RheaZen

Creepy-Crawlies

How about the Huntsman Spider?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

I don't live in any of the areas where these things do, but I think they're absolutley awesome. If I ever saw one, I'd definatley try to pick it up...but I probably wouldn't be able to catch it since they're so speedy. sad.gif

Ooo, i have lots of Huntsmans where i live. I find ones about the size of a hand often in my house or up at the farm. You have to make sure you check your shoes and the horse rugs often to make sure they haven't taken up residence there. I have handled them before. They are quite placid, though very fast and hard to catch for a close look. If they do bite, it only feels like a bee sting and is a bit itchy (I was a little too curious when i was little and got bitten.)

Most of the time people have one big spidey in their house to take care of the stupid flies that plague us D:

EDIT: like this size.

Jeez.

Raining right now, my parents found a slug on the porch, about 5-6 inches long. Looked like a leopard slug. Picked it up to get a better look. Spent 15 minutes scrubbing slime off of me.

Worth it.

Lots of those guize too. They like to eat our dogs food. I find them a lot in the laundry. My neighbors used to pour salt on them D:

Luckily i rescued a few and 'released them into the wild' (down at the oval..hurr)

Oh, one creepy crawly i don't like...yet have met...too many times...

The Australian Bulldog Ant

Bull ants can grow to over 40 mm (1.6 in) in length.

These ants are well-known in Australia for their aggressive behaviour and powerful stings. The venom of these ants has the potential to induce anaphylactic shock in allergic sting victims. As with most severe allergic reactions, if left untreated the reaction may be lethal. These large, alert ants have characteristic large eyes and long, slender mandibles. They have superior vision, able to track and even follow intruders from a distance of 1 metre.

One subspecies, the Jack Jumper, can be found all over the town where i live. They are nasty mofos

These ants are black or red and black, and may have yellow or orange legs, antennae and mandibles. They are 10-12 mm long. Their characteristic jumping motion when in an agitated state gave them their name.

Jack jumper ants are carnivores and scavengers. They sting their victims with venom that is similar to stings of wasps, bees, and fire ants. Their venom is one of the most powerful in the insect world. Jack jumper ants are proven hunters; even wasps are hunted and devoured. These ants have excellent vision, which aids them in hunting.

So, basically, you can accidentally step on a jack jumper nest, they jump on you, then bite and sting you, and they don't stop. You have to go to the hospital to be treated for bites. They are one Creepy Crawly i wouldn't mind not having around..

Edited by Googleplaxin

Oh, so that's what those giant spiders are...

Yeah, my stepdad wanted to salt the slug ;_;

Jeez.

Raining right now, my parents found a slug on the porch, about 5-6 inches long. Looked like a leopard slug. Picked it up to get a better look. Spent 15 minutes scrubbing slime off of me.

Worth it.

user posted image

I love those slugs. It's been a while since I've seen one though. TT

At a family barbecue (I know I spelled that wrong), I had to spend half the time saving slugs from my cousins that wanted to drown/salt/dissect them

I saw one of the biggest and most amazing moths ever a few days ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eumorpha_pandorus

It was just sitting outside of a doorway of an appliance store near where I work. I thought it was dead, so I tried to pick it up. It wasn't dead, and flew away when I touched it. She was the biggest moth I've ever seen; about 3 inches long with a 4-5 inch wingspan.

'cause of the whole "New York dog-sized sewer rats" thing. They're associated with filth. They're also pretty bad agricultural pests - it's estimated that up to 10% of all grain goes to the rodents.

But they're still cute.

My mom doesn't like their hairless tails.

Aww, poor rats always get the bad rep.

Rabbits.... I don't like rabbits. They are vicious.. at least the "domestic" ones.

Stunning!

Reminds me of a certain X-Files episode. Mulder talks about his hate of bugs and mentions how mantids' heads/faces look like alien heads/faces.

Took a lot of pictures of bugs during my vacation. Made a dA account for bug photos/bug stuff only. Will be updating it with more pics later today. http://rheasbuggery.deviantart.com/

Skink! Skinks are cool. I've never lived in a place with weather suitable for reptiles much, so I never see any in the wild/outside.

Went bug collecting today. Got a lot of stuff. Feel sorry for the bugs, though.

Skink! Skinks are cool. I've never lived in a place with weather suitable for reptiles much, so I never see any in the wild/outside.

Went bug collecting today. Got a lot of stuff. Feel sorry for the bugs, though.

Ooh, I collected some bugs today. I got some grasshoppers, a few snails, a cool beetle, and a moth. :3 I'm going to let them go soon.

I keep seeing these guys all over my house and yard. I think they're neat, but they run off every time I try to catch one.

Try a net?

Careful with the hoopers, TDC. They'll eat the others if they feel hungry enough.

I got some grasshoppers, katydids, butterflies, a moth, a dragonfly, damselflies, spiders (tons), some beetles, some caterpillars, some ants, bees, wasps...

I have a phobia of most bugs. The ones I am not scared of annoy me.

Worms are bugs right? If not what because I can't remember. Worms don't scare me or annoy me.

Depends on what you mean by bug. Worms are not "true bugs", as true bugs have sucking mouthparts. Worms are annelids. They are invertebrates.

Depends on what you mean by bug. Worms are not "true bugs", as true bugs have sucking mouthparts. Worms are annelids. They are invertebrates.

sorry ooc made me chuckle.

aha ok then. Well I just don't like insects. *PS3 spell fail*