What do you do, exactly?

Do you mean what I'm doing now at University or when I do research?

What do you research, what sorts of classes you have to take, what you expect your occupation to be like...

What do you research, what sorts of classes you have to take, what you expect your occupation to be like...

Oh alright well with research first I have to be employed by a certain scientific organization which may be difficult since there are so many graduates these days hunting for jobs (very competitive these days). Once I get a job I'm pretty sure me being the new guy will most likely do whatever I’m told to do carrying the equipment, getting the coffee? lol. So I’m not expecting my first few years in the employment world to be all the great but once I get more experience and more qualified I’ll get to do more important things and I suppose earn more money. I’m not really an office type person so I wouldn’t mind any travel. I'd like to do research topic's on climate change or the ENSO but to be honest I'll take whatever I can get or whatever I'm offered you can't really afford to be picky when you've only just came out of uni.

Edited by Kaynight

user posted image

I just saw this and love it.

Ever since I took my (basic) organic chem class I can't look at things without thinking of the chemical basis of it.

With some basic genetics and biology it's just adding.

Who knows how I'll see the world when I'm through with all the other sciences I must take for my degree.

Although, doubling as an artist (not as a major anymore, too expensive and I couldn't do it as a career), I also see things for the beauty and detail.

I still don't know exactly what I'm going to go into with a Biochemistry degree. Anyone have any ideas if I can't get into med school?

I kind of figured I'd decide later, when I have the degree, but it'd probably be a good idea to have some general idea of jobs I can go into with that...

So I'm not running around with a degree while I'm on the streets or in my mom's basement.

I've yet to take org chem, bug bio, and genetics, but I still can say that science doesn't make the world less fun. It may be numbers and equations and reactions and whatnot, but there's a certain thrill in knowing what's going on everywhere around you.

Although, doubling as an artist (not as a major anymore, too expensive and I couldn't do it as a career), I also see things for the beauty and detail.

*Digs for Feynman book* Summat about that...

Yes, that's what I love about it. I love knowing how things work, and how things are made (great show xd.png). I guess again, knowing the details to see the big picture.

I like learning carbon chains and how they interact, I like learning about what makes up medicine and what chemicals can do positively and negatively.

And I like that there's always something new being discovered. I mean, look at the periodic table - it's still expanding, even if all the new elements are man-made.

I mean, just thinking about making an element, that's hardcore.

I want to do that, name it something cool. Not after myself, but something cool.

Unfortunately, I believe they have a system for naming new elements. Heck, they discovered a rock that was almost identical to the fabled kryponite, and they named it after the nearby town. Sucks.

What do you think the limits are, in terms for creating new elements?

Unfortunately yes the elements have to be approved names. there's like some board of scientists (yes this is very scientific of me...) that it goes through. Very official.

the standards for a new element are basically - can it stay stable for x amount of time, and can the results be reproduced.

Basically all you have to manage to do is successfully make atoms go through beta decay to get that one extra proton on it, but elements that high of a number are generally so unstable they tend to decay to a more stable element in a short amount of time.

there's definitely a limit to how "large" they can make a single atom I think. Not to mention every man-made element is radioactive and no one really 100% knows the effects of these new elements. Most of them fall under the transition heavy metals which tend to have poisonous properties

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Pity. It'd be awesome-cool (totally a scientific term, yanno) if there was some weird threshold after which all elements made were stable.

*Sigh* Oh sci-fi, this is why I stopped reading you. You fill me with such impossible hopes.

Unfortunately, I believe they have a system for naming new elements. Heck, they discovered a rock that was almost identical to the fabled kryponite, and they named it after the nearby town. Sucks.

What do you think the limits are, in terms for creating new elements?

Isn't there already a Kyryptonite, though?

Isn't there already a Kyryptonite, though?

It's krypton.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

While this thread's up and about, might as well take the time to ask - what's "she blinded me with science" from?

For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead biggrin.gif

... yeah, the only 'sciencey' mug I have is an Aperture Science mug...

I've always had a mild interest in science, but never really started research or... anything xd.png Although I've had to look up various aspects of biology for writing, and have yet to find a way to make a humanoid fly.

... -hides in the corner feeling not smart Dx-

This is made of win^. xd.png

Gruntwork, then to the unknown, huh?

Also, ENSO?

Yeah xd.png

ENSO = El Nino Southern Oscillation

Also random math/science question if anyones interested (I got it via email and thought I'd share, as a hint the answer once you know it is really obvious),

"8 + 8 = 91

How do you make this equation true without crossing anything out or writing anything new?"

Edited by Kaynight

"8 + 8 = 91

How do you make this equation true without crossing anything out or writing anything new?"

Rotate '91' around to make '16'

Edited by Kestra15

Rotate + -> x, alternately, although the dot thing would be preferable for clearer multiplication

ETA: Thank you. Seriously. (9*9 = 81) + (distraction) = ^

Edited by kadoatie

Rotate + -> x, alternately, although the dot thing would be preferable for clearer multiplication

8 x 8 =/= 91.

While this thread's up and about, might as well take the time to ask - what's "she blinded me with science" from?

It's a song.

Rotate '91' around to make '16'

Correct.

This shop here has awesome logo's for science (PhD) related shirts,

[here]

I like this one,

First I got a B.S and knew a little about everything.

Then I got a M.S and speaclizied in a single field.

Now I have a Ph.D I learned more and more about less and less and now I know everything about nothing.

ha, that's an interesting way to look at it.

If health prevents it (and of course, I bomb the MCAT/can't afford med school) I'll probably at least go for my masters..... in something sciencey. Maybe just more biochem.

I'm still an art major though.... I can't figure out where to find the change of major forms at my school.... it's kind of a mess in the business paperwork department.

EX: We're sorry Ms. Nightfox*, but there was some "confusion" about the paperwork getting to our department and we will discuss your appeal on Monday, and get to you possibly Tuesday.**

*Not my real last name. I do know someone who's last name is Fox though, pretty sweet.

** Confusion meaning - "the other department totally forgot about it and/or lost it, but we're too stuck up to admit we messed up."

Kaynight, that link has successfully made me die laughing, but it's ok, I'm better now.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

lolyeah. Getting a job at a lab over the summer, so much paperwork. And I'm not even an "official" employee. I'm listed as Extra Help.

Oh, those poor trees...

I need to go volunteer at the hospital, I live less than 600 feet from it. You think I'd get on that. Heck, I see the lifeflight copter almost every day, you think that would be enough reminder for me.

(Especially with the amount of time I've done as a patient there, I pretty much have the system down - this is all on science based research, it had nothing to do with being bored and drugged up on valium or ativan. Nothing.)

Also check out my sweet lab googles. I had to spend $10 on these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...gogglesdown.png

I was cheap, I could have gotten the cool blue anti-fog goggles for $15, but I wanted the extra $5 my parents gave me that was donated to me for vending machine lunch money