Why did Nightshade not know there was a science thread D:

*fails completely*

Going for my BS in Chemistry/Organic Chem.

I use the elements to mark the days on my dry erase calendar thing.

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

How can we think of a tenth dimension when we haven't thought of a 4th? (If we have, I've missed it.)

How can we think of a tenth dimension when we haven't thought of a 4th? (If we have, I've missed it.)

The 4th dimension is time.

But wouldn't going back in time get us into an endless loophole?

Anyways, What about wormholes? I saw them in my physics book.. But we never get to the neat stuff in school >.<

But wouldn't going back in time get us into an endless loophole?

Anyways, What about wormholes? I saw them in my physics book.. But we never get to the neat stuff in school >.<

Endless loophole? Maybe you mean endless loop? No, in theory, if you existed on the fourth dimension, you could travel across it too.

So it wouldn't be like "Bob forgets his wallet. Bob goes back in time. Because Bob didn't realize he forget his wallet until later, Bob forgets his wallet again."?

Endless loophole? Maybe you mean endless loop? No, in theory, if you existed on the fourth dimension, you could travel across it too.

We ARE travelling across it. Or does time stand still where you are?

The question is more whether we have any freedom in that. I read the rather interesting theory that time travel is possible, but not in any way you like. The theory was that at first you kind of have to build a way through time... I think it had to do with light being bent within a cricle of magnets. (Gotta find that article again, and maybe a reference on the internet)

Anyway, only from that time that way has been finished time travel would be possible.

The idea sounds crazy, but it actually makes more sense than other things that I have read about time travel.

Edited by Bardess

Time is indeed the fourth dimension. Hence vectors being of the form v=(x,y,z,t)

FOR SCIENCE

Er. Who here is a "scientist" (occupation is classified as a science)?

FOR SCIENCE

*raises hand*

Awesome! Impromptu interview ('cause this thread seems dead)(and so long as you don't mind), what is it you do exactly?

Awesome! Impromptu interview ('cause this thread seems dead)(and so long as you don't mind), what is it you do exactly?

Only through technicalities at the moment; I'm a lecturer in mathematics, and I partake in casual research, so technically I can loosely count as a scientist.

I still consider myself a scientist, regardless of job however.

Yes, you strike me as the eternal scientist type. If that makes any sense. At all.

Yes, you strike me as the eternal scientist type. If that makes any sense. At all.

Yup. Forever looking for answers and proof.

FOR SCIENCE

Ummm... I'm just an Msc student, but I have a project and I do some research - am I a "scientist"?

Time is indeed the fourth dimension. Hence vectors being of the form v=(x,y,z,t)

A fifth dimension would be a second dimension of time leading to alternate realities. Just as 2 dimensional space can be labeled x and y, time can be labeled t and a. As we can not travel on this 5th dimension, our vectors are (x, y, x, t). a leads to alternate timelines and realities.

That's my understanding, at least.

A fifth dimension would be a second dimension of time leading to alternate realities. Just as 2 dimensional space can be labeled x and y, time can be labeled t and a. As we can not travel on this 5th dimension, our vectors are (x, y, x, t). a leads to alternate timelines and realities.

That's my understanding, at least.

Again no. We have no reason to believe a fifth dimension has any relation to time at all.

An MSc is a Masters degree in science.

Wow. That video (from the OP, about visualizing 10 dimensions) was rather mind-boggling, but in a good way! Fascinating, that.

Just had to say that. I shan't even bother poking into the discussion on the 5th dimension, as I'd have little to no idea what I was talking about. xP But I shall eavesdrop assiduously.

FOR SCIENCE

I will be in 6 months xd.png

I seriously suck at physics so when it comes to other dimensions I can only use my imagination.

I will be in 6 months xd.png

I seriously suck at physics so when it comes to other dimensions I can only use my imagination.

What subject/field?

What subject/field?

Climate Science, I hoping to do honours next year and get into research after that. I'd love to discover something and name it after myself hehe.