RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Some stores will 'buy' gift cards from other stores in exchange for one of their own, for a fee. I know GameStop does it, and I -think- there's websites dedicated to that sort of thing. Don't know for certain about any other stores, though.

I think I'll just pass it on to either my contractor friend or another who is out of work right now and does woodworking on the side. He can use it so he can make things to help pay bills.

A have a health related question that I hope someone could answer.

I swam in a lake with murky water (I think it was brown with a bit of red) and it wasn't until some time later that I noticed a sign that said something like "No swimming: Algae bloom". I didn't have any noticeable symptoms later in the day (rashes, nausea, etc.) and I don't recall drinking any but it's possible a small amount got in my mouth while going under. Are there any long term effects that can go unnoticed or should I not worry? This happened quite a while ago but I'm a pretty anxious person and I still worry about it sometimes.

Edited by Booo

Doubtful.

I think those algae blooms usually give a skin rash as an effect. smile.gif. And if you didn't get the ultimate stomach cramps and need for the restroom a day or so after, you passed the gut issues with flying colors.

Congratulations! You're healthy!

Before i say my post, wanna say if this was the wrong section . . .

Just recently got back into youtube, starting off from the start once again.

I need some of your ideas guys, what kind of videos i need to upload or just suggest.

If you're going to suggest, being specific will help greatly.

Thanks guys, once again, sorry if this was on the wrong section D:

I don't feel like eating AT ALL if I'm honest, I've no appetite and feel a little nauseous but I haven't eaten properly in about 3-4 days so should eat something. I've no food in my home too il to go out so it'll have to be a take away...just wondering what would help. Does anyone know? Is chicken soup a myth?

BRAT diet.....Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast. Keep everything really bland. Chicken broth. Try to stay hydrated and drink a lot. I usually go with lemon lime Gatorade and mix it half and half with water.....this will help keep your electrolytes up.

You're welcome and thank you.....I can't remember where I found it but I have had it for years. I can't find the one of it I added some color to. Anyway, get better soon. Staying hydrated is the most important thing. I have a 6 year old that has been sick so we've been going through the same deal.

Your avatar is like wide eyes and innocent then goes all dark and sinister lol.

I've been drinking water all day. I get sooooooooooooooooooo thirsty when I get a cold. I don't know if you do too.

Just ordered chicken soup, plain boiled rice and a very bland vegetarian vegetable mix from the Chinese plus banana fritters. Should be ok with that: fingers crossed.

Chinese food usually has a -lot- of additives with the exception of the plain white rice. Also, aren't fritters a desert type thing? You really need to go out and get the unadulterated stuff.

Tried eating it now and felt quite sick, hadn't much choice though as no food in house and too ill to go out, aches and pains, dizziness ect. Put leftovers in the fridge.

Right so is there anybody on here who knows anything about chemistry at all, because I've been studying for 8 hours or so, my brain hurts and I'm apparently at my wits' end when I'm supposed to do this godforsaken lab report on top of that.

This crap is due freaking Friday along with one other report I haven't even started and I have no clue what to do T_T

I thought I understood equilibria pretty well but apparently I get nothing that is going on here.

So I have a system in equilibrium: C(s) + H2O(g) -> CO(g) + H2(g). According to this computer simulation, I initially put in 0.0500 mol of each reagent in a 10.0L chamber, heated it to 1000K (which remains constant throughout as does the volume), and let the system settle. The equilibrium amounts turn out to be 0.0093 mol for carbon & water (left side), and 0.0907 mol for carbon monoxide and hydrogen (right side). So I think it's pretty obvious that reactants products (scuse my confused self) are favored at equilibrium, no? There's way more of them? So WHY on EARTH does my equilibrium constant keep coming up as 0.088 or so?? Am I getting this whole concept completely wrong? ;_;

It's a heterogeneous equilibrium right? Carbon is a solid which means it doesn't really have a concentration for me to work with, so I just left it out of the Kc expression. (Every single source including my textbook says so.) Which then gives me Kc = [CO][H2]/[H2O]. If I plug in the moles divided by the liters it keeps giving me a Kc < 1 which would suggest that reactants are favored which is not the case? or is it? I just???

Do I keep the carbon after all? But that makes no sense D: How does this even work?

I know I should probably just ask my teacher (which I hope to do tomorrow) but I'm seriously desperate by this point

I'm so out of it I think I failed at English at the start

OOPS - and not only English but straight up reactant/product mixup, thanks, Sock! I have no idea what happened there xd.png

Edited by Orlageddon

Right so is there anybody on here who knows anything about chemistry at all, because I've been studying for 8 hours or so, my brain hurts and I'm apparently at my wits' end when I'm supposed to do this godforsaken lab report on top of that.

This crap is due freaking Friday along with one other report I haven't even started and I have no clue what to do T_T

I thought I understood equilibria pretty well but apparently I get nothing that is going on here.

So I have a system in equilibrium: C(s) + H2O(g) -> CO(g) + H2(g). According to this computer simulation, I initially put in 0.0500 mol of each reagent in a 10.0L chamber, heated it to 1000K (which remains constant throughout as does the volume), and let the system settle. The equilibrium amounts turn out to be 0.0093 mol for carbon & water (left side), and 0.0907 mol for carbon monoxide and hydrogen (right side). So I think it's pretty obvious that reactants are favored at equilibrium, no? There's way more of them? So WHY on EARTH does my equilibrium constant keep coming up as 0.088 or so?? Am I getting this whole concept completely wrong? ;_;

It's a heterogeneous equilibrium right? Carbon is a solid which means it doesn't really have a concentration for me to work with, so I just left it out of the Kc expression. (Every single source including my textbook says so.) Which then gives me Kc = [CO][H2]/[H2O]. If I plug in the moles divided by the liters it keeps giving me a Kc < 1 which would suggest that reactants are favored which is not the case? or is it? I just???

Do I keep the carbon after all? But that makes no sense D: How does this even work?

I know I should probably just ask my teacher (which I hope to do tomorrow) but I'm seriously desperate by this point

I'm so out of it I think I failed at English at the start xd.png

It looks to me like you're favouring products at equilibrium by an order of magnitude. I get 0.088 too the way you're doing it, which you're right, doesn't fit the actual concentrations, unless you consider that solids are treated as having a concentration of 1 (hence you can ignore it in multiplication and division) and 1+0.0093 is bigger than 2x 0.0907.

I'm really not sure though :/ It doesn't seem a very informative way to do things - of course it'll tell you reactants are favoured if you're arbitrarily declaring one of them to have a concentration of one.

Depending on the reasonableness of your teacher and the seriousness of the exercise, put both answers (I think the other is like 95?) with explanations as to why one might calculate it either way and what one would infer from each?

So I have a system in equilibrium: C(s) + H2O(g) -> CO(g) + H2(g). According to this computer simulation, I initially put in 0.0500 mol of each reagent in a 10.0L chamber, heated it to 1000K (which remains constant throughout as does the volume), and let the system settle. The equilibrium amounts turn out to be 0.0093 mol for carbon & water (left side), and 0.0907 mol for carbon monoxide and hydrogen (right side). So I think it's pretty obvious that reactants are favored at equilibrium, no? There's way more of them? So WHY on EARTH does my equilibrium constant keep coming up as 0.088 or so?? Am I getting this whole concept completely wrong? ;_;

I'm so out of it I think I failed at English at the start xd.png

The theory in your post is sound. I agree with your thought process and conclusions. (Isn't carbon and hydrogen your reactants, though - second paragraph, fifth sentence? Or am I answering this too soon after waking up?)

I'm wondering if you you shouldn't be doing 0.0907/0.0093 (ignoring L because AFAIK everything is 10, so that's just going to cancel out) which will be ~9, which would agree that the system favors the products. If you're using original concentrations, though, shouldn't it be 0.0907/(0.05*0.05) which will then be ~36 (is this unreasonably high? I can't remember usual values for Kc...). Usually solids are 1, yes (but then, usually water is, too) but the problem says "initially put in 0.0500 mol of each reagent", so that would mean [C] = [H2O] = 0.0500 mol.

My ramblings. Since I just did geochem of natural waters last semester, I should be able to remember this better, lol. But I definitely agree with talking to your prof, talking to the TA, going to office hours, going to tutor hours - whatever is easiest and is offered at your school. xP

Apologies if any of this is seriously wrong.

I think I just figured a thing! Gonna see if I can maths it, but it's added them when you want to be multiplying...

Edit: nope, you still get 95.11 if you count the carbon, and it hasn't I just shouldn't be allowed to do maths this late.

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

woop. Thanks for answers!

It looks to me like you're favouring products at equilibrium by an order of magnitude. I get 0.088 too the way you're doing it, which you're right, doesn't fit the actual concentrations, unless you consider that solids are treated as having a concentration of 1 (hence you can ignore it in multiplication and division) and 1+0.0093 is bigger than 2x 0.0907.

I'm really not sure though :/ It doesn't seem a very informative way to do things - of course it'll tell you reactants are favoured if you're arbitrarily declaring one of them to have a concentration of one.

Depending on the reasonableness of your teacher and the seriousness of the exercise, put both answers (I think the other is like 95?) with explanations as to why one might calculate it either way and what one would infer from each?

I agree it's kind of weird. Okay, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to accomplish here anymore. xd.png Doesn't help that the whole lab is on Le Châtelier's principle, so this is all part of a cluster**** of altering concentrations, volumes and temperatures. I'm... not entirely sure what is going on most of the time.

My original lab assignment helps even less, since it says Kc = [CO][H2][H2O]. That's just... nope, who ever heard of multiplying all the products and reactants together? Besides, yuck, that gives me an even smaller number. So that's out of question as the way to go.

Dunno how I'd incorporate the 'double results' into this thing but I just might end up doing that somehow.

The theory in your post is sound. I agree with your thought process and conclusions. (Isn't carbon and hydrogen your reactants, though - second paragraph,  fifth sentence? Or am I answering this too soon after waking up?)

I'm wondering if you you shouldn't be doing 0.0907/0.0093 (ignoring L because AFAIK everything is 10, so that's just going to cancel out) which will be ~9, which would agree that the system favors the products. If you're using original concentrations, though, shouldn't it be 0.0907/(0.05*0.05) which will then be ~36 (is this unreasonably high? I can't remember usual values for Kc...). Usually solids are 1, yes (but then, usually water is, too) but the problem says "initially put in 0.0500 mol of each reagent", so that would mean [C] = [H2O] = 0.0500 mol.

My ramblings. Since I just did geochem of natural waters last semester, I should be able to remember this better, lol. But I definitely agree with talking to your prof, talking to the TA, going to office hours, going to tutor hours - whatever is easiest and is offered at your school. xP

Apologies if any of this is seriously wrong.

Yeah, I somehow managed to mix up reactants and products at some point. Whoopsies. *sleep deprived* Thankfully only in typing, though xd.png

I'm putting 0.00907 squared over 0.00093, since [CO] = [H2] = 0.00907. (Messing around with concentrations, might as well just have divided the whole thing by 10, too.)

I dooon't think the initial concentrations should have anything to do with Kc either? Since they change right away during the reaction anyways.

Weh and now it doesn't seem to match my results in the temperature experiment either. Namely, my graph seems to suggest that products are favored from 950K or so, but my calculated constants would beg to differ and only surpass 1 at like 1150K. So something's definitely wrong. dry.gif

Either the simulation is being weird - which is entirely possible, since I've plugged in a pretend C concentration and it got me slightly better results - or it's just the dang carbon messing with my data. Ooor I got this whole thing wrong.

Oops, ranting. If I'm not making sense (which I'm likely not), you have my apologies. :S *slightly loopy* I might come up with something reasonable once I've slept on it a bit. And talked it over with my school chem teacher probably. (Thing is that he wasn't the one who assigned this, since it's from my online AP course... so that's going to be fun too. ninja.gif I'm afraid it might be too late to try to contact someone from the course though)

...Right. Going to bed for real now.

Yeah, I somehow managed to mix up reactants and products at some point. Whoopsies. *sleep deprived* Thankfully only in typing, though xd.png

I'm putting 0.00907 squared over 0.00093, since [CO] = [H2] = 0.00907. (Messing around with concentrations, might as well just have divided the whole thing by 10, too.)

I dooon't think the initial concentrations should have anything to do with Kc either? Since they change right away during the reaction anyways.

Weh and now it doesn't seem to match my results in the temperature experiment either. Namely, my graph seems to suggest that products are favored from 950K or so, but my calculated constants would beg to differ and only surpass 1 at like 1150K. So something's definitely wrong. dry.gif

Either the simulation is being weird - which is entirely possible, since I've plugged in a pretend C concentration and it got me slightly better results - or it's just the dang carbon messing with my data. Ooor I got this whole thing wrong.

Oops, ranting. If I'm not making sense (which I'm likely not), you have my apologies. :S *slightly loopy* I might come up with something reasonable once I've slept on it a bit. And talked it over with my school chem teacher probably. (Thing is that he wasn't the one who assigned this, since it's from my online AP course... so that's going to be fun too. ninja.gif I'm afraid it might be too late to try to contact someone from the course though)

...Right. Going to bed for real now.

Hm, I wasn't squaring because it sounds like you already got the multiplied amount, since it sounds like the problem said x = left side and y = right side.

Good luck with the teacher tomorrow!

Just in case you've all been wondering how I am: I am managing to keep bits of food down but a going loopy as the virus has started to effect my brain and cognitive functions. A one point I was hearing voices. All I can do is sleep it off. Anyone experienced this before?

Sometimes a high fever will do it. The most important thing is staying hydrated. Try to get the fever down and breaking it. Tepid baths, Tylenol, and plenty of fluids and rest.

Agreed, dehydration and feaver can do it.

Drink water every time you wake up, at least a good sized glass. It helps the healing process even if all you can do is sleep.

Hm, I wasn't squaring because it sounds like you already got the multiplied amount, since it sounds like the problem said x = left side and y = right side.

Good luck with the teacher tomorrow!

Yeah, my bad, wasn't too clear with my phrasing. It's meant to be 0.0907 mol each for H2 and CO. =w=

Anyways, got this resolved by talking to my chem teacher... and I think I'll go to him first in the future instead of turning to forums right away. He even let me borrow a textbook so I'm less confused. xd.png Turns out Kc isn't the best thing to use for gases, and I'm better off with Kp using partial pressures instead of mol/L concentration. (I came up with that at one point, actually, but got stuck at the notion that I only had mole amounts to work with and not pressures... not realizing that there's a formula for converting Kc to Kp.) So far, Kp is giving me much more reasonable numbers that correspond with graphs and everything, so I guess the problem can be considered solved. Thanks for the answers, guys :3

Drinking loads of water Lupa and Backmagic, I'm also sleeping a lot but having terrible nightmares. (I have PTSD) but these are more vivid than ever.

That can happen when you are sick and your body is fighting off a virus, infection, whatever.

The dreaming REM sleep is when your body repairs itself, so you get more of it and wake up not feeling well so it can be remembered more clearly.

Sometimes a nice scent, like a vanilla or lavender or something you find soothing, from a few drops of essential oil on your pillow or a sashet of dried flowers/herbs in the pillow case can help your brain behave too.

Thanks for your input Lupa, feeling better now although still got other issues to deal with. Think it's as you and blackmagic said: the fever sort of spread to my brain. Managed to go out today. Yay. First time in 10 days and visited Starbucks. They all could tell I was ill I think by the looks on their faces and stood back while they served me. Managing to keep food down still. Couple of days ago though: seriously: I was green. My face was a pale shade of green. I mean I know I'm a Slytherin but I don't wanna be green.