Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

We've got company.

What? Not now!

Garen.

Letting out a sigh, Katelyn let Sleet stop his antics and slow down. Angling him, they faced the dragon, hatchling and his rider. Annoyance flashed in Katelyn's eyes as she waited for them to come closer. Sleet's sides thrummed softly in annoyance as well. For the first time in long they had some time to themselves and it was disturbed immediately. As they came into hearing distance, Katelyn called out.

"Katarina Du Couteau, what do you need to say that is so urgent it can not wait until I am back down?" Her voice left it no question that Katelyn thought the woman was stepping a thin line. She had so far not much to do with the woman, but from what she had heard, Katarina was one intent on bloodshed and violence. Katelyn herself liked a good fight as well, but there was a difference with slaughtering helpless, weak of innocents.

Just blow her off, tell her to report to you in an hour or two.

I'll just hear her out first.

Sleet huffed, but remained near motionless in the air.

((Scorpion I think you forgot to respond to Talyhawk with Matt))

Gelltor was lurking about in the slave section of the castle, when he saw who he was looking for. A slave who was on laundry duty was stopped by the man and taken aside.

"You are on laundry correct?"

The slave nodded somewhat unnerved by suddenly being stopped by one of the dragon riders. Gelltor showed the man some money in a concealed kind of way before tucking it in his cloak again.

"If you do exactly as I tell you, you will get that money, understand?"

He said and the slave nodded vigorously wanting the money badly.

"Good, now tomorrow when you guys clean Kiara's room I want a piece of her bed sheet. You are changing it and stashing it in storage anyways once it is clean but I need it dirty. Since it won't be missed by anybody this really isn't a problem for you is it."

The servant shook his head and told Gelltor that by noon tomorrow he would have a piece of the bed sheet and the rest would be sent away to be mended. Gelltor smiled and payed the man leaving him with the warning that if the task was not done he would feed the man to Malice. Gelltor left and so did the servant. Gelltor was on his way to his rooom when he was stopped by another servant, the one he had sent to research Katelyn's history.

"Sir I have found some information."

"Come with me to my quarters."

Gelltor led the servant to his room and locked the door behind them.

"If anyone asks you are here to play a game of chess. Now quietly explain to me everything you know."

"Well, Katelyn is very experienced in flight, during her time in training she pulled stunts and tricks that were way beyond-"

"Just about everyone knows that, we were all there. Anything new and useful that isn't known or has been overlooked by others."

"Umm..she was one of the many who were stolen from their parents and forced to join. I couldn't find any records at the time about where she came from just that she was part of the people who were kidnapped."

Gelltor nodded approvingly, he could use that to his advantage. It didn't take much to figure out that the reason she wanted two days off while unwatched was because she was looking for her parents. He nodded again suppressing a chuckle, he could definitely use this to his advantage.

"Go find out where she was kidnapped from and report that information to me alone. No one else at all. I will skin you alive if you leak anything."

The servant nodded vigorously before leaving and telling Gelltor that it was a good game. Gelltor sat in a chair and looked out the window into the courtyard in thought.

((Yeah I was wondering about that as well.))

Katrina quickly caught on to the danger that Katelyn's words held to them if she didn't make this quick. "I apologize for disturbing you and Sleet while you are having fun, but I wanted to know if the rumors of you signing orders to have people executed in your name were true." Her voice held only an air of respect to it, even if it was a false respect.

Garen didn't dare draw any closer to Sleet and his rider out of fearing what his rider might do if she didn't like the answer Katelyn gave. He was at least pleased that she apologized for interrupting the pair. "This matter can be discussed at a later time if you'd prefer to continue your antics," unlike his rider Garen's words were sincere.

No one told you to interfere.

If I don't you'll end up getting us killed one of these days.

Katarina let out a frustrated sigh, but the dragon had a point for once.

Edited by talyhawk

((Ack, sorry about that. I was sure I had replied for Matthew. I swear, one of these days my head is going to be resting in my bed while my body is at work...)

+++++++

Listened to Ryoka and Revy's words, slowly nodding. When they finished, he made a light shrugging motion.

"Though I am not of the same opinion as you on the part of not having helped us at the beach, I am not going to get into an arguement about it either. Most of us have survived and we are almost safely at the elves' flotilla. I do regret those of us who did not make it or were captured, which is why I can not agree on your train of thought. But no point in discussing who is right." Letting out a mix between a snorting sound and a laugh came out of his throat at the sight of Ayos pulling at the belaying pin. Looking back at Ryoka, he continued.

"Well, you are one of two - I think - with a grown dragon here, not counting Bramble as he has no rider here. So I'd say you just make sure to help us all with training our hatchlings and getting the necessary practise and I'll not get back on the beach incident." The last he said with a sly little grin, showing he wouldn't keep reminding her about it. Seeing motion in the corner of his eye, he turned his head just in time to see Questra join Ayos in pulling free the hay. Though Ayos didn't get much help as with each pulled out part of hay, the horse hatchling slowly munched her mouthful before continuing.

+++++++

Hearing Katarina's words, Katelyn lifted a brow.

"Fun? Am I to assume you are implying I do not take my tasks and responsibilities seriously? Because I can assure you, Katarina Du Couteau, that I always take my tasks seriously. But while training the others, my usual trainings with Sleet have diminished. This piece of 'joy' as you call it stretches his muscles and trains his flexibility. So forgive me for enjoying the fact we can put a bit of time for this once on our own training." The word 'forgive' had been with such a sneer to her voice, it was no longer a secret she was annoyed.

Keep it calm, you're almost burning through my scales here.

Ignoring Sleet's thoughts, Katelyn continued.

"As for the orders you have heard about, I am sorry to disappoint you they did not come from me. As Dragon Knights of Hyro, we have the responsibility to care for the people and pinch out possible rebels. Most of the people who have been taken into custody were innocent and are being released as we speak. It is not our purpose to make the people mad at us, but to work for us. And before you think me weak, think about this. Our forces need to be fed, we need materials and weapons. Who do you think provide this? Do you think Hyro would be happy to see us malnourished and with sticks as weapons? Do you think he would feel safe in his castle with such a force defending him? We need the people and thus we can not go around making them angry or putting them in prison without need. The person who frauded those orders is suspect of acting to undermine us and to play together with the NDK. So feel free to think me weak, but think first about which side you are on and you would do well to remember that you are to work underneath my command."

Giving a command to Sleet, the ice dragon angled away from Garen and his rider. After making a couple more complicated twists and turns in the air, Katelyn ordered Sleet to head down again. Landing before their quarters, she let him in and after releasing him from the saddle, she rubbed him down and started grooming him.

Calm down, I won't have any scales left over!

How dare she!

She's dangerous. Have you seen her in battle?

Yeah... and honestly, I think I'd rather have Gelltor guarding my back than her.

Her dragon seems reasonable enough.

At least one set of brains in that couple.

Autch! Watch the scales!

"Much." He smiled, watching over the growing crowd as the ship drew up against one of the many 'ports' in the gigantic wooden city. A chance look underwater showed Drac that it also extended quite a ways down, too. Besides the forest encampments and the number of colonies in other lands, that Drac knew of, the entire elven population must live in this one floating city.

Since his usual flamboyant style probably wouldn't go down well here, Drac waited until the ship had completely stopped, or at least matched its speed with the slowly moving city, the gangplanks had been lowered and the rest of the NDK had disembarked. One last almost unconscious tactical appraisal of the area showed Drac some of the 'recoil cages' that were used to stop the gigantic elven cannons from flying everywhere when fired, but no cannons.

Bramble finally became conscious enough to haul himself up from the bottom of the ship's hold and ring for the small elven cabin boy who had been assigned to his care, which had so far mostly entailed making sure that the black hadn't stopped breathing in his sleep.

"Hungry?" The boy asked, his eyes again full of the same mix of fear and awe at seeing the massive creature looming over him. Bramble nodded and the boy ran off to have the doors on the main deck opened so Bramble could finally get out and go hunting. When the doors were open Bramble stuck his head out and tasted the air, finally pulling himself out by his front claws and looking around, directly into one of those unholy elven weapons pointed straight at him.

Drac had gone no more than three steps off the ship and already his hopes for the negotiations were dropping dramatically. He hadn't expected a hero's welcome, but they were muttering. The bad kind of muttering. When Drac was five his father had done a bit of messing around with Drac's genome and as a result his senses were hyper-tuned. He could hear every single word.

"I heard he consorts with demons to stave off his death." This was no more than six feet away; it demanded an answer.

"Excuse me? My friend, we are all learned people. Surely in this multi-cultural society we should know that even if there were such things as 'demons' they would be no more evil, on the whole, than either of our two species."

"You would know. Dark magic, necromancy. I'm sure your father taught you all sorts of evil tricks before you did your little rebellion and dragged not only your own dirty kind but the dragons into your silly little war and now you want to bring us into your family matter." People were now staring and the captain of the elven ship - Drac REALLY needed to learn his name - was walking up to them spluttering with rage. Drac raised his hand and shook his head.

"I got this. Name." It wasn't a request.

The elf didn't respond.

"Name!" Drac barked, the wind beginning to whip up around them. Losing control of his magic was Drac's major problem, but it did occaisionally help.

"Arbequitus Night."

"Craft and rank."

"Carpenter, journeyman."

"I see. Not only do you insult the leader of a foreign delegation here to negotiate an alliance, but you don't even have the rank and influence to get away with it. I understand though; what does a journeyman crafter have to care about the world? Cocooned by the ocean around, it's not as if an insane dictator who toppled an entire government damn near single-handedly would be content with one small corner of the world when he could turn that small corner into a war machine to topple everyone else within arm's reach. It's a good thing you don't have plantations in his small corner, or members of your race in his forces. It's also a good thing you're no more than a few day's travel from his shore, or he doesn't have the best trained aerial force within thousands of miles."

"I see your point. Now all we need is a rag-tag group of revolutionaries with barely any training behind an equally insane leader, drawing some of the best forces of the world down into a giant whirlpool of death, antagonising aforementioned dictator into the very war you hope to prevent. You're no better than your father." This was the final straw. Drac probably would have killed him then and there if Bramble hadn't stuck his head out of the ship causing Arbequitus, the only person even remotely looking in that direction, to yell out and point, running over to a small button on the floor and stamp on it.

One of the elves' cannons, twice as big as the ones on the ship, rose up out of the floor directly into the recoil cage, a team of elves carrying an almost comically large cannonball using magic and aiming the cannon at Bramble.

"You frauds! You are members of Hyro's forces, come to destroy us! Angels of death, demons of destruction!" The carpenter yelled, others rallying behind his call, despite Drac's attempts to defuse the situation.

"Bramble has defected! He is a member of our forces now! If you put that cannonball in there it's never coming out again." This last was yelled at the team of elves who had just reached the cannon, lifting it up and loading it in. Drac sighed, raising his hand and drawing it into a fist, crushing the front of the cannon.

"The cannons are always loaded with powder, but not shot." Drac didn't recognise this mind, but assumed it was the captain. A small spark set the eighteen cannons roaring, making everyone fall silent and look at him. Drac did a small magic-assisted backflip onto the ship's railing, framed by the confused black who was still standing on the deck.

"Eight weeks ago Taja Thorn, Bramble's rider, discovered that Hyro's promise to eventually free her father if she served him was a sham: he had been dead for years. During this time I was attempting to escape the Citadel and ran into her. She let me go and battled my father. She nearly won, but nearly wasn't good enough. Hyro defeated her and stripped her of her mind, and also her other dragon, Cirrus. She now serves him as a slave, unable to do anything unless he tells her to do it. She was ordered to kill Bramble, but he escaped and joined us. He is living proof that not everything must climax in death. Others are being coerced to join him. When final battle is joined, we will number many more than they. Our cause is just, others will see it as so. When we prove to them that the things Hyro has promised are false, they will join us. But currently we are few. We must have allies, and honourable ones we can trust. You are such." People were muttering again, but good muttering this time. Drac jumped back to the deck, a little unnecessarily.

The crowd parted before him to the rest of the NDK, but the elf from before had different plans. He charged Drac his fist raised high aiming for Drac's temple. Drac caught the fist, applying pressure to crush the knuckles when he felt the knife go in. Drac reached down with his other hand and crushed the wrist that held it, forcing the elf to drop to the floor in pain. In one last act of defiance Arbequitus cast a powerful bolt of flame at the broken cannon, intending to ignite the powder inside despite the slaughter that would cause among the crowd.

Drac shot his hand out and caught it. No magic; he just extinguished it using his bare palm. He pulled the knife out with his good hand and threw it into the ocean, instead drawing a small crystal out of his pocket and placing it against the elf's forehead. It began to glow faintly blue and the elf gasped and fainted. He passed it to the elven captain from the ship, he being the only authority figure he knew of.

"Give this to the proper authorities. It contains his magical abilities and instructions for restoring them to his body. You can decide if it can be returned to him." Drac walked over to the NDK, nodding to them. "Shall we go?"

"What the hell did you do to your hand?" Night asked, having gone far out earlier in the morning but come speeding back at the first sign of commotion, only too late.

"It's healing, but I think it may be crippled."

"Idiot. Although, in retrospect, you did quite well out there."

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, and blaming it upon you."

"What?"

"Nothing, illiterate dragon."

((Poor Drac. He can't have a lively debate with anyone without being stabbed.))

((Wow. You guys posted like eight times while I was writing that.))

Edited by Kjakings

((I never thought I'd see the day when Katelyn would rather have Gelltor guarding her back. Also scorpion I like how you divide your post up between NDK and Hyro so I'm making use of it if you don't mind.))

Ryoka chuckled seeing the sly smile on Matthew's face it was nice to know that she had at least become on good terms with him. "Who knows maybe I'll even be able to help you find what magic you're good at." She couldn't help but tease him just a little since magic had come naturally to her.

It was then she heard the commotion coming from the direction of where Bramble was now standing clearly confused. Oh son of a- was the first thought that came to her mind. Without a second thought Ryoka leaped onto the startled Revy's back who leaped into the air with the help of her rider's wind magic. Once in the air Ryoka was silently grateful that she had forgotten to take the saddle off her dragon who she'd be treating after this was all over. The commotion had seemed to die down after the short speech explaining Bramble's presence. She had to hand it to Drac he knew how to win a crowd over.

Relaxing a bit too early she angled Revy over and past the crowd of elves only to see Drac get stabbed by one elf who was then quickly rendered helpless by the same man he'd try to stab. Ryoka simply shook her head it didn't matter where a person went there was still the same distrust everywhere. Upon finishing the thought she realized that Revy had brought her slightly away from the main commotion the NDK was causing. "Thank you Revy," she said dismounting to which the dragon simply nodded in the direction of the others. Ryoka took the hint and walked back towards them occasionally receiving a wary glance from those who knew her history.

Upon seeing Drac she sighed approaching him. "If you're lucky this will be the worst that happens while we're here." She glanced at the captain then back at Drac continuing. "My kind aren't the most forgiving especially when it comes to dealings with Hyro. Long lives tend to do that to people." She only hoped that she hadn't become as jaded as the rest of her race tended to be.

+++++++

Katarina took the berating in silence only showing any hint of emotion in the form of a sinister grin after Sleet had gone back to his acrobatics. With a single command the red dragon angled away from the ice dragon and rider towards the market. Katarina silently stared straight ahead mulling her thoughts over before being interrupted from them by Malphite who had pushed his head against her arm demanding attention. "Alright we'll head back and I'll groom both of you."

At the confirmation of a good grooming Garen neatly turned back towards the stables landing just outside allowing Kat to dismount before heading inside with the ember still on his back. Katarina quickly scanned the area before heading inside after her dragons once she was certain the area was empty. Seeing the ember sitting contently on Garen's back Katarina chuckled grabbing her supplies for grooming the two dragons. "I'm surprised you didn't try to kill that woman after the tongue lashing she gave you," he commented before half hopping half gliding to the ground.

Katarina simply grinned removing the saddle and putting it in its proper place. "I'm not stupid, just because I don't like the woman doesn't mean I want to kill her." She stated picking up Malphite dusting what little soot was still on him off before giving him a quick grooming. "Lord Hyro picked her for some reason, so as it stands her orders are the same as if he personally gave them." She said finishing up with Malphite who jumped down only to lay beside the rider's feet as she silently moved on to Garen.

Edited by talyhawk

((Yeah, honestly I didn't think I'd see that happening either. But the bloodlust going on in Katarina stands to a complete opposite from Katelyn, who does like a good and fair fight, but does not like the killing in general. While Gelltor is a mind twisting, cunning and devious kind of person who deserves not a single ounce of trust from Katelyn for what he already has done, he doesn't show as much blood thirst. Seems like Katelyn prefers devious over blood wink.gif. And eh... they're just seven plus-signs, they don't have my name on it so feel free to use them wink.gif.))

+++++++

At the tease from Ryoka, Matthew could not but let out a grumble. He was utterly frustrated by not having found his knack for magic. Noticing her sudden distraction, he looked over at the flotilla as well and had to admit to being impressed. Leaning against the ship's railing, he tried to take in as much as he could. Questra leaped up on her hind legs and leaned with her front legs also against the railing, a prove of how much she had grown in the meanwhile. As suddenly there was a certain kind of tension, Matthew focussed his attention on Drac. Apparently the elves were not all that happy to aid as they were led to believe. Feeling the hostility grow, he put an arm around Questra's neck and placed himself slightly between her and the crowd on the flotilla. Seeing Bramble suddenly pop up, the cannon being loaded and Ryoka fly up with Revy, Matthew was sure things would go terribly wrong. When Drac put a stop to it all, a shiver ran down Matthew's spine.

Crazy he may be, but he's far stronger than the whole of the NDK put together.

That he is. I just keep hoping he won't change his mind on which side he's on.

We can only hope, after all, nothing we can do to stop him.

All too true.

Patting Questra's neck, Matthew pushed away from the railing and moved to join the main crowd of NDK.

Rio had stayed back from the commotion a bit not wanting to get involved too much. She was against fighting to begin with but with Hyro it was the only option left. Some of the less appreciative elves had overheard what Drac said about the crystal and were gossiping about it.

"LIke father like son, always taking things away from people with false promises of returning them."

Rio heard this and was infuriated and rounded on the two elves.

"He was stabbed! By one of you! How can you even think like you do!? All we want is a little help, Hyro is too tough for us alone!"

The sudden rage cause Ayos to wince and he looked up from his task to see Rio arguing and dashed over there as quickly as possible for him to calm her down.

"Leave it alone Rio, people are entitled to their own opinions. If you go around telling people how to think you will be just as bad as Hyro's men."

He pulled her away from the others who just sneered at her and left. They joined the rest of the group but were falling behind a bit. Rio hung her head a bit depressed, she had hoped the elves would be sympathetic towards their plight but even after his little speech there were some that felt otherwise.

"They heard what he had to say right? So why are they still rejecting him?"

"For some people you need to act out your promises rather then voice them."

They walked in silence behind the main group for the rest of the way to where ever it was they were going.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gelltor had seen Kat return to the stables but didn't do anything for a bit, then an idea struck him like a hefty punch to the face. He immediately stood up and grabbed his weapons and gear. Leaving his quarters and making his way towards the stables with purpose he called on Malice.

"Malice meet me at the stables. I will need you there for protection."

Malice who had been napping yawned and stood up. Since he was already at the stables he didn't have to go far.

"Protection from what?"

"Katrina."

Malice became alert at the name, the bloodthirsty woman was not one that you irritated and lived to tell about it. So he got up and made his way over to Katrina's stall and sat outside and shortly after Gelltor arrived. Kat was still grooming Garen when the pair got there and Gelltor announced his arrival by knocking on one of the wooden studs.

"Katrina, can I speak with you for a bit?"

Upon hearing the knock Katarina immediately dropped what she was doing grabbing a pair of knives from her belt with one plunging into the stud where Gelltor had knocked. The other knife remained in her hand even after she saw who it was. "It had better be important." She had cooled off some from the encounter with Katelyn, but was still in a somewhat foul mood.

Malphite had gotten lucky and avoided being stepped on and was now standing to Katarina's right looking at Gelltor. Garen on the other hand was keeping a wary eye on Malice just in case a fight broke out.

What do you think he wants?

Not sure, but I don't much care for the man to begin with.

Gelltor nodded and was about to speak when he reconsidered this action.

"Yeah you probably are jumping the gun, they might get wind of what we are up too if we ask that now. Come up with a cover and bail."

Malice telepathically said to Gelltor who agreed with the idea and went on to ask a different question.

"I was wondering for when the time comes, do you think you can help me bring down the NDK member Rio Schwartz, she rides a Magi dragon and will likely prove to be difficult in addition. She is less skilled then Drac or Bramble and killing her will help make things just that much easier when we try to re-capture or kill the NDK again. I hate to admit it but I can't bring her down on my own I would like your help in doing this."

Gelltor waited for Kat's answer while Malice continued his staring contest with Garen.

Edited by En'K'Haral

((Could somebody talk to Drac? He's bored.

Also, I'm thinking of creating a Hyro-side assassin char. thoughts?))

((Kja Ryoka did speak to Drac, I think you overlooked it.

I was wondering about that name change myself.))

Katarina smiled hearing the proposal and put the knife away. ”I’ll kill her you can be sure of that.” Upon finishing the statement she moved closer to Gelltor pulling the knife that had been embedded in the stud only to hold it at his throat continuing to speak. ”I’m not doing this for you out of kindness or pity, but one because I love my job and two the NDK having a magi could be very dangerous for us in the long run.” She leaned in closer to him pushing the tip of the blade slightly, not caring about Malice being present. ”One final piece of advice, if you even think about using this as a way to get rid of me I swear Rio won’t be the only one to die.” Her tone had immediately changed to a dangerous I’m going to kill you in your sleep type upon issuing the warning. Katarina stared into Gelltor’s eyes waiting for his answer while Garen kept his gaze firmly planted on Malice ready to move if needed.

((My bad Taly. ^^

*goes to post*))

"It's ok. The opinion of a few doesn't matter, though it would be nice if everyone liked us. Today's little ruckus did us both extreme good an unimaginable harm. We'll have to see how it plays out. I can't help but hope it turns out that he was one of my father's agents. That would help us a good deal." Drac sighed and shook his hand, some of the charred black skin flaking away to reveal the puffy pinkness of magically grown skin.

"He reminds me of my old assassinry tutor. He w- hey, wait. Does anybody know where we're going?" Drac stopped, looking around. He had to grin as the captain of the ship that had brought them there walked past with a look that said 'This way, idiot.'

"What's your name?" Drac asked him, catching up. He expected some offence or even silence on the part of the captain, instead he laughed.

"You really do have some odd blindspots. There's a reason you don't know my name: I do a lot of trading with a bunch of merchants in Rythos. I have no idea if any of them are Hyro's spies in their spare time. We're hardly on a last name basis. I thought you'd figured that out."

Edited by Kjakings

There was a slight tink as Gelltor pushed the blade away from his throat with his fingers while smiling.

"I wouldn't dream of removing you. That professional approach you take is exactly why I came to you; I fear some of the others might show pity to a defeated young lady. Now if you will excuse me I do have a few other things to attend to before the day is done. Malice we are leaving."

Malice nodded and watched Gelltor's back for him as they left the stables to take a stroll around the palace. Walking helped Gelltor to think everything through especially when he had a lot to handle at once.

Ayos was getting a little fed up with Rio's sulkiness and nudged her leg.

"Would you quit pouting. There are bound to be people who are dissatisfied with our actions, no matter what you do and no matter how good it is for them. It comes with the territory, you simply can't please everyone."

No response from Rio, the attempt to kill Drac from one of their potential allies had shaken her.

((No worries Kja and I like the idea for an assassin type character that you were thinking about making.

So what happened to our other elf player?))

Katarina smirked watching Gelltor walk away while returning the knife in her hand back to its rightful place. She had to give the man some credit most were not brave enough to push her blade away in the face of death. Sighing she turned patting the red on the shoulder before picking up the supplies she had dropped thanks to Gelltor’s arrival.

I don’t think that was what he came here for.

I agree, if he wanted to make such a request he could’ve just sent something in writing.

Either way I don’t trust him.

Garen’s comment made Katarina laugh while she put away the grooming supplies. Trust was something that just didn’t exist amongst their ranks. Her thoughts were soon interrupted thanks to a knock on one of the wooden studs by a nervous looking slave/servant whatever you wanted to call him. “Excuse me Miss Katarina I have a letter for you.” This news caused Kat to raise an eyebrow before walking over to the servant and taking the letter from his trembling hands. She chuckled at his nervousness but that quickly faded with her face turning pale as soon as she turned the envelope over to see the crest of her family imprinted upon the wax seal. “Um… Katarina…” Her gaze quickly shifted to the servant realizing he was still here. ”Get out of my sight!” Her voice echoing in the stables causing the poor man to stumble backwards as he scrambled away with even her own dragons cringing at the sound in fear.

”Garen let me know if anyone and I mean anyone comes here looking for me. Malphite you’re coming with me.” She commanded to which both dragons nodded still shaken from her sudden outburst.

Katarina was walking at a faster pace than normal towards her quarters making it hard for the young ember to keep up with her. He somehow managed to make into the room before she shut the door; if he had been a second later he would’ve had his tail shut in the door. Malphite sat and watched as Katarina sat in one of the very few chairs that occupied the room before making his way over to her lying by her feet. Katarina didn’t even notice the dragon’s actions as she cracked the seal tossing the envelope to the side onto a small table and began to read the letter.

+++++++

Ryoka nodded at Drac’s words followed by a light chuckle at his realization of not knowing where they were going. My are we actually enjoying ourselves for once? Ryoka ignored the comment from the black instead paid more attention to the conversation between the captain and Drac after playing a bit of catch up. The captain’s words made Ryoka realize that she hadn’t even given Drac her name, but she suspected that he already knew it. ”Forgive me for interrupting, but a thought occurred to me are you also planning on attempting an alliance with the Dwarves as well?

I don’t want to work with Dwarves they can rot in their mountains for all I care.

They could be useful and besides your dislike for them only comes from not liking Sebastian T. Slaughterhouse.

He almost got us killed!

Edited by talyhawk

"Yes. The possibility of an alliance with them pends upon the success of an alliance with the elves, or at least it does now. This - what did you call it?" Drac asked one of the firing squad from the ship who had formed up around the NDK as a kind of honour guard. "This gunpowder will intrigue them. An inventive species by nature, good wood is also one of the most highly valued resources of a mountaintop species, and to them diamond and other valuable crystals are like scraps of copper to us. If they had any incentive they could become some of the richest people in all of Chicias. They forge swords and arrowtips out of diamond, which the elves find highly valuable. This alliance could be the start of a massive cross-species coalition that makes Chicias a major power in the world again and will stop tyrants like my father ever arising. Whilst in the Dwarf capital, I need to inquire into the Goblins and the rumours of a Gryphon clan living deeper in the mountains." He explained, speaking a little bit more loudly than necessary so everyone could hear.

"Plus they apparently keep stumbling across Draconæ artefacts in a specific part of the mountains. Apparently when Grandmaster Maddox heard one rumour about a Draconæ blade he drained the entire treasury just to acquire it. Since that one is off limits to us, any other Draconæ weapons we can find will be worth an army of a hundred thousand elite soldiers equipped with the finest swords known to mankind."

((I also wonder where Solara / Alexander is. Katelyn was supposed to have a guard... ninja.gif ))

+++++++

Matthew was hovering around the NDK. Noticing Ayos, he angled towards him and the girl besides the hatchling. Questra walked slowly besides him, her current size of a small pony obliging people to make room for her. Arriving at the two, he lifted a brow and grinned.

"Rio I assume? I hardly recognized you without that lizard skin. Now don't get sea sick or anything, cus we'd think you went back to lizard." Giving her a wink, he looked back at Drac, supposing they ought to follow him.

+++++++

While grooming Sleet, Katelyn had seen Gelltor and Malice head for the stables. As the only human in the stables had been Katarina and Gelltor didn't go in there for Malice's sake, she was sure the man was up to something again. Leaning against the open doors of Sleet's stable in their own quarters, Katelyn kept her eyes on Gelltor.

Didn't Hyro tell you to keep him under control or kill him?

True.

Sleet didn't need to say more. Katelyn knew she had to act some day. But his intelligence network was just too usefull to just throw away. Taking a deep breath, she adjusted the list in her head. Make that Gelltor and Katarina to keep an eye on and bring in check. The bloodlust and egoïstic manner of working of that woman would surely jeopardise the chances of the troop winning over the NDK. But what would be the best way to keep that woman in check? Still keeping her eyes on Gelltor, her mind whirled.

((Kja did you want a limit on the number of character we each have, because I'm now tempted to make the Dwarf I mentioned in the NDK portion of my post.))

((Sorry was suffering from the wretched writers block for a while there.))

Rio giggled a little at Matthew's joke and finally started to cheer up.

"I forgot you haven't seen me in my human form just yet have you. Well here I am for all to see."

She said spreading her arms out striking a slight pose.

"What do you think?"

Ayos simply shook his head at her pose and stayed next to Questra.

---------------------------------------------------

Gelltor was on his stroll when he noticed Katelyn. He simply stared at her for a bit wondering if his conversation with Katrina warranted an immediate report, then concluded that it didn't so he waved, smiled and was on his way with Malice at his heals. The simple pleasantry was something he enjoyed doing every now and then, it always seemed to through people off balance not that it took a stretch of imagination as to why.

"So what now?"

"We wait, everything will fall into place of it's own accord."

Malice nodded understandingly and then his stomach growled.

"You can go hunt if you like, besides I need to head into town anyways. Another last minute meeting of sorts."

Malice allowed Gelltor to climb on to his back before taking him to the market place and dropping him off. Malice then took off himself to go hunt in the forest, meanwhile Gelltor threw up his hood and wrapped his cloak about himself and started walking down the street.

((Uch, WB aka Writer's Block. Gotto love it. I hope I won't have that problem the coming weeks. Am participating in NaNoWriMo again. I was able to get to 50.000 words last year and hope to do it again. But work isn't always kind to my time. Neither is TV... but still.))

+++++++

Matthew grinned, shaking his head slowly while taking a step or two backwards. "Honestly? I liked you better as a reptile." Ducking quickly before she could even try to take a swing at him, he winked and continued, almost tripping over Questra. The dragon huffed and quickly trotted out of his way, her long tail swishing in an almost agitated manner. "No seriously, the reptile skin hasn't done you any harm, that's for sure. I eh."

What's the matter? You seem at a loss for words.

No I'm not. I just... well... I'm not really used to giving compliments!

Then practise!

You're female... of sorts... help me!

Female of sorts?

You know what I mean. You're not a human, but you are female.

Oh gods, I guess I better do help you, before you sink yourself into deeper problems.

Lose the sarcasm, it doesn't suit you.

Tell her you like the color of her eyes, that it reminds you about the forest.

"I hadn't noticed before with the reptile look, but you've got a nice color of eyes. Reminds me kinda of the forests." Looking around at the water more or less surrounding them, he pulled a face. "I feel a lot better in the forests then out here on the water..."

Don't go overboard now, boy.

Boy? You're the hatchling, kiddo!

Edited by BlackScorpion7

Rio had swung at Matthew but missed horribly and almost stumbled over. He continued his sarcastic remarks and she chased after him for bit before he suddenly stopped and gave her a compliment. That however wasn't going to save him.

"If you think that is going to save you, you've got another thing coming!"

She raised her hand to him for an almighty backhand. Ayos just watched snickering away at Matthew's misfortune, however he did decide to intervene on the rider's behalf.

"Ease up Rio, the kid's been captured twice and probably doesn't know the first thing about dealing with women."

The agitated Rio stopped partway through her swing and sighed.

"Your lucky Ayos is speaking on your behalf. Still you should work on how to talk to women. I advise against making a second attempt until you get it though."

She teased before marching ahead of them to follow the rest of the NDK. Ayos walked up alongside Matthew.

"Well I must say, you are one smooth talker."

He teased before dashing off to catch up with Rio.

Rolling his eyes, Matthew followed them, glaring at Questra.

Much help you were.

Hey, you had already sunk too deep in the quick sand for my little stick to save you.

Next time, act faster.

Next time, don't be an ass.

Stuffing his hands in his pockets, Matthew just followed the others with Questra by his side. Right before they arrived at a set of slightly steeper steps from one platform to another, he sped up and offered a hand to help Rio down, despite knowing she was probably a lot more agile than he was. Questra snickered and shook her head, her manes flopping in the air.