RheaZen

Creepy-Crawlies

Sunday I found a gravid native mantis which my teacher said to let go. Monday a kid brought in a female non-native (I think) which we'll be keeping as a class pet.

When I was little, I was talking to my friends at recess, and a mantis randomly hopped on my foot. A teacher's aid saw, and started screaming at me to let it go, even though I never touched it.

Most of my colony as of a few days ago.

http://i37.tinypic.com/167oyzm.jpg

Too distracted to click the link because of your signature....

What the hell is that thing? Some sort of Cryptid, or just a randomass thing?

...got around to clicking the link. Thats a lotta roaches.

Edited by Googleplaxin

Scrutinizer AxelSnatch xd.png

mantises are awesome

i used to catch them all the time when i was in like...3rd or 4th grade. My mom wouldn't let me keep them though sad.gif

now i barely see them around anymore ._.

Once long ago I had captured a baby mantis we called Freddy and we kept him in a tank for about five months until he got out and we never found him again. My younger cousin had played with him and forgot to put the lid back on. ohmy.gif

nomnomnom

|D

Those are some... different pieces of Sushi <3.

@Earthgirl: I have three of those too! Abrax, Nikulin and Kagami, all of them named after bearded RP characters xd.png.

holy god grimace that is some freakin grosssss stuff. sorry, i hate hate hate hate hate all bugs like nobody's business. and spiders are no bugs, nor worms, but i hate them too.

*shudders*

*squeeshes all the lizards/fish/salamanders/frogs in the thread*

also, a bit off topic, Grimace, but i realyldon't get your siggy. the first time i saw it i flipped out like "WTF OMG WTH WAZZZ DATT??" but i watched it a few more times, and seriously, whats it supposed to be? my screen is so tiny its hard to tell.

I want something like this some day...so many baby roaches in there.

A few questions though:

What do you use for a lid so they don't escape? Do you keep them in a giant storage bin? How do you clean up after so many roaches? What kind are the lighter ones?

@Rhea: I have no idea how Jake feels about things. I guess not happy; he's been rather moody since he shed.Unless you were talking about human Jake...I'm pretty sure he doesn't care much for the idea either way. Haven't really talked to him about it XD

Well about a week ago I forgot to close the lid on the on the nymphs' terrarium so I had several escapees. I found one this morning in the bathroom trash, chilling and eating cat food remnants.

I've also recently lost my small fiddler crab I had in the fish tank...I really liked him too. His name was Cake, or Master Cake to some.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I was thinking more about the roommate Jake, but xd.png Ah well. Hope roach-Jake feels better.

Aw dammit you just ninja edited.

Edited by RheaZen

I was thinking more about the roommate Jake, but xd.png Ah well. Hope roach-Jake feels better.

Aw dammit you just ninja edited.

Roommate's friend actually, and he probably doesn't mind.

I just hope I can find a way to house them all in the 10 gallon aquarium I have...I just need to find a way to get a secure lid on it...I also don't know how I would clean such a large area up, specially with baby roaches running everywhere. They're easy to lose '^'

And unlike the adults, they're actually fast.

Yeah, was wondering about cages and how you clean them. Bedding wouldn't work 'cause you'd end up throwing out a lot of little baby roaches. Do you just wipe the bottom?

Could you use newspapers?

-random suggestion-

Yeah, was wondering about cages and how you clean them. Bedding wouldn't work 'cause you'd end up throwing out a lot of little baby roaches. Do you just wipe the bottom?

I never thought about just wiping the bottom out with a wet cloth. For the smaller areas I just use small animal bedding and I do have sift through every bit of it for the baby roaches.

@Kiffren: Newspaper might work too, though I'd have to start ordering newspapers for that. I'm not sure where I would get some "unwanted" newspapers for that.

Maybe just raid the recycle bin at wherever? Or would normal paper not work as well as newspaper?

I never thought about just wiping the bottom out with a wet cloth. For the smaller areas I just use small animal bedding and I do have sift through every bit of it for the baby roaches.

@Kiffren: Newspaper might work too, though I'd have to start ordering newspapers for that. I'm not sure where I would get some "unwanted" newspapers for that.

At coffee shops there are typically newspapers sitting around. At the end of the day ask them if you could take one.

Just caught a click beetle that was in my room. How'd it get in here?

You guys familiar with click beetles?

I want something like this some day...so many baby roaches in there.

A few questions though:

What do you use for a lid so they don't escape? Do you keep them in a giant storage bin? How do you clean up after so many roaches? What kind are the lighter ones?

@Rhea: I have no idea how Jake feels about things. I guess not happy; he's been rather moody since he shed.Unless you were talking about human Jake...I'm pretty sure he doesn't care much for the idea either way. Haven't really talked to him about it xd.png

Well about a week ago I forgot to close the lid on the on the nymphs' terrarium so I had several escapees. I found one this morning in the bathroom trash, chilling and eating cat food remnants.

I've also recently lost my small fiddler crab I had in the fish tank...I really liked him too. His name was Cake, or Master Cake to some.

They are just in a 50 gallon, with a broken lid. a 2 inch barrier of vaseline on the glass keeps any from climbing out.

They are very, VERY clean. I clean it out like monthly, and I have probably had less than 10 die all year, and have never had any bad smell from them. Cleaning entails scooping up all the adults, (I just use my hands) and then collecting up all the babies, which takes forever. I would highly reccomend against using substrate, it would make it impossibly hard to clean out. The lighter ones, big winged guys, and all the babies are all death head hybrids.

What is it? All I see is two birds, in a nest, yeah, what's so speciOH GOD WTF IS THAT OH GOD KILL IT KILL IIIIIT

Wahahahaha! It will eat your EYES ∑8

.••.

-W

-M

Dammit. Anyone know how to make a decent biting insect/fanged insect emote?

Wahahahaha! It will eat your EYES ∑8

.••.

-W

-M

Dammit. Anyone know how to make a decent biting insect/fanged insect emote?

user posted image

Sort of close.