Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

Drac sighed and pushed himself up, groaning slightly. One day everything he was doing to his body would catch up with him and he’d drop dead. He walked over to the man who had been giving orders and Drac assumed was the captain.

“Brilliant machines. How do they work? No kinetic magic I’ve ever seen can hurl even one of those big fat censorkip.gif***s at those speeds, let alone the two dozen you shot up those unlucky sods with.” Drac commented conversationally, the elf nodding back without taking his eye off the work of the rest of the crew.

“It’s not magic. Well, we use magic to make them more efficient, but we could do without I suppose. We use a massively explosive powder, load the round-shot in and a lick of pyromancy sets it off. Swab down, dry, reload, fire. Rinse and repeat. This is the first ship we’ve outfitted with a sizable supply. We’re putting a hundred of them on our first-rates, some of them triple the size of these. We’ve had little luck in making a hand-held version; it’s easier to make things bigger than smaller. Are they one of yours?” The captain mentioned, motioning over to some specks in the distance. Drac squinted slightly and muttered a quick spell to enhance his vision and noticed the thunder coming in to land.

Leaping down onto the deck Drac went to greet them, conscious of all the heavy weaponry and magical power around them. I still need to give Cassie those magic lessons. Drac shook his head and gave his full attention to the problem at hand.

“You have come under a flag of parley, I am here. State your business. If your intentions are malicious, you will leave.”

(I missed that whole lizard thing part o.O

And talyhawk, no worries about the ship! It’s just that I imagined how gigantic that boat must be as to have place for so many adult dragons, and it kind of amused me xd.png)

Both rider and dragon could hear the other’s discussions, even though they were still up in the sky. They had recognised them after all, and some of them were evidently not too thrilled about them being there. And all those words made Asuka even more reluctant to let Solara down. Silently, the former soldiers were arguing too.

You can speak from up here perfectly. Going down there is suicide; they will jump at your throat as soon as they have a chance…

I thought that the ones who killed without reasons were Hyro’s soldiers…

Pss, whatever. If I were them, I would attack us at the first chance…

You were evidently raised under Hyro’s wing…

Whatever! I won’t let you down!

Solara rolled her eyes again, to then start to loosen the straps around her legs. And even before the dragoness could do something about it, she jumped off her back and down to the deck. As the elf was a skilled shape shifter, she was able to borrow and imitate the animal’s natural talents: and as a feline, she landed softly on her feet and one hand. The former soldier then took her sword with its scabbard, placed in front of her and stepped back. She had left the rest of her weapons over the dragon’s back.

I hate you. Asuka growled once more, and this time she sounded menacing. She had to fight the urge of landing heavily over the deck to make the boat swing under her weight, because she was afraid of stepping on something or someone. Instead, she descended carefully and positioned herself behind her rider, sitting on her back legs and with the tail curled around her body to be able to fit in the space the alt. black had left for her. Neck curled gracefully, wings folded against her back and the round medallion shinning against her chest; she would have looked magnificent if it wasn’t for her expression…

One could even say that she was frowning her scaly brow. And the big scar on her neck where the Vampire dragon had bitten wasn’t very nice either…

“If our intentions were malicious, we wouldn’t be standing right in the middle of your lines.” Were Solara’s first words, which were aimed at Drac. Her tone was severe, not because she wanted to sound aggressive, but because her voice was naturally like that. The NDK would learn that later. “I won’t lie: as you may have noticed, my dragoness isn’t exactly thrilled about being here. But we mean no harm, and she will not do anything against anyone as long as I am safe.”

The Thunder showed her white fangs ever so lightly in a reflex movement, and then shut her jaw again. Before continuing, Solara paused and left a moment of silence to see how the others would react…

((Yeah a boat having that many adults would be an amusing sight.))

I don't like her dragon. That was just like Revy straight to the point, but Ryoka could understand the dragoness' sentiment. The lightning hadn't done anything wrong to them it was just she gave off a very bad first impression on top of Revy's influence of I want to fight. Cutting her link with the dragoness as best she could Ryoka listened to what Solara had to say. It was strange Solara reminded her of a bit of herself when she had abandoned Hyro's forces long ago. "I for one see no reason as to why we shouldn't let them join, but I doubt my opinion matters much since I'm not officially a member of the NDK." The statement, especially the second half was directed towards Drac.

Katelyn could almost shoot daggers at Gelltor. Didn't he realize this ordeal of having to report to Hyro was nervewrecking enough without having the traitor be there to talk bad about her? But then she thought to know just how she could try and push him away from here. Suddenly grinning, she gave him a slow nod.

"Sure, feel free. Come along and report to Hyro how well this little campaign went. I guess that if he choses to puppetize me like he did Taja, I better not be alone. After all, he tends to like sending his puppets after those nearby, doesn't he? I mean, look at Bramble. And who knows, if he's in the mood he will have two new puppets. Double the pleasure!" An almost maniacal glint shone in her eyes, a sure prove she was nervous about this upcoming meeting. Doubling the mental barrier between Sleet and her, she had not a single clue the Ice Dragon was being harassed as well.

Sleet in the meanwhile was almost choking on laughter. Staring at Malice he shook his head.

"And how sour was that pill? How long did it take you to memorize that nice little speech? Soooo convincing!" Another bout of laughter shook his body and he huffed out small clouds of icy mist to try and calm himself. When finally he had calmed down enough to talk again, he let out a snort.

"Nobody came into these stables, so there was no physical presence here. True. You claim you and Gelltor don't have magical powers, but you're both sneaky enough to keep possible powers hidden. And second of all, you know well enough that we can not scent magic. We might be the best in tracking physical scents and presences, but magic..." His sentence ended a little wistfully, as Sleet knew that if Katelyn and him would have a bit of magical power, things might be easier for them.

+++++++

((No post for Matthew, he's just standing there, watching the proceedings...))

Malice shook his head in disappointment.

"That's the problem with you two. You don't use your heads at all, I mean what about Kiara? She has the power and the motive and it never occurs to you that it might be her?"

Gelltor nodded with a satisfied look on his face.

"I don't think you need to worry about being turned into more of a puppet then we already are. A puppet can't determine scents and tracks quite the same way you can. Not to mention that without possessing my own mind there can be no cunning plans. We should probably just keep to the facts. The assault failed, there was an act of sabotage, and our spy is in place and we will be given plenty of notice about their return as well as their actions from then on. This will weed out the traitors and keep us ahead of the game with the NDK. Also the propaganda campaign is proving quite successful, that should keep him from tearing us apart."

Gelltor said smiling slyly.

"Oh and try not to look scared while we are in there. It reflects badly on us."

"Malice your gonna have to keep quite for the time being, keep trying to convince Sleet that it wasn't us, we need this pair on our side."

"What we need is something they want, I could ask them."

"No, I will deal with that."

"Ok then."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio rounded on Ayos and Matthew.

"See guys, there is nothing to worry about."

Ayos just placed his head in his palms and sighed. It looked like there would be no reasoning with Rio at the moment.

"You guys have just as much trust issues as Hyro's soldiers. This is the NDK it's not like we are all about to back stab each other."

"We should still be careful though Rio. She isn't in the NDK just yet."

Rio went silent since it was true and sat back down and sighed.

"I suppose."

((It wouldn't have to be that big. In the Temeraire novels, the dragons could only land on first-rates and the dragon transports, but that was mainly due to the problems with them overbalancing and overweighting it, rather than any real size issue. An elven frigate can handle two adult dragons on deck and a sleeping one down in the hold, I would think.))

Matthew just shrugged, leaning with his back against the railing.

"All I know is I won't be sleeping with my back unprotected just yet. Remember how we got caught the last time? Hyro's forces may not exactly trust each other, but one of them seems to get information on us every single time. How else would they have found us back in the forest and then on the beach?" Questra leaned her front paws on his shoulder, her back legs supporting her on the railing. Using her tail to keep her balance, she laid her head down on her front legs and let out a short whinny.

My back is itching. And my wings are itching. And I don't trust them either.

Reaching up, Matthew scratched her back. It seemed as if she grew every single day. It wouldn't be long before she was between hatchling and dragon. Not long before he could soar through the skies with her. Not long before they would be able to defend the NDK as they should.

+++++++

"Kiara? She never showed any grudge towards us. Hell, she hardly ever said a word to us. Why would she try to harm us? But you two on the other hand, you never hid your true feelings about us." Sleet yawned widely and scratched his back with the tip of his tail.

"I hope she gets done quickly, I can eat a bull or two!" Licking his chops, the ice dragon laid his head down on his front paws and closed his eyes. He did not feel like trying to outsmart Malice. The dragon and his rider were known for their cunning. Whatever Sleet would say, there was a big chance it would be used against them later on. So he preferred to wait for Katelyn and let her handle this prickly pickly situation.

His rider snorted at Gelltor's words.

"Sounds nice, Gelltor. But do you really think Hyro will find that explanation satisfactory? Do what you want, but don't come whining if he orders you to kill Malice. It's your own choice to go in there." Looking back at the door, she waited for the servant to come back and let her - or them - in to see Hyro.

Malice placed his head in his palm; it looked like Sleet was losing interest.

"I mean the evidence is there, Kiara has always wanted to be Hyro's second it's well known. Now in spite of her abilities which could be considered greater then yours and Katelyn's combined she was passed up again, and in place someone whom she considers lesser is placed in command. True you’re not Taja and the same level of hate isn't there but the motive remains. Besides, it's in our best interest if you remain alive for as long as you can, the longer the better."

Gelltor had been listening in on this conversation as well and cut Malice off.

"Hold your tongue you ignoramus!"

A slight glance was shared by both rider and dragon as the only sign that something had been said. Gelltor returned to his conversation with Katelyn.

"There is no real choice. Either I report in with you since you would consider me your equal, or I neglect my duty and get executed for insubordination. Not many options. Where is that man? How long does it take a slave to send a request these days?"

He said in frustration, the truth was he was just as unconformable with reporting in but he tried not to show it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio shook her head at Matthew.

"I heard from the other NDK that a drake had found us in the forest, and I saw for myself that bright light in the sky which would have been a dead giveaway."

"Maybe we should educate Drac on the art of subtlety. Wouldn't you agree?"

Rio nodded in agreement with Ayos, Drac needed to learn how to be less showy otherwise it would get them all killed.

"Yeah, today we got lucky. Next time we should assume they will be better prepared."

Hearing Malice's last sentence, Sleet cracked open one eye and stared at him. For a long time he said nothing, hoping to make him nervous. After a while though, he spoke in an almost whisper.

"What did you say?" Crawling up again, his tail flicked back and forth. This could be the prove Katelyn and him had wanted all along, a prove of whatever those two were planning. Slowly, keeping his movement deliberate, the ice dragon advanced on the grey one.

+++++++

Katelyn snorted, shaking her head.

"I never made you my equal, I am and will remain your commander. For this operation I had said we had to work as equals, which is completely different. But true, I did promise you I would let Hyro know just how invaluable your specific talents are. If you want to tell him yourself, feel free to do so." With the prospect of reporting to a man capable of pulling someone from Death himself, Katelyn didn't exactly feel up to skirmishing with words with a man like Gelltor. If he wanted to doom himself, it was his hide. The amount of time it took for them to be let in was making her even more nervous. To Keep herself distracted, she started making plans to try and get them all transformed into a team.

Malice did not reveal any more information and instead said simply.

"Look, we don't want you dead so stop accusing us."

He had also stood up and was backing off. He wasn't sure what Sleet would do but he decided to be ready for it, a light breeze began to pick up, in and of its self non-threatening but he was ready to turn it into a savage gale at a moment's notice. Gelltor sensed his dragon's tension and decided to end the conversation.

"Your kindness is appreciated Katelyn, I will stand aside for this meeting. Just remember to mention the spy and all should be well. If you can, request to keep him alive. I have a feeling he will be of repeated usefulness. Oh, it might be a good idea to tell Sleet not to start any fights with Malice while in the courtyard, it reflects badly on both of us."

Gelltor then simply waited for the servant to return. He decided that being the first to leave would be a bad idea; if Sleet had caught on he wanted to know how Katelyn would react.

Hyro growled as some annoying servant tapped on the door. He noticed by the tattoos the man was a slave, annoying him further. He disagreed with the trade, not from any humanitarian aspect, it was just inefficient and a bad way to control a man.

"Nobody is to disturb me while I'm working. Nobody." The poor stupid slave almost defecated himself, right on Hyro's step. He wanted to kill the annoying little man just for that.

"Mistress Katelyn requested your presence, sire. She has a report of some kind. Master Gelltor is with her." Hyro sighed in annoyance and strode forwards into the doorway and past the slave. He touched him on the forehead and added his spirit to his 'work.'

"This had better be damn important Katelyn. Nobody disturbs me while I'm in my labs. Short of the imminent decimation of half of my army, you may soon be joining Taja." It was a bluff: that one time had been a fluke, he had never managed it before or after, despite a large level of testing. They couldn't know that of course.

"Also, never bring your sub-ordinates to a meeting; it looks bad." He continued, dismissing Gelltor with a flip of his hand as Carlyle came up to him with a document that required the King's signet. Something about the wheat harvest in Rkantha. "Have you never heard of a written report? That is, assuming you are literate."

He had seen them return: an entire wing of dragons in the sky wasn’t exactly something easy to miss, and Alexander had been paying close attention.

It was obvious that the battle had been a disaster. The soldier himself helped to carry the bodies of the fallen ones to the chambers Katelyn had ordered, and was now walking between the dragons. Those were the death’s that affected him the most, after all, not all those beasts had been following their riders at their free wills.

No one but his Drake accompanied him. As the sun was still shinning, Lord needed to stay inside, and Malena was still out hunting. With a frown in his brow, the elf awaited patiently for the new second in command to call him again…

-------------------------------

The first to spoke had been the elf: Solara turned her head to look at Ryoka, silently wondering how someone could trust a former enemy so easily. But still, she thanked the vow of trust. The strange lizard girl was welcoming too, and said something about Hyro’s soldiers trust issues… that made her grin slightly, as Rio was totally right. And well, after all, both Asuka and Solara had been under the dark’s king wing for a very long time…

She had to ignore the rest of the presents comments for the meantime, as she knew she would gave to gain their trust with a lot of work. A drake found them in the forest? Well… it wasn’t Hikari surely… could it have been my brother’s? She thought, and frowned slightly. She didn’t know of any other soldiers who kept night and day glories as company…

Shaking those thoughts away, Solara continued. “Well then, I came here with an offer of peace, and hopefully to make a trade that might benefit all of us. I am not interested in becoming one in your lines, that is, I will still follow my own ideals. Those ideals are now more similar to the NDK than to those of Hyro, so we will fight for your side if the path you are following is the same as ours.” It was as simple as that. “As you have seen, after the battle against my brother, both Asuka and I gained some serious wounds. We need a safe place, and most of all time, to heal them, and that is why we came after you. If you accept us as your allies and give us shelter in the meantime, we will gladly help you all train… I think those hatchlings will need a teacher, and I could mentor the riders in the art of weapons and magic. If what your people say is correct, and you do need to learn the ways subtlety, I could teach you that.”

She spoke mainly to Drac, as he was the one in charge in that place. During all her rider’s speech the thunder dragon remained still, not at all pleased with what the elf had said, but also knowing that an inadequate reaction could cost much to both of them.

Username: cocoaloco. Most call me Cocoa.

Side: NDK

Name: Toralon

Race: Human

Appearance: Toralon has brown hair with dark blond highlights etched in it. His hair is usually messy and occasionally has a chunk or two of dirt in it. He has hazel eyes, which are a rather odd mixture of blue, yellow, and brown swirls that spiral out from the pupil. He's not very tall, only about 5' 7", but sturdily built. The best way to describe him would to say that he's stocky. He has a bit of facial stubble, but not much, since for some reason he's never been able to grow a full beard. He's often sunburned, but on occasion acquires an actual tan.

He wears a dark green shirt and tan pants. On chillier days he might throw on a rough brown cloak, but usually he won't. On his feet he sometimes wears leather boots, but more often than not he walks barefoot.

Personality: Toralon is quiet, usually laid back, and is often thought to be stupid, deaf or dumb. In reality, he isn't, but he prefers to listen and think instead of taking a very active roll in conversations. When he does take part, it's because he has a very serious interest in the discussion. He speaks thoughtfully, but is still rather blunt about it. He could be described as a mace as far as personality goes; blunt and to the point.

Other: He wields a staff weapon that's about half a foot taller than he is, made of dark wood which is probably ash. One end has a blade attached to it, and the other was shaped into a mace-like knob of wood.

~*~*~*~*~*

Dragon’s name: Jatuma

Dragon’s age: Hatchling with wings.

Dragon’s gender: Female

Dragon’s race (DC Only please): A red Stripe

Appearance: A pretty little red striped dragon with light yellow eyes and a dainty step. Her sharp teeth are quick, and she's a rather graceful hunter, although she's still a bit clumsy.

Personality: Sharp as a dagger's edge, and just as quick, she's cunning and thoughtful, with a sharp wit and sense of humor. She's talkative and friendly most of the time, but when she feels that Toralon is in danger, she's a deadly young dragon with an attitude full of fire.

Other: N/A

(I had PMed this, but ah well, posting's always good too, eh?)

Narrowing her eyes, Katelyn wondered what Gelltor was talking about. She just wanted to reconnect the link with Sleet, when Hyro appeared. Steeling herself best she could, she kept her back straight and looked forward as he berated her. At the mention of Taja, a drop of cold sweat ran down her back, but she kept her face straight. When he was finished, she bowed her head slightly.

"My Lord, my apologies for the disturbance, I only wished to inform you immediately about our most recent operation. A written report will be filed as soon as possible. But I thought it prudent not to lose any time to writing at this moment. As to the presence of Gelltor, I am afraid it is my mistake. It is he who handles the spies we have working against the NDK and I requested his report in order to be able to fully inform you. I should have waited for his full report before coming to you, My Lord. My apologies, it will not happen again." Turning to face Gelltor, she almost shot daggers out of her eyes to him.

"Proceed to the grounds and help the others." Turning back to Hyro, she bowed her head slightly once more.

"My Lord, thanks to the spies Gelltor has in place, we had been informed about the whereabouts of the NDK. We immediately set forth in full force to apprehend them. Unfortunately they had help from an unexpected corner. Apparently they are in liege with the elves, who came to their rescue. We have not been able to catch any of the NDK alive, but do have the bodies of a few of them. They are being stored in the downstairs cellar for your use and investigation. Unfortunately due to the intervention of the elves with their weapons, many of our own force have been terminated as well. Their bodies are being stored temporarily in the cellar as well. With your permission, My Lord, we would like to burn the bodies of the dragons. One of the spies of Gelltor has been able to slip aboard of the elven vessel though and is in place to slip information to us. We will be warned at random times about the actions of the NDK and the elves, as well as when and what they are planning to do. And with your permission, My Lord, I would like to start training our own force to learn to work together as a team, in order to minimize risks to our own force." Swallowing, she took a deep breath.

"One of the fallen dragons was the black Ebony. We have found no trace of Kiara, but have to assume she did not make it through the battle." Katelyn took another deep breath, her head still held slightly down in a form of respect. Her eyes were locked on the ground and her heart was beating a furious rythm, while cold sweat crept slowly along her back and sides as she steeled herself for Hyro's reaction or order.

+++++++

"Why are you suddenly so defensive, Malice? Is something the matter? And why suddenly so concerned about our wellbeing?" The ice dragon kept proceeding slowly, his tail swishing back and forth while a small puff of white, freezing air came from his nostrils.

+++++++

Still leaning against the railing, Matthew listened to the speech of Solara with obvious distaste and distrust on his face. When she spoke about training hatchlings and riders, his interest perked up a bit though.

Someone to teach me to fly could be handy.

I know, as well would it be handy if someone could teach me to fight while flying.

But we can't trust her.

Can't we?

Matthew shook his head, sure that if they would trust her and she would teach them, she would teach them wrongly or hurt them on purpose. Lifting his head, he looked up at the Thunder dragon, eyes narrowing. A thunder was a strong dragon, much stronger than the average dragon. Much stronger than a horse dragon. Even if Questra would mature soon, she would be no match at all to the power a thunder could call upon. Questra would be physically stronger, but physical strength was nothing against magical strength or being able to use the powers of nature. A sliver of frustration crept in him, wishing he or Questra had some kind of magic to use. Lowering his head again, he continued listening to the proceedings, wondering what Drac would decide.

Malice huffed but didn't speak for a bit since he didn't want to risk letting anything else out. After backing off a bit more and allowing the breeze to pick up into a wind he spoke.

"Like you would believe me even if I told you."

The tension wasn't abating in fact Malice's tension was getting revved up if anything else, and in order to solve this Gelltor felt it prudent to leave and calm his dragon down personally.

"I apologize for my unwanted presences Sire, if you would grant me permission to excuse myself to avoid any farther offense."

He wasn't any less nervous then Katelyn but he was much more skilled at restraining it's presence, he did not sweat nor was there a tone of fear in his voice. Only the respect due to his lord and master was carried on his words, this was something he had practiced in the past when dealing with people of dubious intent, his poker face of sorts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio looked over at the obviously dissatisfied Matthew and decided to walk over and lean against the rail next to him.

"What is with you? I mean if she is lying the group of us could totally take her down."

Ayos shook his head but said nothing he instead simply placed himself beside Questra. Rio nudged Matthew playfully.

"Come on, we're basically a large group of saviors in training and she is just one rider, what could possibly go wrong?"

Rio said with a smile.

Ryoka returned Solara's gaze, it was clear she was a bit confused with why she was being trusted but was grateful for it at the same. Ryoka soon chuckled upon hearing the comment about trust among Hyro's forces. So Hyro's forces still don't trust each other, but who can blame them, she thought.

I find it odd how the others seem to trust us even though they've never met us before now, but they clearly hate Solara and her dragon.

I hate to break it to you, but the lightning is more of a threat than you my dear.

That comment immediately shut up the alt black who was circling over the ship, looking more like a vulture than dragon. It was a good thing Revy had gone quiet, Solara had just started her speech up again, which Ryoka listened to in silence. Solara had made many good points, most of which she agreed on completely. "I think an extra pair of hands or in the case of your dragon claws would be appreciated," she said pausing a moment before looking over at Drac. "I'm also willing to help with training the hatchlings and riders, if that would help put your mind at ease."

Revy wasn't happy in the least with the idea of working with the lightning dragon, but remained silent as she changed her circling pattern to a lazy glide above the ship. It wasn't like her and Ryoka has won favor with the NDK just yet and she needed to be on her best behavior for once. This didn't stop the dragon from sending off annoyed vibes to her rider, who was ignoring the dragon as best she could.

Sleet snorted and gave a strange grin, teeth showing. Stopping in his tracks, he just sat down and glared at Malice. The wind didn't bother him the slighest bit. at least not this amount and strength of wind Malice was using to try and scare him off. It actually amused him to see the big and scary Malice feeling annoyed, it gave Sleet the idea of having the upper hand. As if wanting to show the wind didn't scare him small drops of hail, formed of melting and freezing icicles on his wings, fell from his wings and to the ground. Though he kept his eyes fixed on the Grey dragon, Sleet decided he would have to experiment with his icy powers. It appeared he could do more with it than he had always thought. In an attempt to lure Malice into saying more, Sleet just tried to placate him.

"You'd be amazed what I can believe..."

+++++++

Looking aside at Rio, Matthew shook his head slightly.

"Where have you been the past weeks, Rio? You know how the riders of Hyro are. Would you trust any of them? If what she says is true, she used to be one of them. Does that make her automatically trustworthy? A fox doesn't lose his cunning." Looking aside for a moment, his eyes locked on the form of Ryoka, another one he had his doubts about. But she didn't seem to have any links with Hyro, which made for Matthew the case of Solara more important. Suddenly hearing Ryoka speak up for Solara, his doubt about the girl changed into a question whether or not those two were working together.

“I’ll take your word that if Hyro’s motives suddenly run parallel to yours we’ll be given a warning first and you’ll leave peacefully, as opposed to just slitting our throats while we’re asleep. Other than that, welcome. We are sadly under-trained; any help you can give would be much appreciated. I’m going to check on Bramble and then to sleep. We should reach the elven flotilla by morning.” Drac nodded to Ryoka; he had just assumed she was part of the elven delegation.

Hyro nodded, snapping his fingers at a nearby aide, scrawling down some orders and placing his signet on them before rolling them up and sealing them.

“Fine, but even with these losses you’ll need to split them up into divisions, at least five. You will personally lead the First and Sleet will be fitted with the flag-dragon pennants. Formations should be no more than eleven but no less than six, with around seven formations to a division. Assemble everything else to your satisfaction, and I’ll have Carlyle rummage through the library for some formation manoeuvres. They will be in your quarters by morning. Run some formations with the army and the navy, these you will have to invent yourself.” Hyro listed off Katelyn’s duties, calling over another aide and writing down another set of orders.

“Give these to Taja. I’m betting there will be some residual connection to that black of hers.” Hyro walked away but suddenly turned, walking part of the way back to Katelyn. “Burn all of the bodies, we don’t have that kind of room. Unless there is anyone specific that needs bringing back. Oh, and about Gelltor. Break him or kill him. You can’t have that kind of insubordination within the ranks. It’s just bad business.” Leaving properly this time Hyro signed off a number more letters.

The elvish captain looked over the slowly building dissidence within the younger members of the NDK and shook his head. Drac may not have expected command but he had it now, and the captain just hoped the man was dense and truly didn’t know what was happening. Either way, he needed a little bit of help.

“From what I heard Hyro had dozens of those drakes all around the country in a blanket-sweep. One of them was sure to have found you, so it’s hardly Drac’s fault. The signal was insisted upon by the admiralty board; anything invisible could be faked, and anything less than that massive explosion couldn’t be seen by the Flotilla. We’re several dozen miles out; we only got her this fast due to some really quite experimental teleportation magic. Besides; he’s escaped from the jails of Rythos not once, but twice and took around a dozen people with him; nobody escapes from Rythos.” The captain debated within himself on sharing more; it was hardly a secret but no man would really like to have it bandied about that he’d died.

“Most of his extravagant use of magic probably comes from having died, twice, both of which are due to your own father: whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and Drac pushes that boundry as far as it will go. He will not die again for anything less than old age. JENKINS, coil that rope properly or I’ll come over there and beat you with it.” He roared, noticing that one of the younger ensigns had tried to take advantage of his captain’s split attention.

Edited by Kjakings

Gelltor had already taken his leave before Katelyn had fully received her orders and so missed the part about breaking him.

"Malice calm down, your just making the situation with Sleet worse, just leave and go to your stable, and don't answer any of his questions!"

Malice growled but complied he turned and walked away from Sleet heading straight for his stable. The wind did not die down and Malice watched his back in case Sleet tried something.

"I'm sorry, it just slipped out."

"Of course it did, and I overstayed my welcome at the meeting we may be in a little trouble so we will just have to lay low for a bit until things blow over and we are off of Hyro's radar."

A servant walked past Gelltor and was handed a small sum, the man left quickly as he was bidden to find information on Katelyn's history for Gelltor.

"What about Katelyn?"

"It is being taken care of; we should have everything we need to figure out exactly where her loyalty lies by tomorrow."

Gelltor proceeded to Malice's stable as well and met the dragon there. In this rare occasion Gelltor took the time to groom the Gray dragon. This made Malice uneasy since Gelltor only did this when he was nervous. Gelltor had good reason to be nervous; so much as the hint of a plan and possible proof would be enough to bring Katelyn and the royal guard down on him and Malice, not to mention that they might get a visit anyways due to his insubordination.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio was amazed at Drac's little record but still wasn't convinced that the big flare was the best approach, however the captains words were enough to make her trust Drac fully and begin to dislike what she saw as the elves’ mistrust of him, she didn't hold anything against the elves present but would certainly like to have some questions brought up to the board the man had mentioned. She didn't particularly like being almost killed because they were seen.

"You know Matthew, we trusted Bramble with our lives only moment's ago, not to mention that it really isn't that hard to believe that Hyro's own troops might want to leave, they could be just like us and were forced into his service rather then volunteering. I think you should have more faith in people."

Ayos interjected on Matthew's behalf.

"Matthew is right Rio. We have no reason to trust her and yet you basically invite her down for tea. Listen you need to wizen up otherwise you’re going to get the both of us killed and probably a great many more people here as well."

Rio flinched back at Ayos's berating and hung her head in defeat.

((By the way, I actually did make formations: user posted image

They were made for something else, but I still like them. The weight classes in this refer to combat ability. So blacks and guardians would be heavyweights, but pinks and purples lightweights, with the ones in between being middleweights (but not all of them). Magi and Reds would be specials, and mebbe some others. Obviously, non-flight dragons don't factor into this.))

Katelyn had stood up straight and nodded at his instructions. Information on possible formations would certainly come in handy. She was sure most of the force would grumble and be dissatisfied - to say the least - to have to train with the others, but it was a key point if they wanted to finally win from the NDK. Upon hearing his instructions about Gelltor, a slight shock went through her, but she masked it well. Break him or kill him? Breaking Gelltor seemed near on impossible and killing him... Despite the fact the man drew the blood from under her nails, he did come in handy once in a while. Bowing as Hyro left, Katelyn took a step backwards and then turned on her heels, leaving through the corridors and hallways back to her quarters.

As she just went outside, she called one of the servants passing by to find the elf Alexander and order him to come to Katelyn's quarters, as well as let two new saddles for the ice dragon be ordered. First she passed by those working on the dead and joined them in the cellars. Scanning the bodies, she didn't think any of them could be of much use anymore. So she ordered for all of the dead to be burned, including those of the NDK which had fallen. Before she left again, she called out the order for everybody of the force to be present the next morning at sunrise on the training fields. Orders were to be passed around so every single knight would be present. Moving away again, she went to her quarters and lifted a brow upon seeing Sleet perched outside like a guard dog.

Anything the matter?

Yes something the matter! Why did you block me out!

Meeting with Hyro, didn't want to risk anything. What happened?

Malice, that's what happened. Something is going on with those two. But what happened in there?

I'm still myself, if that's what you mean. Hyro ordered me to break Gelltor or kill him.

-

Yeah, I know. We're going to need some inside information about him.

I was close to getting something out of Malice. He slipped and was hard pressed to get out.

What did he say?

Something about them needing you, but it didn't exactly sound like a warm heartfelt need.

Hyro gave me permission to train the troupes and I think Gelltor and Malice are going to have it hard...

Sleet let out something resembling a dragon chuckle and Katelyn slapped him against the nose, grinning as well.

"Come on, let's get that saddle of you." Moving inside Sleet's private stable, Katelyn took his saddle of and started rubbing him down. The ice dragon visibly enjoyed it, a low rumble coming from his throat. Katelyn felt a little elated as well, having survived her first personal report to Hyro. For today, she planned on having only the meeting with Alexander and making the plans for their first training.

+++++++

Matthew listened to Rio and Ayos' conversation with light amusement. He had listened to the little list about Drac as well and had to admit he was impressed. But if a man had gone through all that, it didn't mean he wasn't mad. On contrary even, as Matthew could believe a man could go mad by going through all that. He knew he would for even less. But there wasn't much they could do. They needed a leader and Drac was the only one everybody seemed to listen to. Turning back to Rio and Ayos, he slowly nodded.

"Actually... you are both right. Fact is though that Bramble came to us without a rider and protected us from Hyro's forces. At this moment, Solara did not prove herself yet. True, Brambles fight might as well have been a ruse in order for us to trust him. But Solara hasn't proven herself as yet. True, we need training. Questra here is near to growing up and I for one could use someone to train me properly. But I am not going to trust her to hold my back in a fight. In fact, I'm not even planning to have my unprotected back to her. Allowing her to train us, is something else than trusting her. And trust, she'll have to earn." The purple horse dragon nodded solemnly and then jumped off the railing to land with a heavy thud on the wooden planks. Swishing her tail, she started moving around the vessel in search for some more hay.

Some time had passed and there was no Katelyn and no royal guard. Gelltor relaxed a bit and stopped grooming Malice which helped to bring the gray off of edge.

"Are things really that delicate?"

"Yes, if Katelyn figures out what we are up too we could find ourselves in a public execution. Tread lightly from now on and watch you tongue."

A servant came by and informed Gelltor of the order to show for training tomorrow. Gelltor nodded and sent the servant away with a small sum and instructions to tell another servant not to disturb Gelltor for any reason at all unless it is to say that they are under attack.

"Your not going to try and slip away tomorrow?"

"That would be too suspicious, I will have to send for him sometime during the night tomorrow."

Malice nodded and Gelltor got to thinking quietly to himself for a bit before speaking.

"Malice, how would you feel about using a custom saddle. Much like Sleet's."

The return glare said it all, but Malice added to that to make his point.

"I swear if you even try to put a saddle on me I will make you regret it sorely, why?"

Gelltor sighed, he had expected that response.

"Because it sure would be nice to whip up tornado strength winds without worrying about me being thrown off of your back."

Malice shook his head, he could already tell what this was related too.

"I will think about it. Tomorrow will probably be tough so you better get some rest."

Gelltor stretched a bit and nodded in agreement before leaving to go to his quarters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayos and Rio were both impressed by Matthew's words of wisdom, but Ayos was the only one to share that thought out loud.

"Now there is a bit of wisdom if I ever heard it. Your a lot brighter then you look Matthew. You could probably run for adviser or something."

Rio nodded vigorously in agreement to the adviser statement, she figured Matthew as the only one that could do the job without constantly chastising Drac for his mistakes. She then saw Questra searching about the ship and looking reasonably hungry.

"Hey Questra, if your hungry I have some food here."

Ayos looked up to Rio in puzzlement but then the girl enchanted one of the ship belaying pins to sprout hay at an accelerated growth rate and set it on the deck, Ayos decided to make sure Questra didn't accidentally eat the pin if she decided to munch on the hay, not that it would be easy to do so but better safe then sorry.

The elf listened at the NDK’s conversations, gathering the information she heard and learning fast about them. She agreed with those who told Rio to stop trusting strangers so easily: that factor could cost as much as her life in the future. Not that she didn’t thank that there was someone who did believe in her, though.

Drac’s list didn’t seem to impress her as it did with the others… maybe because she knew Hyro, as if she had worked under his wings for so many years.

He will die of old age? Pssst, I wouldn’t be surprised if lord Hyro casted a spell on him to make him grow old all in a sudden.

But we won’t say anything. If their ray of hope lies over that boy, then we won’t extinguish it.

And now it was time to speak again. Two comments, one that had come from Ayos and another one from Matthew, had amused the former soldier. “A fox doesn’t loose its cunning. You are totally right… but I am not a fox, I am an elf.” She said, a half smile flashing in her face, as she pointed one of her pointy ears. “And I don’t like tea, but thank you.” She looked at Ayos with the corner of her eye before turning and heading towards the Thunder dragon.

She patted one of Asuka’s huge front legs, while she looked up at her and spoke. “I am not looking to gain anyone’s trust. Trust is a two edged weapon that shouldn’t be used lightly.” Solara knew that perfectly well from personal experience. “You shouldn’t give your backs to anyone, not only me. Because as I left Hyro’s side, there could be someone here that may be ready to leave your lines and join him.”

The elf then turned to look at the group and tilted her head. “I won’t give any you my trust either. How can I be sure that any of you won’t slice my throat when I fall asleep? I am pretty sure that most people in this ship might have some kind of resentment towards us, after all… ”

Let them try… the dragoness said, and growled aloud.

“I won’t prove myself to anyone. I am ally now, not a friend. And I will do what I believe its right because I am following my own choices, and not to be accepted between you. But you can be certain that at least for now, our roads run the same way… and that we won’t harm our allies. Forgive me if I am blunt while speaking, but I prefer to be honest than to make up a lie saying that I will do anything to gain your trust.”

And at least she was polite enough to apologise…

------

They told him to stay still because the wounds could re open, but of course the elf disobeyed. He couldn’t stay out of the action while there was so much to do around him… And while he was helping to burn the bodies, a new servant came to tell him that Katelyn was waiting for him again.

This time Malena accompanied him, as she had return from feeding. The Hellfire’s scales looked shiny and clean: it was obvious that she had taken a time to bathe herself in a lake. So, who are we visiting now? She asked, while following the rider by ground. Her steps where graceful but a bit awkward… let’s remember that Wyrm’s do not have front legs, so she used the articulations in her wingtips, which were after a couple of atrophied arms after all, as front paws to walk.

Katelyn and Sleet…

I wonder why is that they got the main quarters… Lord Scarlet jumped in, the mental bond he had with the elf keeping him in touch with both of them.

I believe that we will find out that soon…

Now in front of the door, Alexander knocked on the wood with one fist and awaited for the new second in command to receive him.

Edited by Mystic_Solara

((Those formations look very familiar.))

Ryoka was mildly impressed with the fact that Drac had died twice, but knowing who his father was it wasn't much of a shock. Her attention was soon turned towards the poor man who had gotten yelled at by the captain, which knowing him he would go through with his word of beating him with the rope. With his attention seemingly back on the crew Ryoka made use of the time to take her leave, stepping back and turning on her heel as she did so. She only paused long enough to listen to Solara's speech, as soon as Solara had finished speaking Ryoka made her way to one of the sides where the railing wasn't being taken up by a hatchling or rider and looked over the edge staring at the water.

Well this is an interesting group that we've gotten ourselves mixed up in isn't it?

We could do worse. You're thinking about things too much, like Solara we aren't looking for their immediate trust plus we have the elven nation that would support us.

I'm not about to rely on my own race to save our hide considering they can claim we went back to Hyro's side.

Revy immediately regretted her words and it was very obvious from their link that she had touched on a sore subject, which brought up memories of when they had escaped from Hyro's grasp. Their escape hadn't been pretty either considering the pair had to kill off a fellow rider and dragon who had been the only ones they had trusted out of all of Hyro's forces, only to have it turned against them in a fight to the death. Ryoka then shook her head trying to clear her mind of the vivid images of the dead rider and dragon, while at the same time cutting the link with Revy as best she could to try and keep her from worrying.

At Ayos' comment of being an adviser, Matthew quickly shook his head.

"No thank you. I prefer staying in the background. Wouldn't want to be the one responsible for some bad decision. Call me a coward, but it's easier to stay in the background and make comments than step forwards and act on those comments..." Dismissing those ideas for the moment, he inclined his head slightly at the speech of Solara. At least she didn't try to sweet-talk them into trust, which was not a bad sign. She said herself not to trust her, so she wouldn't expect their trust either. He had to admit it seemed to be honest. Giving a shrug, he locked his eyes on the elf.

"Then we agree not to trust eachother, a wise decision. I for one will indeed keep my trust for myself, but me and my dragon would profit from a bit of training. Tell me, do you know of excercises or anything for rider and near to maturing hatchling to do?" Questra almost leaped upon the hay sprouting from one of the belaying pins. When observing her, many would think her to be a bit dim or have little intelligence. After all, she always seemed to act on her instincts, follow Matthew like a dog would and never talk - besides her mental link with Matthew which nobody could hear anyhow. But in truth the horse dragon wasn't all too daft. She just found it easier to pretend to be, so nobody expected much of her. It could be a great asset to be underestimated. Munching happily on the hay, she cast a glance at one of the other elves.

Matthew, ten o' clock. Female elf with the long blonde hair.

What about her?

She acts weird.

How so?

She wasn't with us earlier and it looks like she's part of the ship's crew, but the other crew members act as if she's one of us.

A spy?

But Questra remained silent as to that opinion. Matthew glanced from Solara to the blonde elf woman, deciding he would check out her story later on.

+++++++

Hearing the knock, Katelyn stopped grooming Sleet, patted him on the nose and walked into her own room. Opening the door, she inclined her head at Alexander and let him in. Looking behind him, she acknowledged his dragon as well.

"If your dragon wishes to be present, there is room in Sleet's stable from which she can follow the conversation." As if to prove so, Sleet's head appeared through the double doors between Katelyn's room and the stable. Starting to pace the room slowly, Katelyn kept her eyes fixed on Alexander's face. The whole time the ice dragon kept silent, but his eyes were fixed on Alexander as well. Were he to try anything to harm or endanger his rider, it was obvious the ice dragon would spring to action before Katelyn could be hurt.

"It has come to my ears that you were wounded in a fight with your sister. As you might have heard in the meanwhile, Taja is no longer in a state of mind to take up command of the forces. Hyro appointed me to be the new second-in-command and as his second-in-command it is of course my job to find out what exactly happened. Your sister apparently decided she no longer wished to be part of Hyro's forces and you can understand we have to know if you knew on beforehand and where you own loyalties lie. If I am not mistaken are Solara and you twins and blood runs thicker than loyalty, or so some claim." Stopping right before him, Katelyn stood straight up with her hands clasped behind her back. The second reason she had let the elf come to her, she would only ask after she had some prove of his future prospects. No point in trusting someone with your back if that person were planning on betraying them after all.

Edited by BlackScorpion7