science is one of the only subjects i pay attention to, so ok.

i like enviromental science. and Astronomy. but sometimes astronomy kind of scares me.

in science, we watched this REALLY dramatic video on astronomy.

the guy was all "maybe we, are marsians"

and "the two stars are pulling at each other, in a fatal waltz for eons of time"

it was HILARIOUS!!!

our science teacher was all, "yeah, its kinda dramatic...sorry, guys."

Studying to become a geologist (not sure with focus to what). I suck at it though. D|

But ever since 101 anytime people say "Richter Scale" in some sort of seriousness, I just wanna 'splode. D|

Also taking phys II this semester. I really just didn't like phys I, didn't get it at all, but phys II seems like it will be a bit better.

I'm really not good with application, though, lol. Gimme a straightforward question and it'll be pretty easy, give me a word problem and I'll flounder and flail about. :B

? Whyso?

Also, my school is the same with physics in a way; phys I is harder than phys II (but for a different reason).

I mean because the Richter scale isn't actually used anymore (yet the media continues to report in it), because it was made specific to southern California, and doesn't actually give accurate readings anywhere else in the world. |D

Why is phys I harder at your school, Rhea?

Course I can't really judge at mine yet, because school only started a little less than two weeks ago.

Phys I is harder because it's on "down to earth" things - electricity and kinetic/potential energy and velocity and falling objects and stuff. Mostly application of equations and whatnot, which is very cut-and-dried in terms of grading.

Phys II starts going into weirder stuff and is a little more abstract, so the teacher doesn't bother trying to grade very harshly. There's more leeway and you can express yourself in whatever manner you want. Plus, most of the class is just talking.

Ah, yeah, I'm interested to see how harsh the grading will be. I know recitation isn't going to be any help because an hour and a half before the class ended, the TA told us to stop asking questions "in the interest of time". >_>

For anyone with Mac's --> SeisMac. Turns your Mac into a seismograph (well, not like a professional one, but it's still very interesting). It's pretty neat to mess around with. My 204 teacher showed it to us today. Pretty interesting. :3

Isn't the intensity of an earthquake also measured in the The Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale?

I thought it was,

Richter scale = the amount fo energy released on a logarithmic scale

MMI = the ground zonation and distance from epicenter in relation to the potential an earthquake has for damage.

I mean because the Richter scale isn't actually used anymore (yet the media continues to report in it), because it was made specific to southern California, and doesn't actually give accurate readings anywhere else in the world. |D

Yet is sounds much more interesting than the Moment Magnitude scale. If you simply give something a person's name, people don't get so confused as to why we measure earthquakes in moments.

'That was a 4.3 on the Moment Magnitude scale.'

'But it lasted 32 seconds! How long is a moment in science then?'

I am a forensic psychology lover, :3 not sure if it counts as science, well, yeah, it does, you delve into the minds of effed up people.....that is my dream job

I wanted to go into Forensic Pathology at first.

then I decided I wanted to work with living people so I can stoke my ego give people a second chance, or just a boost to keep them healthier and going.

I've found with science classes, the basic classes are generally the hardest. Science (classes) generally build up on previous concepts, and if you don't understand the basic concepts, you can't get that build up of knowledge.

though I hate my gen chem class. teacher treats us all like high schoolers (no hard feelings to high schoolers) and the material we are covering so far is about at a low middle school level.

that, or having taken a previous college chemistry class makes taking a gen chem (which is mandatory for my major, pre-req for all other classes I take) a major pain.

Not to mention the (lecture) professor is a censorkip.gif

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

I wanted to go into Forensic Pathology at first.

then I decided I wanted to work with living people so I can stoke my ego give people a second chance, or just a boost to keep them healthier and going.

I've found with science classes, the basic classes are generally the hardest. Science (classes) generally build up on previous concepts, and if you don't understand the basic concepts, you can't get that build up of knowledge.

though I hate my gen chem class. teacher treats us all like high schoolers (no hard feelings to high schoolers) and the material we are covering so far is about at a low middle school level.

that, or having taken a previous college chemistry class makes taking a gen chem (which is mandatory for my major, pre-req for all other classes I take) a major pain.

Not to mention the (lecture) professor is a censorkip.gif

Are you in first year of uni? Because what I found is that in 1st year the science/geo classes were very basic and covered a wide variety.

For example in a first year subject we covered the atmopshere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and the cryosphere. All of them were covered in basic's and we had to learn about them all for the exam. In 2nd year I found the topics became more selective instead of having a subject covering all 4 of things mentioned above we had just one or two subjects focused purely on the atmosphere or 1 or 2 on the lithosphere and so on. Third year is the year where your subjects focus solely on one aspect of the subject for example for atmosphere the 3rd year subjects focused on major aspects eg: one subject on world climate, one subject on climate change, one subject of advanced climatology, one subject of Australian climate etc: I can only say this for my university though so i'm not sure how others works but this is how ours does.

Are you in first year of uni? Because what I found is that in 1st year the science/geo classes were very basic and covered a wide variety.

For example in a first year subject we covered the atmopshere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and the cryosphere. All of them were covered in basic's and we had to learn about them all for the exam. In 2nd year I found the topics became more selective instead of having a subject covering all 4 of things mentioned above we had just one or two subjects focused purely on the atmosphere or 1 or 2 on the lithosphere and so on. Third year is the year where your subjects focus solely on one aspect of the subject for example for atmosphere the 3rd year subjects focused on major aspects eg: one subject on world climate, one subject on climate change, one subject of advanced climatology, one subject of Australian climate etc: I can only say this for my university though so i'm not sure how others works but this is how ours does.

Mathematics is similar - first year was recovering A-Level Maths and Further Maths so everyone was brought up to speed, as well as some work on Discrete and Stats. Second year we had our first chance to diversify slightly, although there were still core units to be taken in Pure and Applied Maths. Third year was mostly own choice (or may have been fully, I can't remember now!) while fourth year was whatever we wanted. Each stage became more focused as well:

Mechanical Modelling -> Properties of Solids and Fluids -> Fluid Dynamics -> Hydrodynamics -> Non-linear Waves

I'm actually in my third year of uni, but I switched into biochem over the summer, so in some sense I'm just taking first year science classes.

(the great thing, is I have most of my general education classes done, so I can focus in on science/math classes I need. Hopefully I can pull my 3.36 GPA up to a 3.5 or more with science classes so I have better chances of getting into med school.)

I don't mind the basics, it's the people who are in there who have no real interest in science that bug me.

(For non-majors, the bio and chem classes I'm taking count as honors classes for them)

Brilliant. Clearly they have never watched 'Terminator' or 'I, Robot.'

Or Portal.

She is described as a lying liar who lies for a REASON, people!

... -gets an axe and some buckets of water just in case-

And while the human in me is terrified, the mad scientist in me is doing cartwheels of joy to see this.

Jupiter's closest approach since 1963

[link]

Side note - Isn't Earth supposed to have a captial letter? (unlike in the article)

(I posted this in the universe thread not realizing its better off going here, whoops!)

"Zombifying Pigs"

Interesting concept. Not really sure what to think of it. o.O

Interesting to say the least. Suspended animation, working both ways, would be an amazing leap forward in medical science.