Peralta

ANSWERED:Sort by Tabs

I'd like to have tabs AND tags/filters so I can sort things better and have an easy time finding things. I'd be really happy with one or the other- just, anything, please.

Drat, I thought that meant that the multiple available labels/tags (or better yet, if feasible, a listing of self-named files? Like the sort of drop-down file you get on Outlook? Only linked right on the dragon's page, to assign them to different categories as you acquire/come across them) would organize dragons to appear in separate accessible files collecting all of a self-designated type together, where, like Teleport, the dragons of whichever kind could be viewed/bred as a collection of like/associated dragons on separate self-labelled links on a page accessible via a link in Accounts or the scroll page (scroll page getting cluttered enough, though).

Then you could just call up access to the same dragons into multiple files suitable for them/you, once they were entered into each, without disrupting your scroll order or having to scroll through thousands of dragons looking for them.

You wouldn't have to remember what you'd tagged anyone with, because they'd automatically appear in each and every project/category they were labelled for.

Lol, I think I'm just too chronically overtired to absorb things properly...

Repeating my previous post - does anyone know if there any Suggestion like this anywhere, and what the term would be for it?

This would be like the (edit: Teleport) selector, right?

You would have your dragons as you like on your scroll, but just have a linked page in Accounts with, as suggested earlier on the thread, 50 categories in which you could assign and call up the dragons in those specific categories, know what you had in there was in whatever category you wanted to find without poking through thousands of dragons checking endless commons because you thought you recalled having some lineage like that to pair something with, whether male or female, somewhere?

You would save endless hours and be able to find the lines you wanted far more easily every time you were looking to breed?

And when trying to breed someone you've just been 'talking' to a decent gift and your better Prizes and metallics don't pan out, you could have your prettiest lineages collected and easy to find, so the people don't go offline in the interim, while you spend an hour or three searching for and trying pairings in each category that you happen to think of, scattered through years of accumulation?

And when you just wanted CBs for 2nd gens, they could be in the same place with viewable lineages/breeding history, unlike the breeding pages?

There have been so many times I start looking for something, repeatedly get no/wrong eggs from what I do find, have multiple different pages up with other dragons I've come across and forgotten that I had and have never found a mate for, but think I might somewhere, or might have but they didn't produce an egg - and wind up running out of time or whatever...

I wind up really not breeding much any more apart from Prize attempts, and I do have pretty lines I'd like to share, if I could remember where and what they were.

I'd adore something like the above...

Right, Symphoneira. Ideally, rather than on the accounts page, I'd rather have the list of labels/tags in the same filter sort drop down menu as the one we have now that can show only dragons available for breeding or bsa's.

Cinnamin, I do understand why you'd prefer tabs. If tabs are like a filing cabinet with each dragon slotted into its "proper drawer" labels are like sticky notes on each file, and the files are heaped on top of the desk. Your handy dandy magic elf then retrieves all the ones that have the label you're searching for when you ask for "CB dragons" or whatever.

You wouldn't have to remember what each label was, because they'd all be in the dropdown menu, and hopefully you've selected tags that are descriptive enough so you know what they apply to, but it wouldn't sort your dragons for you.

Ideally I'd prefer to have both methods. Tabs for grouping my dragons by project (for example) and labels (or tags - same thing, different name) so that I can pull up specific sets of dragons by whatever common trait I am looking for. Both would be optional, so Cinnamin could just use the tabs, someone else could chose to just use the labels, and those who like both could use both.

Plus the labels would be only for looking for something on your own scroll, and the tabs would be something everyone visiting your scroll would see.

Personally, I would love to have something like this:

user posted image

1. Dragons' breeds. Every dragon - or any other creature on your scroll - automatically gets a tag with its breed's name as soon as it hatches, and all breeds' names are displayed on the left side of your scroll. You click, for example, "Golden Wyverns" and you see only Golden Wyverns, including adults, hatchling and frozen hatchlings.

2. Your tags. You can give each of your dragons a second tag, for example, "PB", "Stairstep", "Silvermoon Grays Lineage" etc. Names of these tags are displayed on the right side of your scroll. You click, for example, "PBs" and you see only purebreds, including adults, hatchlings and frozen hatchlings. You can give only one tag of this kind to each dragon.

3. Filter by... - new filter options with generations' numbers (from CBs to... maybe to the 20th gen.?). You check "CBs" and you see only CB dragons, including adults, hatchlings and frozen hatchlings.

...and imagine that you can combine these three filters. You can use, for example, combination "Golden Wyverns", "PBs", "gen. 4.". Or "Shimmerscales", "Stairsteps", "gen. 3.". Or "Silver Dragons", "My Project", "gen. 2.". Or "Shadow Walkers", "From spriters' alts". Or "Pink Dragons", "Inbreds". So many possibilities!

So... well, that's how I'd like to have it smile.gif

ETA: whitebaron, I think you mean this topic? I did post my support long ago. If we can only have one I'd rather have tags/labels/filters over tabs but both would be nice. I'll take either I can get.

Yes. And i really dislike how people always get linked to the tabs thread, even if their proposal is different, since it really dilutes from,what they want. It's also the reason why back when this discussion heated up 2 years ago, i made this thread as well:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...=148640&hl=poll

But its pretty obvious TJ has no interest in either, which is very disheartening, to say the least. Superflous additional features over extending existing ones, that's what i think about the encyclopedia.

2. Your tags. You can give each of your dragons a second tag, for example, "PB", "Stairstep", "Silvermoon Grays Lineage" etc. Names of these tags are displayed on the right side of your scroll. You click, for example, "PBs" and you see only purebreds, including adults, hatchlings and frozen hatchlings. You can give only one tag of this kind to each dragon.

Being able to put more than one tag on a dragon is the whole point of that suggestion. Otherwise, there's not much of a difference between tabs and tags.

Wow. Almost five years old. Except for the one tag per dragon limit, I really like Aurigena's example. Having the tag-tabs as well as the main dragon list is really useful but it may be easier to have a more compressed version of the species tab list. This is really good.

Being able to put more than one tag on a dragon is the whole point of that suggestion. Otherwise, there's not much of a difference between tabs and tags.

This is not precisely true. tags usually do not care about sorting within the tagging mechanism, while most people endorsing TABS as in this thread, want to be able to sort within their tabs as well. So you'd only have sort per tab, not per scroll, and could custom sort your heart out within your tabs.

Tags could care less how you sorted your scroll, its just there to limit lists. And they do a lot better job at it than tabs.

Technically, in that example every dragon has at last three tags: breed, generation and "your tag". I just thought that the first two could be generated automatically. I suppose that many players - maybe even the majority of them - would want to tag their dragons by breed and generation anyway.

I agree that many "your tags" for one dragon could be nice, but I don't know how to make this work with a reasonable number of filters / sidebars with tabs. For example, you have a dragon with tags "Nebula", "Red female", "Stairstep", "2nd gen.", "Lineage Project 01", "Lineage Project 02", "Lineage Project 03" etc. I suppose that if you have many dragons (hundreds? maybe thousands?) and you want to tag them all in a similar way... well, chaos ensues.

I don't know how to deal with this "too many tags" problem so that you could not only tag your dragons the way you want, but also easily find the dragon you need. unsure.gif

...but it may be easier to have a more compressed version of the species tab list.

Sure, it's just a general project made in Paint wink.gif

Edited by Aurigena

If you didn't want that many tags then you could just not use them but, though it may take a while to sort, the end result would be useful and look nice.

I like this suggestion! I see a lot of scroll that use frozen hatchies as headers (commons / drakes / rares / etc) and I've been considering that as well, but simply offering tabs would serve much better. And we're talking about a scroll, which is basically a piece of paper, so there's no reason why you can't break it up into pages or sections.

I want tags and tabs.

We don't have either, so as a result, this is my "real scroll" and the one on DragCave is mainly sorted to denote which dragons I haven't organized yet.

Having it on DragCave itself would be SO MUCH EASIER. As it is, I'm about 3k+ dragon pages behind in my wiki I set up... But it's the only way I can track my dragons properly.

Tabs would make things way easier for me... I have OCD and neeeeeeed an easier way to sort (and search through) my scroll. Where do I vote?!!! smile.gif

I want tags and tabs, but I'd be happy with either. Just... Something!

Cheers!

C4.

I like this or tags. I hope we can put the same dragon in multiple tabs; if not, I prefer tags.

Agreed.

You can have both tags and tabs, but they don't work together...

You can tag something with multiple tags and then use a filter to sort out the dragons with a particular tag. Change the filter and get another list with another tag. But the list isn't permanent.. every time you want to see that list again, you have to use the filter again.

Tabs tho are a physical separation and a permanent listing. Put something in tab A.. B.. or C, and when you go back to that tab you'll see everything sorted into that tab and nothing else. But you can't put the same dragon into different tabs.. it just doesn't work that way.

The problem that I see with tags is that you still have to deal with pagination and an arbitrary sort from the programmed choices. It doesn't actually sort, organize or separate your scroll UNLESS you use a temporary filter to show a tagged set of dragons.

Tabs on the other hand are permanent sorts until you physically change them. You only see the dragons in the tab you select. This means faster load times, easier identification of particular dragons, and less confusion when breeding (provided that you keep pairs in the same tab).

There are pros and cons to both methods.. I'm just stating MY opinion.. I prefer TABS because they are the better type for organization and appearance. Tags just seem sloppy and disorganized to me because they are only temporary.. and I hate doing the same thing over and over again to get the same result, when another method is available that is always the same.

I don't see a reason why it should not be possible to sort a dragon in more than one tab. Just because that's how tabs work on other sites? We don't have tabs on DC yet, so we can decide how we want them to work on this site and invent a feature that can do the best of tabs and tags combined smile.gif

There are no actual dragons on our scrolls anyway, just little hand-drawn images that represent them - so what's to stop us from making several lists for our dragons and drawing the same individual twice on two different lists? And of course, while we make those lists, we determine the order of dragons on it, and once it's written down it is permanent until we change it.

And that's exactly what I want so see: a ) sorting one dragon in multiple tabs, and b ) sorting within one tab which is permanent.

If that messes somehow with the definition of tabs on other sites, let's just call them tabgs instead xd.png

Edited by Ha-Ki

Why have I not seen this before? also the front page examples dont work but if this works like I think it does then why is it not a thing? or at least why is it not a thing that has been confirmed as a thing that might be a thing in the future by the boss man? Boss man why you no love us and give us infos man.

In all seriousness a way to sort dragons into physically separated tabs/sections/whatever would be great to not only have an easy way to find things for one's self but if its possible for the sort to be visible by others as well as giving them the ability to navigate through this kind of sort it means we can sort things like dragons for free breeding in one tab for people to see, holidays and potential mates in another for trading, and so on. This would allow for users to easily organize their dragons not only for their ease but for the ease of those they interact with and breed for.

I am one of those who prefers special sorts to be visible only to the scroll owner. See under this thread about being able to sort the scrolls of others in whatever way you choose (as in someone else coming in to mine and looking for my CBs, or my BSA dragons or whatever.) If they want to look, they can do it the hard way. Sorting MY scroll is my privilege. Same goes for any tabs/tags etc.

I'd like the arrangements/tabs limited to being viewed by the scroll owner - and tags - I REALLY think those would only confuse if others could look using them...

Okay well the rason I made the statement about arranging my scroll so its easy for others as well as me is I play a game called howrse. You have "breeding farms" that you organize as you see fit. Many take advantage of this and use these farms to sepparate their horses by breed, Genetic potential, breeding status, sales, etc.

This way its easier for them personally to find what they need. Their arrangement is visible to others as well and they can search the players horses according to how they have them sorted. Its a personal sort that reflect both privately and publicly and I think its wonderful.

if the idea is similar to my explanation it means if you have your BSA's sorted under a tab labeled BSA's, Your flamingos and falconis in another labeled after the breeding lineage for those, and so on, it would reflect on your public scroll and make it easy not just for you to search your own dragons under particular tabs, but others will have that ease as well.

I don't know if I explained this right...

And that's my point. I don't want others to see how I choose to sort my scroll except for the sort I use publicly. I don't want others to be able to seek out my CBs the easy way and start bugging me. Yes I willingly breed for free - but there are people here who... well, let's just say I block their PMs in the end...

But many of them ARE just plain thoughtless - and there would be a lot more of that if they had extra ways to look for things they might fancy if they found them.

You can go to howrse when you want to do that stuff, after all. I get increasingly tired of "why can't we make this game more like that game".

Many of us are here because we like THIS game, and don't actually want to play chickensmoothie (or howrse !) or whatever.

edited because I REALLY need to learn to type

Edited by fuzzbucket

You could sort dragons that you breed for free in a "dragon requests" tab to make it clear that people are only allowed to pm you about those in that tab?

Personally, I want that sorting to be visible for others as well because I think it does have advantages. If I offer on someone's trade and tell them I'd breed them whatever they'd like from my scroll, a neatly organized sorting that is visible to them is exactly what I want. Also, it would be a shame to do all the sorting work and then be the only one who can view it, while for everyone else it's still the same old mess xd.png

I hate when people say "let's make it optional" as a standard answer to everything, but now I'm going to use it myself. If there are more users who prefer to keep their tabs private, an option whether or not to display tabs on your public scroll might be the way to do it.

I'm just remembering a suggestion where someone wanted to be able to decide which adults are visible to the public. I can't recall how much support that suggestion got, but it could be combined with tabs easily if you can choose for each single tab whether or not it's visible to the public. So you could just make an invisible "private" tab for the stuff you don't want to be bothered about?

Edited for typos

Edited by Ha-Ki

You could sort dragons that you breed for free in a "dragon requests" tab to make it clear that people are only allowed to pm you about those in that tab?

Personally, I want that sorting to be visible for others as well because I think it does have advantages. If I offer on someone's trade and tell them I'd breed them whatever they'd like from my scroll, a neatly organized sorting that is visible to them is exactly what I want. Also, it would be a shame to do all the sorting work and then be the only one who can view it, while for everyone else it's still the same old mess xd.png

I hate when people say "let's make it optional" as a standard answer to everything, but now I'm going to use it myself. If there are more users who prefer to keep their tabs private, an option whether or not to display tabs on your public scroll might be the way to do it.

I'm just remembering a suggestion where someone wanted to be able to decide which adults are visible to the public. I can't recall how much support that suggestion got, but it could be combined with tabs easily if you can choose for each single tab whether or not it's visible to the public. So you could just make an invisible "private" tab for the stuff you don't want to be bothered about?

Yes - fair enough.

Edited for typos

I like the idea of being able to choose which tabs are available to the public to see. I'd love a tab of CBs to be available for viewing but at the same time I'd was my personal lineage projects somewhat private.