Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Nice, but the pose is kinda bland. Try lifting one of the front legs in an abouttostomp pose.

And this being the sprite practice thread, I felt the need to say this (but have forgotten several times): I will gladly help anyone with their sprites if they just PM me. I'm saying that here because there was nowhere else to say it.

Try to keep the highlights more consistent with the outline. And the outline still seems a little funky in some places.

user posted image

I made that off of a sprite above. Second time shading, improved from my first time shading dramatically. (By first time shading I mean first time shading a dragon!)

I shaded the sprite lines, but the shading seems off. Help would be nice.

user posted image

There's a flat section of the body against the far right border, and the inside of the far right curve looks awkward... the curve seems too sharp. Also the body seems to taper and end far too quickly.

As for the shading, it looks good for the most part, but you might want to tone down the hilights on the far horn; as it is it is difficult to tell which horn is in front and which is behind. And the shading on the far right curve does not turn like the body does; it's too flat.

user posted image

I made that off of a sprite above. Second time shading, improved from my first time shading dramatically. (By first time shading I mean first time shading a dragon!)

There's too much middle ground with no shading, and the light source seems oddly defined. Pick one light source and stick to it, but don't have it coming directly from the viewer's perspective.

Okay, time for my own pieces. I just recently started spiriting, and could use some crits.

user posted image

This is my first attempt, though I have gotten tones of crits on it already, I'm still not quite sure whether to call it done or not. Looking for help with shading and maybe even lines if need be.

user posted image

Second try, this one from a reference. Crits on lines, please?

For the Dragon, it looks good for the most part, but its neck seems a bit awkward. There are also some strange flat lines on the legs. The far wing is oddly shaped, too.

For the cat, it wouldn't hurt to lose the left. Also, replace a few of those separation lines during shading smile.gif

user posted image

Arg that stupid neck. It's been the source of nearly all my troubles with this sprite. I redid the shading to make the muscle line curve more like the plates. Any better? Which legs are you talking about, and do you mean lines or shading? I also tried a new position with the back wing.

And with the cat what do you mean by "loose the left"?

All of the legs have straight lines ^-^'

And sorry for the confusion with the cat. That was my derp. I meant lose the left line of the head. The one that seems to be separating the neck and body.

Edited by Psycho Cat

user posted image

How are the legs now (just the basic shape, I'll worry about shading later)?

user posted image

Ohhh okay. So like this? Assuming you mean the cat's left side.

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

No, this is what I meant (area in red)

user posted image

Do you mind if I poke around the sprite a bit?

user posted image

Now I get what you mean. And sure, knock yourself out! laugh.gif Just don't do anything to drastic to it.

"Just don't do anything to drastic to it"

*totally overkills edits*

user posted image

You like?

I do like. A lot. But it no longer looks like the ref I was using, and I kinda wanted to stick to that (since I was gonna use it for shading help too). If you could do minor edits that be great wink.gif Sorry 'bout that.

ETA:

user posted image

Fudged with a few pixels on the tail.

Made the sprite.

user posted image

Colored the sprite.

user posted image

Sketch by angelicdragonpuppy

Edited by Tardigrade

user posted image

Just spent the past few hours on this. I'm not gonna do anything else with it, but crits would be appreciated :3

Day off, bored, figured I would try spriting for the first time

user posted image

From AngelKitty's lines in OP.

Wouldn't call this done, I can see I need a few more layers of shades n highlights. But other than that, Crits?

Edit, Added more shades, better?

user posted image

Edited by rumor33

I decided to try my hand at coming up with a dragon species of my own, and I ended up with these guys!

user posted image

They're supposed to be diamond dragons that start out as coal, but eventually shed portions of their coal shell to reveal they're diamond scales!

I'm still working on the wings, as well as adding some finishing touches, but yeah! The male's on the top with diamond horns to use in territory battles, the female's on the bottom with diamonds on their tails to protect themselves and their young. Let me know what you guys think!

Love the idea, but the head looks a bit big and the body is kind of... tall? >^.^<

Edited by Wallie987

SOOOO I was bored in class while in the computer lab and came up with this:

user posted image

I was just messing around with colors and patterns (Though I'm pretty happy about how the gradient in the background turned out!) and am not going to doing anything else to it, but I would appreciate some crits on shading and stuff.

And then there's the cat...

user posted image

I was given the go ahead to color and shade and am pretty much calling it done, but again I'd like some crits on shading and stuff. (This is the ref I used, in case anyone was wondering.)

In front and to the left, I think. I agree it's hard to tell, especially on the ref. I should probably just redo the shading... meh.

I am a good splicer and recolorer but I struggle with spriting. Help?