RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Kanji does not strictly equal Chinese. Kanji are Chinese characters, but they have different readings and meanings in many cases because Japanese is a different language. Furthermore, Japanese has three writing systems, and many of these words are written using more than one.

The first one、叔母ちゃん isn't grandma, it's an older woman or an aunt. Chan isn't part of the word, it's an affectionate honorific. Same goes for any usages of san. Same for the next one. 姉ちゃん, nee-chan is older sister. 祖母, sobo is a grandmother, but not something you would use to refer to your own grandmother. さん is a respectful honorific, 様 sama is a more respectful honorific, 君kun is a familiar honorific with a typically masculine feel. You probably meant お姉さん onee-san on the last one, which is the same as nee-chan but more respectful.

Knowing when to be more respectful or not is something more complicated that can be easily explained to someone not studying the language.

@7Deadly$ins: smile.gif Ah, thank you. You told me everything I need to know, especially since I am not studying the language. I just need clarification.

I'm learning Japanese! smile.gif

Question: does anyone know any fun tricks to teach guinea pigs? (apart from standing on hind legs and walking around in a circle. They can already do that) Does anyone know how to teach a guinea pig to come to you when it's called?

I'm learning Japanese! smile.gif

Question: does anyone know any fun tricks to teach guinea pigs? (apart from standing on hind legs and walking around in a circle. They can already do that) Does anyone know how to teach a guinea pig to come to you when it's called?

There is some series of videos on YT where someone trained their mouse to do a bunch of things such as bring them tissues when they sneeze and to ring a bell if they want a door to be opened so they can get through. I don't know how similar mice and guinea pigs are intelligence wise, but I would think you could manage calling the gpig to you with lots of hard work. Probably use similar training methods to other animals. Leading and positive reinforcement. Call the gpig to you. Produce a treat. Keep calling. When they come over, give them the treat and positive attention. Repeat until the gpig expects a treat when you call and automatically comes over.

/haven't really trained many animals before, just helped out with our dog, so I am sure others may have better advice. Also never had a gpig, so I don't know what their behavior is like.

If the're hungry they are already at the very edge of the cage, with nowhere to come forward to. If they aren't hungry, than the treats will most likely cause one to over-eat and the other won't be interested.

(one we got from a rescue centre, the other from a pet shop. Hence one was used to eating everything it possibly could, while the other was used to eating as much as it needed and not more.)

If they are outside they are much more interested in either grass, rest or not getting caught by us.

I know the theory, want to know how people manage to put it into practise.

Edited by MessengerDragon

College based question:

If your teacher emails you, is it good etiquette to reply to the email, even if it's just a "Thank you" to show that you've read the email?

College based question:

If your teacher emails you, is it good etiquette to reply to the email, even if it's just a "Thank you" to show that you've read the email?

Yes. As well, it's a very good habit to get into for the professional world. Often professors send out attachments and etc. for whatever reason and if no one replies, they are uncertain if it actually got sent. So a lot do prefer getting some kind of reply to let them know their email went through.

Yes. As well, it's a very good habit to get into for the professional world. Often professors send out attachments and etc. for whatever reason and if no one replies, they are uncertain if it actually got sent. So a lot do prefer getting some kind of reply to let them know their email went through.

Thank you SockPuppet Strangler, the email was sent to both my personal and college emails, so it seemed quite important (it was). I asked my tutor over the phone today, he didn't mind if I didn't reply, but I still felt bad for not doing so. I do agree that it's a good habit to have, so I will respond to them in future. Thank you for the answer!

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

May I ask where can I buy old books if not in second-hand book shops? Or perhaps somewhere I can get an online copy for free? I am looking for an old novel by my favourite author, P. B. Kerr, which is a series- The Children of the Lamp. As well as another favourite series- The Circle Opens by Tamora Pierce. I can only get some of them online in Tuebl. I can't find others.For Children of the Lamp, none at all. All books mentioned are no longer in circulation in the material world here in my country or at least very rare. We've been finding them already.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

May I ask where can I buy old books if not in second-hand book shops? Or perhaps somewhere I can get an online copy for free? I am looking for an old novel by my favourite author, P. B. Kerr, which is a series- The Children of the Lamp. As well as another favourite series- The Circle Opens by Tamora Pierce. I can only get some of them online in Tuebl. I can't find others.For Children of the Lamp, none at all. All books mentioned are no longer in circulation in the material world here in my country or at least very rare. We've been finding them already.

Does this site help?

http://www.thriftbooks.com

Does this site help?

http://www.thriftbooks.com

biggrin.gif Oh thank you, Socky! That helps. And thank you for adding another book site to my knowledge.

We actually asked around half a dozen of bookstores but they said they don't sell them anymore. I'm glad that they are still somewhere in circulation in other countries. I wonder why they stop circulating here. They are not even in the school lib which house a lot of interesting fiction and storybooks. I suppose that it doesn't sell and the target market is different.

I suspected that my mother took away my ex specs(I wore it for 2+ years till I changed to transition specs in 2014) and either donated it or discarded it. She mentioned donating my old specs when she happened to discover them but I hid them away.

Once I misplaced my current specs(transition) in the morning weeks ago and wore the ex specs for a while till I found the current one. I left the ex specs at the low table in my room. My mother later pointed at the ex specs and asked me to put it away. I put the ex specs in a specs case.

Yesterday, all the specs cases in my room were empty and the ex specs were nowhere to be found. I asked my father, he said that he did not take the specs and furthermore, my mother is more likely to be the one who took my specs than him as she dislike me keeping old things(like my specs collection over the years) I do not use and often emphasize on throwing them away. My younger brother and sister(aged 16 and 11) are unlikely suspects also.

I asked my mother if she took the ex specs but she denied in a rather defensive manner(found it that way) and said that she never took anything from my room. I really think my mother took my specs, not only the one I asked her about, but also a thick framed one which i wore when I was 9; can't seem to find both of them. How can I find out the truth(if possible, from her) if she took my specs and what she did to it? Because the specs can't possibly vanish from its case for no reason. Someone apparently took it.

Does anyone know if you can professionally customize the outside appearance of your Iphone5/6? I was thinking of getting a Chrome Cherry Red color/look to mine, but wasn't sure if they do this sort of thing like they do with cars. o3o

Does anyone know how long the average pen lasts, provided that it's used for school? I've had to do tons of writing recently, and I only have two pens, so I'm a little worried.

Does anyone know how long the average pen lasts, provided that it's used for school? I've had to do tons of writing recently, and I only have two pens, so I'm a little worried.

An average pen when full can be used for around 4-5 sheets of short bond paper filled with writing back to back (8-10 pages). That is based on my experience because I write a lot. I use Pilot pen or sometimes Panda but the life span is around the same.

For gel pens, MyGel pens, I find that it gets used up faster. It only last me two sheets back-to-back (4 pages).

An average pen when full can be used for around 4-5 sheets of short bond paper filled with writing back to back (8-10 pages). That is based on my experience because I write a lot. I use Pilot pen or sometimes Panda but the life span is around the same.

For gel pens, MyGel pens, I find that it gets used up faster. It only last me two sheets back-to-back (4 pages).

Thanks, and I'm screwed. Better run to the dollar store, quick. >.<

I'm currently using my 3+ year old Samsung Galaxy S i9000. Now, the phone often hangs/blacks out, freezes. Apps such as Whatsapp, Viber etc do not respond, causing the phone to lag, even when typing. Recently, I noticed text messages I sent and received disappeared without a trace even though I did not delete them. Why did they vanish? How can I restore those missing messages?

I'm currently using my 3+ year old Samsung Galaxy S i9000. Now, the phone often hangs/blacks out, freezes. Apps such as Whatsapp, Viber etc do not respond, causing the phone to lag, even when typing. Recently, I noticed text messages I sent and received disappeared without a trace even though I did not delete them. Why did they vanish? How can I restore those missing messages?

sad.gif I doubt you can restore those messages unless you have a back-up. However, I do not know what is causing the freeze; never occurred to me. By the way, did you check your memory storage? Sometimes when the RAM memory is full, the system tends to lag but not how you claim though.

ah, so first quarter in high school is ending and I have a b+ (.19 away from an a- D:) in an elective class that I'm not planning to major in. Will this affect me in the future re: college?

edit: I'm probably overreacting right now, so the best thing to do is just improve, I suppose.

Edited by XiaoChibi

ah, so first quarter in high school is ending and I have a b+ (.19 away from an a- D:) in an elective class that I'm not planning to major in. Will this affect me in the future re: college?

edit: I'm probably overreacting right now, so the best thing to do is just improve, I suppose.

No, not really. Unless you really, really needed that elective class to help bring up a bad total GPA.

No, not really. Unless you really, really needed that elective class to help bring up a bad total GPA.

Yeah, I think I'll talk to my counselor tomorrow and see what happens from there :v

Yeah, I think I'll talk to my counselor tomorrow and see what happens from there :v

That's always the best bet - they know more about your school record than I do. But even so, a B+ is a great grade. I'm sure you are doing fine. <3

WARNING: Do not click links if you don't like spiders.

Does anyone have any idea how I can move a spider and her egg sac without hurting/damaging either of them?

She's been living in the bathroom for maybe a month now, and now she has eggs. I'm ok with her living there, but I don't think the others will be ok with a bunch of spiderlings hanging out in the house. I don't even know what kind of spider she is. I was thinking a common/American house spider or a comb-footed/comb-clawed spider or a triangulate cobweb spider. I'm fairly certain she's not a brown widow because I can't see an hourglass.

I can try to get a picture if anyone's interested. |3

Are you planning to get into some highly selective college? A B+ will drop your GPA by only a few points when all is said and done.

WARNING: Do not click links if you don't like spiders.

Does anyone have any idea how I can move a spider and her egg sac without hurting/damaging either of them?

She's been living in the bathroom for maybe a month now, and now she has eggs. I'm ok with her living there, but I don't think the others will be ok with a bunch of spiderlings hanging out in the house. I don't even know what kind of spider she is. I was thinking a common/American house spider or a comb-footed/comb-clawed spider or a triangulate cobweb spider. I'm fairly certain she's not a brown widow because I can't see an hourglass.

I can try to get a picture if anyone's interested. |3

Unfortunately, the egg sac likely will not survive the move unless you keep both of them in a container or something