Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

((Titli it's obvious you haven't read a single post, otherwise you would know that this RP is done and over with... This RP has ended. And then asking after 4 minutes already if you're accepted, while everybody here is struggling with time differences of half a world... Sorry, but it doesn't exactly come over positively.))

Edited by BlackScorpion7

((^This^ For me your posts were at midnight Titli.

On a related note, I thought titli was some acronym I was unfamiliar with and spent 20 minutes trying to work it out.

OH, and DS is writing a book! It has Taja in it and I'm her editor/proof reader. I shall rummage for and edit with link.))

((So has it been decided for certain that we are shifting to the freeform and beginning on the sequel? [after due process of course]))

((Uhm, yes, I guess so, unless anyone has any further objections. I guess we can hold off on having this locked for a tad, seeing as we can use it as a handy planning thread.))

((I have no objections with calling this done. I will admit that I'm a bit sad to have come back just for it to end, but I'm looking forward to taking part in the sequel.))

*pokes the proverbial embers* I haven't really been working on the sequel yet, as I have no real solid plot in mind and I've been working on another RP. Just thought you'd like the update.

((Many thanks and randomish ideas. After a Rebellion as intense as Drac's would have been surely someof their neighbors would notice a decline in military strength due to losing tons of soldiers in their little civil war. Perhapes an invasion for the backdrop, or maybe a devilishly clever extortion, perhapes a second rebellion after being conquered by said invasion? Just pitching some thoughts.))

That was a thought I had, even to a little imagined scene with representatives from another nation trying to ambush an unarmed Drac, and he just smiles and suddenly it's a double-ambush.

Chicias, as a nation, was always intended to be incredibly magically powerful on average compared to the rest of the world, and the increasing use of gunpowder throughout the rebellion (and afterwards) would still make them a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by Kjakings

Minor bump.

I thought it might be best to keep this open, or at least archived somewhere for the first week or so of the still-hypothetical sequel as reference material.

With regards to the sequel, I thought it'd be something akin to Hyro refusing to stay dead and stirring up an undead army far away, with it slowly spreading to other countries, and those countries having to invade their smaller neighbours in order to survive as they would be totally incapable of effectively fighting the undead, leading to a multi-faceted war.

The player characters would be something of an elite Dragon Knights unit, sent to investigate what the whole undead thing is and try to devise a way to fight them, but recalled as Chicias' neighbours decide that the somewhat sheltered little country might be worth trying to take.

At some point, although I'm not especially sure when or how, the last surviving member of the Draconæ gets caught up in everything and begins a desperate effort to try and re-build the order, possibly taking recruits from the elite unit. This last bit is not set in stone and is becoming less and less likely the more I think about the possible plot.

((Sounds cool, and do-able. The bit about the draconae would be fun and interesting but as you implied it doesn't really seem to mesh. TO me it seems that it would be a thing better brought in by someone else and incorporated into the main plot later. My opinion anyways happy.gif))

By the way, have any of you read Temeraire? If you have, I was thinking our super-special elite unit's dragons would have crews such as in those books.

((Hmm...sounds like a fun idea but I can't help but feel that it takes a way from the bond between rider and dragon a bit. Especially if it's to the point were the crew takes care of the dragon rather than the rider, that kinda makes the dragon just another mount which to some degree is moving away from what I am guessing is a major backdrop mortion of the RP.))

I think that mostly the dragons are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, and in Temeraire the bond between dragon and Captain was still every bit as strong: the best (and, to my knowledge, only) way of taking a dragon as a captive of war is to board him (via leaping from dragon to dragon) and fight your way to his captain, who you will then disarm and threaten. Then the dragon's will to fight will completely collapse under the weight of worry.

((...fight to him? I kinda got the imprecation that only one or two people could ride a dragon at once, but you none the less make a good point. happy.gif))

Nah. In Temeraire whole crews worked the dragon. The gunnery crew, boarders, anti-boarders, one or two blacksmiths, ground-crew... the dragons in that are huge. That's how I've always imagined DC dragons. Some species, of course, are smaller and have smaller crews. Several small Chinese breeds are totally independent, serving Captainless as messengers. But in China the dragons are respected as citizens, whereas in Britain they're considered along the lines of cavalry horses despite being totally sapient. It's caused by the fact that Western dragons are much fewer in number than in China and the other parts of Asia. One thing they keep liking to say is "When the Romans first began to tame and breed dragons for war, the Chinese had already been masters of the art for over a thousand years."

... Anyway, I rather tangentalised there. I believe the point I was trying to make is that different species of dragons would have different crews; only blacks, guardians and maybe reds could support crews of that size. Other species have advantages other than size and strength that a large crew could inhibit. I would think that Magi, for example, would have instead of a gunnery crew, one of mages that can give strength to or borrow strength from the dragon in order to fight.

((Huh, I've always viewed dragons from a D&D perspective, big enough to classify as huge but too small to carry large crews [certainly not blacksmiths]. Still I kinda dig the idea of having crews and I see what your getting at with the different sizes and crews. happy.gif))