Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

(I am aliiive x_x

So, as the bad guys left to find the NDK, I guess Alex’s and Katelyn’s meeting has to wait xd.png)

Malena, I’m done, do you want the carcasses?

Of course I want them, but did you leave at least a tiny bit of blood for me?

Huh… just enough to keep the meat tasty. Besides, you don’t need blood, why the hell should I leave it to you? The Vampire and Hellfire were discussing over the corpses Lord had left, because of course he only needed the blood of his prey to be properly fed. The female, after being raised by the other one, had gained craving for blood that often impressed others… but at least Alexander was used to it.

Her only reply was a yawn, and after that she stretched her body in a cat-like form and turned to the tent under which the other dragon was lying. She took the corpses of the freshly caught bucks that lay between the other’s front legs, but before she could take a bite Alexander interrupted her.

Malena. Not in front of the kids.

The dragoness rolled her eyes. You know, those children are going to be soldiers someday. They will know and bring death, and you won’t be able to protect them forever.

I know, but until then at least I’ll make sure they have a nice childhood. Please, eat were they can’t see you. And the Hellfire complied, only after growling once. She took the prey and flew for a couple of minutes, to start eating only when she was hidden. Dragons didn’t exactly have the best manners while feeding, and what Alexander wanted to avoid was to make the children see that blood shed.

He followed Malena with his gaze until she disappeared in the horizon, and only minutes later he was reached by a servant. Apparently Katelyn wanted to see him, and was waiting for him in one of the main quarters. What was she doing there? Many things had changed while he was unconscious, and he was about to find out some of them.

---------

Solara… dragons. Hyro’s forces, right in front of us!

But the elf had already spotted them: ahead, in the shore line, there was a battle taking place. Dragons and riders the blond knew well, were fighting against those she had once considered her enemies… and she had to take a decision now…

If she attacked her former brothers in arms, she knew she would be officially Hyro’s enemy. And she was still weak from the battle against her brother… she could fight, yes, but she wasn’t going to be able to do it at her fullest. And also, she wasn’t there to join the NDK… she wanted to be an ally, not another one in their lines.

But her will to do the right had always been strong. And this time, she knew she would be helping the good side… what do you think?

I don’t like it. But you know, if we don’t help them, we will probably be enemies of both sides. As always, Asuka was only thinking about what was the best for her rider.

Then let’s go.

Up in the sky, Solara took her bow and placed an arrow in it, to later surround it with magic. She aimed at the chest of one of the soldiers, and when they were on firing range she let the arrow go. Thanks to the impulse of her magic the bolt flew fast and exploded against the target, blowing the chest of the man and startling the ones surrounding him. His dragon, a black, fell immediately to the ground. I am sorry… rest in peace, brother. She had never liked to take dragons down, but would if needed.

Asuka flew fast, but the pair was still some good miles away from the battle, and couldn’t do more than attack from the distance. They would emerge from the clouds in the sky, at the back of the NDK, but in plain sight of Hyro’s forces. Holding tight to the dragoness, Solara prepared to take defence…

((Oww... the meeting. In the rush of action and the anger about her saddle, Katelyn completely forgot about the meeting... Otherwise we have to RP it now and pretend it happened right before the current action? Can be a bit confusing, but I could work. Or we RP it via PM and then post the result here? Just let me know what you prefer!))

Kiara groaned as someone hauled her out of the water and onto some kind of wooden decking, hearing voices in the background but she was still too weak to understand them. Feeling the point of a blade at her throat Kiara decided to pay more attention to them, wishing she could summon the willpower to open her eyes and spit in their face.

“Stop. She may be one of his but we are not cold-blooded murderers, and look at her, she’s barely alive as it is. There, I dare say she’ll keep for a thousand years like that. But I would think she’ll wash up on shore before then.” Kiara was suddenly very cold, but not in a bad way. She opened her eyes and saw a large ship fading into the background as the orb of ice closed up around her face.

The elvish ship pulled up alongside the beach, practically beaching itself in the process, before it dropped the spell of concealment, revealing a frigate-sized ship with several odd devices on deck. They were metal cylinders on wooden metal braces, almost all of them pointing practically straight upwards.

“You were saying?” One of the elves aboard said to Matthew, before turning to the crews around the objects. “Fire broadside!” He called to them, and a thunderous roar rose from each of them with a flash of light and an acrid smoke. They didn’t fire all at once but in quick succession; on a slightly larger ship they could have reloaded the first by the time the last had been fired. “Pick your targets and fire at will. If I catch you shooting it vertical and cracking the deck, I WILL kill you.” By this time they had lowered several gangplanks down to the shore and the elf looked at them expectantly. “Well, are you coming or not?”

The massive metal balls fired from the elf ship didn’t all hit their mark, in fact, very few of them did, but they scared the rest of them and they began to break. Drac made one last massive leap and landed on Sleet, drawing his crossbow he strode quickly forwards and held it against her forehead.

“Leave me and my people alone. Get passage on a freighter to another country and come back when the dust settles. Or not. This is your only warning.” Drac backflipped off of Sleet and landed astride Bramble, sending small bolts of paralyzing magic into Malice.

Bramble gave Malice a few more swipes and pulled away, grabbing Amora and diving steeply for the fleeing ship. He bucked off Drac and threw the pink hatchling at the deck, making her squawk indignantly and frantically flap her wings, bruising her chin on the wooden decking. Drac managed to roll on his landing, stopping just short of the recoil rails for the fearsome weapons. Bramble dived underwater and came up underneath the ship through a hatch designed to let injured dragons get inside the ship and rest. The hatch closed and the water drained through some unseen means and Bramble collapsed asleep, dead to the world.

((Oh, and accepted Talyhawk.))

Edited by Kjakings

Matthew's eyes went big as he saw the sudden appearance of the elvish ship. Seeing the havoc they wracked amongst Hyro's force, he grinned slightly, realizing their chances were turning. Grabbing the arm of Rio, he pulled her along towards the vessel, checking to make sure the hatchlings were following. Arriving at the ship, he ran up on one of the gangplanks and turned to look back at the beach. A serious devastation in Hyro's forces indeed. Seeing Drac flip and land on top of the ice dragon, Matthew's stomach turned for a split second. Katelyn, she had seemed more or less reasonable. She had wanted to give him a chance, even though it was to enter into Hyro's force. Watching Drac just aim and speak at her and then leave her alone, Matthew was confused. Why did the leader of the NDK leave one of Hyro alive? Questra leaped up on the railing besides him and looked onto the happenings as well.

I guess we'll leave soon.

Any idea where we'll be going?

Not a single clue. Drac is quite... unpredictable.

At least we'll have something resembling rest and peace for a moment.

True.

Leaning heavily on the railing, Matthew just stood there and watched it all happening. As Bramble flew up and threw the hatchling and Drac on deck, Matthew turned and ran quickly to the center of the deck, sure more information would be given soon on what would happen next.

+++++++

Despite the fact Katelyn had been trying to pay attention to their surroundings, she had seen Drac leap up to them far too late to angle Sleet away from him. Pulling away from Bramble's mind, she could only watch him aim his crossbow at her. The straps around her legs kept her firmly in place, making her volunerable for a fight on top of Sleet. This was one scenario she hadn't calculated in her plans. When the fireball had hit Sleet, she had pushed her sword back in its scabbard to check for wounds upon her own body. Sword in its scabbard, daggers hidden on her tighs and the bow on her back, she had not a single weapon on hand to defend herself. Feeling the tip of the bolt of the crossbow rest against her forehead, she swallowed but oddly enough did not feel any fear.

Shall I flip him off?

And kill me?

What do you want me to do?

To keep still less that bolt puncture flesh.

Bolt?

Sleet just turned his head as Drac leaped off again. Feeling the muscles of the ice dragon ripple, Katelyn stopped him.

No. Something is strange here. Why did he spare me?

Maybe he's afraid?

Of a non-magical human?

What did he say exactly?

To leave him alone and leave this country.

Maybe he's tired of running?

And he thinks I can arrange that? You'd think he'd know his own father by now!

Apparently not. What do you want to do?

I want to be afraid... very afraid. Looks like this fight is over and what do we have to give Hyro?

A shudder ran through Sleet's body. Looking around, Katelyn tried to estimate their loss. Sleet angled slightly towards the ship and they watched together as it left the beach. Calling out to the others, she ordered them to collect their fallen comrades and head back to the castle. Now the elves were in play, things were completely different. She would have to think up a good explanation to give to Hyro and get some information on how to tackle this new situation. At least the NDK would probably be out of the picture for a while. The bad news in this was that their hatchlings might have enough time to grow into adults. And when that happens...

((Maybe better to have Alexander pop in after they get back. That is if Katelyn will still be alive after giving Hyro the news wink.gif ))

(Yep, no worries. I was thinking on having the meeting later tongue.gif)

Oh. That is not good.

As a reply to her rider’s words, Asuka let out a growl and immediately flapped her wings to gain height, and disappear once more behind the clouds in the sky. That damned strange ship had appeared just after Solara fired her arrow, giving away their position for nothing, as the battle seemed to end right after that. Luckily those in Hyro’s forces had been paying attention to the newly arrived characters, or that was what they thought… and maybe they had missed the former soldier and the dragoness completely…

What to do now? Following the NDK’s blindly wasn’t something wise… what if they thought that the pair wanted to attack, and shoot them down with one of the weapons of the ship? But staying there near Hyro’s forces wasn’t the best option either… and despite that, other thoughts came up to Solara’s mind…

Hey. Did you notice that Bramble went over that ship? And that Katelyn and Sleet were the ones in front? She said in confusion: what the hell had happened since she left?

Yes… I think we are not the only ones who turned sides…

And there they staid for a while, hovering up over the clouds and some good miles away from the battle ground, as they watched the ship soar through the ocean…

He left his dragons behind and followed the servant towards Katelyn’s quarters, the night glory drake still hiding between his cape. Alexander stroked Kurayami’s head absently, as he wondered why and how things had changed while he was unconscious… and what was what the new second in command needed from him.

But upon arriving to the meeting place, he waited for minutes and had no reply. The servant even entered to the chamber and found it empty. The elf only needed to question some of the guards and dragon stables keepers to find out what had happened: apparently the gathering place of the NDK had been found, and a whole battalion left on a raid.

Why the hell hadn’t they asked him for help? Alexander couldn’t understand that he still needed to take rest, and called out for Malena so that they could leave immediately to help their brothers in arms. Luckily the dragons did understand the elf’s state: the Hellfire refused to take him, and the Vampire used the excuse of being unable of going out during daytime.

So the soldier didn’t have a choice but to stay there, impatiently awaiting for the others to come back, and hoping to see them returning with a victory…

Edited by Mystic_Solara

"No, no, no, no, no!"

"Angle your wings."

"Hold on!"

Malice was now falling more than diving thanks to Drac hitting his wings with minor paralysis spells. Still, he managed to angle his wings enough so that they wouldn't plummet to death and was able to more or less land on the beach. The impact was enough to throw Gelltor from his mount and he crashed into the sand and rolled eventually coming to a stop on his feet oddly enough. Gelltor stood up despite being dizzy from the rolling and watched as their quarry escaped again. Malice moaned as he stood up the effects beginning to wear off.

"Think you can trap them in a storm?"

"I could definitely get them in a storm but trapping is another matter, they are far enough away that in a matter of minutes they'd be out of it again. Besides, isn't that disobeying orders?"

"Yes but the circumstances call for it."

"Even so. A tsunami requires us to go out well past the ship, and I am not up to flying just yet, Drac's spell is rather efficient."

Gelltor shook his head in amusement.

"Still bent on that tsunami?"

"Heck yeah! Like I said from the start, hit them with one and let them be drowned or crushed under the water and take anyone that survived, quick and easy, in and out. But no, we have to do things the-"

Gelltor raised his hand and spoke harshly to Malice.

"Do not finish that sentence. Anyways, if it's defeat it's defeat. The upshot is that our man should be in place now."

"Oh yeah! I forgot about that. You sure that he got in on time?"

"Malice, you should know better. Those people are quite capable of implanting anything they want anywhere they want as quickly as you want for the right price, and with the amount I paid out they went to work right away."

"Where the heck would they get a dragon on such short notice?"

"I have seen their operation, it would seem that even some of the underground have a dragon rider or two of their own, of course not really in the same way we do. They tame theirs rather than bond with them; still it is practically impossible to tell the difference with a skilled rider. I don't know what our man is riding yet since he probably just got into position only moments before we got here. But I asked for a survivalist and so I trust he is alive."

The man he referred to was in fact on the ship looking just as relieved as the others. He too had a hatchling; it was a red dragon and was already groomed to be his mount. He leaned on the rail watching the shore disappear his red hatchling balanced on his head and shoulders.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio was still in a daze when she was pulled onto the ship by Matthew. She looked around a bit confused as they made their escape. She had seen Malice go down and had to restrain herself from cheering at that moment because she was being attacked by a Nebula at the time. Ayos had saved her distracted hide and now had a minor injured. Rio knelt by his side and tied a piece of cloth torn from her sleeve to Ayos's arm injury.

"One of these days Ayos your gonna have to learn more effective healing spells."

"One of these days you’re going to have to focus on the fight at hand."

Rio stuck her tongue out at Ayos who returned the favor. They sat there for a moment happily mocking each other in such actions before Rio got up to say thanks to Matthew.

"I should thank you Matthew. I would have been left behind if you hadn't snatched me."

((glad to see the other elf player has returned.))

As the ship sailed out of sight, Katelyn let Sleet descend to Malice and Gelltor. Landing besides them on the sand, Sleet's wings blew up sand, making Katelyn clench her eyes shut for a moment. Not descending from her dragon, she looked down at Gelltor once the sand had settled again. Unable to hide the anger she still felt about her saddle, she almost barked to him.

"Tell me you've arranged something with those men you 'know'. I am NOT in the mood to face Hyro with only news of this." Motioning around them, she ignored the fallen dragons and riders. Despite the fact she found every death a waste and mourned them, she felt happy she had never actually befriended any of them.

Where's Kiara?

At Sleet's thought, she took a closer look around. And yes, there in the deep waters, she thought she could see the body of Ebony floating. As Kiara was nowhere to be seen, it could only be assumed she had plunged to her death as well and had either sunk to the bottom of the sea or was somewhere around the body of Ebony, floating like him. Looking back at Gelltor, she continued.

"Gather those still alive, we have to drag those bodies back to the castle. Both ours as well as NDK. Maybe Hyro can do some kind of trick on them like he did on Kiara." Turning away even before he could reply, she gave the same order to whomever she passed. Time was of the essence now, they had to get back.

+++++++

Matthew shook his head, looking at Ayos.

"No problem, I don't know all too many folks in this group, didn't want to lose one of the only ones talking to me. I'm not really that much of an assett, not having any magic myself. And Questra here hasn't shown any potential so far either, besides flying and fighting. And be honest, in a fight with those guys back there, physical strength doesn't help you much. How's Ayos? If you want, I can take a look at the wound. I can't heal, but I have become quiet good at patching up." Questra flapped her wings furiously and landed on Matthew's shoulders. Only a slight cringing motion showed the horse dragon was growing a bit too large for her to be able to use him as a perch.

Gelltor ignored the sand that was kicked up and only slightly closed his eyes. He received Katelyn's orders and once she had left merely huffed.

"That wasn't too nice was it?"

"She's just pissed, it will pass. But she is right, returning to Hyro with only this will reflect on more than just her, everyone here will feel his wrath if we don't have something to show for it. I better check in with my contacts first to confirm that our man is in place. I but I have all confidence that they did as they were bidden to do."

Gelltor made his way away from the shore without taking a glance at Ebony. He rounded up those still alive while Malice gathered the dead and piled them up. Only a few of the NDK remaining on the shore were still alive, the rest had managed to get aboard the ship. Malice tried flapping his wings a few times until finally the spell wore off.

"Feeling better?"

Malice nodded and Gelltor mounted him. Deciding that confirming that the spy was implanted was more important than the well being of his fellow riders, Gelltor reported to Katelyn.

"Katelyn, I am off to find out if our man is in. See if you can buy me some time to do this."

"Tah, Sleet."

With that they took off without waiting for her. Timing was important since he needed the information before they reported to Hyro.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayos shook his head but Rio spoke against him.

"Ignore Ayos, Matthew, if there is anything you can do it would be appreciated."

Ayos sighed in defeat as he let Matthew fix up his arm.

"It looks like your getting big Questra."

Edited by En'K'Haral

((Sorry I haven't posted yet guys I've been rather busy, and figuring out where to insert myself hasn't been easy either. I should have a post up later today when I'm off work.))

(My character will look like a stalker, but I’ll follow you guys anyways xd.png)

While those in Hyro’s forces were busy following Katelyn’s orders, Solara and Asuka retreated as silently as they could from the battle place. They followed the water shore for a couple of minutes, the elf constantly looking back to see if they were being followed to be ready to take action. And in one of those glances, she found that the ship the NDK had boarded was about to disappear in the horizon.

How long do you think they will be away?

Maybe forever? Perhaps they are tired of this.

Hyro would be pretty pleased if that’s the case. But I don’t think they’ll just disappear like that, leaving all this people unprotected… not after this many years of battle… Solara frowned, wondering when she would see them again. And what would be about Chicias while they were away: because while the NDK trained to be properly ready for battle, the king’s soldiers would have time to rest and do the same. Those hatchlings need to grow… and their riders need to learn how to battle…

What are you thinking?

Follow the ship, Asuka.

Oh… come on!

What do you want to do? Stay here and live hidden? Because it will be only us against all of them. And I am sure that Alex will come to take us as soon as he is healed.

The dragoness growled. She hated when her rider was right, and this time she would have to comply. The thunder angled her wings towards the ocean, and was soon following the elven ship. She flew high over the clouds and miles away from the boat, staying hidden for the time being. She would be able to follow it for almost as long as she wanted: her breed, after all, was able to stay in the sky for long periods of time. And she didn’t need to sleep yet…

Malice had dropped Gelltor off in a secluded area and now the man was making his way to a shady bar with the hood of his cloak up. Once inside he spoke with a man in a corner and sat while the man left. Only moments later another man sat down next to him ordered two drinks and said only three words to Gelltor. Those words were, 'He is in', at this Gelltor smiled and mentally sighed in relief. The drinks came and Gelltor and the man drank quietly together, after all, people went to bars to drink. Once the drink was done Gelltor thanked the man by leaving some coin on the table as he left the bar. Meeting Malice in the spot he had been dropped off in he mounted his dragon and began to make his way back to the rest of the Dragon knights to bring the good news to Katelyn. They had some success after all; perhaps they would be saved from Hyro's infamous dinner knife treatment.

((I personally thought that the dinner knife to the side was the most epic thing ever. happy.gif))

Edited by En'K'Haral

Katelyn had been overseeing the progress and soon all bodies had been gathered. The bodies of the fallen riders of Hyro had been gathered in one heap, while the bodies of the fallen NDK knights in another heap. The dragons had been laid out one next to the other and Katelyn was just directing which dragon would carry which dragon back to the castle, while the bodies of the riders were put in a big net, to be carried by two dragons. Ebony lay between the dead dragons, but they had not found a single sign of Kiara. Deciding to order one of the waterdragons, who had stayed behind at the castle, to come and search for her the next day, Katelyn looked around and decided there was nothing more to be done at this moment.

Gelltor's not back yet...

I know, but we can't stall it any longer, he'll have to catch up. No point in letting Hyro wait.

Calling out to the others, Katelyn directed Sleet to fly up. The ice dragon did not carry anything, no dragon nor net of riders. Leading the way, they headed away from the beach and back inland towards the castle. As those dragons carrying other dragons were heavily loaded, their progress was rather slow, which would give Malice time to catch up.

+++++++

Nodding at the approval to take a look at Ayos' injury. Though he no longer had his bag from before having been captured, he had gathered some healing herbs on the way to the beach. Receiving two cups of clean water from one of the elves, he gave on cup to Questra to drink from and used the other to rinse and cleanse the shallow wound on Ayos' side. It was a minor injury indeed, but even shallow wounds could infect. After having rinsed the wound, he reached inside his pocket and brought out a single leave. Crushing the leave between his palms, a sharp scent came free. Pressing the crushed leave against the wound, he quickly bound it with the piece of cloth it had been bound with. Wiping his hand on his pants, he stood up and shrugged.

"Yarrow leave, works like a charm on wounds, even infected wounds. The fresher, the better. And if he would end up getting a fever, though I think it very unlikely, you can even use it to make tea of it to calm the fever. I'd suggest not to let him strain his side for a day or two, just so it can heal without cracking open again."

Looking down at Questra, he grinned.

"You're hungry, aren't you? Let's see if these elves have anything to eat, shall we?"

Gelltor was on an intercept course from Rythos to meet up with Katelyn and the others. He spotted them in the distance and nodded.

"Right on time. Malice bank and come up alongside of Katelyn."

Malice did as he was bidden once they closed in and flew beside Sleet.

"Hey there sailor, miss us?"

He said teasing playfully, Gelltor had been about to speak when Malice made his crude comment and had to stifle a laugh for a minute while placing his head in the palm of his hand. Once he had recollected himself he returned to seriousness.

"All is well Katelyn, our man is in place. It will be a little while before we get our first report since he will be working on being trusted. You see since he isn't an original member they may not be too trusting at first. My contacts assure me that he has a brilliant cover story. They told it to me, listen to this, the boy is the son of a major mafia don interested in keeping Hyro in power, in order to do this he had a dragon hatchling tamed to follow the boys orders, he was then sent to infiltrate and spy on the NDK and report all their actions in coded messages to his home. However, the boy was planning to escape with the dragon and go into hiding to begin with and so used this as an opportunity to get away and help the NDK, I thought that using the truth as a lie was absolutely brilliant. Once in he will feed them some garbage that he still needs to at least pretend to be reporting in otherwise Hyro will get wind of the treachery and that the NDK can use that to mislead us. He will give them some false code that my contacts know but for the first bit he will send us false information deliberately to gain the NDK's trust, he has been ordered to send false info every now and then so that we can keep him in there indefinitely. Until such time as our victories start making the NDK suspect each other and then he plants a little evidence, and suddenly Drac is the mole. What better position to have a spy then at the top of the list right? That makes it look like Hyro knew everything from the start. Any questions?"

"See it is different! The straps are wrong!"

"Now really isn't the time!"

Malice was staring very intently at Sleet's saddle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayos inspected his arm and was satisfied. He gave Matthew an approving nod.

"Thanks."

Rio spoke up at this point cheerfully.

"You do realize that this was more or less our first victory against Hyro. By getting away we once this battle, I say we celebrate with some music. I'll go and get my violin from Bramble."

Ayos interjected in an insulted voice.

"Only yours? What about mine? Maybe I want to play some music too you know."

Rio pointed accusingly at Ayos as she began her reprimand.

"You good sir are injured! You are in no shape to play any instrument at this point; it is my professional opinion as your rider that you should get some bed rest immediately."

With that Rio made her way's below decks to find Bramble fast asleep. She crept into the room not wanting to disturb him and climbing up onto his back searched through the few things that he had managed to bring despite the fight. Amongst those were both she and Ayos's violins she snatched up both and crept out of the room before dashing back up the stairs and begrudgingly handing Ayos his violin case.

"Don't say I never do anything nice for you."

The pair began by tuning their instruments.

Edited by En'K'Haral

Sleet had already picked up on Malice's scent and warned Katelyn they were coming. Ignoring the comment of the dragon, Katelyn kept her eyes fixed before them while listening to Gelltor's report.

'Very well, make sure that whatever information you are given, passes my first. You wouldn't want Hyro to get wrong information, would you?" Now she turned her head aside and looked at him. Annoyance and hatred still radiated from her eyes, despite the fact her eyes looked slightly dulled by grief and loss. Losing members of her team stung deeply, even though the word team was to be understood in the broadest sense. But being second-in-command meant she was responsible for them and every loss was a blame on her record. Her face hardened as a decision formed in her mind. All riders of Hyro would start training with one another. Training hard and much, until they formed a more coherent team and stood a greater chance for victory in any battle. Today she would let them rest and mourn the loss of others, but starting from tomorrow... Sleet glanced aside at Malice and let out a low growl.

Watch out, Kateyln. Malice is eyeing the straps to the saddle.

Cursed! Would they try to do something in full flight and sight of the others?

It's Malice and Gelltor, what do you think?

Those nasty...!

"Gelltor, don't even think about you or Malice trying anything against me or Sleet again. I may not have magical abilities to safe my hide, but I promise there will be repercussions, even if I don't survive." Despite the fact it was a lame threat - after all what could be done if she died? - she spoke it with such vehemence and strength, many would believe her promise to be true. Especially after having seen Hyro revive Kiara earlier.

+++++++

Watching the two come up with violins, Matthew shook his head and grinned. Grabbing Questra, he put her on his shoulders and took a few steps out of the way before anyone could start dancing and bump into them. Stopping one of the elves, he inquired about food and was immediately brought a loaf of bread and a small bundle of fruits and vegetables. Another one brought a small bundle of hay for Questra. Sitting down against one of the masts, Questra started chewing happily on the hay, grabbing a piece of fruit from Matthew now and then.

It's easy to forget reality here.

Relax, we're safe here.

Maybe...

Slowly eating the food given to them by the elves, Matthew listened to the music and tried to ease some anxiety out of his mind and body.

"Would you quite staring your making her nervous."

"So what! Just ask her what happened. It wouldn't hurt to at least pretend you care."

Gelltor gave up and the argument knowing that Malice would harass him about it for the rest of their natural lives.

"Ugh fine Malice I will ask."

He said in a rather irritated outburst.

"Katelyn you seem to have misunderstood Malice's gesture. He wants to know what happened to your saddle."

"Oh come off it, it's not like you weren't wondering either Gelltor."

Gelltor gave Malice a warning glare and the gray was silent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio and Ayos continued with their music for a while before they picked a more upbeat song. Ayos gave three taps of his foot in quick succession before Rio and Ayos burst out into fast paced fiddling and played an opening before Ayos began singing.

"Devil went down to Chicias, he was looking for a soul to steal,

He was in a bind, he was way behind and was willing to make a deal.

When he saw a young girl sawin a fiddle and playing it hot,

The Devil jumped up on a hickory stump and said 'Girl let me tell you what.'

'I bet you didn't know it but I'm a fiddle player too,'

'And if you care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.'

'Now you play a pretty good fiddle miss, but give the Devil his due'

'I bet a fiddle of gold against your soul cause I think I'm better than you.'

"The girl said, 'Well my name's Rio and it might be a sin,'

'But I'll take your bet, you’re gonna regret cause I'm the best there’s ever been!'

The pair sang the next part in unison.

"Rio rosin up your bow and play that fiddle hard"

"Rio rosin up your bow and play that fiddle hard"

"Cause hells broke loose in Chicias, and the Devil deals it hard."

"Cause hells broke loose in Chicias, and the Devil deals it hard."

"Now if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of Goooold!"

"Now if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of Goooold!"

"But if you lose the Devil gets your sooouuul!"

"But if you lose the Devil gets your sooouuul!"

They played the chorus before Ayos continued singing.

"The Devil opened up his case and said 'I'll start this show.'

And fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow.

And he drew that bow across his fiddle and it made an evil hiss.”

Ayos deliberately made his bow screech at this point.

"And a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this."

Ayos played a solo and part way through it created an illusion of demons playing a variety of string instruments.

"When the devil was finished Rio said, 'Well your pretty good ol' son'

'But sit down in that chair, right there, and let me show how it's done.'

'Fire on the mountain run boys run'

'Devil's in the house of the rising sun'

'Chicken in the bread pin pickin out dough'

'Granny does your dog bite no child no'

Rio then burst out in her solo.

"The Devil hung his head cause he knew that he'd been beat,

And he laid that golden fiddle right there at Rio's feet.

And Rio said, 'Devil just come on back if ever want to try again,'

'Cause I told you once you son of a censorkip.gif I'm the best there’s ever been!'

"Cause she played,"

"Cause she played,"

"Fire on the mountain run boys run!"

"Fire on the mountain run boys run!"

"Devil's in the house of the rising sun!"

"Devil's in the house of the rising sun!"

"Chicken in the bread pin, pickin out dough!"

"Chicken in the bread pin, pickin out dough!"

"Granny does your dog bite? No child no!"

"Granny does your dog bite? No child no!"

Rio and Ayos began playing the outro to the song while Ayos created the illusion that Rio's violin was turning into gold. By the end of the song they finished with a triumphant pose for all to see Rio's golden fiddle.

((Disclaimer time! I own nothing in the song here, not even the parts I dubbed in for the sake of the Role Play for safe measure happy.gif. This song was originally done by the Charlie Daniels Band and belongs to them to the extent of my knowledge. It sounds like

in case you were wondering.))

For a while Solara and Asuka followed the Elven ship from a considerable distance, the rider still thinking about the best way of showing themselves to the NDK. They had allowed Bramble to travel with them so… they might accept them too… she was scared of the questions, thought, those that were surely going to be asked. She didn’t felt like explaining the reason of her change of sides yet, but they weren’t going to be able to follow them under cover for much longer. And she believed it was better to show themselves, rather than to leave the others to think they were following them.

Well, we are following them.

Gah, you know the difference. If they find us, they might think we are hiding something. If we show ourselves we will let them know that we mean no harm…

Besides from their own voices, they could only hear the waves crushing against the boat’s side below. And slowly, a melody began to make its way towards them… a melody followed by voices. Solara couldn’t understand the exact words of Rio’s song, but Asuka, who had a sense of hearing that was even more accurate than that of an elf, translated it to her. Neither of them had ever heard it before.

Huh. It looks like they are relaxed now…

Perfect! Then it was time to try to approach them. “Hikari?” The elf called, carefully picking up the Day Glory Drake that was curled up and sleeping over her lap. The creature opened one eye lazily and yawned, to then stretch like a cat. “I have a task for you my dear”

Solara looked back at the packages Asuka was carrying over her back: between her rider’s trunk and her own armour, she looked more like a mule than a dragon. After opening a bag, the woman took out a beautiful white dress, made of fine silk. It was one of her favourites, of those she used to wear for parties and important meetings. And she ripped a chunk off with her bare hands.

AHHH what are you doing?! That was a nice gown! The dragon cried dramatically.

A hand made white flag of peace! She replied triumphantly. The former soldier gave that piece of fabric to Hikari, who took it between her front claws, and after murmuring a message to her she commanded the little creature to fly towards the ship.

And off went Hikari, carrying a message and that improvised white flag. The little drake might not have been as intelligent as a dragon, but she was a lot brighter than a regular human. After emerging from the clouds she beat her wings hard to reach the boat, heading straight to Rio, as she had been enchanted by the music the female was playing.

Upon arriving she perched over a wooden rail, and began to chirp happily as if demanding those who were playing to start again. The creature was just a bit larger than a house cat, but she looked like an adult dragon in miniature. Would she be able to deliver her owner’s message?

((I'm alive! I know I’m leaving out a lot of conversational pieces between rider and dragon, but that was done for the sake of catching up in the story. Not quite as epic as Kja’s posts but hey imagine if I had placed in the conversations. Also, if Kja has no complaints I'll insert some back story for her former connection to Hyro later.))

Ryoka couldn't believe how this day was going she had over slept, which was unusual for her. Normally she was an early riser thanks to Revy, her alt black dragon, wanting food. After equipping herself Ryoka immediately went down to the stables where she found the black sleeping. Well that explains a lot she thought to herself before kicking Revy’s snout causing the dragon to look up and wince in pain by the unexpected mental onslaught from her rider. Revy was initially confused as to what had caused the sudden outburst until she saw the saddle over Ryoka’s arm, and it was then that it dawned on her that they were suppose to have gone with the ship that was meeting up with the New Dragon Riders otherwise known as the NDK.

Ryoka I’m sorry I caused you to over sleep.

I know you didn’t do it on purpose, but we need to leave now so hold still.

The black didn’t budge an inch while her rider placed the saddle and made sure that all the straps were secured and fastened. Even though they were in a hurry Ryoka wasn’t about to let herself be careless as one lose strap could be the death of her during aerial combat. Once finished with her preparations Ryoka gave Revy a loving pat on the neck as she walked outside with the dragon soon following while letting out a small whine at the fact she wasn’t at the very least getting a snack before they left. Hearing the whine Ryoka gave the dragon a sharp glare, which caused Revy to hang her head low before lying down so that her rider could mount. Once on Revy’s back Ryoka slapped the dragon’s neck, which was followed by the dragon’s muscles tensing before leaping into the air with her wings delivering a powerful downward thrust propelling them into the air. Ryoka always hated take off there was just something about it she just couldn’t get used to. Once they were in the air both rider and dragon scanned the area looking for signs of the ship with little surprise that it wasn’t there.

Well isn’t this just peachy they probably left at the crack of dawn.

Does this mean we can stay home?

Ryoka clearly wasn’t amused with the comment, which was next to impossible for Revy to miss thanks to their link. ”You know as well as I do that we can’t stay we’re supposed to be acting as an extra set of eyes for them,” she said before she closed her eyes and began to concentrate as she used her abilities as a wind mage to read the currents. Once Ryoka opened her eyes again she passed the information on to her dragon who then began flapping her wings again until they hit a current on which she could use to glide on. The two of them weren’t exactly the best trackers in the world when it came to looking for targets on land, but when it came to the sea Ryoka was a natural at it as she could use her wind magic to help guide her to ships that had passed through the area.

Their flight was silent as both rider and dragon enjoyed the salty air that the water below them provided. Ryoka was almost sad when they finally spotted the ship, it had been far too long since they had gotten to enjoy a flight like this. Revy held the same opinion as that of her rider and let out an audible sigh before spiraling down towards the ship. Once they were flying alongside the ship Ryoka received word from the ship’s captain that they were to continue flying overhead scouting for signs of danger until they reached their destination. Ryoka acknowledged the orders with a nod and urged the black back up into the air where they could glide and avoid wasting too much energy.

The trip lasted for what felt like days before they finally reached where they were to meet up with the NDK. Upon seeing the damage that Hyro’s forces were causing in the distance it took all the strength that Ryoka had to keep her dragon from joining the fight. ”Don’t even think about it Revy if Hyro’s forces find out that we’re still alive who knows what will happen,” Ryoka said aloud while forcing her will upon the black causing her to climb higher and disappear into the clouds. Once they were hidden in the clouds Ryoka focused all her attention into calming Revy down, it wasn’t the dragon’s fault that she loved battle it was in her species’ blood. It took more time than what the rider would’ve liked to clam Revy, but once her mind was calmed they descended just below the clouds and let out a sigh of relief seeing the ship leave along with Hyro’s forces going back to where they had came from.

The pair stayed put until they were absolutely certain that the ship wouldn’t be harmed by anyone foolish enough to try and follow. After they felt it was certain that they could move on the pair began to once again play catch up once again. With a single thought Ryoka urged Revy to chase after the ship, which the black did without her usual objections. Due to their frustration of letting the ship get ahead once again the pair didn’t notice that there was another dragon and elf rider in the sky tracking the ship.

By the time the pair had caught back up with the ship once again they heard the lively tune from a rider and her hatchling. Their attention was soon caught by the streaking colors of a small drake and a blur of white. The sudden appearance of the drake caught the pair completely off guard causing Revy to come to a stop causing Ryoka to slam her face into the dragon’s neck, she was lucky she hadn’t been thrown off.

Revy don’t stop like that without warning me!

Quit complaining you’re not dead. Besides we have company.

Ryoka would yell at her dragon later, if what she said was true then they could be in big trouble. It was true that the drake had streaked by, but it didn’t mean that there was someone else near. Then she felt it the presence of another dragon. With their minds linked they both searched the skies when they noticed the thunder dragon.

Ryoka…

I know!

What should we do?

We’re going to the ship we’ll probably startle the passengers, but we don’t have much of a choice.

Ryoka knew that Revy was confused about the command, but the dragon followed her command and glided down towards the ship.

Rio smiled warmly at the very happy dayglory.

"You don't see a dayglory drake every day do you Ayos?"

Ayos however wasn't too enthused about the arrival of the drake. He began looking around as if searching for something.

"Ayos, what’s up?"

"Where did it come from? Last I checked a dayglory wouldn't have been able to make it out to the middle of the ocean all alone, without some kind of place to land on and I don't see any islands. I don't like this, I mean what's the white cloth-found you!"

He exclaimed as he spotted the thunder dragon in the sky, Rio looked up a bit puzzled when suddenly Revy pulled up alongside the ship.

"Hey, what's going on? I thought we ditched Hyro's forces!"

"Apparently not, Rio give me your bag, I will see what I can-"

"Hold up Ayos, look what the drake is carrying, a white cloth."

Rio exclaimed pointing a scaly finger at the drake. Ayos didn't get it.

"Your point?"

"Ugh, it means they are surrendering! They don't want to fight."

"It could be a trick."

"Some how I doubt Malice and Gelltor are lingering about right now. Come on let's invite them down."

Rio stood up and waved trying to motion the thunder to descend, in her warm-heartedness she wasn't exactly thinking practically but then again she rarely did. Ayos sighed and sat down grumbling to himself, until he was thumped on the head by Rio carelessly swishing her tail.

"I can't wait till I can turn you back to your original self; I am never giving you a tail again. You are so careless with it I am surprised you haven't oh wait look at that you have knocked people over."

There was a second more deliberate thump from Rio's tail.

(Rio has a tail? D= what?

Crappy post written in a rush. Sorries!)

Maybe it was because of the distance that those in the ship hadn’t recognised the pair on the sky. From the position they were, Asuka was probably just a little navy blue dot against the white clouds. And that was an advantage. After all, both of them were well known soldiers of Hyro… and the dragon’s craving for torturing her prisoners was even better known.

And they invite us to come down just like that?

Would have you prefer to have them attacking us? Come on, go down.

This could be a trap.

The rider just rolled her eyes, and pestered her mount until she complied and started to descend making big and lazy spirals over the ship. Both of them were alert to the moves of the ones below, so that if they tried something, they could just flee into the open sky. Once they were about a mile over the boat, near enough for the other to seem clearly and perhaps recognising them, Asuka stopped in mid air and hovered over the ship.

How the hell am I supposed to land in there? I will crash everyone! She complained. Thunders were one of the biggest breeds of dragons and the deck was already occupied by an alt black, besides for the pair of hatchlings and their riders, leaving nearly no space for anyone else.

I think that I will have to go down alone…

Like I will let you alone between their claws… the dragoness let out a menacing and audible growl, aimed to no one but her rider…

Down on the ship, the little drake jumped off of the rail. She scratched her slender body against Rio’s leg in a cat-like manner, to then look towards Ayos and wave her tail as a puppy. Once she was done with the presentations, she sat down on her hind legs and left the cloth on the ground. Right then everyone who was close would hear, or better said feel and see, a message. Because Hikari wasn’t able to use language as a source of communication, but could translate her thoughts through feelings and images.

Rio, Ryoka and Matthew would see a glimpse of Solara’s battle against her brother, as well as the rider silently helping the NDK in the recent fight against Hyro’s forces. And they would feel that the elf was calm, and that she didn’t mean harm to any of them…

((Yay for having to edit posts. I honestly wasn't planning on having Revy on the ship itself but I'll roll with it.))

Ryoka flinched at being potentially accused of being one of Hyro's forces. Revy wasn't in much of a better mood, but kept her mouth shut as she felt Ryoka loosening the straps so she could dismount. Once she could free her legs from the straps Ryoka maneuvered herself so that she was sitting in a sidesaddle position before leaping from the dragon to the ship's deck. Ryoka then looked towards Rio and Ayos as she spoke, "We're not part of Hyro's forces." No sooner had she spoken the words the pair felt the thoughts that were passed to them. Ryoka was a bit taken aback that there were other elves that had/were working for Hyro. Shaking the feeling off Ryoka silently watched as her mount once again took to the skies to provide room for the thunder and her rider.

((Ayos had cast a shape shifting spell on her to basically turn her into a kind of lizard man so they could go and rescue Drac effectively since the form possessed the ability to camouflage itself. However if you read a little whiles back you will see that in the end Drac was perfectly capable of rescuing himself. That is why she has a tail; she isn't currently in a human form. happy.gif The reason she has yet to be changed back is because it takes a lot out of Ayos and he needs to rest up. Since he has been casting spells of late it will take even longer.))

Rio shook her head to Ryoka.

"I didn't mean you. I meant them, duh."

She said pointing at the thunder and her rider. She recognized them once they got closer and immediately switched back to being on guard.

"Wait a second!"

"I told you! But no, you have to be miss trust everyone that doesn't try to kill us right off the bat. Hyro's troops aren't stupid Rio!"

Ayos was at this point too worn out to do anymore magic Rio on the other hand still had her volatile red and white marbles but thankfully they received the telepathic message before Rio had thrown any at Asuka. Once the message was understood Rio relax and put the marbles away, Ayos was not so quick to trust but since he wasn't in a position to argue the matter he went along with it.

"You can be a bit too optimistic sometime you know."

"Oh come off it. You’re happy we have new allies too, speaking of which you should be nicer to Bramble from now on. He saved our hides from Gelltor back there."

Ayos sat next to the drake and didn't respond to Rio's statement, but she picked up the feeling of understanding from him and smiled to her dragon.

Hearing Gelltor's question, Katelyn couldn't believe her ears. The nerve of that man! Pretend innocense, but it wouldn't work, not this time. Taking a deep breath before replying, she tried to calm herself down instead of sounding like a mad lunatic. When she trusted her voice to sound firm and annoyed instead of pure anger, she replied him.

"As if you don't know. You can stop playing your roles, Gelltor. I know what kind of man you are." Giving a mental command to Sleet, she picked up the pace, forcing the other dragons with their heavy loads to strain their wings in an attempt to follow them. Suddenly, Katelyn couldn't get the upcoming events over fast enough.

Finally arriving back at the castle, she ordered for the bodies of those fallen to be carried into the coldest cellar and laid out there in case Hyro wanted them for further 'investigation'. The bodies of the dragons were temporarily put under cloth away from all buildings. Though Katelyn was sure Hyro probably wouldn't need those bodies, she didn't want to risk burning them just yet. Instructing Sleet to go to their quarters, Katelyn herself entered the castle. Taking deep breaths, she tried to calm her nerves, a futile case. Sleet tried to keep a tight link to her, but she blocked him, promising she would let him know the result as soon as possible. The ice dragon complained, argued and got angry, but Katelyn kept him out of her mind as well she could. Whatever Hyro planned to do to her, she didn't want Sleet linked to het to share her pain.

The ice dragon slowly padded to their quarters and crawled inside his stable. Unable to undo the reins strapping the saddle to him, he laid down with the saddle on. Leaving the large double doors open, his eyes were locked on the stone walls of the castle. Katelyn in the meanwhile walked through the corridors and hallways, finally arriving at the throne room. Taking a deep, shuddering breath, she asked the servant at the door to request an audience for her from Hyro.

+++++++

While he had been listening to Rio and Ayos play, Matthew laughed at their antics. They were good, that was for sure. But just as the song was finished and he looked up and around with a faint smile on his face, he spotted the small drake with the piece of cloth. Standing up slowly, he kept his eyes on the creature and called out.

"Watch out! That drake... he looks familiar!" Following where Rio was looking, he ran over to her and tried to stop her from waving the thunder dragon down. Pulling her around, he shook his head.

"What are you doing! That's one of Hyro's! I knew I had seen that drake before, that's one of the elven twins in Hyro's force and you're just letting them in!" Seeing the drake jump of the railing and start transferring the message, Matthew's suspiscion only kept growing. While some others seemed to trust the two new ones immediately - such as Rio appeared to do - Matthew wasn't so quick to trust them. Whatever Solara tried to tell them, it might all be a trick. It wouldn't be the first time one of Hyro infiltrated their midst.

Gelltor pursued Katelyn to the extent of his abilities.

"What the hell has gotten into that woman!? Dump me at the Castle I am going in after her. Then talk to Sleet, see what you can find out. Someone is screwing with my plans, I want names."

Malice complied and Gelltor hopped off of Malice and dashed into the castle after Katelyn. He managed to catch up just as she was making the request for an audience.

"Hold up on that. Katelyn we need to talk."

Malice landed in front of Sleet's stable just after the ice had settled down.

"You know full well we haven't come near you. What's the deal? your being an idiot, after all, if we wanted you dead you would be sixteen times over already, unlike most of the others we don't hesitate to kill as you well know, neither do we make the mistake of making our intentions obvious to our enemies or even our friends, as you know equally well. So what gives?"

Malice's tone was dead serious.

Rio shrugged Matthew off and huffed.

"Jeeze, you sound just like Ayos. Why would a single Hyro soldier come all the way out here to fight a fight that the rest of his dragon riders lost? She would be dead in minutes. Not to mention the images and the white flag of surrender."

She retorted in irritation. Ayos simply shook his head to Rio.

"He is right Rio, it could be a trick, mental images can be easily forged and implanted into the brain along with feelings that could be made to misguide. She might just be waiting until she is good and low before blowing off the metal defenses the elves have here and then having the rest who could well be hiding above the clouds come down and either kill or capture us as well as the elves."

"But she is an elf too!"

"Didn't stop her from joining Hyro did it?"

Rio sighed and slumped down on the deck defeated.

"I am sure she is safe."

She said pouting.

Lifting a brow, Matthew wondered if Rio had any clue about the infiltrants which had led to their capture the last time. Glancing back at Solara, he shook his head once more.

"It's up to Drac to decide what happens to her. But it wouldn't surprise me if we end up captured by her hand. That girl and her brother are twins, they wouldn't break apart." Questra flapped up to the railing and peered up at the big Thunder Dragon. Her long tail swished from side to side like an excited dog or horse batting away flies.

He's big...

And dangerous.

But think of the power at our hands if she really did jump sides.

And think about the danger if she didn't.

Ah...

+++++++

Katelyn, wacht out. Malice is here, without Gelltor.

But Katelyn had still locked her mind away from Sleet's. The Ice Dragon snorted and shook his head. A small cloud of iced air blowing from his nostrils. He didn't feel comfortable being cornered and made a mental note to ask for a second exit to his 'room'. Listening to Malice he sneered, teeth showing.

I know nobody came into this stable, I am vigilant. But someone molested the straps of the saddle and it's not exactly a secret you and Gelltor would rather see us at the bottom of a bottomless pit.

It sounded less hostile and angry than he would have liked, but Sleet felt tired and his spirit was down. Katelyn in the meanwhile turned and glared at Gelltor. The servant at the door looked from one to the other, hesitating.

"Whatever it is, Gelltor, it will have to wait. I am about to report to Hyro, which can not wait. Go back to the ground and assist the others." Motioning to the servant, she let him know he could proceed. Taking another shuddering breath, she wondered what would be worse. Having to deal with Gelltor or having your mind wiped by Hyro and used to his devices. This thought made her chuckle inwardly and she took another deep breath.

Gelltor shrugged and continued, to speak.

"Look I didn't wreck your straps. Not to mention that it was you who wanted to share responsibility, not me, unless I am mistaken that requires me to report in alongside you, unless of course you feel it prudent to relinquish me of said responsibility."

Well that may not have been bright but if she intends to lay blame without me knowing she has to do so by pushing me out of the spotlight first. If she brings me in I can argue my case."

Gelltor thought to himself.

"Sleet, is being difficult."

"Persevere."

Malice sighed and sat down and off to one side a bit.

"You and Katelyn can relax around us Sleet, contrary to popular belief we don't want you dead. Besides if no one came inside how could it possibly have been us? Even if Gelltor used a saboteur you would have picked up some kind of scent but there is nothing. That spells magic, something we don't have. Your nose is the best in the country try taking a sniff about and see what you find. I don't particularly like it when Gelltor is forced to take blame for someone else's mishaps. Besides like I said before, if we wanted you dead we would have done a much better job of it. This is sloppy, hell it's not even a real assassination attempt, it looks more like someone has a grudge against you then anything else and quite frankly despite your dour attitudes you’re not worth my efforts for a grudge. You just haven't done anything really all that wrong. So do me a favor and stop thinking we're out to kill you."

Malice said trying the 'let's be reasonable' approach for the first time in his life. But then he added clearly sarcastically.

"Yet."

He then let out a mock evil laughter before calming himself and waiting to see what Sleet had to say.

Rio was not convinced and retorted again.

"That's not true. I wouldn't be surprised if she and her brother did have a fight. Nobody in Hyro's forces gets along. They all hate each other as much as they hate us."

Ayos covered Rio's mouth with his tail having had enough of her retorts.

"Rio, you need to be more realistic, not everyone that comes in peace or surrender really means it. You need to get a grasp of that."

Rio sighed and Ayos moved his tail away. She looked up at Solara and then to Matthew and then back at the ground once again defeated. She was sure Solara meant it but Rio wouldn't be able to convince the others.