Vic

Labyrinth

Out of Sarah's heart/mind/whatever. Although I'm still certain that movie Jareth actually loves Sarah, it's a pretty selfish love. He wants to dominate her, but with her refusal to let him rule her, she's pushing him away and he losings whatever control he had over her and the tables are turning.

But, according to a previous conversation, the writers intended for Labyrinth to be a real place. So how would it be losing power just because Sarah found Toby?

The Labyrinth isn't losing power, Jareth is. Jareth can make the Labyrinth do as he wishes, so it is fair to assume that he controls the place. He never intended for Sarah to reach the Goblin City, but she did anyway. That's shaken whatever hold he has over her, causing his general power to weaken and the Labyrinth suffers as part of a domino effect.

So just because a teenage girl bested him he loses his power? That doesn't make much sense. According to the manga, he's well over 3000 years old (looks good for his age). Sarah can't possibly be the ONLY person whose beat him at something in his life.

Your explanations seem pretty deep for a family movie. Unless it's explained somewhere in the movie itself.

FYI: I had another Labyrinth-related dream the other night. Very vivid but different and more random than the last.

Edited by Vic

I admit, some of this is pure speculation with stuff from the manga thrown in.

In the manga it is explained that magic and willpower is more or less the same thing. When Sarah defied Jareth's will and reached Toby, he lost control of his magic. As she grew stronger he grew weaker and his power over the Labyrinth began to fade.

So when she left he got his power back? Does he have to recharge afterward? If he/Labyrinth in general lost power every time he met up with someone more strong-willed than he is the place would have fallen apart ages ago.

I'm not sure we should treat the manga as though it's Gospel. Obviously, there are major inconsistencies and plot holes.

I just figured Jareth is one of those people who can't where the same outfit twice lol. He is a bit full of himself.

Ugh. I thought I found the manga on MangaFox but it says that because it's "licensed" they won't show it. Aren't ALL the mangas on that site licensed?

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/return_to_labyrinth/

I think the general idea was that Sarah was the first person whom Jareth met who had a stronger will than himself. Or maybe he just messed up and underestimated her.

Anyway, there was some legislation passed a short while ago that banned websites from hosting a lot of manga. A lot of my favourite series have been taken down because of it sad.gif

... I wanna watch that. Anywhere to watch if online?

OMG DAVID BOWIE. biggrin.gif

Here you go.

http://two-movies.com/watch_movie/Labyrinth/

I'm pretty sure it's also on Youtube but you have to watch it in 10 minute increments.

Fortune,

Dang, that sucks. I don't read enough manga for it to be a big deal for me but I was disappointed to see that one wasn't there. I wanted to read it out of curiosity. Why couldn't they have gotten rid of the less popular ones?

Figures. But the guy who made the site isn't making profit from it. Except for the ads but anyone can do that.

I think the idea is that the manga writers lose out because instead of buying them people are reading them online for free.

I can understand this, but a lot of Manga never even makes it to the UK, let alone gets translated into English (offically anyway).

In all honesty, "manga" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Europe, let alone the UK lol.

But at least you can order them online. So you don't have to miss out completely.

Mm, I watched it sometime during summer because I had seen it in early childhood and couldn't remember what it was about. Then I saw it and went like "OMG, that is so oldschool and kitschy xd.png"

I was pretty much annoyed by all those puppet creatures but David Bowie looked awesome.

*GASP!*

Those aren't just "puppet creatures" they are marvelous creations from the mind of the greatest puppeteer in the world, Jim Henson. Blasphemy I say! Blasphemy! wink.gif

Sorry I'm a HUGE Jim Henson/Jim Henson Productions fan. Have been since childhood. Watched the Muppet Show religiously as a kid and own the first 3 seasons of it on DVD. Own Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The Storyteller series DVD, Mirror Mask, all 4 Seasons of Farscape & PeaceKeeper Wars. OMG I love all things Jim Henson.

I can't wait until the finish the sequel to The Dark Crystal.

*GASP!*

Those aren't just "puppet creatures" they are marvelous creations from the mind of the greatest puppeteer in the world, Jim Henson. Blasphemy I say! Blasphemy! wink.gif

Shun the non-believer! SHUUUUUN!!!

user posted image

Dammit. Vic beat me to it. Serves me right for not posting right away lol.

Edited by Fortune86

I've heard mention of a comic book series based on Jareth's adventures with the Goblins. I can't find any definite info at the moment though.

I thought there was already a Labyrinth comic that came out around or after the movie.

I've just realised something.

I've always thought that Jareth and the Emperor from FFII looked a little alike, but it wasn't until I played Dissidia this morning that I twigged that when I was reading the manga, I was reading Jareth's lines with the Emperor's voice inside my head...

I guess. It's difficult to picture Jareth in that weird armor.