Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

There were a lot of soldiers working as Hyro’s forces, and as they occupied the whole World, it was impossible to get to meet all of them. And even if Ryoka, Solara and Alexander were probably three of the few elves on the king’s side, it was totally possible that they hadn’t met before. That is why the female twin didn’t recognise her former fellow sister in arms.

She was about to climb over Asuka’s back, as she knew that the dragoness loved the sky and was already getting nervous of being earth bounded for so long. But Matthew’s question stopped her, and the elf turned to face both him and his dragon. “A Horse hatchling…” Solara examined Questra from tail to snout, and stayed silent for a moment. “As magic is not those species strong point, she will have to fly by using the sheer strength of her muscles. Dragons that can use magic and the forces of nature can aid themselves with spells and even by controlling the wind to make the flight smoother and easier, but she will have to learn a different way. I believe that is an advantage, as most dragons never learn to fly using only their muscles, and sometimes if conditions aren’t adequate they find themselves in trouble in the sky.”

At that point, Asuka let out a soft growl as if in agreement with her rider.

“So it is necessary for her to start exercising her muscles, especially since she will need to have strong legs to be able to do running-take off’s. She can start by carrying weight, maybe small stones at first and later adding more, to gradually get used to fly under the pressure of a body. That is to start with. Asuka will then teach her better.”

… do you want to kill me?

Why would I?

I hate hatchlings!

Well, these are growing up so they will not be hatchlings for long…

I never liked to teach and you know that! That was Lord’s job…

Lord is not here anymore, so you will have to take his place now…

While that internal discussion was taking place, Solara turned and spoke to Matthew. “And as for you…” She began, and asked: “Are you planning to use a saddle or to ride bare-back? And, do you know how to use magic?”

-------------

When the door opened, Alexander returned Katelyn’s head bow and stepped inside. Behind him, Malena tilted her head and waved her tail in a dog manner way of greeting the woman, and then trotted towards the stable entrance.

He didn’t have to wait to get the answers he wanted, and just as he entered the quarters, the elf found heard the reason behind the change in the chain of command. He didn’t congratulate her mainly for two reasons, the first one being that he knew that being second in command also meant danger, and the second was because Katelyn’s next words took his whole attention.

“Even if we were born as twins, and it is indeed said that the bond between them is stronger than that of two normal siblings, Solara is now a traitor and I will treat her for what she is.” Were his first words of reply. And even though he felt a stab of pain as he spoke, the elf sounded and was determinate. “My duty is and will always be to protect my people from danger, and by turning she became a menace. A good soldier always puts its duty before its feelings.” Alexander had been raised to follow orders almost blindly, after all, much like a tamed dragon.

“And as for knowing beforehand about her betrayal, I must say that I did, at least partially.” There was no reason to hide it, if there even were some fellows that already knew what had happened. “In reality, I got rid of the one who was filling her mind with those stupid ideas of rebellion…”

One could notice the hate in his words while he spoke about an unknown person. Stay calm, boy… Lord soothed him from the distance.

“... and I thought that would end the problem. I was mistaken. And Solara has always been skilled at lying, and so she was able to hide her true thoughts from me. Should I had known her true intentions, I would have stopped her. But I was fooled. And that won’t happen again.” Once more, determination in his words. It was clear that if both elves roads crossed again, things would end up differently than the last time.

Meanwhile, Malena popped her head out from the stable’s door, and looked around in search of Sleet. She didn’t had to look for a long time to find him, because let’s say that it isn’t really difficult to spot a gigantic blue dragon inside of a room. Oh, hello my dear. Won’t you invite me in? She asked, in her always over-friendly but polite way.

Edited by Mystic_Solara

((Chicias is one country in the world, not the name of the entire world.))

((Also, once Solara is done would anyone object to a minor timeskip to their arrival at the flotilla?))

((I vote in favour of the Time skip. There isn't much else to be had there. But can it wait until Black and Solara finish with Alex and Katelyn that way we can just timeskip to the morning of training at the same time.))

((Kk, sounds good.))

((Also, I made up the formations myself. They're probably pretty basic formations though.))

Edited by Kjakings

((Sorry, long post tongue.gif Time skip is okay, but if you don't mind, I'd like to get this deal between Katelyn and Alexander over with first.))

+++++++

Questra pretended not to listen, still munching the hay as if she hadn't fed in a long time. But while eating, she strained the muscles in her wings and legs for a moment. She didn't much like the prospect of having weight added to her, but it was a fact she would have to build up strength if she was to become a good flyer for Matthew. Though probably nobody else would have noticed, Matthew had in fact noticed the way her legs twitched and he had to keep from chuckling. Something inside him told him Questra would start training the moment Solara and Asuka had turned their back. Hearing the question to him, he shrugged slightly.

"I honestly don't know yet. I don't have a saddle yet, so I will have to start bareback anyhow. But if I can get my hands on a proper saddle, I think I would like to train with both. After all, a saddle with straps holding me onto Questra will give me advantage with the more acrobatic movements and speed, while being able to ride bareback as well will give me the advantage that I won't be bound to a saddle and will be able to come into action right away if need calls for it. As to magic, I'm afraid that if I or Questra have any magic in us, we haven't discovered it so far." It was hard to admit not having any magic, but Matthew refused to let this get him down. Though magical strength counted most in a battle, not even having to come near another, physical strength was not to be underestimated.

+++++++

Katelyn kept her eyes trained firmly on the elf. His revelation that he had known on beforehand of his sister's betrayal surprised her slightly, though she didn't show it. Though many - if not most - would immediately assume him guilty, Katelyn was not like most. This did not mean he had a completely clean sleat with her, but she was willing to give him a chance. The fact he admitted knowing it, meant to Katelyn he was not one to shy away from his responsibilities. That he didn't report it to Taja or Hyro had been wrong, but she could understand he had wanted to try and solve it himself, as it was and remained his twin. Giving a single nod, Katelyn replied.

"Seen as to my current position, you will understand I can not say your actions were correct. In truth, some kind of correction or punishment would be in order." Shifting on her feet, she started to slowly pace from one side to the other once more.

"Personally I believe you have already been punished enough. A betrayal by your own sister, your twin even, and getting badly hurt by her own hand can be considered a serious enough punishment, not to mention the fact some of the force might not be able to trust you easliy again. If it was just me, I would let you go with that knowledge. But unfortunately matters are not so easy any longer. You must also understand I can not just let you go without some kind of punishment, just to... 'soothe' the minds of the others. Unfortunately I am not yet as good as our Lord Hyro himself in thinking up punishments, so I was thinking about stable duties for two months." Stopping at the doors to the stables, she looked at Sleet and Malena. Turning back to look at him, she continued.

"Mucking out the stables of horses and dragons, carrying food up to them, cleaning those who need to be cleaned. But of course, your punishment can only be started once you are healthy enough and there is no risk of straining your injuries. You are also to follow the trainings I will be starting for the whole force and join in the outdoor trainings and - if there are any - possible fights. This will not give you all that much time for the stable duties, so you are not to worry that the horses or dragons will be mall nurished or filthy if there is a day you can not do the job." A faint glint could be seen in her eye before she started pacing once more. She had given him a punishment indeed, or so it would be told to the others. That he wouldn't have the time to fullfill said punishment, that could not be helped.

I think we need to trust him, Sleet.

It's your call. What says your gut feeling?

My gut feeling says I need some kind of ally to protect me from Gelltor.

Your call.

Hearing the Hellfire dragon, the ice dragon turned his head slightly and lifted a brow. Giving an almost smirking grin, Sleet shifted slightly in the stable, making room for Malena. The stable was more than large enough for two mature dragons, so he didn't really have to make any room. But what kind of gentleman would he have been, if he didn't at least make some kind of gesture?

Mi casa- eh estable es tu estable, bella dragón.

Katelyn finally stopped pacing before Alexander once more. Looking him straight in the eyes, she finally put out the question she had truly called him here for.

"With that matter dealt with, I have another matter I wish to discuss with you. A proposition. I want you to become my personal bodyguard." Not giving him a second to think about it, she started to explain in order to give him all the fact. That way he would be able to weigh all pro's and contra's before giving a reply.

"The position of second-in-command is a precarious one. Not only in regards to our Lord Hyro's moods, but also in regards to the others of the force. There are those who would rather have not seen me lifted to this position, even though it was not by my own will. And there are those who seem to have plans for me I do not know about and will probably not much like. Unfortunately I can not continuously keep my eyes on my own back and thus I had thought about finding someone to guard me. It will be a demanding position and not an easy one. You will not truly be part of a team anymore, having to dog me almost like a shadow. Which is why I don't order you to become my bodyguard, but ask you. Feel free to take a day or whatever time you need to think about it and come back to me with your answer. No repercussions if the answer is no, you can be sure about that." Keeping her eyes fixed on his, she felt a slight nervous twitch in her stomach.

There, it's been asked. No way back.

(No problem either!)

Should she have being paying attention to the hatchling; perhaps Solara would have noticed her movements and acknowledged them to a coincidence. But she had being paying attention to the rider, nevertheless. “Yes, saddles are useful but knowing how to ride bareback is a must too. I can, and I will if you let me, teach you all to do that and to craft saddles. That skill can come in handy too.” She nodded in agreement to his words, to then address the matter of magic. “All dragons, and therefore riders, have some magic in them. As you said, you just need to discover, and learn how to control it later…”

Right then, she gazed at Rio and Ayos. They had been silent for a while. That pair would surely be the exact opposite to Matthew and Questra: the magi was exactly that, a born magic user, and he would need to train that strength but also learn how to exploit his physical abilities.

Meanwhile, the Day Glory Drake was tired of sitting still and listening to the two legged’s conversation. Looking around, she saw the mountain of hay that Questra was munching on, and squealed happily. After stretching her body in a cat-like manner, Hikari leaped across the wooden deck of the ship and jumped headlong into the mountain of hay, to later pop her head out and look from Ayos to Asuka to Questra, as if inviting them to plau.

The thunder dragon covered her eyes with a claw and shook her head. I am surrounded by idiots… She thought, embarrassed.

-----------

What a gentleman. Malena covered her snout with one wing and giggled, much like she was a young human lady, at Sleet’s words. But hey, I hope that you moving like that doesn’t mean that you think I am fat and cat fit in that space. She said next, pointing the Ice dragon menacingly with a wingtip while she stepped into the stable. Look at your new home! It’s gorgeous! I would gladly become Hy’s first to blame if I get to have one of these! The Hellfire stretched her neck gracefully and turned her head to be able to examine the room more closely.

A punishment- it didn’t surprised Alexander to get one. The only reason why he hadn’t informed to his superiors what had happened, was because he never expected Solara to betray all of them. And two months of cleaning the stables didn’t sound so bad, to be honest… more so if he thought about the punishments he had seen Hyro delivering.

Half a smile crossed his face when Katelyn continued talking. “I will fulfil my punishment, of course, and will always make sure that it doesn’t interfere with my training sessions as you said.” The elf granted. He was grateful at her because she knew that the woman was in her right of being way harder with him. But she was right: having lost his sister because of his own ingenuity and incapability of seeing the truth was scourge enough.

Then came a proposition the elf hadn’t been expecting, but he could understand perfectly the reasons behind it. Now, Katelyn would not only have the pressure of being the one in charge of taking Hyro’s words into action, knowing that a mistake could cost a lot, but also she would have to face those who would want her down… “It is a regrettable fact thar we have to watch out from even our brothers and sisters in arms. We could be much stronger if we learned how to work together… “ Easy to say but not to do, he knew, as most of those brothers and sisters only cared for their own personal success. “Please give me a moment to speak with my dragons. This decision affects them both too.”

Heard it?

Yep. Came both replies immediately.

And what do you think?

If I’ll get one room like Sleet’s, accept it!

Tss, this is not about a room, Mal. Lord Scarlet retorted disapprovingly. It is about the extra work loan this will mean to Alexander.

Say what?

Lady Katelyn stated it herself. That will be a demanding job, and you already are doing more than what you are asked. The vampire was saying the truth: Alexander had the hero complex, after all, and he tended to do overwork when he saw that something wasn’t being done in the time or way it should, or simply because he was restless. You already work enough when you should be resting and letting those wounds heal. And tell me, what are you going to do when you are fully back on duty? How will you fulfil your soldier tasks, and guard Katelyn?

I will find a way… this will not be the first time we will have to handle more than one duty, after all.

Fair enough… I guess… and what about the others? You know well that they won’t hesitate if they have to erase you from the map to get their hands on Katelyn…

I will erase them first, then. Isn’t that the duty of a body guard?

Away in his stable, the dragon sighed and shook his head. He knew stubborn the boy could be when he wanted. You are an elf, and you are immortal to age but that doesn’t mean that you can’t die from other means. Even from exhaustion. But you know I support your decisions, so go ahead. I just hope that you are able to stop before reaching your limit.

I will take that into account.

Malena had been silent for almost all the conversation. She wanted to pretend that she didn’t cared about the elf, but in reality she was as worried as the other dragon. And Alexander knew that.

But despite his dragons’ feelings, the soldier turned to face the woman after some minutes of silence, which were obviously the result of the silent conversation he had been having with the other two. “We will take the task, and you can be sure that I will do my best to guard you from danger. However, I must also remark that my first duty will always be that of protecting my people. While they do not clash with each other, I will serve you as bodyguard.”

He was uneasy with knowing that neither Lord nor Malena were comfortable with the decision he had taken, but he believed that when they saw that he could handle the pressure more than well, they would both be relieved. Was he really overloading himself? Only time would tell.

Nodding at the words of Solara, he was happy to know Questra and him would finally start training. Watching the Day Glory Drake jump suddenly into the hay, Matthew couldn't but grin. That creature at least seemed harmless enough, as long as it of course wasn't posing to be harmless like Questra could. The Horse dragon blinked a couple of times, tilted her head to the side for a moment and then tried to mimick the drake. Unfortunately Questra was a bit bigger and it ended up in a loud 'plonk' on the wood underneath the hay and small straws flying up in the hay, with Questra's butt sticking out in the air. Wriggling around, she was able to turn and glare at the drake, after which she stuck out her tongue. Picking up some straws in her muzzle, she knocked them playfully on the head of the drake. Matthew rolled his eyes and tried to pretend not to have noticed any of it. Despite the fact she was growing and cunning enough, Questra did sometimes have a childish playfullness in her.

((Matthew and Questra over - time skip okay for them))

+++++++

Sleet quickly shook his head at Malena's first words.

Not at all, M'Lady. just wouldn't want to get dust and dirt on your hide. I wasn't fully finished grooming yet.

At her second words though, his expression sombered.

So far Katelyn and I have been lucky, but being Hyro's second means threading on eggs the whole time. You never know when his mood changes and your luck is over...

Keeping silent, he looked into the common room once more.

Katelyn had walked away from Alexander while he was having the conversation with his dragons and had come to stand before one of the windows once more. Gazing outside, her eyes skipped over every servant and rider moving around. Which one of them could she trust? Which one would be a spy of Gelltor? Hearing the elf shift, she turned and faced him once more, listening in silence to his words.

Sleet?

Meh, still your decision. Guess if his words are true, it's a good deal.

True... as long as we don't have to fight the elves.

Which will happen soon enough.

"Sounds fair enough. As my bodyguard you would of course have to follow me around the whole time - or at least as much as possible. Unfortunately I can not let you stay in these quarters and I am afraid Sleet's stable isn't big enough to fit him and both your dragons. I can however arrange for you to have separate quarters closer by, though they will not be of this size and will only have space for one dragon. This is fully up to you though, if you prefer to keep residence in the common quarters. Whatever you decide, let me know and I will arrange it." Moving away from the window, she went to stand before him once more and looked him over once.

"As to your wounds, how are they faring? Do you think you can join in the excercises tomorrow or do you wish to be excused from them? Lighter excercises can also be given, there are a few others who have been hurt in the past fight and who will need to refrain from the more intensive actions. So nobody will look oddly upon it if you don't join in either. And as to the stable duties, they are to start only from the moment your body is completely healed and not an hour before." Stepping away again, she leaned against the table functioning as her desk.

"I will give you a fair warning already. There will probably be more then one person you will have to look out for, but the is one in particular. Gelltor. We have already found out there is something he is planning which involved me, but we do not know what. And knowing that man, it won't be good. I am not going to ask you to spy on him, at least not yet. He has his own spies and intelligence network, which would make the task of spying on him near on impossible. Fact is also Hyro gave me the order to either break Gelltor or kill him. He is becoming more of a nuisance because of his own plans than an asset. I don't know how I could possibly break him, but at this moment I fear he is too valuable to kill. So you will have to keep an eye out to see who could possibly be a spy for him inside of these walls. And I wish for you to now go visit the medics and get yourself checked up once more. Your bodyguard duties start tomorrow morning, you are to report to me before the training session." Standing straight up again, she inclined her head as if to dismiss him, but before he could reach the door, she spoke again.

"Just one more question. Maybe you know already, but the NDK have joined forced with the elves of the flotilla? What will you do when we have to fight them? Where will your loyalties lie when the elves join forces against us?"

((I promise this is almost over! Just need the answer of Alexander and once he's out of the door, the time skip can be done!))

There was a loud banging at Gelltor's door which awoke him quite rudely. The man had hoped to get plenty of sleep by turning in early. Grumbling in borderline fury at having been roused from sleep he answered the door with sword in hand and a quiet but harsh statement.

"The moon better be falling out of the sky slave or I swear to god your head will find itself on a brand new doorknocker for my room."

The servant took several steps back before answering fearfully.

"Y-y-you a-asked m-me t-t-to r-report m-my f-f-f-f-findings o-on A-Alexander"

Gelltor calmed down which in turn helped the servant to stop stuttering even if he did still shake fitfully.

"Yes and what do you have to report?"

"I learned that he has had a falling out with his sister who is now traitor to us."

Gelltor's suspicions were confirmed in this statement, he entered his room and returned with a small sum. Even though he paid out very little, it was considerably more then the servants normally lived off of. Gelltor shewed the man away and went back to bed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio had watched and listened quietly doing her best to resist swishing her tail as Ayos had instructed. She looked down at the near mature hatchling and saw him watching Questra and Hikari with interest.

"Despite all that has happened your still a child you know."

"It doesn't feel like it."

She gave him a firm nudge causing him to topple into the hay.

"At least pretend"

Ayos poked his head out and shot Rio a short glare before turning to the others.

"Umm...hi."

He said nervously fidgeting with a piece of hay. Rio however stretched and yawned.

"Well I would be happy to pitch in whatever I can in his training but for now I think I am gonna take a page from Drac and Bramble's books and grab some shut eye."

She masked a crewman to direct her to some quarters and he lead her below decks to show her where she could sleep before he returned to his duties.

Edited by En'K'Haral

((I thought Kja was suppose to be posting doing the time skip, so I've been waiting for that.))

((He is probably just taking his time writing up the post happy.gif))

((Well as far as I am concerned my characters are done for now. I mean during the time skip I think we can assume that Ayos and the others enjoy themselves happy.gif))

{{Kja will be unavailable for at least a couple of days. He has have technical difficulties. I am a messenger.}}

Username: mklhn

Side: NDK

Name: Storm R Celestyn

Race: Human.

Appearance: Tall like a normal guy his age ,but his hair is like a storm.

Personality: Storm's personality is that he's brave,bold,and kind hearted.

Other: Long ago tormented by dreams of his dragon ,Storm guards Crystal with his life.

Dragon’s name: Crystal

Dragon’s age: Newly hatched.

Dragon’s gender: Female

Dragon’s race: Geode.

Appearance:user posted image

Personality: Crystal can be either lazy and tired or eager and brave.

Other: Crystal has a story of how her egg got to Storm her parents were running through Storm's city trying to get to their clan's cave when they accidently dropped her egg on the street to be found by Storm.

Edited by mklhn

((How peculiar. My computer appears to be capable of self-healing.

One of my deals with God must have worked. I'm back, censorkip.gif*es.))

((mklhn: there are no NDK spaces left.))

(I'm sorry I guess I lost my temper but for good reson!! It's horrible unfair you know will you please let me be a NDK not a HYDRO.

((There are limited spots in the NDK and unless someone feels like giving theirs up I doubt you'll get to be part of the NDK, unless Kja is feeling like making an exception. Also Kja don't you think it's about time we got an OoC thread for times like this?))

Edited by talyhawk

((I would suggest we just do the skip now. Here below a post just to more or less finish up the meeting between Katelyn and Alexander, after which we can skippedidoodaa. If Solara is willing to, we can RP the rest of the meeting over PM. But this way we can get this show on the road again smile.gif ))

+++++++

Some small details of the arrangement were discussed still, but it was clear that much would have to be figured out while in practice. The basics had been discussed and agreed upon and so Katelyn now had her own personal bodyguard. Or at least, starting from the next day.

After Alexander and his dragon had left, Katelyn cleaned out Sleet's stable, finished his grooming and ordered for a servant to fetch food for the ice dragon and her. That evening the current second-in-command stayed up quite late, going over the possible excercises she could let the troops try out the next day. Part of her was looking forward to it, but the other part of her was rather anxious. Getting the troops to cooperate as a team would take a lot of intensive excercise and possibly even some fights.

By the time Katelyn went to bed, Sleet was snoring deeply and the hour had gone long past midnight.

((Skipideedoodah Skipideeday It's up to me to start a new day. I love dubbing my own lyrics into songs happy.gif))

Gelltor awoke to sunlight on his face coming through the window. He got up yawned and stretched. Through shear muscle memory he cleaned himself up and changed into his normal cloths before even realizing he was awake. It wasn't until a mental blast from his dragon echoed in his that he realized that he was up.

"I WANT FOOOOOOD!!!!

"Blast it Malice do you have to yell! Jeeze I just got up!"

"FOOOOOOOOOD!"

Nearly every morning started like this for Gelltor why he wasn't yet used to it was beyond him. So with head aching and stomach growling he went down to the kitchens and picked up the steaks set aside for Malice from his loyalist in the kitchens and brought them over to the dragon.

"Now if you don't mind I am going into town for some breakfast."

"Whatever, don't be late."

Gelltor actually preferred most of the commoner food to palace food and the chefs could never get it right no matter how hard they tried it was always too fancy for what it was so he went into the city instead. There was a shop near the castle entrance that he frequented for meals.

"The usual Master Gelltor?"

"Extra spicy, I need to be awake today."

The lady behind the counter put together of all things one could think of a sandwich: lettuce, salted pork, Swiss cheese, ground mustard, tomatoes, and onions. She added a few spices to the mustard to make it spicier before assembling the whole thing and giving it to Gelltor who paid for it there.

"Sounds like them NDK chaps left from what I here, but I don't buy it for a second they certainly left a few members behind to mess up the place."

"Did they?"

"Yeah, just last night my sister down by the harbor got home to found the place had been ransacked and a thank you note left behind by the New Dragon Knights. That Drac fellow is just acting out against his father which is fine by me so long as he doesn't haul the rest of us into it. I say family matters stay in the family you know what I mean."

Gelltor nodded and hummed understandingly it seemed like the propaganda project was well underway.

"The sooner you guys put that young rip away the better I say. Oh, it looks like I have another customer."

The lady went off to serve the new arrivals from just down the street. They ate there regularly as well but Gelltor didn’t really know them, just some nobles or relations to nobles of some kind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio awoke to see Ayos curled up at her feet on the bed. He was still sleeping soundly after playing with the others last night to all hours of the evening. Deciding that unless she absolutly had to she wasn't about to get up, so pulling up the covers she closed her eyes and went back to sleep.

Edited by En'K'Haral

((Kja is, in fact, not back censorkip.gif*es. I think the whatever-it-is is messing with my psyche by occaisionally pretending to be gone.

I'm on the downstairs comp atm. No time for anything but this, the internet has been killed upstairs. It would help if my brother, doing a degree in Computer science, would pick up his ****ing phone.))

((Also, mklhn, rules is rules. No NDK. You must be a Hyro (note the lack of D) or nothing.

Well, I suppose you can be a civillian. But that's rather boring.))

Edited by Kjakings

((Being one of Hyro's force is fun, trust me. You get to be under my (Katelyn's) command. And she's really nice... *coughs*. Hey well, she's not as bad as Gelltor for example! But what I am a bit worried about is, seeing his/her reaction: will he/she be able to play semi-literate?))