Tango

Update stripe breeding

Well, the orange is as bright as it is because each single orange shade for the body (not the markings) is taken from the magi dragon. Most shades of the brown stripe, in turn, are taken from the whiptail. (The lighter shades have been changed slightly, though. Please bear in mind that I'm talking about the *old* whiptail sprite, not the new one.)

Can I ask you guys to please please please pick no more than two added stripe colors? As it is breeding purebred stripes and trying to get the color you are looking for is frustrating. Adding a bunch of new colors will just make it impossible. There are those of us who really like breeding purebred stripes in patterns and it really is not a nice idea to make that not virtually attainable.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Remember, we do have two options. If we added colours it could be colours that can't fit into the blue, red, green or black categories. I agree that having purebred stripes breed 7+ colours would be too much.

Well, I'd like to have at least three to cover everything: brown, orange (also for mostly yellow-colored dragons) and a blend between pink and purple (for parents of both colors). Mostly teal-colored dragons could then either breed blue or green, either depending on their shade or at random.

I think pink stripes and brown stripes should be implemented into the cave first. I also think that stripes should breed more than one color stripe when bred with a multicolored dragon such as sapphire dragons and electric dragons.

I'm not sure I understand Tango's comment entirely. However, if you're thinking "maybe purebred stripes can't produce XYZ colors, only breeding with other breeds" that is patently unfair. If a color can be bred it needs to be also available to pure breeders.

On the other hand having stripes able to produce 8 different colors when purebred is going to make pure breeding stripe colors a nightmare.

What is so wrong, after all, with having pinks, purples, etc. breed white stripes? We don't really need to have a color of stripe to cover every single color of in-cave dragon. White is nice. We have white, red, green, blue and black. Adding orange or purple, yes. Those fall into the secondary color range, into the rainbow range. Straying further from the primary colors just seems too much to me.

I'm not opposed to one or two new colors of stripes. Really, two more is pushing it, but I could live with it. Adding three or more seems as if it's getting too specific.

On the other hand having stripes able to produce 8 different colors when purebred is going to make pure breeding stripe colors a nightmare

This is exactly what I meant.

Personally I'm still on the side of widening the colours that breed coloured stripes. The only real problem is yellows, and they could just breed whites. Browns, pinks and orange already breed reds. Purple could easily breed blue.

This is my list of the perfect stripes.. new and old colors included..

Black

Red

Orange*

Yellow*

Green

Blue

Purple*

Pink*

White

If we're going to have most of a rainbow, why not have all of them? I'd probably even do ANOTHER 10 gen even gen project. The first project took me 5 yrs to complete, but I'd do it again if we got new colors.

*hugs Tango* - yes, we're exactly on the same page then.

As am I. I have just started a project a bit like Cinn's, and the idea of loads more colours makes me feel rather ill. There are so many new dragons lined up waiting and I'd rather see some of those showing up.

While i wouldn't mind more Stripe colors (quite the opposite, really), I think that the only ones really needed would be an orange-yellow and purple-pink (or a dark, cool-toned pink). And even that would be pushing it for people making purebred lines, since the offspring color for PB Stripes is completely random.

I have an inbred Stripe line in progress, and getting the correct color for each gen is already pretty difficult. Adding more than two colors would be too much to manage for people going for more complex patterns.

Question: if we were to theoretically add purplish-pink stripes (and not just each color), would this color be appropriate for what we have in the cave?

Personally, I'm addicted to StripexStripe breeding and would love to see many more possibilities, but if it is indeed a problem to make more than 2 new ones, that color may be perfect.

While i wouldn't mind more Stripe colors (quite the opposite, really), I think that the only ones really needed would be an orange-yellow and purple-pink (or a dark, cool-toned pink). And even that would be pushing it for people making purebred lines, since the offspring color for PB Stripes is completely random.

I have an inbred Stripe line in progress, and getting the correct color for each gen is already pretty difficult. Adding more than two colors would be too much to manage for people going for more complex patterns.

The general problem with a yellow or orangish-yellow Stripe is that the stripes would barely be visible, unless we were to change the color of said stripes.

I'd think it'd have to be a dark yellow or dark orange.

Edited by DarkShinyLugia

Instead, an orange/brown-ish or just orange stripe would work nicely. It could be defined as being bred from mostly orange, mostly yellow and/or mostly "brown" breeds. (Considering that most "browns" are either dark yellow or dark orange, this isn't much of a stretch.) After all, black stripes can also be bred from mostly grey parents (storms...).

The 2nd color I'd really like to see is indeed in the pink/purple - or, rather, magenta/purple range. A reddish purple could work for offspring of mostly pink, mostly magenta and mostly purple dragons.

Considering how many different shades of mostly blue dragons breed (dark) blue stripes and how many different shades of mostly green dragons breed (dark) green stripes, I think that's only reasonable.

With a bit of searching, I found Vicat's post about her other colored stripes, which can be found here. Since some of them have stripes in colors other than yellow/orange, I'll only repost those that match the current set of stripes.

And then when we settled on the colour base/gold stripe I whipped up one for every major colour in the cave at the time. I tried to stay relatively close to the original colours in most cases (This was when purple was the only purple) except on Pink. XP

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Of course, the purple might need some darkening to be more in accord with most purple-colored breeds. (Plus, it would look better because there'd be more contrast.)

Teal is still missing, though.

I love both the orange and the brown stripe - even though brown is far from my favorite color, but the striping is just so vibrant on the dragon...

Since Vicats has a strict policy about not allowing any recolors of her art, we'd probably have to ask her to do the edits or ask her to give permission to an artist of her choice or whatever else works for her, because there are a number of other colors that look pretty good on stripes.

I experimented with already existing color pallettes on striped dragons, and found out the following:

pink/magenta: male aria (body color). Looks pretty stunning. The colors from the Almandine look too red on the striped dragon (more like burgundy), and the pallette of the Val '09 makes for a salmon-like color on the stripe. Arsani makes for a pink slightly skewed towards orange, but it's still noticeably pink. Depending on where you start with the (too big) sunrise pallette, you'll get either a nice pale pink or a less pale pink with a touch of purple in it.

purple: Horse dragon pallette, although it might need some lightening and more contrast, since it looks a little dark and flat on the striped dragonsw. Sunset looks good, too, but is too close to the blue stripe IMHO. Using the middle part of the sunsong pallette, you'll get a nice blend of pale pink and purple, which would be a good choice for both colors.

teal: The chrono pallette makes for a nice, shiny blue-ish teal on the striped dragon. Equally shiny, but more tinted towards green is the sapphire's pallette. Less shiny - and thus more in keeping with the other stripe colors - are the pallettes of the undine (greenish), greenwing spots/wing membranes (dark, greenish teal) or the mistletoe wings (slightly desaturated blue-ish teal). Mint doesn't work, as it is way too green. (Shifting the mint's pallette slightly towards blue gives you a vibrant shade of light teal, though.)

light blue: I only tried the waterhorse pallette - and found it perfect.

lime / light green: Gold-horned tangar colors make for a vibrant, lime-colored stripe. It might be a bit of an eye-burner for some people, though. The gaia's pallette might be a good alternative in this case. I'm not a fan of the mistletoe's pallette on stripes, as it looks too desaturated.

yellow: Probably the hardest color, since the stripes themselves are yellow-orange. I tried the gold dragon's pallette and shifted the stripes more towards orange, which looks pretty decent. Only the darkest shade might need adjusting to make the shadows less pronounced. Harvest, GW and gold shimmer didn't really work out for this. :/

Vicats hasn't posted on DC since 2012, we'll probably be relying on this

If we were to update the stripes, I'll send Vicats a PM and a message on deviantart and see if I get a reply. In the meantime I'm also going to update the frist post with more bronze, orange, pink and teal dragons if I can find any.

i would like to have more stripe colours incave