Peralta

ANSWERED:Sort by Tabs

Not if you name your tabs properly. I'm currently using frozen paper hatchlings as dividers, those dividers are named what I would name tabs if we had them. Tabs would make it sooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to find things.. for me at least.

There are 2 sides (as always ^_^) of sorting implementation/improvement.

1. Interface to allow users make some sorting decisions.

2. Program code to match those choices.

Underlying mechanics of getting dragons form base to bring them to user view is SQL.

As of now all our radioboxes + checkboxes + custom sort is the same (i suppose 1 or sometimes 2 subsequential sql queries with just different ORDER BY sections )

Different tabs(groups, family, etc.) and order within 1 tab would involve WHERE condition.

What is Ideal type of sorting?

1. Create different SQL Queries and put them on public lib.

2. Allow users to pick-up ready-to use sets from that lib.

3. Allow users to create new ones and post them for technical review and approvement. (SQL select builder but very simplistic and limited).

4. Hire that "technical mods" staff.

5. Maybe tesbed server would be needed to measure performance impact of complex query.

As to how it should be presented in UI - it's really doesn't matter - (combo-box, tabbed interface, drop-down menu ...)

Only one thing is left - TJ's hardwork.

I support this idea 100% more than I did when I first read it in 2010, so that's like 200% support! xd.png

But really, I think it would be quite useful sad.gif. One thing I do not look forward to when I get new dragons is having to sort them afterwards. With 1k dragons, it's too much scrolling when I custom sort!

to my trained requirements engineering mind, there is one major question that popped up again and again:

why do you sort? There seems to be two major factions, and of course, they have a lot of varying opinions on this. I only sort in order to find the same kind of dragons on the same spot. i dont care for how the scroll looks like, as everything large gets messy soon anyway. with 517 tabs, messy as with 5000 dragons...

but there are others, who want their scroll to be "nice", or showcase their best dragons on page 1. i will put up a poll for this, as i'm really interested in seeing the results. i hope mods will not mind, to put this up asking independently of custom filters, tags, tabs.

Tabbed sorting would be a dream come true. I could put each dragon clan on a separate tab, then have more tabs for all my other groups - the ones that don't have a clan, my vampire covens, cuffs, song hatchlings...I'm just wondering what the holdup is on TJ's end as I haven't seen him weigh in.

Personally, I'd rather have tags than tabs. Tabs are nice, but not near as effective.

For example, I'm working on a number of different holiday breeding projects: holiday x daydream, holiday x stripe... The stripes alone can be enough to give me a headache, especially with winter magi or other holiday breeds that give various colors of striped offspring. Because I'm trying to breed these kinds of lineages (with holidays instead of the frill): lineage, just with a checkered start. Now this means that I'd need a white, red and green lineage for my winter magis alone. Keeping track of all of this is easier if I can add a tag to my winter magis (red stripe, green stripe, white stripe respectively), sorting them into tabs wouldn't help at all.

Edited by olympe

Personally, I'd rather have tags than tabs. Tabs are nice, but not near as effective.

For example, I'm working on a number of different holiday breeding projects: holiday x daydream, holiday x stripe... The stripes alone can be enough to give me a headache, especially with winter magi or other holiday breeds that give various colors of striped offspring. Because I'm trying to breed these kinds of lineages (with holidays instead of the frill): lineage, just with a checkered start. Now this means that I'd need a white, red and green lineage for my winter magis alone. Keeping track of all of this is easier if I can add a tag to my winter magis (red stripe, green stripe, white stripe respectively), sorting them into tabs wouldn't help at all.

Totally agree. Tabs limit you to one-per-dragon, and split your scroll. I put effort into my custom rainbow sort, that's how I want it displayed. I don't want to have to remove dragons from the rainbow just to know which ones are CB, or even-gen, or so on. I'm already frustrated that I have to have 2 pages now that I'm over 500 dragons; it breaks up the sorting I worked so hard on.

I do see how tabs could be useful. I could see putting my pygmies in one, and my holidays in another (since I keep them at the ends of my scroll anyway). I would like to see both implemented, but tabs just seem like the poorer option since they are so limiting. Given a choice, I would absolutely want tags first.

Obviously, I can opt out of using them (unless there's a limit, like on pages? - in that case, I strongly vote no to tabs), but since they will both take time to implement, I would prefer to get tags first.

Being from fandom land and having started out on LJ and places like ff.net etc, I do think that tags can be incredibly useful. They allow for customisation and, if properly implemented, allow for dragons to be sorted into multiple areas which can be absolutely essential. (even gen, fifth gen, purebred could all be on one dragon, for example). So I think that tags could be awesome.

I do think that tabs could be very useful as well, though, so I'd want whichever is easier to be implemented first (something makes me think tabs would be easier, but I could be wrong.)

I do think that tabs could be very useful as well, though, so I'd want whichever is easier to be implemented first (something makes me think tabs would be easier, but I could be wrong.)

yes, you are (very) wrong.

From a standpoint that only looks at the features, Tabs are Tags with extra features and limitations added, thus having a lot higher "price tag". If I had to estimate it for work, I'd set tabs to be at about 3 times the work.

Whether this IS a problem or not, well, that I can't say, as I neither know TJs work speed nor his availability.

This would be wonderful. Drakefyre could put all his Clans and Vamp covens in different tabs. +1 support.

we could have caverns, like you get inside a cave... you know, since the site IS called Dragon CAVE, and we have biomes instead of a main cave now.

but yes, I'd like to be able to have separate areas for my unbreedables and my lineage projects :3

we could have caverns, like you get inside a cave... you know, since the site IS called Dragon CAVE, and we have biomes instead of a main cave now.

but yes, I'd like to be able to have separate areas for my unbreedables and my lineage projects :3

+1, love this suggestion, also it'd make it more original and unique to magistream! I do love their tabs function.

This would make my life so much easier here on dragon cave. ;3;

The page loading time and also the amount of time it takes to find good dragons and weed out the ones that I don't want to use/just have ect. is really hard. I would also try and catch way more commons knowing I could always put them in a separate tab.

+1 support. More if I could. c':

bumpy, for more people to discuss smile.gif

I also really, really want this feature!

This has been my sort preference for YEARS now. I've hated pagination since it was first implemented. While I see the purpose of limiting the number of images loading, I do NOT agree with it, not when the pages are only divided by quantity and not by the players preference.

Tabbed sorting would make my game so much more enjoyable because I could then sort my dragons by lineage or breeding project, and not have them mixed in with all my general collection dragons.

Then folk could limit their 'main' scroll page to growing things, and image load times wouldn't be an issue. As long as everyone sorted their newly matured dragons into their proper tab as soon as possible.

I have to agree that since pagination has been put in, I would much rather have my dragons within different tabs. If we have to have different pages, i want to pick what goes on what pages....

This would make my life so much easier and not require me to create special spreadsheets to sort all the dragons I have so people can find an easier way to request gifts. If we are going to have individual pages, why can't I pick what I want to put on each page?

Just recently my boyfriend watched me sort my dragons and commented "now I know why it's called a 'scroll', because you have to scroll around so much". xd.png

It takes me about half a minute on average to move a new dragon to where I want it, and trying to breed to a dragon all the way at the bottom of the list is no great fun either, so while I can certainly live with it as it is, any improvement would be welcome and this one sounds quite useful.

I would love this... I was just contemplating a whole scroll resort but then the thought of actually sitting down and doing it filled me with dread... and I don't have nearly as many dragons as some of you!

I would definitely love to have them sorted in tabbed groups, as they are in my head and on my collection spreadsheets.

Please, please, please

limit the number per tab to facilitate loading, but give us the option to sort by tab.

It seems to work OK on other sites-----

... and trying to breed to a dragon all the way at the bottom of the list is no great fun either, so while I can certainly live with it as it is, any improvement would be welcome and this one sounds quite useful.

If you use a PC, *ctrl+F* to open the *find* box, type the name in, and hit *find*. That would save you a few minutes of scrolling.

Please please please with a cherry on top??

This would greatly enhance play for many of us. Pagination as it is could be the default for people who don't want to bother, but this would be great for those of us into lineages and other things like poems and stuff.

Yes please. Pages aren't fun for sorting. x.x;

I'd love to give this a shot; it would make sorting my lineages so much easier. Complete support.