Vic

Labyrinth

Lol. I was thinking more of the fact that he's too nice. Jareth's vampire-like wardrobe doesn't suit him. Like a kitten pretending to be a lion.

user posted image

Edited by Vic

If he actually stays on as ruler of the Labyrinth (I'm kinda hoping Jareth will reclaim the throne) he will have to make some admendments to his wardrobe.

Plus, I don't want to think of such a young kid wearing Bowie's tight trousers.

Like the outfit he's wearing on the vol. 1 cover. I think he'll just give it back because he can't handle it. I don't think Jareth could cut it as a school counselor anyway.

Volume 4 came today. Spoilers ahoy ~

The book started out well and there were many scenes I liked, like Toby's fountain chat with Jareth, Mizumi's tale and the Jareth & Sarah bits (although the theatre scene made me cringe). So all in all the manga was going well and I thought things were going in the right direction. Then it all went pear shaped.

Moulin died. Moppet apparently vanished (they do show up again briefly later, although I can't tell if this was just a flash back or not). Toby went back to his old life with nothing more than a 'life lesson' and Jareth returned as king of the labyrinth. Alone.

Yes folks. Jareth and Sarah did not happen. Jareth spends half of his 'screen time' or whatever you want to call it trying to convince Sarah how much he needs and loves her. Although initially swayed by his promises and magic tricks she later rebuffs him and says she has to go home (although she will always need him and the other Labyrinth inhabitants). Jareth's reply goes roughly like this: 'Yeah okay then'.

I can't tell you what my expression was when I read that because I was no where near a mirror.

I mean, what? He's pinned after this girl for the last 13 years (at least) and he doesn't even try to come to some arrangement where he can see her. Labyrinth lore does state that the ruler can leave it's walls if someone summons him, so why couldn't he go and see Sarah in her world every now and again at least? She says she needs him as much as he does her, so surely they could come up with a way to be together?

I am glad he went back to being king though, because quite frankly Toby sucked at it. The moment he started getting serious about the job he cocks it up, stating that he wanted the Labyrinth walls destroyed. The goblins (even those who were his friends) didn't like this and revolted. The only way Toby can calm the situation is by giving up his title.

So even though I enjoyed the series and am glad I bought the books, I think I'll be sticking with Japanese manga from now on.

Wow. Just wow. Glad I didn't bother to buy them. Hehe, still haven't seen the movie.

I might mute the Magic Dance. I read the lyrics and they're...disturbing. What was Bowie on when he wrote that??

I might mute the Magic Dance. I read the lyrics and they're...disturbing. What was Bowie on when he wrote that??

What? No! It's one of the best songs in the movie!

Jareth is supposed to be singing about Sarah, as she is the 'babe'.

But isn't he singing it to Toby? And he tosses the kid around like a ball.

He's singing to amuse Toby, but about Sarah.

He can do magic. He'd never drop him.

And the "smack that baby" part? Toby's real-life mom must've been freaking out.

And the "smack that baby" part? Toby's real-life mom must've been freaking out.

Doubtful. He never actualy throws the kid more than most parents do (as in, a little lift an inch or so away from the hands). Those big throws are all controlled, especially as he's caught by the puppets. Plus the lyrics wouldn't worry his RL mother as, for her, it's only a movie and she's seen the script.

To what you guys are talking about with Toby. Yes they did toss him in a air but the big tosses they used a fake baby, if you watch the movie closely you can see . And Toby's RL father is Brian Froud who created the creatures for Labyrinth. So working on the set, he knew what little Toby was getting into, so he was safe.

Edited by Beanie

Chill, Fortune. Unless you have the DVD none of this was explained. And, like I said, it's the "smack that baby" part that I find most weird. There have to be crazy parents out there pointing and ranting about how Labyrinth supports child abuse or something stupid. Edited by Vic

It really is one of those movies that you have to watch to understand.

Have you seen Magic Dance on Youtube? That might explain it better.

I have. That's one of the reasons it weirds me out.

I'm sure I will eventually. It's been a busy summer. That, and I have this "must not let the fangirls win" mentality.

So you don't want to watch it because we think it is a great movie?

Did we put you off? sad.gif

It's not like that. You're not like some of the other fangirls I've seen. I've made other threads about other movies/TV shows plus another Labyrinth one awhile back and a lot of them have this reaction that's like "Go watch it because WE say so!"

I'm not going to watch a movie just because a bunch of goblin queen wannabes tell me to. It's also why I avoided the movie Avatar. Everyone was SO hyped up about it I got turned off.

So it's not you. The people on this thread have actually been quite civil.

And, hey, someone posted this on Subeta. Jareth's winter outfit? Methinks he'd still be quite cold lol.

user posted image

Edited by Vic

I've always thought of that as more of his 'half owl' outfit. Because Sarah reached Toby in time he is losing his grip over her and slowly being forced out.

Forced out of what? It's his kingdom and the owl is just a disguise anyway.