RheaZen

Creepy-Crawlies

Creepy-crawlies of all sorts to be discussed in here. Amphibians, reptiles, "gross" animals, invertebrates, bats...

I'd like for this to be a thread not only to discuss them, but also to learn about them and to debunk myths about them.

Please LINK to all especially bad pictures so that phobic people who still want to see the thread don't get scared off.

And here's something to start off with:

(Centipede)

Edited by RheaZen

Ohhh....I have 3 hissing Madagascar roaches D:

The mother is named Lady. She had children everywhere on valentines day.

Ok here are some differences between these guys and your average roach:

First of all they hiss (they force air through holes in their body)

They only eat veggies

They cannot survive in "normal" environments; they need a warm environment

They give live births 3-4 times in their lifespan

They live 2-4 years

They cannot reproduce until they're 6 months old

They are like other roaches in that:

They dehydrate easily

They're nocturnal

They still go squish

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2009/09/29...e233d66dc_1.jpg

Mama roach having babies^

Aren't they so cute? :3

I used to have those wookie smile.gif they also eat cereal (fruit loops are favorite, though it worried me a litte sence they eat rotton fruit in the wild). Sadly mine never bred, but I did have one live for 9 and a half years. (I think this may be a record, but most people dont have only 1 so its hard to tell) cool.gif

ha ha cool roaches Wookieinmashoo their colour looks like new born shrimps! I think... anyway sorry i dont have gross stuff to post i just wanted to post something

They totally look like little albino Kukana's Wook. XD

Hissing cockroaches are awesome. I hate it when shows make contestants eat them D:

I give you:

Avicularia versicolor - The pimpingest Tarantula out

And

The Rust Leg Tarantula

The Avicularia versicolor has got to be one of my favourite creepy crawlies falling into the arachnid category.

And Rhea, that Centipede looks cute all squishy and pink like that. XD

Questions for the queen of all things bug/arachnid/arthropod:

- What species is it?

- It looks massive..whats its adult body length?

Edited by Googleplaxin

I love bats...

biggrin.gif

@Rhea

I've heard of them, but have no idea how they look like. Or anything about them, for that matter.

Do rats count as "gross" animals? :< Many people would title them as that.

Do rats count as "gross" animals? :< Many people would title them as that.

I know, it is terrible, they are adorable and loving. How do people consider them pests?

'cause of the whole "New York dog-sized sewer rats" thing. They're associated with filth. They're also pretty bad agricultural pests - it's estimated that up to 10% of all grain goes to the rodents.

But they're still cute.

My mom doesn't like their hairless tails.

I like mice/rats as long as they're a pet. I freak out whenever I find one roaming my house (which happens with terrifying regularity). I also love bats. If it were possible for me to have one as a pet, I'd totally get one.

Thanks for linking to all pictures, because I'm a severe arachnophobe ^^;

No probs. We had similar problems in the phobias thread, so I added a lil' clause.

I'm always sad when we have to set out traps... the wild mice are so cute. But they widdle in the rice. Really.

Am I weird because none of the critters mentioned so far bother me? Tarantulas, rats, hissing cockroaches...I don't mind them. And I adore bats--that Honduran white tent bat is so cute!! *squee*

One thing that does freak me out is a crane fly. They look like giant mosquitoes. DX

But I like caterpillars, snakes, toads, and praying mantises.

I pretty much fell in love with newts recently. I have a pair an they have been breeding. This one looks pretty much like my girl. happy.gif She's been laying eggs all day today and kept folding the plant's leafs in order to protect them.

Can't wait to see the babies.

*and how can someone not love this little guy? unsure.gif

http://michherptrips.webs.com/notophthalmus%20002.jpg

Edited by earthgirl

My friend Renee loves bats, and they've got a lot living by their house. She and her sister are currently in the process of preserving a dead bat they found intact outside.

I also love bats, especially fruit bats. They're so cute.

Another "gross" animal I love are tree frogs. We've got tiny ones here and they're a goldish or silverish color.

Adorable Michigan tree frog- you'll see what I mean by gold!

Edited by Laskuraska

One thing that does freak me out is a crane fly. They look like giant mosquitoes. DX

Ohh... we have lots of those at this time of year.... we call them mayflies or mosquito-eaters.

they are more of a nuisance here though. they are always buzzing around my lamp.

but i really hate june bugs... blech

Beetles are cute. So... clumsy.

Newt! Can't wait to see the bebbehs :3

Preserve the body? How?

And yeah, I think crane flies, it's more the "WHOA GIANT BUG SKEETER ARGH" factor.

Beetles are cute. So... clumsy.

Newt! Can't wait to see the bebbehs :3

Preserve the body? How?

And yeah, I think crane flies, it's more the "WHOA GIANT BUG SKEETER ARGH" factor.

Their friend knows how to taxidermy animals, so she's helping them through it step-by-step. This bat they found was very small, so she's had them pack it in mothballs to mummify it. I'm not sure what comes next.

Hm. For some reason, the first thing that came to mind for me was mummification.

Tell me, do you know if they found a whitish powdery substance on the bat? Apparently they're being hit pretty bad by a fungus.

Hm. For some reason, the first thing that came to mind for me was mummification.

Tell me, do you know if they found a whitish powdery substance on the bat? Apparently they're being hit pretty bad by a fungus.

No, the bat wasn't fungus-y as far as we could tell. I'm not sure the fungus is here yet, I haven't heard anything about it.

Is the fungus specific to bats? I have found a whitish powdery fungus in the ground when I do gardening there.

Ohh... we have lots of those at this time of year.... we call them mayflies or mosquito-eaters.

they are more of a nuisance here though. they are always buzzing around my lamp.

but i really hate june bugs... blech

Not to be mean or anything but craneflies and mayflies are not the same thing.

Entomolgy was my minor in college.

mayfly

Lets see, as of right now, in the ''creepy crawly'' department, I have, a 3 foot plated lizard, a sulcata, a tokay, around 200 giant cave roaches, and a few hundred hissing roaches.

Tomorrow I am getting a colony of tens of thousands of maricopa harvester ants. ( the most venomous insect there is)