did happen.)

However, regarding the list: Thunders and sunsets are predominantly purple, so they really shouldn't be able to breed blue stripes. And sapphires are a strange color between blue and green (lovely, but neither fish nor fowl, really) with lots of red on them. Which means that they shouldn't be on the blue list exclusively, but also for green and red - or none at all.

Heartseekers already breed red stripes. See?

That being said, I'm still all for adding purple stripes, brown stripes (also good for a result of breeding an orange dragon with a stripe) and magenta/bright pink stripes (for pinks and the like). Teal doesn't look too bad, either, if done right. But I said that 5 or so years ago, and again when the black stripes were introduced, and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Edited by olympe

I'd be more inclined to see added a few colours such as purple and orange. Then people could make themselves pride lineages :3

Considering that many stripe breeding results have been changed, I don't really see why not. I sure remember when black stripes were added, and there was hardly any drama at all. I also remember how some default-white-breedings got changed to a colored stripe result. (I still have one white stripe bred from a ribbon dancer to prove that it did happen.)

However, regarding the list: Thunders and sunsets are predominantly purple, so they really shouldn't be able to breed blue stripes. And sapphires are a strange color between blue and green (lovely, but neither fish nor fowl, really) with lots of red on them. Which means that they shouldn't be on the blue list exclusively, but also for green and red - or none at all.

Heartseekers already breed red stripes. See?

That being said, I'm still all for adding purple stripes, brown stripes (also good for a result of breeding an orange dragon with a stripe) and magenta/bright pink stripes (for pinks and the like). Teal doesn't look too bad, either, if done right. But I said that 5 or so years ago, and again when the black stripes were introduced, and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Removed heartseeker, I got my info from the wiki so it might not all be up to date. Do heartstealers also breed red?

Also sunrises are a bit iffy, but thunders are definitely blue. Indigo if pushing it, but they match the blue stripe more than any other dragon: Example (Indigo lunar heralds breed blues too)

Adding more stripes would work, but it'd be more effort from Tj. We'd have to get the original spriters permission too, and their last post was 2012. :/

I think it might work better to extend what colours come out of what dragons. Red, brown, orange could all produce red stripes for example. And then we wouldn't have to remove the brown dragons that already produce reds.

Edited by Tango

Don't think I want there to be any new stripe colors, 5 is already a lot.

I'm totally fine with some switching about, a few old lineages would end up being weird but irl creatures evolve all the time.

One dragon you didn't put, Electrics currently breed white stripes. Electrics look much more black than white to me.

Removed heartseeker, I got my info from the wiki so it might not all be up to date. Do heartstealers also breed red?

Just tested that - yes, they do.

Added electric to blue and black since it's very dark but it is blue. Thanks for giving me the info on heartstealers and heartseekers!

By the way, I think Sunsets should breed red stripes. Look at all the red on their wings! They are aleo purpley. Purple is red and blue mixed together. Also, according to the art permissions thread, if a spriter fails to reply within 30 days, they automatically grant permission for you to do what you aked to.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

As the Candelabra artist, I would support Candelabras producing Red Stripes, since their body color was intended to be a burgundy/maroon tone (though it admittedly looks brown on some monitors), but I wouldn't be too bothered if they continue to produce whatever they produce right now.

I would rather leave brutes as-is. To me, they are purple with red accents. Nothing about that is black. I also don't think the electric should be with blue. Black, yes, blue no.

As someone who mostly only purebreeds stripes I don't usually care what color they breed with what. But adding more stripe colors would be a headache. It's already tough to get a pair of each color from each pair.

I would feel bad for people with existing lineage pairs if you change what color egg breeds from dragons though. Adding a color wouldn't be so bad though.

As the Candelabra artist, I would support Candelabras producing Red Stripes, since their body color was intended to be a burgundy/maroon tone (though it admittedly looks brown on some monitors), but I wouldn't be too bothered if they continue to produce whatever they produce right now.

Which is - what ? I just tested and got all candelabras...

I also don't think the electric should be with blue.  Black, yes, blue no.

Actually, this discussion has come up before, and TJ himself pointed out that electrics are more blue than grey (ineed they are, even if they don't look the part) and thus belong in the blue stripe breeding group.

Edited by olympe