Peralta

ANSWERED:Sort by Tabs

I hope this topic has not been forgotten... Right now I don't have many dragons on my scroll, but I'm pretty sure that soon it will be harder and harder to ogranise them the way I want. I imagine that with thousands of dragons and complicated lineages keeping your scroll in order must be extremely tiresome.

I can see that people have been asking for solution of this problem for years... I think that customisable tabs would be very, very helpful and I'm sure that the vast majority of users would love to having them.

Yes, so tiresome that 5 out of my 17 pages (default setting) are completely unsorted, and 2 more pages are only partially sorted because I gave up at some point ...

I'm at over 3,000 dragons which take up 12+ pages @ 250 per page.

Trying to keep my dragons sorted is just barely possible using Legacy Sort. None of the other sorts are worth using with this many dragons, and re-sorting anything more than a handful at a time takes hours.

TJ, you may not like to copy or even resemble other similar sites, but I highly recommend that you investigate the sorting system on MagiStream. I have over 8,000 creatures on that game and sorting only takes seconds.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

TJ, you may not like to copy or even resemble other similar sites, but I highly recommend that you investigate the sorting system on MagiStream. I have over 8,000 creatures on that game and sorting only takes seconds.

With this new sorting thing he just released, he got the code from someone else and modified it to his standards:

user posted image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link:

http://static.dragcave.net/jquery.multisortable.min.js

So, I don't think he has any problem with being similar to another site, in regards to a sorting system.

How tabs would look? Would they be like sortabl boxes where you put your dragons? How many boxes per page would there be?

Here is my MagiStream link. The Main tab is your front page where your growing eggs and hatchlings would be kept. That tab stays forever and cannot be deleted.. the other tabs can be named as you like and drag/dropped into whatever order you wish... and you can have a total of 50 tabs.

That's how MagiStream does it. How TJ would make them work is pure speculation.

Edit to add: You can sort within each tab by one of two methods.. a default setting; which on MS is by creature release number... or by custom sort; which is simply drag and drop.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

It seems nice. However I like to see all my dragons togheter, so I would like to have as default all dragons in one page or max 3 if it's possible and over my scroll there could be all these tabs.

It could be see as a giant update of DC since if we call each tab as "scroll" we would have many scrolls and our account would become a library with a collection of different scrolls. It would be also justified for the DC background: if we should be adventurers who drawn and collect informations about dragons I would keep my informations neatly divided in many books.

I'm not suggesting of having multiple accounts, just to be clear.

Edited by Naruhina_94

I don't really want to use tabs so as long as it was optional and I could continue to sort the way I do now then I'm neutral on tabs.

It seems nice. However I like to see all my dragons togheter, so I would like to have as default all dragons in one page or max 3 if it's possible and over my scroll there could be all these tabs.

It could be see as a giant update of DC since if we call each tab as "scroll" we would have many scrolls and our account would become a library with a collection of different scrolls. It would be also justified for the DC background: if we should be adventurers who drawn and collect informations about dragons I would keep my informations neatly divided in many books.

I'm not suggesting of having multiple accounts, just to be clear.

Here is how the MS Tab Sorting page looks like: (click thumbnail for bigger picture)

user posted image

You can see all my tabs at the top of my box, and you can see all the tab links in each creatures section, to the right.

You just click which tab you want them to go into (the blue links on right are the destination tabs).

Sorting takes seconds this way. I have not used the mass move feature yet, so I don't know how that works.

Here is the Custom Sorting within a tab: (click thumbnail for bigger picture)

user posted image

To move the critters up or down in the list, you click and drag them, then hit the "save changes" button to the upper right. You can click on other tabs to sort them also.

Bumping this as it is something I think would be EXTREMELY useful. It would make things so much easier when making lineages, for example.

I don't have nearly as many dragons as some people have but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a tabbing ability.

First of all, I usually wait until I have 50 or more dragons that need to be 'dealt with' and then find an evening when I don't have anything else to do. The new sorting helps some with time, but it still takes a LONG time.

Second, it would be really nice to be able to quickly and easily click on a tab to go to the dragons I'm looking for rather than trying to remember which page they are on.

Finally, I think having the ability to tab or not should be available.

Yes...yes to tabs.

I support this wholeheartedly! I'd love to have tabs for all my Holiday dragons and a tab for all the growing things.

I'd love a better way to sort and organize. I made an accidental duplicate thread with this suggestion (which has been locked by now), because I couldn't find this thread (it seems to poof every few days).

For linage breeders and people who simply love well-organized, neat groups of objects, this feature would be amazing. It would make projects much easier to keep track of, you could keep a "Trade" tab in which you could leave eggs/hatchlings you plan to trade, and just neatly sort everything so the unsorted Scroll isn't as irritatingly long. I'm not even on 150 dragons yet, but have several individuals of certain species, making it a pain to find one in the masses.

Huge support.

Edited by HellfireFriend

Please Tj, offer us Tabs for Christmas xd.png

I'm getting desperate without them. I have 10 pages of dragons in my scroll, and growing...can't find the dragons I wish anymore sad.gif

If tabs were added, my scroll organization and tracking would become MUCH easier!

Something like what Magistream uses would be perfect and awesome.

This would be very useful, especially to people with a large number of dragons. Full support.

This would be like the (edit: Teleport) selector, right?

You would have your dragons as you like on your scroll, but just have a linked page in Accounts with, as suggested earlier on the thread, 50 categories in which you could assign and call up the dragons in those specific categories, know what you had in there was in whatever category you wanted to find without poking through thousands of dragons checking endless commons because you thought you recalled having some lineage like that to pair something with, whether male or female, somewhere?

You would save endless hours and be able to find the lines you wanted far more easily every time you were looking to breed?

And when trying to breed someone you've just been 'talking' to a decent gift and your better Prizes and metallics don't pan out, you could have your prettiest lineages collected and easy to find, so the people don't go offline in the interim, while you spend an hour or three searching for and trying pairings in each category that you happen to think of, scattered through years of accumulation?

And when you just wanted CBs for 2nd gens, they could be in the same place with viewable lineages/breeding history, unlike the breeding pages?

There have been so many times I start looking for something, repeatedly get no/wrong eggs from what I do find, have multiple different pages up with other dragons I've come across and forgotten that I had and have never found a mate for, but think I might somewhere, or might have but they didn't produce an egg - and wind up running out of time or whatever...

I wind up really not breeding much any more apart from Prize attempts, and I do have pretty lines I'd like to share, if I could remember where and what they were.

I'd adore something like the above...

Edited by Syphoneira

Here's my issue with tabs as I understand them: as far as I can tell each dragon could be under only one tab. Many of my dragons would sort under multiple tabs. For instance: the Fifth Element dragons, the 'Z' project dragons, CB dragons, even Gen dragons (by generation), by breed. And so on. And yes, I have several dragons that would fit under 4 of those "tabs."

Now, if there were a way to have both tabs and labels...

Here's my issue with tabs as I understand them: as far as I can tell each dragon could be under only one tab. Many of my dragons would sort under multiple tabs. For instance: the Fifth Element dragons, the 'Z' project dragons, CB dragons, even Gen dragons (by generation), by breed. And so on. And yes, I have several dragons that would fit under 4 of those "tabs."

People who want tabs for organising their scrolls should really go and check for the tags-suggestion. It handles a lit of,stuff nicer than tabs, if your main concern is “finding“ things.

Not sure what the difference is between tabs and labels, think I saw an explanation way back but really don't recall?

Personally, I'd be hoping for something like the Active Transfer link, where different dragons could be fully accessed - lineages, breeding history and all - according to assigned category, but not actually moved from whatever scroll sort people desired...

Edit: ooooops, missed a letter typing again...

Edited by Syphoneira

People who want tabs for organising their scrolls should really go and check for the tags-suggestion. It handles a lit of,stuff nicer than tabs, if your main concern is “finding“ things.

You are obsessed with tags and labels. tongue.gif

I personally would love a combination, but I'll support ANYTHING that gives us even the least little bit more ability to organize our scrolls / ease finding things.

Cheers!

C4.

Not sure what the difference is between tabs and labels, think I saw an explanation way back but really don't recall?

Here's an illustration that I hope makes it more clear:

Tabs: think of a filing cabinet, with tabbed folders in it. Each piece of paper goes in the file folder that is appropriate for the sorting method used, but each paper can only be in one folder. So, if your filing system is sorted by client name "Bob" would be in the "B" folder. So would "Byron" but his wife "Claudia" would be in the "C" folder.

In a system that uses tags or labels "Bob" could be tagged with "B", but also "Accounts Payable" since "Bob" is a supplier. "Byron" could be tagged with "B" but also with "Couples" and any number of other appropriate tags (or labels). Gmail uses labels to help sort email. You can tag an email with as many different labels as you choose. Then when you want to find something you use the labels to only load the ones with that label.

We already have something of the sort in place with the filter sort that lets us view only dragons with available BSAs or that are currently breedable. I just want to expand that by being able to add my own labels.

ETA: whitebaron, I think you mean this topic? I did post my support long ago. If we can only have one I'd rather have tags/labels/filters over tabs but both would be nice. I'll take either I can get.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Tabs: think of a filing cabinet, with tabbed folders in it. Each piece of paper goes in the file folder that is appropriate for the sorting method used, but each paper can only be in one folder. So, if your filing system is sorted by client name "Bob" would be in the "B" folder. So would "Byron" but his wife "Claudia" would be in the "C" folder.

In a system that uses tags or labels "Bob" could be tagged with "B", but also "Accounts Payable" since "Bob" is a supplier. "Byron" could be tagged with "B" but also with "Couples" and any number of other appropriate tags (or labels). Gmail uses labels to help sort email. You can tag an email with as many different labels as you choose. Then when you want to find something you use the labels to only load the ones with that label.

We already have something of the sort in place with the filter sort that lets us view only dragons with available BSAs or that are currently breedable. I just want to expand that by being able to add my own labels.

ETA: whitebaron, I think you mean this topic? I did post my support long ago. If we can only have one I'd rather have tags/labels/filters over tabs but both would be nice. I'll take either I can get.

This is why I'd prefer tags over tabs - the versatility. Most of my dragons fit into more than one "category", but currently I'm forced to organise them in huge overlapping lists. I don't see how tabs would solve that for me, I'd still have to decide between sorting something like this as a 2G *or* a spriter alt offspring *or* a member of the Stripe/Snow Angel lineage it's a part of. dry.gif

Thanks, Fiona!

The labels you've described would be great!

For organizing I still prefer tabs... aka secondary scroll pages

Using tags and filters is all fine and dandy, but remembering what you tagged which with would take a spreadsheet all it's own.

Which is why I prefer NOT using the same dragon for multiple projects. I'd rather steal/breed another dragon just like the first one to use with the new project.

I prefer simple and organized, over trying to remember what tag goes with which project.